PDA

View Full Version : Need a plumber to fix a leak

Pacman
03-07-2013, 06:14 PM
I've got a small wet spot on my ceiling on the main floor. It's 2' by 2' in diameter. Directly above the room is the master bathroom and I estimated the toilet is directly above.

Can anyone suggest a good, honest plumber who can assess and fix the problem?

I've read various threads on here, but some of the people I have called are not available.

Thanks
Pac

SJW
03-07-2013, 07:39 PM
May seem weird but my house had the bathtub drain loose. It wasn't a problem until my GF moved in and started having a bath. The hydrostatic pressure of teh water acting on the seal caused a leak.

We're you having baths?

Exact same thing happened to my brother.

Pacman
03-07-2013, 07:47 PM
My wife has been having a bath lately, but it's in another bathroom upstairs and not above the wet spot in the ceiling.

UndrgroundRider
03-07-2013, 09:47 PM
I have used Cold Frog a few times now for service and for a reno project. Very happy with the service and quality. 403-775-6832. They are 24/7 I believe.

sputnik
03-08-2013, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by SJW
May seem weird but my house had the bathtub drain loose. It wasn't a problem until my GF moved in and started having a bath. The hydrostatic pressure of teh water acting on the seal caused a leak.

We're you having baths?

Exact same thing happened to my brother.

It could also be a leaky overflow drain.

Happened to me in my first house.

leftwing
03-20-2013, 03:02 PM
Well, I guess I can add to the thread for future readers...

My hot water tank took a shit last night...wasn't urgent, but I had to turn off hot water due to a decent leak.

I read this thread, so I tried Cold Frog as per suggestion. It was after business hours (about 6:30PM) so I was directed to the 24/7 line and got no response. The voicemail recording said to leave a message or text message the number for a quicker response. Well I left a voicemail and also sent a text message with no response still. It's the following business day now, I thought they might follow up, but I guess not. This my was experience with their service.

I then called Pete the Plumber to see if I could get in for the next day (today). I left a voicemail with them stating my info and my problem. I received a call at exactly 8:00AM this morning, but unfortunately they could not get me in until tomorrow. It is unfortunate because they lost my business because of this, not exactly their fault though.

Finally, I called Mr. Rooter at 8:30AM today and they had someone at my house by 11:00AM. The guy and his apprentice (I assume) were very professional and the work they did was great. I ended up having to get a new hot water tank (my old one was 16 years old!!) and they were able to install it in about 2.5 hours. I would definitely recommend using these guys. From my research Mr. Rooter's prices are middle ground...not the most expensive 'nor the cheapest I found. I am very happy overall.

G
03-20-2013, 03:23 PM
What size of tank and how much was the final bill. I faced something similar last month at my rental. I was only able to get arpi out the same day. Cost around $1k for a 40G. I know I could've got it done for cheaper but when the tenants need hot water I can't really tell them to wait a few days so that I can save a few bucks. Renting > Ownership.

leftwing
03-20-2013, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by G
What size of tank and how much was the final bill. I faced something similar last month at my rental. I was only able to get arpi out the same day. Cost around $1k for a 40G. I know I could've got it done for cheaper but when the tenants need hot water I can't really tell them to wait a few days so that I can save a few bucks. Renting > Ownership.

Final bill was $1136.00 all in for a 40G Bradford White water heater

aypi
03-20-2013, 04:34 PM
When silcraft did mine. I paid $1000-1100 for a BW 50G tank. I think a lot of the members here use them for their plumbing needs including rage2 because this is where I found out about them. Very nice people and easy to deal with.

ipeefreely
03-21-2013, 07:51 AM
Originally posted by aypi
When silcraft did mine. I paid $1000-1100 for a BW 50G tank. I think a lot of the members here use them for their plumbing needs including rage2 because this is where I found out about them. Very nice people and easy to deal with.
Guess you missed this tread! How much did your hot water tank cost? (http://forums.beyond.ca/st/364200/how-much-did-your-hot-water-tank-cost/)

:rofl: :rofl:

jampack
01-05-2017, 12:44 PM
BUMP! Read other threads and this is the one that fits my concern.

I noticed a stain on the ceiling of our living room today.. Appears to be a line and the guest full bath is just on top of it. Any recommendations for a plumber to assess and fix the leak?

Thanks everyone!

speedog
01-05-2017, 01:12 PM
What I find interesting is in one of the above posts that it took a plumber and their apprentice 2.5 hours to replace a water heater tank. Seems like a long time considering I did my own 40 gallon by myself in 90 minutes.

redblack
10-03-2017, 09:12 PM
Bump

Looking for a plumber to detect a leak from my upstairs main bathroom. Any recommendations?

Darell_n
10-04-2017, 07:09 AM
What I find interesting is in one of the above posts that it took a plumber and their apprentice 2.5 hours to replace a water heater tank. Seems like a long time considering I did my own 40 gallon by myself in 90 minutes.

Same as me, including bringing my tank back to Home Depot for warranty replacement first.