PDA

View Full Version : Sovereign Man / International Man / Perpetual Traveler / Flags Theory

Pages : [1] 2

davidI
03-11-2013, 12:09 AM
Anyone on here follow sovereignman.com or internationalman.com or subscribe to the multiple flags theory?

I find these writers a little conspiracy theorist for my liking, but I do like a lot of their ideas.

I'm in the process of setting up my 'flags'. Canadian Citizenship, UAE & Yemen Work Residence, Canadian / UAE / HK Banking and maybe a Luxembourg Brokerage....still trying to decide on where I want my 'fun' residency to be.

The more I delve into the concept the more I like it. Only pay tax where you earn the money. Diversify and shelter your assets. Be subject to no government's bureaucracy or BS regulation. Just live life free and happy...

Anyone else doing similar?

My biggest concern right now is finding some inflation protected investments since I'm not going to have material assets anywhere for the next few years.

kertejud2
03-11-2013, 07:00 AM
As a person with three passports who has lived and worked in several countries, I can assure you that you're making yourself subject to at least four government's bureaucracies and BS regulations (five if you want a 'fun' residence).

davidI
03-11-2013, 07:37 AM
Originally posted by kertejud2
As a person with three passports who has lived and worked in several countries, I can assure you that you're making yourself subject to at least four government's bureaucracies and BS regulations (five if you want a 'fun' residence).

How do you figure? I guess you're right in the sense that no matter where you are you're going to have to abide by their 'rules' for residency, but that has pretty minimal requirements in a lot of countries. I view it as a way to escape financial bureaucracy more than anything.

Fun residence in a country that does not tax worldwide income.

Banking in countries that do not tax capital gains / interest / dividends.

Work in countries with minimal tax rates or where your employer pays tax on your behalf.

Seems like a winning combination to me!

codetrap
03-11-2013, 08:11 AM

davidI
03-11-2013, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by codetrap
I'm betting kertejud2 *figures* based on personal real life experience, not the fantasy *conspiracy theorist* propaganda written for the gullible, just like the rest of that *freeman of the land* BS.

Edit: Ok, after a little reading, this stuff only seems to share the same name, not the fundamental FoTL movment stuff. However, that being said, tread carefully, and DO talk to a qualified Tax Lawyer before you start doing stuff that could mess you up with the CRA.

You don't really need a tax lawyer for this stuff. If you sever all ties with Canada and establish residential ties elsewhere, you're a non-resident for tax purposes in Canada. Period. You just have to be willing to sever all of your ties with Canada, which most people aren't...

davidI
03-11-2013, 08:28 AM
Interesting article that only increases my inflation concerns...

http://www.bullionbullscanada.com/guest-commentary/dollardaze/5785-money-supply-and-purchasing-power

e36bmw///
03-11-2013, 08:58 AM
nm

Modelexis
03-11-2013, 09:22 AM
I know of a resource that talks about this idea of diversifying internationally, I don't follow it but it might help you find some answers to your questions:

http://libertyforums.net/forum-overview/

kertejud2
03-11-2013, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by davidI

You don't really need a tax lawyer for this stuff. If you sever all ties with Canada and establish residential ties elsewhere, you're a non-resident for tax purposes in Canada. Period. You just have to be willing to sever all of your ties with Canada, which most people aren't...

A lot depends on the agreements between Canada and those countries. Canada and the GCC countries have various agreements for taxes which may affect work permits and whether you are required to file tax returns for Canada regardless of being a nonresident. I know the corporate setup is pretty favorable, but the laws are always pretty convoluted for a reason.

So in other words, a tax lawyer is probably a good guy to consult if you're working as a Canadian in the UAE and soon to be Yemen.

davidI
03-11-2013, 09:35 AM

A lot depends on the agreements between Canada and those countries. Canada and the GCC countries have various agreements for taxes which may affect work permits and whether you are required to file tax returns for Canada regardless of being a nonresident.

So in other words, a tax lawyer is probably a good guy to consult if you're working as a Canadian in the UAE and soon to be Yemen.

That is true. I've read the UAE isn't a great place to claim residency because of the tax treaty. My main residency will be Yemen and they have no treaty so it's pretty simple. I just need to establish satisfactory ties here.

All I mean is that it's really not that complicated if you do your research. For sure, if you're in a complex situation, it may be worth paying for a professional's advice.

CapnCrunch
03-11-2013, 09:52 AM
Do you plan on travelling using a Yemen passport?

davidI
03-11-2013, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by CapnCrunch
Do you plan on travelling using a Yemen passport?

Residency does not equal Citizenship.

Still a Canadian Citizen with a Canadian Passport. Just not a resident of Canada.

kertejud2
03-11-2013, 11:32 AM

All I mean is that it's really not that complicated if you do your research. For sure, if you're in a complex situation, it may be worth paying for a professional's advice.

Pretty much. I've known a few people who have 'gone off the grid' and a couple were kind of screwed when they wanted to come back. Often getting some professional advice could have you learn that you could file a couple tax returns that you don't actually to pay for but will save headaches if ever in the future plans change and you want to have to come back.

roll_over
03-11-2013, 01:16 PM
i asked a lawyer about this and he said its based on 100 year old laws, now im not trying to turn you off the idea i am very much intrested please keep us posted on your findings.

Agent David Beyond Fringe Division

davidI
03-11-2013, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by roll_over
i asked a lawyer about this and he said its based on 100 year old laws, now im not trying to turn you off the idea i am very much intrested please keep us posted on your findings.

Agent David Beyond Fringe Division

Wut? :confused:

woodywoodford
03-12-2013, 05:47 AM
Originally posted by e36bmw///
I haven't followed internationalman, but i've been reading sovereignman everyday.
Am also following zerohedge when I have time.

If you are single, it's not that difficult to cut ties with Canada. And you can still visit and stay for 6 consecutive months and pay no tax.

Zerohedge... Dow could be at 25,000 and they'd still find something to be bearish about.

davidI
03-12-2013, 06:25 AM
Originally posted by woodywoodford

Zerohedge... Dow could be at 25,000 and they'd still find something to be bearish about.

The Dow at 25,000 is what I'm worried about as it will probably be due to all of the QE in the system.

I am keeping some money in equities but a lot on the sideline. I'm honestly just waiting for that once every 10-15 year market crash where I can pour my money in to strong dividend payers and hopefully have a nice dividend cash flow for the rest of my life. Problem is figuring out where to keep my money until that opportunity and in what currency. I forsee inflation being a huge concern over the next 5 years. I also strongly believe it is the force behind the market gains we're seeing, even if the CPI doesn't clearly show it.

woodywoodford
03-12-2013, 09:23 AM

The Dow at 25,000 is what I'm worried about as it will probably be due to all of the QE in the system.

I am keeping some money in equities but a lot on the sideline. I'm honestly just waiting for that once every 10-15 year market crash where I can pour my money in to strong dividend payers and hopefully have a nice dividend cash flow for the rest of my life. Problem is figuring out where to keep my money until that opportunity and in what currency. I forsee inflation being a huge concern over the next 5 years. I also strongly believe it is the force behind the market gains we're seeing, even if the CPI doesn't clearly show it.

Why not just throw it into fixed incomes? Treasuries would have been a good deal with the way our exchange rates going currently. I do agree though, there's a crash coming and I'm determined to have enough money to go on a big ol' shopping spree when it does.

davidI
03-12-2013, 09:26 AM
Fixed incomes at these shitty rates don't offer much protection against inflation.

