PDA

View Full Version : Shaw internet fail

Power_Of_Rotary
03-09-2013, 05:47 PM
I have been with shaw for maybe 10 years now and it is annoying sad to say they have no improved much. I have gotten new modems and such from them, upgraded my internet package and still getting average/slow connections. Also random times during the day the internet would be down to >1mbps

Every time i call(and wait 1 hour on the line) to ask about the issues I get the same old tech suggestions and useless solutions. My LTE on my cell phone can get up to 25mbps with a lower ping.

anyone have a suggestion on what I should do? change providers? or use a internet stick from a phone provider instead?

Mibz
03-09-2013, 05:59 PM
Switch. I don't know why you haven't already. If Shaw was like that for me I'd switch immediately.

CanmoreOrLess
03-09-2013, 06:05 PM
Switch, the water is nice and warm here on Telus. Fuck Shaw and his little red wagon if they cannot provide quality service.

I had Shaw issues for over two months (six service calls.... six afternoons at home). Arranged for Telus to connect their internet while I was still on Shaw to experience a new provider (could cancel Telus within a week with no charge if it was crap). After a week I called Telus for the TV package and told Shaw to take a long walk off a short pier. Never looked back since 2009, zero regrets, zero issues.

Life is too short to live with shawitus.

Disoblige
03-09-2013, 06:38 PM
Yeah, as mentioned, I would switch if I was in your shoes.

Maybe because I have Phone/Internet/Cable with Shaw, but with online chatting, everything is so easy with getting assistance. No more calling them. Maybe if you're not bundled, you don't get that feature, I'm not sure.

I guess if I had to call and wait a long time every time I had an issue, that would be pretty gay.

eblend
03-09-2013, 06:51 PM
Switch. I had similar problems with Shaw about 2.5 years back, switched to Telus and their optik and never looked back. I no longer have any promotional price plans or anything with telus, and I still don't mind paying the full price for their service, as I enjoy the TV PVR experience and the internet has been rock solid. Can't complain.

Telus also has online chat for tech support and account support ect, so I don't bother calling the odd time I need to make any changes.

Power_Of_Rotary
03-09-2013, 07:17 PM
hmm im glad im not the only one who had issues with shaw. Telus sounds okay, but I am really drawn into Bells LTE network. It costs more and gives less GB allowance but heck it actually gives 25MBPS and up (at least from my lte note 2)

rx7boi
03-09-2013, 07:21 PM
TELUS will be coming out to swap everything else.

The family just switched to their Fibre Optic 15mb service so I wonder if it's going to be an improvement since we currently use Shaw Broadband 25mb.

Anyone share their experience between the two?

EK69
03-09-2013, 07:26 PM
Telus can provide 25mbps and even 50mbps in some areas.
Try them out and see how it goes.

mago0
03-09-2013, 07:34 PM
It really feels like Shaw is the only ISP in Calgary that can provide larger bandwidth like Broadband 50. I've looked into telus and nucleus (? i think) and nothing seems to be up to par. Anyone know if Telus is going to be getting similar to Broadband 50? I'm thinking of switching over.

eblend
03-09-2013, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by mago0
It really feels like Shaw is the only ISP in Calgary that can provide larger bandwidth like Broadband 50. I've looked into telus and nucleus (? i think) and nothing seems to be up to par. Anyone know if Telus is going to be getting similar to Broadband 50? I'm thinking of switching over.

Believe 50 is available now, not yet advertised from Telus, or so I heard

Boosted131
03-09-2013, 08:18 PM
I love my shaw 25 meg connection... Movies downloaded in 5 minutes, multiple hd netflix streams no issues.

Graham_A_M
03-09-2013, 08:51 PM
I dont know, I've been with shaw for the last, 6 years now, no problems whatsoever.

When i call in, it takes me less then 10minutes for the complete call.

I really cant complain about the 1gig-(sometimes 2gigs) of data per second during multiple downloads. :dunno:

J-D
03-09-2013, 10:09 PM
I found I had a lot of trouble reaching speeds with Shaw 25mb, and they always got on my case about bandwidth.

