PDA

View Full Version : Anyone take Energy Asset Management @ SAIT?

Vmack
03-05-2013, 08:02 AM
I'm looking for potential career opportnuities. After not being accepted to any of the health care programs through SAIT (still waiting for nuclear), I figured its time to look at different programs.
based on the info from sait and alis it sounds like something I would do.

My concern is job market (alis says its an emerging occupation start ~53k).
Has anyone taken it or know someone who has that can provide some input or experience with the program?

also curious about petroleum land administration?
(I'm hoping to relocate to calgary and work in/near calgary for what its worth and would prefer not to be up north or "in the fields"

woodywoodford
03-05-2013, 09:32 AM
I'm not sure what it is exactly, but if it has to do with the energy companies trading desks and hedging their resources/etc, you're going be up against some serious competition from the finance crowds at university's...

Vmack
03-05-2013, 09:55 AM
yeah I figured it'd be something like that. likely means i'd be screwed pretty hard in trying to find a job when competing with the degree students :/

FraserB
03-05-2013, 10:00 AM
Has nothing to do with trading or hedging. I'll post more later when I'm off my phone, I was in the first graduating class for this.

Vmack
03-05-2013, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by FraserB
Has nothing to do with trading or hedging. I'll post more later when I'm off my phone, I was in the first graduating class for this.
thanks man
hit me with all the info you can!

HiTempguy1
03-05-2013, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by Vmack

My concern is job market (alis says its an emerging occupation start ~53k).

So... there is something wrong with $53k to start? No offense, but people with degrees sometimes start out not earning much more than that. Especially if it's an office job with RRSP matching and the like...

You are looking into a diploma and only two years of your life. I'd expect (and did) start at a lower wage than people who spent 4 years of their life and a lot of money to get a degree.

Vmack
03-05-2013, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by HiTempguy1

So... there is something wrong with $53k to start? No offense, but people with degrees sometimes start out not earning much more than that. Especially if it's an office job with RRSP matching and the like...

You are looking into a diploma and only two years of your life. I'd expect (and did) start at a lower wage than people who spent 4 years of their life and a lot of money to get a degree.
sorry i didnt say that with the intent of implying it was a bad wage. Thats what i expected to start around, i fully understand how the wage market works. I am more concerned with actual job opportunity and if its something there is hope in finding or are there little to no jobs to go after

superflychief
03-05-2013, 11:53 AM
Energy asset managment is managing leases for mineral and surface rights. Managing the contracts between partners that govern those rights as well. I took the big brother degree of this in university called Petroleum Land Management. I spent almost 9 yrs at Encana and have been at Cenovus for about 9mths. I am no longer part of EAM but I am reporting on these assets. I've done both lease admin and contracts analysis. I have a fair bit of experience. The industry is a bit tough to get into now since prices aren't great but ofcourse that can change in a yr or 2. I started out of university making a hair over 50k. If you have any specific questions or want some guidance in the field, shoot me a PM and we can chat.

Greg

FraserB
03-05-2013, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by superflychief
Energy asset managment is managing leases for mineral and surface rights. Managing the contracts between partners that govern those rights as well. I took the big brother degree of this in university called Petroleum Land Management. I spent almost 9 yrs at Encana and have been at Cenovus for about 9mths. I am no longer part of EAM but I am reporting on these assets. I've done both lease admin and contracts analysis. I have a fair bit of experience. The industry is a bit tough to get into now since prices aren't great but ofcourse that can change in a yr or 2. I started out of university making a hair over 50k. If you have any specific questions or want some guidance in the field, shoot me a PM and we can chat.

Greg

Perfect description. I didn't get a job in the field but talking with people who did, that salary will be about right to start. I can help with any questions about the program if you want.

Vmack
03-05-2013, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by FraserB

Perfect description. I didn't get a job in the field but talking with people who did, that salary will be about right to start. I can help with any questions about the program if you want.

you didn't get a job in the field because a better opportunity came up or were there no opportunities?
Is it a program you'd suggest to others looking to start up a life and career in calgary? (im 22 and single looking to move to calgary)

leftwing
03-05-2013, 09:12 PM
Here, check this out if you haven't already:

http://alis.alberta.ca/occinfo/Content/RequestAction.asp?aspAction=GetTitlesSearchEmergingOccs&Page=EmergingOccs&SNT_ID=55&format=html

ALIS has it listed as an emerging occupation, suggesting that it may have above average growth (as an industry/occupation).

Click on the "Energy Asset Management Professional" link and it will have a bunch of information for you.

Type_S1
03-05-2013, 09:33 PM
People 5 years out from this program make ~70k. Someone with 10 years can easily make over 100k if you are actually valuable. To be honest a lot of individuals in these types of roles are easily replaceable but if you are good you are invaluable.

Most companies at the moment are looking for mid-level administrators. This is because most companies are struggling and can't afford a salary on the books that is not directly adding value.

Honestly I would suggest this program to anyone who doesn't have 4 years to get a degree as it is extremely easy work. In the end you are a paper pusher/data entry expert but can easily evolve into much more if you take the job seriously, work your ass off and ask for every type of job there is.

Vmack
03-05-2013, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by Type_S1
People 5 years out from this program make ~70k. Someone with 10 years can easily make over 100k if you are actually valuable. To be honest a lot of individuals in these types of roles are easily replaceable but if you are good you are invaluable.

Most companies at the moment are looking for mid-level administrators. This is because most companies are struggling and can't afford a salary on the books that is not directly adding value.

Honestly I would suggest this program to anyone who doesn't have 4 years to get a degree as it is extremely easy work. In the end you are a paper pusher/data entry expert but can easily evolve into much more if you take the job seriously, work your ass off and ask for every type of job there is.
thanks man, thats some really good information. Did you take the program or are you working closely with anyone in the profession? I've always had a great mind for business but have always pushed myself towards healthcare (family pressure), and now I'm just wanting to make a good decision for my future.

So far for what little information i've found, it sounds like a pretty good option

FraserB
03-06-2013, 12:08 AM
If you apply yourself it is an easy program, a basic understanding of how the O&G field works will be very helpful as well. With this program it is very important to actually network with industry when SAIT provides that opportunity and to try your hardest to get a summer position.

I'll answer the PMs I got tomorrow, hopefully before noon.

Vmack
03-10-2013, 11:34 AM
so I'm really considering this, but now I find out that Manitoba wont give me a gov loan/grant for this program because its not on their list :/ that makes this one a difficult option to make realistic this year... I'm really wanting to move out there soon