PDA

View Full Version : Vinyl Players/Turntable

TYMSMNY
03-08-2013, 08:37 PM
Who, what, and where to purchase a decent unit? Just looking to play some music at home and/or the office (depends on where I end up leaving it)

Decent components, first one so nothing bank breaking.

suggestions?

DENZILDON
03-08-2013, 08:49 PM
What's you budget? Turntable only?

flipstah
03-08-2013, 09:23 PM
When no one wanted it, Value Village/Goodwill were full(!) of it.

Now that hipsters have heard of vinyl and touted its' superiority, prices have jacked up.

It's a long shot but I would try those first. Check if the needle is still there and it still spins.

My father and I restored a vintage Motorola turntable radio box that we got from VV for $20 and we love it.

While you're there, look at their turntable collection. That's how I got a Thriller album for $5 before he died. :eek:

Otherwise, audiophile places or Axe Music will have them but they're mostly for DJ'ing.

dj_rice
03-08-2013, 09:31 PM
You can prolli find some used Technics SL1200 MK's on Kijiji for cheap. If you want quality, these are the way to go. But it may be a bit overkill for your needs so even some cheap Numark TT's will do the job. I believe Costco has a vinyl to USB turntable as well they sell from time to time

Not sure if I want to sell mine just yet so if I do I'll let you know.

woodywoodford
03-08-2013, 09:39 PM
My current setup is what I picked up as a student, so it had to be cheap. Found the turntable on kijiji for $80 I think, but it was being sold at a little antique shop somewhere. Also good places to check would be garages sales, pawn shops, or maybe even flea markets. I also had to buy a ~$10 preamp off ebay (wall plug, radioshack only had battery operated), and then a cable to plug it into the auxiliary on my bose soundock. works a treat!

Also they sell the USB turntables all over the place for around $120 I think. Buddy uses one and likes it (they don't only do USB, that's just an extra option)

TYMSMNY
03-08-2013, 10:26 PM
The USB ones let me connect to... ?? not too well versed in this category.

Budget is around $100-200 to start. I don't want to be replacing too many parts just yet. something simple that looks decent.

I just searched for Technics SL1200 on ebay.... way more than what I want to wet my feet with. definitely not a hipster yet. :)

I was browsing and ended up at needledoctor.com, heard pro-ject or music hall was a decent "first time" player. There are so many!!!!

dj_rice
03-08-2013, 10:39 PM
http://www.axemusic.com/store/product/11968/Numark-TTUSB-DJ-Turntable-with-USB-Output/

Numark TT USB $99

http://www.axemusic.com/store/product/21802/Stanton-T.52B-Belt-Drive-DJ-Turntable-with-500.3-Cartridge-and-Slipmat/

$169, even good enough to DJ on :P

Basically you can play vinyl on these decks and transfer it digitally to your computer to listen onto as well.

DENZILDON
03-08-2013, 10:43 PM
USB ones you connect to your computer for recording and using you comp speakers for playback.

For 100 bucks you can get a USB turntable. For $200 probably a Stanton or Numark belt drive turntable.

Go to axe music and check around there. You may also want to check out the clearance section. You can get good deals there if your lucky! That's where they also put the trade ins.

I got an Event Monitor there for $75 (was around $500).

Offroad
03-08-2013, 11:32 PM
http://www.theinnersleeve.com/

firebane
03-08-2013, 11:38 PM
Don't bother with USB stuff its just not the same. Keep your eyes peeled on Kijiji for good deals or go to a couple of the record shops like Melodyia and Heritage as they usually something they are selling as well.

I picked up a nice older Onkyo record playber circa late 70s for $160. Take into consideration that if you buy one you'll either need to pick up a pre-amp or an older receiver with a phono plug in as you won't be able to use it.

DannyO
03-09-2013, 01:20 PM
What ever turntable you get, I would budget more for the needle, this will have a huge affect on how good the music sounds and how much damage it does to the vinyl.

I'm a fan of Ortofon Concordes myself and they have a wide range to choose from, around $100-150 will get you what you need.