I only have 15mbit with Telus in my neighborhood, but at least they let me do this:
http://i.imgur.com/aXMuFW9.jpg

:bigpimp:

revelations
03-09-2013, 10:25 PM
OP do NOT lock into any type of plan with Telus. This allows room for haggling down the road on prices and service.

rx7boi
03-09-2013, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by J-D
I found I had a lot of trouble reaching speeds with Shaw 25mb, and they always got on my case about bandwidth.

I only have 15mbit with Telus in my neighborhood, but at least they let me do this:

How is your download speed?

With Shaw 25mb my torrents were between 300-800 kbs. Pathetic, I know lol.

Hoping that with TELUS it'll be much faster and more stable too.

J-D
03-09-2013, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by rx7boi

How is your download speed?

With Shaw 25mb my torrents were between 300-800 kbs. Pathetic, I know lol.

Hoping that with TELUS it'll be much faster and more stable too.

I max out on anything that can push it. Generally somewhere around 1600-1700kbps

Darell_n
03-10-2013, 07:13 AM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M
I dont know, I've been with shaw for the last, 6 years now, no problems whatsoever.

When i call in, it takes me less then 10minutes for the complete call.

I really cant complain about the 1gig-(sometimes 2gigs) of data per second during multiple downloads. :dunno:

That would be a miracle for residential service. I have Shaw 50 or whatever they call it now and can download 2.5-3.0 MB/sec. DTS HD movies take around 20 minutes.

Provider choice should come down to this: Live in or near high density housing then choose Telus, otherwise Shaw will be better.

schocker
03-10-2013, 09:45 AM
I haven't had any issues with shaw either in about 13ish years of use. I suppose it would depend on the area, thought it was never slow for me in silver springs which was kind of old and now sage hill. Usenet always maxes my connection for example.
This is why I like BB50
http://www.speedtest.net/result/2563956679.png
:burnout:

MrSector9
03-10-2013, 11:05 AM
call shaw and tell them you are planning on cancelling to change to telus, they will usually send you to retentions (or whatever it is called) and then they might make you happy.

I had to do that, I ended up getting cable/bb100/hd pvr (free for 3 years)/phone for $120/month, a tech came out ran new wiring, new modem, tested line signals, etc and I have not had an issue since.

eblend
03-10-2013, 11:17 AM

No offence, but you must be highly confused on data speeds.

There is no residential provider in the world that deliver 1GB per second of data (people usually talk about gigabit when shortcutting it as GIG)
In Japan one could get a 1Gbps line over fiber for example, on which you could see a theoretical download speed of about 125 mega bytes per second in ideal conditions. You would need a 10Gbps internet line to get anywhere near 1 gig of data per second...10Gbps are even a distant dream in most internal datacenter connections, never mind a residential internet plan.

sr20s14zenki
03-10-2013, 11:18 AM
I've had shaw for 5 years now, and no issues.

In fact, i pay for 20mbps service, and regularly speed test at 22-24 mbps (=

eblend
03-10-2013, 11:23 AM
most people don't have issues, while others do, and those who do know how frustrating it can be. Mine got to a point where in the evening the max I could hit on usenet was 160kb/s.... When I was living downtown it used to be a lot better, so it really depends on the area and the quality of connection. A shitty Shaw connection still functions...on and off...like shit.

eblend
03-10-2013, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by J-D

Where about do you see this?

Is this on their internet account page somewhere?

Can't find anything like this on my account.

J-D
03-10-2013, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by eblend

Where about do you see this?

Is this on their internet account page somewhere?

Can't find anything like this on my account.

That's from my router, but I use dd-wrt and the telus modem/router in bridge mode.

EK69
03-10-2013, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by EK69
Telus can provide 25mbps and even 50mbps in some areas.
Try them out and see how it goes.

Originally posted by mago0

Originally posted by eblend

Believe 50 is available now, not yet advertised from Telus, or so I heard

Go to the telus website and go to the Part where u can Put in ur address and check what's available to u. It says I can get 50mbps from them. That's the only place to see that package as its not officially rolled out yet.

