PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Civic or 2013 Scion TC?

Mitsu3000gt
03-05-2013, 12:02 PM
A friend of mine is going to be buying one of these two cars - apparently he knows someone at each dealer and can get a deal of some kind, so it will be one of these two.

It will be financed new, and it will be an automatic. He is not a car guy at all.

I am familiar with the Civics, but I know literally nothing about Scion's.

Cost aside, would you rather have a 2012 Civic 2 door coupe (not the SI) or a 2013 Scion TC? both brand new. Is one obviously the better car than the other?

I was thinking Civic just because it's less of a niche car and may be easier to repair and sell later, but I am not sure.

Thanks for any input!

FullFledgedYYC
03-05-2013, 12:15 PM
Resale on the civic will be much higher... that being said I have found the civics, especially the 2012s, to be some of the cheapest built cars on the road. Since the guy knows nothing about cars and likely won't even notice the corners cut by Honda, get the civic.

Sentry
03-05-2013, 12:18 PM
Whichever one he likes better/can get cheaper, depending on what his priority is.

Mechanically they're going to be very much the same to a non car person. Scion will feel like it has a little more "balls" as it's a 2.4L vs a 1.8L and has a decent bit more horsepower as well.

A 2 door Civic isn't any less of a niche car than a tC. They both offer the same level of utility.

I can't tell you which one I would get because I wouldn't get either. :dunno: :D

Twin_Cam_Turbo
03-05-2013, 12:20 PM
Out of those two, the TC, its a bit faster and 1 model year newer will help resale down the road IMO.

K3RMiTdot
03-05-2013, 12:36 PM
civic i personally think the TC is mad ugly

Mitsu3000gt
03-05-2013, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by Sentry
A 2 door Civic isn't any less of a niche car than a tC. They both offer the same level of utility.

By Niche I just meant that there are probably 100 Civics on the road for every Scion, Honda dealerships are more plentiful than Scion dealerships, and I would think it would be easier to sell a Civic than a Scion, especially since the average car buyer knows very little.

I gathered that the Scion would be a little more fun to drive with the extra displacement, but the Civic seemed like the more sensible choice overall. I know 2012 was their low point, as they tried to get their MSRP down as much as possible.

My initial thought was that they would both be so similar that it wouldn't really matter what he chose, I just wanted to see if there were anything I was missing.

Sentry
03-05-2013, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
My initial thought was that they would both be so similar that it wouldn't really matter what he chose
Ding ding ding ding

heavyD
03-05-2013, 12:59 PM
He should get the one he likes best as Honda vs Toyota is apples to apples. Both boring and reliabile. Me personally I would go TC as it's more distinct.

whiskas
03-05-2013, 01:14 PM
Don't even consider a 2012 civic, look at the 2013's instead as they are far and away a much better car. Honda realized they fucked up and did a quick refresh because of it.

FullFledgedYYC
03-05-2013, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by whiskas
Don't even consider a 2012 civic, look at the 2013's instead as they are far and away a much better car. Honda realized they fucked up and did a quick refresh because of it.

Obvious recommendation, but I am sure part of the reason he is getting a killer price on a 2012 is because dealers are clearing them out at whatever price it takes.

TopGearUK
03-09-2013, 09:11 PM
I strongly recommend considering a 4 door Civic (auto). Better demand in the used car market (if well maintained)...