FixedGear
03-09-2013, 02:23 PM
Tons of bad advice here from people who obviously don't have a turntable. Basically, you are going to have to spend at least a couple of hundred of bucks if you want to get a solid turntable that isn't a cheap, plastic toy (like the USB decks that you see for $100 at London Drugs). My advice would be to look on Kijiji for an old deck from the 1970s or 1980s. These were built like tanks, made of metal and are very heavy, and won't flex and won't skip the record when you walk by on the floor. Someone mentioned looking for some Technics 1200s, those are good decks but very basic, which makes them great for DJs but not so great for listening to records at home. It would be best to get something that is automatic, so it will return the arm and stop spinning when the record is over. I have a Technics SL-1400, which is the step up from the SL-1200 mentioned above. Fully automatic and digital. I bought mine for about $200 from a guy in Airdire who repairs vintage electronics for a hobby.

http://www.vinylengine.com/images/model/technics_sl1400.jpg

EDIT: and if you're concerned about money, records aren't for you. They generally cost about twice the price of CDs. I paid $40 for Kid A and Amnesiac (and expect to pay even more for limited editions or rare stuff - I just bought Hank III Straight To Hell for $80 shipped from New Zealand). Melodia Records on 17th is the best place for new vinyl in Calgary, Recordland in Inglewood is the best place for used.

msommers
03-09-2013, 02:38 PM
Unless you're able to track down some of the old original vinyls and enjoy the classics, not really sure why you'd want a turntable.

Regarding a setup, get something that is full analog.

FixedGear
03-09-2013, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by msommers
Unless you're able to track down some of the old original vinyls and enjoy the classics, not really sure why you'd want a turntable.

Regarding a setup, get something that is full analog.

Vinyl is great because it sounds better, has bigger (better) artwork, and puts some fun back into listening to music. There's something about the process of taking vinyl out of a sleeve, having to flip it over halfway through, etc. that is lost with the ease of digital music. It keeps me buying music actually, as I really do believe that all intellectual property should be free (and yes I do live by this as I publish science for a living, and like most scientists, I post all of my publications on the internet for free -- which is against the rules of most of the publishers of my work). But, records are worth paying for because I'm paying for the media and it has value. It's like a book, which I also think is worth paying for... But I also download PDF books for my iPad, and would never pay for that unless I had to.

Not sure what you mean by full analog... do you mean USB, or digital control of motor speed? I agree that you don't want a USB out, but the digital control of motor speed on higher-end decks is nice.

MrSector9
03-09-2013, 06:02 PM
digital speed control is fine, it is any digital amplfication/modeling/etc that would be the issue and defeats the purpose of listening to vinyl in the first place by using the "sound" argument, Might as well listen to the music on an ipod with crap earbuds.

http://www.stereophile.com/images/2005brinkbal.promo_.jpg

mass-loaded Balance 'table ($12,900) fitted with a Brinkmann 10.5 tonearm ($3500) and Brinkmann'a EMT-based moving-coil cartridge ($2500)

I do agree, vinyl is about the experience, listening to music is an event that has to be planned haha, not just throw it on and walk away.

firebane
03-09-2013, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by MrSector9
digital speed control is fine, it is any digital amplfication/modeling/etc that would be the issue and defeats the purpose of listening to vinyl in the first place by using the "sound" argument, Might as well listen to the music on an ipod with crap earbuds.

I do agree, vinyl is about the experience, listening to music is an event that has to be planned haha, not just throw it on and walk away.

That looks similar to the one you see in Suits

TYMSMNY
03-09-2013, 06:23 PM
I was just down at the record place in Marda Loop (sorry forgot the name). They had a few selections of players... namely an entry modern one is at about $450. It was a Pro-ject Debut Carbon. Couple of cleaned up vintage ones for about $250. Going to mainly use it for a nice jazz/blues collection.

So if my amp has a phono jack, I don't need a pre-amp?

Not too concerned about the cost of vinyl, just wanted a decent start up system without spending the big bucks. I don't mind upgrading parts down the roads should I get the mod itch.

I'll look on kijiji for some local stuff. What are some brands I should be looking at? Pro-Ject, Technic, ... or should I be looking at the components instead?

MrSector9
03-09-2013, 06:28 PM
no if you have a phono input you do not need a preamp, only if you have a "line in"

firebane
03-09-2013, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by TYMSMNY
I was just down at the record place in Marda Loop (sorry forgot the name). They had a few selections of players... namely an entry modern one is at about $450. It was a Pro-ject Debut Carbon. Couple of cleaned up vintage ones for about $250. Going to mainly use it for a nice jazz/blues collection.