Graham_A_M
03-10-2013, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by Darell_n

That would be a miracle for residential service. I have Shaw 50 or whatever they call it now and can download 2.5-3.0 MB/sec. DTS HD movies take around 20 minutes.

Provider choice should come down to this: Live in or near high density housing then choose Telus, otherwise Shaw will be better.

I should take a screenshot during some of my movie downloads, its nutty fast. :dunno:

Darell_n
03-10-2013, 12:33 PM
Ya, looks like I'm on the 'Extreme' plan which was the fastest available at the time here in Cochrane and is equivalent to the 25 plan, but I'm paying more. Time to change that...

Tik-Tok
03-10-2013, 01:05 PM

I should take a screenshot during some of my movie downloads, its nutty fast. :dunno:

You should, that speed seems ridiculously impossibly fast. Post up a speedtest.net pic too.

GoChris
03-10-2013, 02:15 PM
Yes, if you can get Telus fiber, you can get 50Mbps. I've had it since December and it's pretty nice. Super consistent, and my upload is more than 10Mbps.

eblend
03-10-2013, 02:48 PM

You should indeed. The speeds you mentioned in your previous posts are beyond anything anyone offers anywhere WORLDWIDE for home internet...and Canada is very shitty for internet speeds on a global level. Megabytes yes, Gigabyte = 1000MB, no. From the sounds of it, you are stating that you are downloading movies at 1000-2000MB per second....a 5GB movie would be done in 2.5 seconds...this is not even accounting for the fact that no standalone hard drive would ever be able to write at those speeds

rx7boi
03-10-2013, 03:25 PM
Graham_A_M probably just has his terminology confused haha.

anarchy
03-11-2013, 10:39 AM
As Disoblige mentioned, we do have online chat and it's available to anyone regardless of what services you have (shaw.ca/chat).

If you guys have any questions about Shaw or need some help let me know, I'll see what I can do.

Darell_n
03-11-2013, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by anarchy
As Disoblige mentioned, we do have online chat and it's available to anyone regardless of what services you have (shaw.ca/chat).

If you guys have any questions about Shaw or need some help let me know, I'll see what I can do.

Last night I waited around 5 or 6 minutes for any reply then got kicked off 20 seconds after asking my question due to end of session. The following survey I gave all negative reviews of my experience. Go Shaw!

3drian
03-11-2013, 05:03 PM
I recently had to switch to telus, got shaw at my place and the internet conection SUCKED, like I couldn't load a youtube video and even facebook will be slow, I struggled with them for a month, I was calling them twice or three times a week and they always had a new excuse. After telling them I wanted to cancel they tried hard to get it working and nothing.

Apparently my slow connection was due to people in my area having too many wifi conections using the same channel, so I was a bit scared switching to telus wouldnt make a difference, but I was wrong, Telus speed has been awesome no complaints, 100 times better!.

EK69
03-11-2013, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by anarchy

Can u offer deals or promos? :bigpimp:

mago0
03-11-2013, 06:39 PM

Wanted to ask the same thing. :D

ExtraSlow
03-12-2013, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by J-D

That's from my router, but I use dd-wrt and the telus modem/router in bridge mode.
Anyone feel like giving me a lesson in how to set up bridge mode for telus? Looking to use Asus RT-N66U instead of the actiontec router.

revelations
03-12-2013, 08:24 PM
Action Tec routers: bridge mode

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/telus-internet-using-your-own-router-putting-v1000h-into-bridge-mode-1290629/url]

anarchy
03-13-2013, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by Darell_n

Last night I waited around 5 or 6 minutes for any reply then got kicked off 20 seconds after asking my question due to end of session. The following survey I gave all negative reviews of my experience. Go Shaw!

Sorry to hear that Darell, I've never heard of that happening but technical issues do happen from time to time. Let me know if you still need some help and I'll get a rep to contact you directly.

Haha I'm not in Sales or have access to any promos unfortunately. But I've helped plenty of Beyonders before in different ways.

Tej.S
03-13-2013, 12:59 PM
I've been with shaw for years and I think they're great :D I've never personally experienced any problems with them. I think I have broadband 50 or w.e it's called and it's great.