I've been looking for something that is inflation adjusted, but there is nothing I've found that makes sense from an investment perspective.

The only people doing well out of this crisis are those who were heavily indebted, which is the opposite of me.

I'm definitely looking forward to living somewhere that people can only own what they can afford.

NuclearPizzaMan
03-12-2013, 01:01 PM
Remember folks, it's time to panic! Mad Max within 5 years! For sure this time.

davidI
03-12-2013, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by NuclearPizzaMan
Remember folks, it's time to panic! Mad Max within 5 years! For sure this time.

As I said, I don't subscribe to the conspiracy theory $hit. I am just tired of paying 40% tax to support broken legal and social systems that provide entitlements to the lazy and immoral. I am also tired of the regulations that tell me I can't have a beer in the park on a hot summer's day and that I'm only allowed to cross the street when an automated light box tells me I can (rather than when common sense dictates I can).

I also find it crazy that parents are scared to take their kids trick-or-treating at halloween, playing at the park has been replaced by staring at screens, and teachers are scared to take kids on field trips or do physical activities because of liability concerns.

It's strange, after all of my travels I have begun to wonder if the "developing" countries actually have a more developed social structure than the "developed" countries do.

Nitro5
03-14-2013, 03:39 AM
Big question is medical. If you get sick, who's going to pay?

davidI
03-14-2013, 04:52 AM
Originally posted by Nitro5
Big question is medical. If you get sick, who's going to pay?

Me. :dunno:

Modelexis
03-14-2013, 07:10 AM
I share your world view but I don't have the courage to leave the safety bubble I live in.

codetrap
03-14-2013, 09:15 AM

davidI
03-14-2013, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by codetrap

You might want to figure this out. I just had to pay $475 for a single injection. That's just the medication. It doesn't include the anesthesia, the xray guiding for the injection, or the tech that does it.

Keep in mind that most insurance providers won't pay the expenses that AHC covers. At least this is true for residents. I had a long and protracted argument with BlueCross and Sunlife about who actually pays for my MRI, in the end it was me. $1200 cash. They refused to cover it because AHC paid for them as part of the public offerings, and AHC told me to pound sand because I was going private.

You should probably nail down a medical insurance provider that will pay for all the common stuff like Doctor visits, emergencies etc.. otherwise you'll end up bankrupt from tripping in a crosswalk, banging your head and being knocked unconscious. (ambulance, emerg, mri etc)..

I'm not too concerned. I'm very healthy and have required very little medical over the years. In the event of some freak accident that leaves me on the hook for $100k, so be it. I have gone to see doctors in Bangkok and Dubai before and in both cases the service was much better than anything I'd ever hope to receive in Canada and the costs were so low that I didn't even bother submitting the claim to my insurers for compensiation.

Most of the world doesn't have these safety nets and people get by just fine...the fact I've been forced to piss away $30-40K on benefits that I've never used over 8 years of working is of greater concern to me.

Why, as a healthy individual, should I contribute to help fat, smokers deal with the issues caused by their own laziness and stupidity?

dj_patm
03-14-2013, 09:43 AM

I'm not too concerned. I'm very healthy and have required very little medical over the years. In the event of some freak accident that leaves me on the hook for $100k, so be it. I have gone to see doctors in Bangkok and Dubai before and in both cases the service was much better than anything I'd ever hope to receive in Canada and the costs were so low that I didn't even bother submitting the claim to my insurers for compensiation.

Most of the world doesn't have these safety nets and people get by just fine...the fact I've been forced to piss away $30-40K on benefits that I've never used over 8 years of working is of greater concern to me.

Why, as a healthy individual, should I contribute to help fat, smokers deal with the issues caused by their own laziness and stupidity?

Yes cause the only people universal healthcare supports are smokers :rolleyes:

We'll see how you think of healthcare if you or a loved one develop a serious condition. Just cause you're healthy now doesn't mean you will be in 10 years and then it might not just be a $1,000 bill...

davidI
03-14-2013, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by dj_patm

Yes cause the only people universal healthcare supports are smokers :rolleyes:

We'll see how you think of healthcare if you or a loved one develop a serious condition. Just cause you're healthy now doesn't mean you will be in 10 years and then it might not just be a $1,000 bill...

I've got no problem with the concept of universal healthcare, but it makes no sense for me to contribute to a Canadian system that I will likely never use.

The suggestion was I pick up some form of health insurance for international living, which is what I was responding to. I do think the Canadian healthcare system is broken, but that's a separate debate.

Seth1968
03-14-2013, 09:55 AM

FixedGear
03-14-2013, 10:18 AM
davidI, I don't know how old you are, but I bet in 5-10 years you're going to think differently about some of this. I'm not disagreeing with anything yo'u're saying, but you should try not close any doors so you aren't "stuck" somewhere in 10 years, after your opinions have changed.

kertejud2
03-14-2013, 10:28 AM

Most of the world doesn't have these safety nets and people get by just fine...

That's only because you seem to think the services you're able to pay for are accessible and affordable to everybody in the country. The health stats of Thailand would indicate that no...the country is not doing just fine.

FixedGear
03-14-2013, 10:47 AM
isn't Thailand where they have those sham magic healers who pull out your organs with their bare hands without making an injury? :rofl:

kaput
03-14-2013, 10:52 AM

davidI
03-14-2013, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by kaput
He's still a Canadian citizen, if he gets horribly sick he can return home, become a resident, and qualify for free health care again :dunno:

Takes 6 months I believe, but you are correct.

davidI
03-14-2013, 11:06 AM

That's only because you seem to think the services you're able to pay for are accessible and affordable to everybody in the country. The health stats of Thailand would indicate that no...the country is not doing just fine.

I've spent over 6 months in Thailand and probably close to a year in Africa. There are definitely people who need more treatments than they're receiving, and clearly the life expectancy is lower, but people are generally very happy and healthy. If I had to compare qualities of life from a very general perspective, I'd say people in those countries have a far superior quality of life.

As far as I'm concerned, the increases in diabetes, skin cancer, lung cancer & celiac disease in developed countries are largely due to our food & lifestyle choices.

I definitely want to live somewhere that meats and produce are not genetic mutants and where they are grown organically and are available fresh. Should certainly help me maintain my health...

BerserkerCatSplat
03-14-2013, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by kaput
He's still a Canadian citizen, if he gets horribly sick he can return home, become a resident, and qualify for free health care again :dunno:

So one would leave the country and manage a location scheme to avoid paying money to support a health-care system that they don't agree with. Then, in the case of a medical problem they can't afford to fix, they would return to the country and reap the benefits of the same health-care system they didn't like and avoided paying for.

I see.

FixedGear
03-14-2013, 11:21 AM

As far as I'm concerned, the increases in diabetes, skin cancer, lung cancer & celiac disease in developed countries are largely due to our food & lifestyle choices.

I definitely want to live somewhere that meats and produce are not genetic mutants and where they are grown organically and are available fresh. Should certainly help me maintain my health...

...and this is based on your training in what exactly? I think that if you're really concerned about these things, you'd be better served by a good education in science. I think this might also help you overcome your fear of "genetic mutant" foods. :rofl:

I don't think it's a coincidence that, in general, there is a massive "brain drain" from the areas you're glorifying to the west.

davidI
03-14-2013, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat

So one would leave the country and manage a location scheme to avoid paying money to support a health-care system that they don't agree with. Then, in the case of a medical problem they can't afford to fix, they would return to the country and reap the benefits of the same health-care system they didn't like and avoided paying for.