So if my amp has a phono jack, I don't need a pre-amp?

Not too concerned about the cost of vinyl, just wanted a decent start up system without spending the big bucks. I don't mind upgrading parts down the roads should I get the mod itch.

I'll look on kijiji for some local stuff. What are some brands I should be looking at? Pro-Ject, Technic, ... or should I be looking at the components instead?

Anything old :P But before buying anything check availability for parts etc for it. Don't want to spend money on something that won't be fixable or repairable.

FixedGear
03-09-2013, 07:52 PM
you can't go wrong with a Technics deck, they're pretty much the gold standard for turntables. I wouldn't buy anything new, get a used vintage one on Kijiji or from the record store you were in today. $250 is a good price, see if you can talk them down though. Do you remember what the specific models were that they had?

It's too bad, I was trying to give away an extra turntable I had, I ended up selling it with about 300 records to recordland (moved from calgary to mexican border and had to sell most of my collection haha)

FixedGear
03-09-2013, 08:03 PM
http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-electronics-Retro-Sony-turntable-with-cartridge-W0QQAdIdZ460782958

Ponoka http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-electronics-Technics-SL-23-Turntable-W0QQAdIdZ442865713

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-electronics-Vintage-Sony-Turntable-PS-X45-Working-Nice-REDUCED-W0QQAdIdZ442332085

I love the design of this one, but it needs repair apparently http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-electronics-Vintage-Sony-Turntable-PS-1350-Needs-little-TLC-REDUCED-W0QQAdIdZ442351883

TYMSMNY
03-09-2013, 08:07 PM
Wow! Too bad about your table. Would've definitely taken you up on it.

The Ponoka one, noticed that it had a ply platter. Is wood something I should be concerned about due to warping over time?

Belt drive > Direct drive?

FixedGear
03-09-2013, 08:17 PM
belt drive is best for just listening to records, but it probably won't matter too much (I've always had direct drives). I don't think the wood would warp, I mean it's like 30-40 years old, so if it's not warped now it probably won't.

That one needs repair though, if you want I can see if I can dig up the contact info for the guy in Airdrie who I bought mine from. He might even have something for sale.

TYMSMNY
03-09-2013, 08:33 PM
Looking at the two sonys, the X45 is better? The LX22 seems to be a pretty common unit which is good I guess. Same price....

Looks like the X45 could use a new cover.

edit: darn it, now i'm seeing LX520, LX600, etc etc. Can't even google how the model sequences go lol.

TYMSMNY
03-10-2013, 05:13 PM
Just checked my old amp here... has a phono in. 1 piece down!

FixedGear
03-16-2013, 07:08 PM
So did you get a deck yet? Curious to hear what you got!

r3ccOs
03-16-2013, 07:24 PM
vinyl sounds soo much better

I even get my dubstep pressed on wax cause analog is so much better than that crappy digital

its soo much smooother

its ironic

its hipster

its me

honestly unless you have the proper setup, know how to calibrate a tone arm and spend the cash

as well as listen to "music" that was recorded to a r2r, as opposed to being pressed from a digital recording in the first place....

you won't benefit, other than being tremendously hipster and love the irony of losing fidelity by buying some vintage turn table

clearaudio/stax tonearm/grado cartidge ftw

FixedGear
03-16-2013, 07:33 PM
I can't tell what you're trying to say here, are you ripping on vinyl or supporting it?

TYMSMNY
03-16-2013, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by FixedGear
So did you get a deck yet? Curious to hear what you got!

Close to getting a B&O RX table. Needs a new cartridge though...

jaylo
03-17-2013, 08:43 AM
Been saving up to replace my crappy sony one but on this site you can get some idea on how much turntables are brand new

http://store.acousticsounds.com/c/111/Turntables

jaylo
03-17-2013, 08:47 AM
89coupe/InRich special, yours for $27,700

http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/78168/Kuzma-Stabi_XL_MK2_Turntable-Turntables

r3ccOs
03-17-2013, 08:51 AM
I'm saying that hipsters like vinyl to listen to music that was recorded and mastered digitally

which means there are 0, benefits of playing the track on a "deck" or turntable

then... most people don't learn the art, don't learn how to maintain their wax and usually never buy a decent deck

