PDA

View Full Version : Streaming Videos

sexualbanana
03-05-2013, 07:02 PM
My parents have started streaming a lot of their Chinese shows/movies from various sites. However, the performance is often choppy, or runs into constant buffer problems. I'm trying to come up with a fix for it, but of course, being just barely computer literate, I'm trying to diagnose and fix the issues.

I think the biggest issue is the laptop my parents are using. It's an HP Compaq CQ62-215DX. Which, from what I can find, is a basic entry-level computer. I presume that since it's a few years old, the wireless adapter is probably shit, and since it's pre-built by HP, I'm assuming it probably can't be upgraded (right?).

The guy at Staples (of all places) my Dad talked to said that the router could be the problem. I don't have much a problem streaming to my Mac, although I do have issues with video quality on Netflix, and lag on League Pass (especially if I try to watch more than one game at once). I thought about moving my modem to near my TV, but then that means slower speeds on my desktop, which is where do most of my torrent downloading.

Sorry for the long post, but that's the predicament I'm in. Suggestions?

Kloubek
03-05-2013, 07:09 PM
I stream movies from time to time, and the biggest cause of a slow stream is not due to the computer as much as it is the connection. Is there any way to hard wire it with an ethernet cable? If you can, I'm pretty certain that will clear up your problems.

sexualbanana
03-05-2013, 08:27 PM
I wish I could just use a second modem, but as per my other thread, it's stupid to have to pay a "second line" from Shaw.

Thaco
03-05-2013, 08:29 PM
Dont use wireless, it's poo

Zorac
03-05-2013, 08:40 PM
try pausing your torrents when you run into problems on your streaming

BigShow
03-05-2013, 08:55 PM
Cat 6 , hard wire