I see.

I don't think I'd personally do this.

Even if I did, I've paid more tax in the last 10 years than many Canadians pay in their lifetimes, so I wouldn't feel too guilty about it.

I know a girl who married a Dominican guy and they lived down there until he broke his arms at which point they moved to Canada so he could get surgery. Pisses me off.

davidI
03-14-2013, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by FixedGear

...and this is based on your training in what exactly? I think that if you're really concerned about these things, you'd be better served by a good education in science. I think this might also help you overcome your fear of "genetic mutant" foods. :rofl:

I don't think it's a coincidence that, in general, there is a massive "brain drain" from the areas you're glorifying to the west.

Ever driven by a cattle ranch in California? Thousands of cattle are huddled together and are jacked full of all sorts of vaccinations and drugs.

Ever wonder why tomatoes last several weeks in Canada and only a few days to a week elsewhere?

Go to a country where produce is grown organically and you'll taste the difference.

I've actually spent a lot of time researching nutrition, and though my degrees are not in science, it's a pretty simple concept to grasp. Farmers are looking to profit by maximizing yield.

I found Wheat Belly an interesting book on how Western diets have changed over time. Here's a fun read on hormones in meats http://www.livestrong.com/article/539009-can-hormones-in-meat-affect-puberty-in-girls/

davidI
03-14-2013, 11:41 AM
Quick Google Search on this topic...

http://www.livestrong.com/article/519776-chemicals-and-hormones-in-beef/

http://www.livestrong.com/article/380764-what-are-the-dangers-of-genetically-modified-food-on-health/

http://www.livestrong.com/article/417880-risks-side-effects-of-genetically-modified-food/

http://www.livestrong.com/article/444196-the-impacts-of-genetic-modification-on-agriculture-food-health/

http://www.livestrong.com/article/481955-health-risks-of-genetically-engineered-food/

FixedGear
03-14-2013, 11:43 AM

Ever driven by a cattle ranch in California? Thousands of cattle are huddled together and are jacked full of all sorts of vaccinations and drugs.

Ever wonder why tomatoes last several weeks in Canada and only a few days to a week elsewhere?

Go to a country where produce is grown organically and you'll taste the difference.

I've actually spent a lot of time researching nutrition, and though my degrees are not in science, it's a pretty simple concept to grasp. Farmers are looking to profit by maximizing yield.

I found Wheat Belly an interesting book on how Western diets have changed over time. Here's a fun read on hormones in meats http://www.livestrong.com/article/539009-can-hormones-in-meat-affect-puberty-in-girls/

so what - that doesn't mean it's unhealthy to eat that food. i'm sorry, but when i read your statement about "genetic mutants" i basically discounted everything you've said in this thread so far. i'm a pretty leftist guy and don't disagree with a lot of the things you've been saying (especially when I was younger), but some of what you're saying now is just coming across as ignorant.

i'm not sure if you're referring to GM foods, but it should be pointed out that the modern ones are not actually mutants (old, selectively bred crops are). As well, virtually every single food humans eat today are GM foods, right? this is like being afraid of the sky falling.

If you're that worried about it, we have "organic" food (whatever that means) in the west, too. :dunno:

Mibz
03-14-2013, 11:50 AM
Go to a country where produce is grown organically and you'll taste the difference. What the fuck does this mean?

"Oh, this one tastes way healthier"

FixedGear
03-14-2013, 12:11 PM

http://www.livestrong.com/article/380764-what-are-the-dangers-of-genetically-modified-food-on-health/

http://www.livestrong.com/article/417880-risks-side-effects-of-genetically-modified-food/

http://www.livestrong.com/article/444196-the-impacts-of-genetic-modification-on-agriculture-food-health/

http://www.livestrong.com/article/481955-health-risks-of-genetically-engineered-food/

you're posted a series of magazine articles. just look at the references in those articles to see that it's not based on any real science.

EDIT: I'm not saying that GM foods (obtained via either selective breeding or genetic engineering) can't have important ecological effects... My point is that there is no fundamental difference between modern and antiquated methods. If you're going to worry about this, you may just as well stop eating, because every single food we have today is a result of GM since the dawn of agriculture.

if you're going to do this, you better be prepared to eat things like teocinte (pictured on left) instead of corn (pictured on right)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/cb/Maize-teosinte.jpg/499px-Maize-teosinte.jpg

or tiny wild banannas with seeds

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/eb/Inside_a_wild-type_banana.jpg/796px-Inside_a_wild-type_banana.jpg

davidI
03-14-2013, 12:11 PM

so what - that doesn't mean it's unhealthy to eat that food. i'm sorry, but when i read your statement about "genetic mutants" i basically discounted everything you've said in this thread so far. i'm a pretty leftist guy and don't disagree with a lot of the things you've been saying (especially when I was younger), but some of what you're saying now is just coming across as ignorant.

i'm not sure if you're referring to GM foods, but it should be pointed out that these things are not actually mutants (i.e. via mutagenesis). As well, virtually every single food humans eat today are GM foods, right? this is like being afraid of the sky falling.

If you're that worried about it, we have "organic" food (whatever that means) in the west, too. :dunno:

Genetic engineering activates mobile DNA, called transposons, which generate mutations.

Growing GM crops using tissue culture can create hundreds or thousands of DNA mutations

http://responsibletechnology.org/gmo-dangers/65-health-risks/2notes

It's not like I'm leaving Canada to find organic produce. I'm just saying that a lot of the health issues faced by North Americans are not occurring to the same extent in developing countries and I attribute a lot of that to our food and lifestyle choices. I do think that I will be healthier by making a move, but that is not the reason why I'm doing it.

Originally posted by Mibz
What the fuck does this mean?

"Oh, this one tastes way healthier"

It usually just tastes better and makes it obvious how big of a difference there is between natural and modified foods :dunno:

Mibz
03-14-2013, 12:20 PM
It usually just tastes better and makes it obvious how big of a difference there is between natural and modified foods :dunno: Better doesn't mean healthier. Two bananas on the same bunch can taste different. Does the one that tastes better have "better" nutrition?

You're associating taste and nutrition because you want to, not because it's true.

FixedGear
03-14-2013, 12:20 PM

Genetic engineering activates mobile DNA, called transposons, which generate mutations.

Growing GM crops using tissue culture can create hundreds or thousands of DNA mutations

http://responsibletechnology.org/gmo-dangers/65-health-risks/2notes

LOL.

from your link, "Most scientists working in the field are unaware of the extent of these mutations, and no studies have examined genome-wide changes in commercialized GM plants." :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: what you're citing isn't even up to the standards of pseudoscience.

what do you konw about the Institute for Responsible Technology? Here is the background of the executive director:

He attended the Maharishi University of Management from 1983–1986, where he studied business. Smith is a professional dance instructor and taught a dance workshop at University of Iowa as "Swingsmith" in 2002. He is one of the founding directors of a Fairfield, Iowa dance troupe called Swingphoria. Smith was a Natural Law Party member in 1996 and participated in a TM-Sidhi program yogic flying demonstration in Des Moines, Iowa. In 1998 he became the party's candidate for U.S. Congress in Iowa’s First District. At a political event, Smith said the Natural Law Party supported the use of the Transcendental Meditation technique and yogic flying, on a voluntary basis, in education, rehabilitation and health care. Smith received less than 1% of the vote, losing to Republican Jim Leach.