most people end up losing fidelity by doing this, but think the artifacting that Vinyl adds... i.e. the little microphonics and the loss of the fidelity, is smoother

you need to spend real money to get better sound out of a turntable

FixedGear
03-17-2013, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by r3ccOs
I'm saying that hipsters like vinyl to listen to music that was recorded and mastered digitally

which means there are 0, benefits of playing the track on a "deck" or turntable

then... most people don't learn the art, don't learn how to maintain their wax and usually never buy a decent deck

most people end up losing fidelity by doing this, but think the artifacting that Vinyl adds... i.e. the little microphonics and the loss of the fidelity, is smoother

you need to spend real money to get better sound out of a turntable

I don't understand your negativity. It's almost like you're being negative to be negative. Who cares if some people buy cheap decks and don't take dare of their vinyl how you think they should! Many people buy cheap cars and don't take care of the right either... ...and wait! Hipsters drive cars too, therefore anyone who has a car must be a stupid fucking hipster! :rofl:

Obviously the OP was looking for advice so he didn't up with a plastic toy from London Drugs, stop hating dude!

jaylo
03-17-2013, 11:52 AM
The is also a turntable repair shop at 16th Avenue N.W. in between 4th and 10th street where we took our turntable for repair.

The owner is quite a dick but does excellent job on repairs

r3ccOs
03-17-2013, 12:02 PM

I don't understand your negativity. It's almost like you're being negative to be negative. Who cares if some people buy cheap decks and don't take dare of their vinyl how you think they should! Many people buy cheap cars and don't take care of the right either... ...and wait! Hipsters drive cars too, therefore anyone who has a car must be a stupid fucking hipster! :rofl:

Obviously the OP was looking for advice so he didn't up with a plastic toy from London Drugs, stop hating dude!

fine...

REGA planar 3 with an anniversary belt, tri-planer tone arm and a decent cartridge/headshell like a dynavector is where I would suggest

you can probably put together a setup for about 1k, but make sure you good flat clean wax, and use a good cleaning brush and if required, a washer

Ttrak
03-17-2013, 12:03 PM
Just saw a huge selection of vinyl records and handful of players at london drugs in royal oak. Might be worth checking it out.

firebane
03-17-2013, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by Ttrak
Just saw a huge selection of vinyl records and handful of players at london drugs in royal oak. Might be worth checking it out.

Its all crap. London Drugs is catering to the people who have become the type to think that this new vinyl is the same as the vinyl from yesteryear and its not.

I wouldn't waste any money on records bought at London Drugs I would much rather go to a place that has quality over quantity.

FixedGear
03-17-2013, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by r3ccOs

fine...

REGA planar 3 with an anniversary belt, tri-planer tone arm and a decent cartridge/headshell like a dynavector is where I would suggest

you can probably put together a setup for about 1k, but make sure you good flat clean wax, and use a good cleaning brush and if required, a washer

so are you saying that unless one wants to drop a grand on a deck, that they shouldn't be listening to vinyl? You might as well tell someone to not even think about buying a car unless they can afford $50000. :rofl: c'mon man, i hear you, but at the same time I think that for many people a "regular" turntable will work fine, as long as it's a heavy quality deck and not a flimsy plastic toy that you can flex in your hands. I've got a 1980s Technics that works great for me, and cost a quarter of the price you suggested.

r3ccOs
03-17-2013, 07:10 PM

so are you saying that unless one wants to drop a grand on a deck, that they shouldn't be listening to vinyl? You might as well tell someone to not even think about buying a car unless they can afford $50000. :rofl: c'mon man, i hear you, but at the same time I think that for many people a "regular" turntable will work fine, as long as it's a heavy quality deck and not a flimsy plastic toy that you can flex in your hands. I've got a 1980s Technics that works great for me, and cost a quarter of the price you suggested.

based on your handle, lets use this analogy and I'm not taking a shot at the OP

someone wants a fixed gear bicycle, because its cool, trendy... just like messenger bags are these days for people who will never use them on a bicycle

but no this person who wants a fixed gear bicycle, has not done much technical riding, ever... the last time they rode a bicycle was their mid-90's CCM to jr. high
and the intention is to use this bicycle in occasion, recreationally, to "appear trendy without appearing trendy lol" and not as a primary method of transportation

I mean, "sure" you can find them a good ole' early 80's bianchi to convert to a fixed gear or you can always purchase a full out velodyne bicycle... but in both cases, the requirements do not suggest that this individual use a fixed gear bicycle.

Safety garnering the primary reason, but the others being the inconveniences of lacking gears, familiarization to the riding dynamics, geometry, and well... not using brakes

another one would be... if you don't ride a bicycle that often, especially in bad weather conditions, the benefits of that "fixed gear" reliability is not much of a benefit

overall I'm saying, if you're not willing to invest in the hardware/software and the time with the hobby, you shouldn't get into it... because in the end, you will have a "worse" experience than you would using a more traditional (good CDP or Digital transport) source

as to your technics, if it is a Digital Drive, out of the gate they were not bad turntables, when paired with a good cartridge
The MKX 1200's are not only a good PA/DJ turntable, but could be upgraded to be a fairly decent audiophile turntable with the durability that those direct drive motors have

the reason is the motor is probably the quietest non-belt driven, constant torque, and a very very heavy platter/chasis

if this is the case, you landed a very good turntable... but remember they weren't cheap from the get go
a MK3 1200 can still set you back close to 1k for the unit alone

FixedGear
03-17-2013, 08:06 PM
wow, ok, nevermind I guess. :rofl:

r3ccOs
03-17-2013, 10:15 PM
wow, ok, nevermind I guess. :rofl:

lol

woodywoodford
03-18-2013, 09:13 AM
Dude why you gotta be such a vinyl snob? My $400 setup works fantastically, and yes I do own a few digital presses. That must make me a hipster :rolleyes:

r3ccOs
03-18-2013, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by woodywoodford
Dude why you gotta be such a vinyl snob? My $400 setup works fantastically, and yes I do own a few digital presses. That must make me a hipster :rolleyes:

lol maybe? What are your preferences as to why you prefer wax?

The reason why I used to, was for mixing/scratching/turntablism stuff. This was well before CDJ's/MP3s Vinylscratch/Serato came out

I used to have a great time taping up my fresh presses, flippin them on my ole tech's and Vestax 07-PRO ISPs... but there was otherwise nothing available

even today, I still prefer the tangable "feel" of a technics DD motor, over any Numarc/Vestax/Denon/Pioneer CDJ
but will use Vinyl Scratch, rather than buy wax anymore

When it comes down to "listening" - there are not fidelity gains to listening Vinyl, if you do not have a proper setup. Even less if you're talking about listening to Vinyl from a "digital" master... I mean what's the point?

A flac file played off a decent transport will give you better fidelity than even a good turntable setup, let alone a cheap one

FixedGear
03-18-2013, 10:35 AM
^^first of all, I don't think anyone reading this thread is as fucking dumb as you're trying to make the out to be. Im fairly certain we all understand the differences between analogue and digital music recording and reproduction. Second of all, many people enjoy the physicality of vinyl more than digital audio files, just like some people prefer ceramic coffee mugs over paper coffee cups.

Moonracer
03-18-2013, 10:44 AM
^^first of all, I don't think anyone reading this thread is as fucking dumb as you're trying to make the out to be. Im fairly certain we all understand the differences between analogue and digital music recording and reproduction. Second of all, many people enjoy the physicality of vinyl more than digital audio files, just like some people prefer ceramic coffee mugs over paper coffee cups.

:werd: I grew up with records and was always the guy who made tapes with all the hits on them for all my friends. I just recently bought an old used "Dual" turntable for under a hundred bucks. It has a good stylus on it and sounds decent. Why did I buy one? I like the experience and the memories it brings back. :D

woodywoodford
03-18-2013, 11:09 AM
For me its to put the experience back in to listening to music. I'm guessing more than a few people in this thread are like me, who grew up with iTunes and Napster. Listening to vinyl makes you sit down and consciously choose what album you want to hear. You aren't going to put Zeppelin on and skip to Levy, then dig out your Neil Young album and skip to Old Man, then jump over to maybe some Mumford and Sons. No, you'll put the album on, drop the needle at track one, then sit back and listen to the whole (side) of the album as it was meant to be enjoyed. It's not just mindless noise in the background now, it's a deliberate choice. There are times when its nice to hit shuffle on the ipod or put on a genius playlist, but when I'm in the mood to listen to something in particular, I prefer to go with the full experience.