Do you really believe what that guy is telling you about science of any kind?

kertejud2
03-14-2013, 12:43 PM

It's not like I'm leaving Canada to find organic produce. I'm just saying that a lot of the health issues faced by North Americans are not occurring to the same extent in developing countries and I attribute a lot of that to our food and lifestyle choices. I do think that I will be healthier by making a move, but that is not the reason why I'm doing it.

There's a greater correlation between cancer rates and life expectancy: the longer you live, the greater chance you have of getting cancer therefore the rates in the Western world are higher and there are correlations of developing world's cancer rates increasing with their increased life expectancy rates. Plus in developing world countries their mortality rates for cancer are just as high, often higher than the countries where the instances are higher. This also doesn't take into account the lack of reliability of accurately assessing a cancer rate because you need rather comprehensive health system to actually get a proper rate from around the country.

But in reality cancer rates can be divided into various regions. Cervical cancer is very uncommon in the developed world but is running rampant in Africa, South America and other areas where HIV is more common. Liver cancer is also rather uncommon in the developed world but is eight to ten times more common in SE Asia due to the predisposition related to birth problems (weight being a big one) but most importantly the incidences of Hepatitis B and C in those countries.

In the developed world, there is a greater incidence of the 'age related' cancers. Prostate and breast cancer rates are extremely high in the developed world and comparatively non-existent in a lot of the developed world. This is in large part because the risk of these cancers rises exponentially after you're 50. Same goes for lung cancer where the correlations are a bit harder, but while the environment you're in plays a huge part, the older you are, the greater chance of it showing up at some point.

As for GM food, chances are if you're in Asia or Africa, your produce has been heavily influenced by Norman Borlaug and the Green Revolution people who introduced many varieties of GM foods over the past 40 years.

FixedGear
03-14-2013, 01:42 PM
^great points

jaysas_63
03-14-2013, 01:51 PM
I have a few passports. I look at them as more of a liability than anything. more paper work, more complication, more hassle. I'm sure They'll be of use one day, just not sure of the cost/benefit.

I maintain quality of life in Canada is better than anywhere else in the world Ive traveled/lived. only reason I'd consider moving elsewhere is weather.

FixedGear
03-14-2013, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by jaysas_63
I maintain quality of life in Canada is better than anywhere else in the world Ive traveled/lived.

me too. I'm an american who has traveled all over, and lived in Canada for 12 years, and I think Canada is the best country in the world. I'm not living in Canada at the moment, but am hoping to move back within the next few years.

davidI
03-14-2013, 10:52 PM

you're posted a series of magazine articles. just look at the references in those articles to see that it's not based on any real science.

EDIT: I'm not saying that GM foods (obtained via either selective breeding or genetic engineering) can't have important ecological effects... My point is that there is no fundamental difference between modern and antiquated methods. If you're going to worry about this, you may just as well stop eating, because every single food we have today is a result of GM since the dawn of agriculture.

if you're going to do this, you better be prepared to eat things like teocinte (pictured on left) instead of corn (pictured on right)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/cb/Maize-teosinte.jpg/499px-Maize-teosinte.jpg

or tiny wild banannas with seeds

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/eb/Inside_a_wild-type_banana.jpg/796px-Inside_a_wild-type_banana.jpg

Thank you for quoting the 2 primary examples of evolution through selective breeding from Jared Diamond's GG&S book. I'm well aware of natural evolution and have no concerns with it. I wll continue to eat naturally raised plants and animals as people and animals have done for 1000s of years, and you can eat chemically treated foods and vegetables developed in laboratories in the 70s.

I will leave it to the scientists to debate the actual health impacts. Even then, scientists thought tobacco, asbestos, CFCs, and DDT were safe at one time so at the end of the day it's up to each of us to make our own lifestyle choices.

Originally posted by Mibz
Better doesn't mean healthier. Two bananas on the same bunch can taste different. Does the one that tastes better have "better" nutrition?

You're associating taste and nutrition because you want to, not because it's true.

Did I say that anywhere? No. I said you can taste a difference between organic and GM foods, that was it. All I was stating is there a noticeable difference. Way to read what you wanted to into that!

LOL.

from your link, "Most scientists working in the field are unaware of the extent of these mutations, and no studies have examined genome-wide changes in commercialized GM plants." :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: what you're citing isn't even up to the standards of pseudoscience.

what do you konw about the Institute for Responsible Technology? Here is the background of the executive director:

Do you really believe what that guy is telling you about science of any kind?

Haha, let's quote the part of how no studies have been done to support the argument that laboratory foods are safe. Interesting logic! That's one of the biggest problems with all of this, there have been very few studies done.

:rofl: You're really stretching by picking on the background of the ED. Did you know the CEO of Husky worked for Vodafone and Pepsi before taking the helm of a major oil company? Guess I better call the BOD and tell them to fire their CEO since he doesn't have the right background to provide proper guidance :rofl:

The American Academy of Environmental Medicine (AAEM) reported that “Several animal studies indicate serious health risks associated with GM food,” including infertility, immune problems, accelerated aging, faulty insulin regulation, and changes in major organs and the gastrointestinal system. The AAEM asked physicians to advise patients to avoid GM foods.
Before the FDA decided to allow GMOs into food without labeling, FDA scientists had repeatedly warned that GM foods can create unpredictable, hard-to-detect side effects, including allergies, toxins, new diseases, and nutritional problems. They urged long-term safety studies, but were ignored.

There's a greater correlation between cancer rates and life expectancy: the longer you live, the greater chance you have of getting cancer therefore the rates in the Western world are higher and there are correlations of developing world's cancer rates increasing with their increased life expectancy rates. Plus in developing world countries their mortality rates for cancer are just as high, often higher than the countries where the instances are higher. This also doesn't take into account the lack of reliability of accurately assessing a cancer rate because you need rather comprehensive health system to actually get a proper rate from around the country.

But in reality cancer rates can be divided into various regions. Cervical cancer is very uncommon in the developed world but is running rampant in Africa, South America and other areas where HIV is more common. Liver cancer is also rather uncommon in the developed world but is eight to ten times more common in SE Asia due to the predisposition related to birth problems (weight being a big one) but most importantly the incidences of Hepatitis B and C in those countries.

In the developed world, there is a greater incidence of the 'age related' cancers. Prostate and breast cancer rates are extremely high in the developed world and comparatively non-existent in a lot of the developed world. This is in large part because the risk of these cancers rises exponentially after you're 50. Same goes for lung cancer where the correlations are a bit harder, but while the environment you're in plays a huge part, the older you are, the greater chance of it showing up at some point.

As for GM food, chances are if you're in Asia or Africa, your produce has been heavily influenced by Norman Borlaug and the Green Revolution people who introduced many varieties of GM foods over the past 40 years.

Thanks! Very informative post and I would definitely agree with what you've said.

me too. I'm an american who has traveled all over, and lived in Canada for 12 years, and I think Canada is the best country in the world. I'm not living in Canada at the moment, but am hoping to move back within the next few years.

You're an American? Why am I not surprised you're so ignorant to alternative views. In any event, Canada can have an excellent quality of life and it definitely provides the safety net and support system many people need.

I certainly don't think the international lifestyle is for everyone. In fact, it probably suits <5% of people...maybe even <1%. From my perspective, living internationally offers better weather, less stress, better food and can potentially offer a safer environment and better infrastructure (but that would have to be a city to city comparison). At the end of the day, I'm making the choice because a dollar goes much further internationally than it does at home and thus my quality of life is much higher. I can also selectively choose the services and support systems I need, rather than being taxed to the max to fund public systems marred by bureaucracy and an over-reaching legal system.

FixedGear
03-14-2013, 10:56 PM

Thank you for quoting the 2 primary examples of evolution through selective breeding from Jared Diamond's GG&amp;S book. I'm well aware of natural evolution and have no concerns with it. I wll continue to eat naturally raised plants and animals as people and animals have done for 1000s of years, and you can eat chemically treated foods and vegetables developed in laboratories in the 70s.

I didn't realize the teosinte and banana examples were in Diamond's old book, but so what? Does that somehow compromise my example, or my argument that 100% of food produced via agriculture is genetically modified? I'm not just repeating stuff I read in a bestseller, either, I happen to have a little bit of a background in this area.

I will leave it to the scientists to debate the actual health impacts.

but you're talking to one now!

Haha, let's quote the part of how no studies have been done to support the argument that laboratory foods are safe. Interesting logic! That's one of the biggest problems with all of this, there have been very few studies done.

I quoted that piece not because it says studies haven't been done, but because it is an admission by a pseudoscientist that real scientists don't agree with the nonsense they're spewing.

:rofl: You're really stretching by picking on the background of the ED. Did you know the CEO of Husky worked for Vodafone and Pepsi before taking the helm of a major oil company? Guess I better call the BOD and tell them to fire their CEO since he doesn't have the right background to provide proper guidance :rofl:

Why so? The guy has absolutely zero background in science, and yet is claiming to be a GM expert. He's a fucking sham!

The American Academy of Environmental Medicine (AAEM) reported that “Several animal studies indicate serious health risks associated with GM food,” including infertility, immune problems, accelerated aging, faulty insulin regulation, and changes in major organs and the gastrointestinal system. The AAEM asked physicians to advise patients to avoid GM foods.
Before the FDA decided to allow GMOs into food without labeling, FDA scientists had repeatedly warned that GM foods can create unpredictable, hard-to-detect side effects, including allergies, toxins, new diseases, and nutritional problems. They urged long-term safety studies, but were ignored.

why do you keep posting pseudoscience? From wikipedia: "the Quackwatch lists the American Academy of Environmental Medicine (AAEM) as a questionable organization, and its certifying board, the American Board of Environmental Medicine as a dubious certifying board. They are not recognized by the American Board of Medical Specialties." I'm guessing your understanding of climate change is based on information from Friends of Science???

You're an American? Why am I not surprised you're so ignorant to alternative views. In any event, Canada can have an excellent quality of life and it definitely provides the safety net and support system many people need.

you know someone has run out of arguments when they resort to insults. :rofl:

davidI
03-14-2013, 11:07 PM
you know someone has run out of arguments when they resort to insults. :rofl:

It wasn't intended as an insult, it just comes as little surprise to me that you buy into popular beliefs and what the government tells you without really questioning it.

I come from a business background and the most valuable thing I've learned in life is to follow the profits as that is where you will find the influence and power. Does GM make Big Ag more profitable? You bet it does. Makes one wonder who finances the studies that conclude GM foods are safe, when so many independent studies appear to have concluded the opposite. Enough of that debate though - has very little to do with the concept of living internationally.

FixedGear
03-14-2013, 11:21 PM
Does GM make Big Ag more profitable? You bet it does. Makes one wonder who finances the studies that conclude GM foods are safe, when so many activist pseudoscientists appear to have concluded the opposite.

fixed

davidI
03-14-2013, 11:26 PM

I didn't realize the teosinte and banana examples were in Diamond's old book, but so what? does that somehow compromise my example, or my argument that all your food is GM anyhow?

you're talking to one now.

I quoted that piece not because it says studies haven't been done, but because it is an admission by a pseudoscientis that real scientists don't agree with what they are saying.

Selective engineering is vastly different from GM. I thought you had some extraordinary science background? There is a significant difference between the two so the fact you're using them together in your arguments makes me think you just glanced at wikipedia to form your 'education' on this subject.
Edit: Just read that you're now claiming to be a scientist. Wow, that 4-year degree certainly went to your head!

I know you're just going to pick the pieces of any studies I post apart to grab the pieces that support your argument so it's almost pointless for me to post them. Search Google Scholar and you'll find a few. Here's a quick article in SA on one recent $4.1 million study by a molecular biologist:
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=rat-study-sparks-furor-over-genetically-modified-foods

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=infographic-all-the-genetically-mod-2011-10
I like the part of this article where it says in Canada and the US no labeling is required, but in 40 other countries, the labeling is required since GMOs haven't been proven to be safe. Pretty much all I'm saying...

max_boost
03-14-2013, 11:26 PM
davidI is Definitely one of those interesting beyonders.

Graduated university, works abroad, travels like no other, owns a house, realistically I don't know anyone else who does all that. Most of my friends just finished uni and still living at home lol Good for him.

I agree with modelexis, I'm far too comfortable to roam around anywhere haha

davidI
03-14-2013, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
davidI is Definitely one of those interesting beyonders.

Graduated university, works abroad, travels like no other, owns a house, realistically I don't know anyone else who does all that. Most of my friends just finished uni and still living at home lol Good for him.

I agree with modelexis, I'm far too comfortable to roam around anywhere haha

Thanks man! It works for me but certainly wouldn't suit everyone. I set pretty serious goals for myself and have done a good job of knocking them off so far. I'm actually trying to sell my house and the majority of my belongings now as they have become more of a burden than an asset. I subscribe to the Think & Grow Rich visualization theory and have always written my goals and read over them at least twice a day. Now that my LLM and CFA Level 1 are done, I'm just focusing on the $$$ and retiring from the office as soon as possible (probably to start a small beach business or mountain touring company or something). I've called it my "Freedom 35" plan, as I hope to manage to be done with the 'fluorescent lit box' at 35.

Current Written Goals:

o $1 Million by 30. $2 Million by 35. FREEDOM 35!
o Work Hard & be Professional at ALL Times. FREEDOM 35!
o Limit Spending. Stay Healthy. Maintain a Routine. FREEDOM 35!
o Future Lifestyle Planning. FREEDOM 35!

FixedGear
03-14-2013, 11:44 PM

Selective engineering is vastly different from GM. I thought you had some extraordinary science background? There is a significant difference between the two so the fact you're using them together in your arguments makes me think you just glanced at wikipedia to form your 'education' on this subject.
Edit: Just read that you're now claiming to be a scientist. Wow, that 4-year degree certainly went to your head!

I know you're just going to pick the pieces of any studies I post apart to grab the pieces that support your argument so it's almost pointless for me to post them. Search Google Scholar and you'll find a few. Here's a quick article in SA on one recent $4.1 million study by a molecular biologist:
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=rat-study-sparks-furor-over-genetically-modified-foods

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=infographic-all-the-genetically-mod-2011-10
I like the part of this article where it says in Canada and the US no labeling is required, but in 40 other countries, the labeling is required since GMOs haven't been proven to be safe. Pretty much all I'm saying...

First, why are you making assumptions about me, and then using them to insult me? You don't know me or my credentials. I don't need to detail my degrees or my accomplishments here, but you should at least think about the evidence (or lack thereof) underlying your baseless insults.

Second, it's called "selective breeding," not "selective engineering." This is a different method than genetic engineering, but it produces the same result (only slower). It is a form of GM. If you look on the wikipedia page for GM, you'll see right there in the first paragraph that it mentions that both of these are different methods of GM. I'm not making this up.

Third, "significant difference" has a very explicit and important definition in science (and in business, I would assume). You should be careful how you use so you don't look silly.

davidI
03-14-2013, 11:50 PM
davidI, I don't know how old you are, but I bet in 5-10 years you're going to think differently about some of this. I'm not disagreeing with anything yo'u're saying, but you should try not close any doors so you aren't &quot;stuck&quot; somewhere in 10 years, after your opinions have changed.

Been working overseas as an expat for 7 years now, since I was 22. I spent 9 months back in Calgary when I was 25 as I thought it was time to "settle down". I bought a house, got back into the usual Calgary routine, and am surprised I didn't blast my brains out. I hated it. I'm good friends with a lot of expats in their 40s, 50s, 60s, and even 70s and it's definitely the lifestyle for me.

I will not necessarily settle down in a developing country, but definitely somewhere with a more relaxed and less consumerist lifestlye. There are certain European countries that may fit that mold for me, but we'll wait and see.

davidI
03-14-2013, 11:58 PM

Third, &quot;significant difference&quot; has a very explicit and important definition in science (and in business, I would assume). You should be careful how you use so you don't look silly.

I wasn't going to respond to any more of your arguments on this, but there is a significant difference between Selective Breeding (you're correct, my typo, I meant breeding rather than engineering) and GM.

Craig Holdrege, director of The Nature Institute explains that the most critical difference between natural and GM breeding is that natural breeding crosses only organisms that are already closely related—two varieties of corn, for example—whereas, in contrast, GM breeding slaps together genes from up to 15 wildly different sources. Here’s how he explained the convoluted GM breeding process to me in an email:

To make a GM plant, scientists need to isolate DNA from different organisms—bacteria, viruses, plants, and sometimes animals (or humans if the target gene is a human gene). They then recombine these genes biochemically in the lab to make a "gene construct," which can consist of DNA from five to fifteen different sources. This gene construct is cloned in bacteria to make lots of copies, which are then isolated. Next, the copies are shot into embryonic plant tissue (microprojectile bombardment), or moved into plant tissue via a particular bacterium (Agrobacterium) that acts as a vector. After getting the construct copies into the embryonic plant tissue, whole plants are regenerated. Only a few plants out of many hundreds will turn out to grow normally and exhibit the desired trait—such as herbicide resistance.

Or take it from Joe Mendelson, director of the Center for Food Safety. Here’s how he put in it in an email:

The difference is pretty large. In regular cross pollination, the species being crossed have to be related . . . basically respecting their common evolutionary origin. But with GMOs, you can take any gene from any species and splice it into a crop. So you get fish genes in tomatoes or the like.

FixedGear
03-15-2013, 12:07 AM
^^but thats simply a difference in methodology... At the end of the day, GM via either method has the same result. Going any further (like you're doing about "respecting" common evolutionary origin) is a subjective value judgement. You do realize that every living thing that has ever existed is related and shares a common ancestor, right? Where do you draw the line? You can't, because its a value judgement. What i consider to be related you may not consider to be related. This is why scientists, who strive to be unbiased and objective, group these together as GM methods. It's only activist non-scientists who argue about it.

davidI
03-15-2013, 12:18 AM
^^but thats simply a difference in methodology... At the end of the day, GM via either method has the same result. Going any further (like you're doing about &quot;respecting&quot; common evolutionary origin) is a subjective value judgement. You do realize that every living thing that has ever existed is related and shares a common ancestor, right? Where do you draw the line? You can't, because its a value judgement. What i consider to be related you may not consider to be related. This is why scientists, who strive to be unbiased and objective, group these together as GM methods. It's only activist non-scientists who argue about it.

The day I see a fish breed with a tomato plant is the day I will buy into your argument.

Isaiah
03-15-2013, 12:20 AM

They're all livestrong articles. Ironic source considering we're talking about pumping steroids into a piece of meat to improve performance.

Some hormones make animals gain weight faster, reducing the time it takes to get them to slaughter and into stores.
...or reducing the time it takes to get them to the finish line of the tour de France.

davidI
03-15-2013, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by Isaiah

They're all livestrong articles. Ironic source considering we're talking about pumping steroids into a piece of meat to improve performance.

...or reducing the time it takes to them to the finish line of the tour de France.

:rofl:

FixedGear
03-15-2013, 12:29 AM

The day I see a fish breed with a tomato plant is the day I will buy into your argument.

Humans can't breed with fruit flies, and yet the majority of their genome is copied in the human genome. :dunno:

davidI
03-15-2013, 12:42 AM

Humans can't breed with fruit flies, and yet the majority of their genome is copied in the human genome. :dunno:

Over thousands of years. Not in a test tube experiment on a work bench. Just quit hijacking my thread already. I really don't care. You can eat your frankenstein potatos and I will eat potatos as nature intended. Whoever lives a happier, healthier life, wins.

Mibz
03-15-2013, 06:06 AM
Did I say that anywhere? No. I said you can taste a difference between organic and GM foods, that was it. All I was stating is there a noticeable difference. Way to read what you wanted to into that! You're right, I assumed, my bad.

adamc
03-15-2013, 08:33 PM
This thread went full retard since I last read it (page 2).

Page me when it comes back around to the pros and cons of expatriate life outside of Canada though, because that is a topic that definitely does interest me.

Having travelled extensively on MY assortment of passports, I would agree wholeheartedly about a palpable quality of life difference between Calgary (Canada, really) and countries like Thailand, others in S.E. Asia, and a handful of Western European counties.

A priority is placed on actually living in some of those places, and you really can feel a major difference in attitude touching back down in Canada after being abroad for an extended period of time.

I've made closer bonds, and kept in contact longer with people I met spending a few months in Indonesia than the reams of self-important d'bags I have the displeasure of calling associates here in Calgary.

Keep us updated David, I'm envious, I won't be far behind.

badatusrnames
03-15-2013, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by adamc

A priority is placed on actually living in some of those places, and you really can feel a major difference in attitude touching back down in Canada after being abroad for an extended period of time.

Couldn't agree more, after a few weeks in SE Asia, Calgary felt like an empty, hollow place...

CompletelyNumb
03-15-2013, 09:13 PM

Page me when it comes back around to the pros and cons of expatriate life outside of Canada though, because that is a topic that definitely does interest me.

Having travelled extensively on MY assortment of passports, I would agree wholeheartedly about a palpable quality of life difference between Calgary (Canada, really) and countries like Thailand, others in S.E. Asia, and a handful of Western European counties.

I've made closer bonds, and kept in contact longer with people I met spending a few months in Indonesia than the reams of self-important d'bags I have the displeasure of calling associates here in Calgary.

:werd:

The more countries I stay in the more I want to take an extended leave.

codetrap
03-15-2013, 09:22 PM

davidI
03-15-2013, 10:25 PM

Originally posted by badatusrnames

Couldn't agree more, after a few weeks in SE Asia, Calgary felt like an empty, hollow place...

Originally posted by CompletelyNumb

:werd:

The more countries I stay in the more I want to take an extended leave.

Thanks for trying to get the thread back on subject guys! I won't be responding to any posts related to the stupid produce debate anymore. I should have just IL+1'd those guys to keep the thread on track.

CanmoreOrLess
03-15-2013, 10:31 PM
One wonders where the mods go when threads go off the rails. Out back for a smoke?

davidI
03-15-2013, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by CanmoreOrLess
One wonders where the mods go when threads go off the rails. Out back for a smoke?

It was my own fault. I let myself get trolled there!

Back on subject though:

I'm trying to come up with a short list for countries that do not tax worldwide income.

So far, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Nicaragua, Malaysia, Malawi and Namibia are on the list.

Malawi and Namibia seem to be very difficult places to get residency though so I think they're off the list.

I'd love to find somewhere relatively close to the Middle East just for the convenience of time zones and travel but I'm not coming up with many options!

It has been tough to figure out countries with favourable tax statuses...I've been going through this 1500 page tax guide, which is not a lot of fun. http://www.ey.com/GL/en/Services/Tax/The-worldwide-personal-tax-guide---Country-list

e36bmw///
03-16-2013, 02:02 PM
nm

e36bmw///
03-16-2013, 02:28 PM
nm

davidI
03-16-2013, 10:59 PM
Finally we're back on topic.

Have you considered setting up a corporation in a jurisdiction with no tax? Therefore, you could technically set up residence in a country you want, (assuming they don't have the same &quot;mind and management&quot; corporate treatment as they do in Canada) and not have to worry about worldwide income tax situation.

^ Also, DavidI

In order to cut ties with Canada to become a non-resident, how did you go around having an RRSP or pension accounts in Canada?

A co-worker is looking into setting up a corporation in the UAE right now so I'm waiting for him to do all of the ground work and I may follow in his footsteps if it works out. From what I've read, it's often $5-10k to set-up, but could definitely be worth it over the long haul. If you live in a country that taxes worldwide income, you'll still likely be forced to pay tax when you repatriate any income / dividends from the corporation, but clearly that also depends on each countries tax policies.

From what I've seen so far, you can maintain RRSPs & TFSAs but you may not continue to contribute and you must advise the bank that you're a non-resident so they can take witholdings if need be (which I only believe would apply to RRSP withdrawals).

FixedGear
03-16-2013, 11:52 PM
It never got off track, OP was the one who said he "wants to live somewhere where the meats and produce are not genetic mutants." I called him on that nonsense and suddenly he is complaining that the thread is off topic. :rofl: with all due respect OP, you're the one that brought the subject up! :devil:

davidI
03-17-2013, 12:57 AM
This person is on your Ignore List. To view this post click [here]

:whocares:

davidI
03-17-2013, 06:18 AM
Finally we're back on topic.

Have you considered setting up a corporation in a jurisdiction with no tax? Therefore, you could technically set up residence in a country you want, (assuming they don't have the same &quot;mind and management&quot; corporate treatment as they do in Canada) and not have to worry about worldwide income tax situation.

I should expand on this idea more. This is exactly what I would like to have set-up for retirement.

The goal once I stop working is to have my Canadian Citizenship, Financial Assets in a Tax Haven, and Residency in a country that does not tax worldwide income (thus allowing me to draw on my investments tax free).

What I'm looking into now is setting up my Savings & Brokerage in a haven somewhere: Panama / Dubai / Hong Kong / Singapore / Luxembourg) either as an individual or through a corporation. Once I'm done working, I will need to establish residency in a country that does not tax worldwide income. My hope will then be to live off of the interest / dividends of my investments which I can bring into my country of residence tax free.

For example, using the "Freedom 35" calculator I built in Excel, if I were to retire at 35, and live until 85 (50 years of retirement), I could pull an annual income of $50k, or over $4k per month, after tax, with a rate of return of only 3% and only $1.25 million in the bank at retirement. If I reach my goal of $2 million, that leaves me with $750k for a house, small business, and rainy day fund.

Those income numbers aren't adjusted for inflation so that is certainly a consideration, and that is assuming I draw down the principal so that when I croak at 85, I am broke.

Lots of assumptions there, but you could live a seriously good life in Costa Rica or Nicaragua or Guatemala for $4k/month - especially if you own your property and have additional income from a business.

At least that is how I foresee it all working!

speedog
03-17-2013, 07:07 AM
Different tracks in life we definitely are on, myself and davidI. Hope his plan works out for him and I wouldn't ever admonish him for what he is doing. Just not my cup of tea, never was, never will be.

Seth1968
03-17-2013, 11:06 AM
David,

I understand your frustration and the means you're willing to take to overcome them.

Instead of running and hiding from a corrupt and self servicing government, how about we acknowledge that us TAX PAYERS should make the law, and NOT vote hungry politicians that give our money to any POS (be it civil or commercial) that knocks on the door.

I could elaborate further if requested, but suffice to say, a Direct Democracy would eliminate such nonsense, so why haven't you commented here:

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/367545/direct-democracy/

davidI
03-17-2013, 11:32 AM
I agree with you in principle, but there are too many dumb and useless tax payers who love the entitlements given to them and who buy into the media hype that governments use to control populations. They won't care about the spiraling debts until the bubble bursts...but even then, the majority will continue to get what they want, and sadly, the majority is not always right.

I guess all I'm saying is that I'm a realist and taking control of my own life.

FixedGear
03-17-2013, 12:07 PM
I don't understand why people work jobs they just want to retire from anyway? The people who are really smart work towards a career that they can enjoy for their whole lives. I can't think of a more mundane existence than being retired. :rofl:

EDIT: it's Sunday morning and I'm actually looking forward to spending the afternoon catching up on work. :rofl:

Seth1968
03-17-2013, 12:54 PM
I don't understand why people work jobs they just want to retire from anyway?

Just like your final reply to Davids thread.

Whoosh.

davidI
03-17-2013, 10:31 PM
I couldn't see that post until you quoted it. :D

My retirement will be full of traveling, surfing, skiing, snowboarding, golfing, hiking, motorbiking, mountain biking, reading, painting, drawing, photography, cooking, stock trading, working out, training martial arts, farming, teaching, building, working on cars / bikes, brewing beer, volunteering and hopefully setting up some small businesses for fun. It's not like I plan to stop working....but I do plan to stop working for money and just focus on enjoying life through my hobbies and my friends. I sure as hell plan to stop working in an office, on a computer, or where I get called into meetings and conference calls! Perhaps the occasional O&G consulting gig will present itself that I get involved in for a few months just to keep my head in the game, but devoting my life to a specific career is not my style.

I'm sure the occasional sundowner beer will be involved too (and by occasional, I mean every afternoon you can see the sun go down!).

davidI
03-18-2013, 09:56 AM
If this Cyprus banking fiasco isn't a motivator to keep assets in multiple jurisdictions, I don't know what is!!

davidI
03-20-2013, 10:57 PM
“In general, a focus on government efficiency and general expense reduction is always welcome. Today’s deficits are an unfortunate burden passed on to the working people of tomorrow. While they are manageable in today’s world of ultra-low interest rates, they will reduce the standard of living of the next generation if not addressed now,” says Mr. Soper.

http://business.financialpost.com/2013/03/20/federal-budget-jim-flaherty-wish-list/

This is another reason I no longer think Canada is the place for me. Unfortunately, the baby boomers and generation X lived a quality of life higher than they can afford, and now generation Y & Z are going to have to pick up the tab.

colsankey
03-20-2013, 11:40 PM
David how old are you?

I'd suspect most of this board is gen x.

And while some are probably living beyond their means, it's not a generalization I think applies to most of my friends or people I know.

davidI
03-21-2013, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by colsankey
David how old are you?

I'd suspect most of this board is gen x.

And while some are probably living beyond their means, it's not a generalization I think applies to most of my friends or people I know.

Not quite 30 but getting close. I'd consider myself Gen Y.

I know a lot of Calgarians living beyond their means. Sure they may be able to afford their mortgage and car payments, but are they also putting aside enough for retirement? Will they be able to afford their current lifestyle if the government social net collapses?

That said, my concern isn't really related to personal debt. It's more the macro view of government spending and the fact the deficit / debt are unsustainable. In a sense, that government debt is a debt of the people, and eventually holes in the safety nets provided by the government will develop. It's an unsustainable system. Will quality of life be the same for Gen Y & Gen Z if they have to pay the same or more for tax, but won't receive the same quality of healthcare, education, or any pension benefits?

davidI
05-21-2013, 12:16 AM
Updates:

House, car, and all assets are sold in Canada. My skis are in storage at my parent's house but that's about all I have left in Canada.

Still working to set-up banking & trading accounts. Trying to set up an Interactive Brokers trading account here in Yemen but I've been having a hard time providing the documentation they need to prove residency since my accommodation is handled by the company I work for (they want utility bills, mortgage papers, deed etc. - none of which I have).

Still sorting out the banking too. I'm hoping to open a non-resident account in the UAE on my way through Dubai next week. I've also got some information on RBC accounts in Jersey but they have some pretty steep fees so I'll wait and see if the Dubai option works out first.

So far I'm loving the freedom. There are still a few administrative hassles to deal with, and I'll have to file my final Canadian income tax statement next April, but things are generally working out well.

Next year, if my contract isn't extended for the long-term, I may look at setting up a FZE company in the RAK Free Zone in the UAE. It would be fun to rent / buy an apartment in Dubai for a year and buy a Ferrari or Lambo and live the playboy lifestyle for my 30th year of life! It may turn my Freedom 35 plan into a Freedom 36 plan, but it would be fun as hell!

davidI
06-29-2013, 12:08 AM
The last couple of days I've seriously been looking into Andorra as a potential future residency.

They've recently been changing their tax laws (due to pressure from the EU) so it's not the tax haven it once was, but it still looks great. They've also opened things up to 100% foreign ownership. I'll have to spend some time there to determine if it really is for me, but on paper it looks great.

From what I've been reading so far...

Tax:
No tax on worldwide income.
In the event income tax is introduced (expected) it will be limited to 10%. This can be deducted further if 85% of activity is international.
Corporate taxes, Capital gains taxes, etc. 10%
VAT 4.5% - French and Spanish still view it as a country to go duty free shopping

Lifestyle:
Population of 80k
High Quality of Life (Ranked 12th worldwide)
Low Crime
High Life Expectancy (82 years - 4th worldwide)
Free public education
Great Climate (2-26C year-round, 265+ days of Sunshine)
3 ski hills
Low cost of living
2.5 hour drive to Barcelona

Residency:
Investment of 400k Euros (can be real estate or just an investment in the banks)
50k Euro returnable bond
Commitment to spend 90 days per year in Andorra
Proof of residence (lease or ownership)

Biggest Negative is they don't have an airport and it's a bit of a haul to Barcelona or Toulouse for flights.

Monaco isn't as bad of an option as I thought it was either, but I thnk the cost of living in Monaco is probably much higher and the lifestyle doesn't appeal to me as much. The nice thing with Andorra is all of the outdoor activities available, from hiking to skiing to fishing to lake diving. Plus, only 2.5 hours from the beach!!

Marsh
07-01-2013, 12:24 PM
Updates:

House, car, and all assets are sold in Canada. My skis are in storage at my parent's house but that's about all I have left in Canada.

Still working to set-up banking &amp; trading accounts. Trying to set up an Interactive Brokers trading account here in Yemen but I've been having a hard time providing the documentation they need to prove residency since my accommodation is handled by the company I work for (they want utility bills, mortgage papers, deed etc. - none of which I have).

Still sorting out the banking too. I'm hoping to open a non-resident account in the UAE on my way through Dubai next week. I've also got some information on RBC accounts in Jersey but they have some pretty steep fees so I'll wait and see if the Dubai option works out first.

So far I'm loving the freedom. There are still a few administrative hassles to deal with, and I'll have to file my final Canadian income tax statement next April, but things are generally working out well.

Next year, if my contract isn't extended for the long-term, I may look at setting up a FZE company in the RAK Free Zone in the UAE. It would be fun to rent / buy an apartment in Dubai for a year and buy a Ferrari or Lambo and live the playboy lifestyle for my 30th year of life! It may turn my Freedom 35 plan into a Freedom 36 plan, but it would be fun as hell!

Nice, cool to see you executing on your plan. What is a FZE company?

davidI
07-01-2013, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by Marsh

Nice, cool to see you executing on your plan. What is a FZE company?

"Free Zone Establishment" - basically, it just means your company is registered in a tax-free

Copy and Paste Below:

Free Zone Establishment/Company (FZE/FZC)
FZE or FZC are limited liability entities owned by an individual or corporate entity. There are slight differences between the entities. For example, Free Zone Establishment has only one single shareholder. Free Zone Company has 2 to 5 shareholders. Free Zone Limited Liability Company – Natural Person (FZ LLC) is an independent company incorporated by an individual and whereby all the shareholders are natural persons. Free Zone Limited Liability Company – Corporate (FZ LLC) is a company incorporated by a corporation and whereby the shareholder of the FZC is a company.

What are advantages of settling in a free zone?
Among numerous advantages for a foreign investor setting up his/her business in a UAE free zone there are:
No personal income or capital gain taxes in the UAE
100% ownership of the business
No corporate taxes for 50 years
100% repatriation of capital and profits

blitz
07-01-2013, 10:16 PM

Not quite 30 but getting close. I'd consider myself Gen Y.

Clicked on your blog for shits and giggles, says you completed you Bachelors degree in 2002, which means you were 18? This a Good Will Hunting type thing?

davidI
07-01-2013, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by blitz

Clicked on your blog for shits and giggles, says you completed you Bachelors degree in 2002, which means you were 18? This a Good Will Hunting type thing?

Good catch! Bachelors degree was in 2006. High School was 2002. I'll have to get that fixed. Thanks!

adamc
08-27-2013, 02:37 PM
Updates?

Getting very cozy with the idea of pulling the pin on Canadian life, myself. Especially enticing are the huge plots of land w/country houses for sale in southern Spain. €50k buys you a fixer upper with 20+ acres of your own Andalusian paradise. Very tempting as a EUzone passport holder.

With regard to tax, Gibraltar seems like it has been/could be a good option for a low tax residency, the only downside is it, unfortunately, comes with a steep entry fee.

Anything else come up in the time since this thread has been updated?

Tram Common
08-27-2013, 04:04 PM
Andorra?

Dude, you live in Canada... probably one of the greatest countries in the world for outdoor activities... all I read in your posts is this desire to be able to retire into a life of freedom... I think you're seriously not seeing the forest from the trees.

I have a feeling you're going to wake up one day and realize you've wasted all your good years planning for a life that has passed you by...

... :dunno:

Maybelater
08-27-2013, 05:52 PM
Isn't pretty much all of Europe and SE Asia which most of you guys are praising nations built in the spirit of Socialism? :dunno:

Tram Common
08-28-2013, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by Maybelater
Isn't pretty much all of Europe and SE Asia which most of you guys are praising nations built in the spirit of Socialism? :dunno:

What's wrong with socialism? We're a pretty socialist country ourselves.