Plus, records are plain and simply more collectable than CD's, so if I'm going to spend money on music I want it to be something that's worth hanging on to. To say the only reason people listen to vinyl is for some minute level of fidelity is so incredibly short sighted.

FixedGear
03-18-2013, 11:30 AM
While Jack White is a hipster (like pretty much any other musician that has ever lived), I don't think anyone can say he's an idiot about music because he uses a shitty turntable. :rofl:

qTlSka5iqPY

msommers
03-18-2013, 11:31 AM
I can partially sympathize with that as I only use my DAC and tube amp for listening to music, it is an enjoyable experience to turn on a bunch of stuff just for one thing. The convenience of the squeezebox however is something I can't live without now that I have it. I find I listen to whole albums or a bunch of albums from one artist which is great as I don't need to get up haha. I dunno, does having no remote make watching TV more enjoyable? Subjective I guess.

FixedGear
03-18-2013, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by msommers
I can partially sympathize with that as I only use my DAC and tube amp for listening to music, it is an enjoyable experience to turn on a bunch of stuff just for one thing. The convenience of the squeezebox however is something I can't live without now that I have it. I find I listen to whole albums or a bunch of albums from one artist which is great as I don't need to get up haha. I dunno, does having no remote make watching TV more enjoyable? Subjective I guess.

it's totally subjective, which is fine. i have an ipod too, and a NAS that serves music for my many devices.... and a turntable. they're all good for different things. :dunno:

FixedGear
03-18-2013, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by Moonracer

:werd: I grew up with records and was always the guy who made tapes with all the hits on them for all my friends. I just recently bought an old used "Dual" turntable for under a hundred bucks. It has a good stylus on it and sounds decent. Why did I buy one? I like the experience and the memories it brings back. :D

this kind of brought back some memories for me... I got my first record player when I was 10 or 11, and it came out of an antique turntable cabinet that my mother was refinishing. The motor was dead, and IIRC it was one of the small turntables intended for 45s (small platter), but the big spindle could be pushed down so you could also play LPs. My parents had upgraded to cassettes by that time ( :rofl: ), but still had a couple of old, sun-warped Rolling Stones albums that I used to play on there. The motor was dead, however I learned that I could manually spin the record and get it to play the music from the stylus - oh, what simple physics! It really was amazing to me. Still is, actually. :thumbsup:

r3ccOs
03-18-2013, 12:23 PM
While Jack White is a hipster (like pretty much any other musician that has ever lived), I don't think anyone can say he's an idiot about music because he uses a shitty turntable. :rofl:

qTlSka5iqPY

agreed, and he's a tremendous talent

its part of his style and assuming part of his inspiration which he emodies within that raw unedited emotional sound...

and its like different vintage guitars, with unique humbuckers that nobody makes anymore and old fender amps with leaky caps... there is a nostalgic appeal, a feel, but mostly a sound

I get that... belive me, I do

But its one thing to attempt to deliberately create a sound using various methods but to listen to music in a manner that adds color and lessens the available information... I dunno

I'm all for ripping it up on my 93' Parker Fly, but would I take a track that I just recorded on a computer... to then make a press to put on an old gramophone for a nostic purposes

no

but the Vinyl itself is yes, an experience... I do echo woodywoodford's sentiments...

we live in an age where conveniences overweight our traditions... and so if listening to Vinyl is your tradition, your preference... it is yours
I’m saying, don’t go down the path without commitment... its not a craft, but it is an art
Finding those limited and pristine vintage presses, setting up the tone arms for the cartridge you prefer, for LP or SP, etc... finding a place where the turntable is isolated, finding that proper dampening mat... I could go on...

Moonracer
03-18-2013, 12:34 PM

this kind of brought back some memories for me... I got my first record player when I was 10 or 11, and it came out of an antique turntable cabinet that my mother was refinishing. The motor was dead, and IIRC it was one of the small turntables intended for 45s (small platter), but the big spindle could be pushed down so you could also play LPs. My parents had upgraded to cassettes by that time ( :rofl: ), but still had a couple of old, sun-warped Rolling Stones albums that I used to play on there. The motor was dead, however I learned that I could manually spin the record and get it to play the music from the stylus - oh, what simple physics! It really was amazing to me. Still is, actually. :thumbsup:

Nice! :thumbsup: