PDA

View Full Version : Phone Interviews?

dj_patm
03-12-2013, 03:00 PM
So I got an email today from a company I applied at for a phone interview tomorrow. I've never had a phone interview before so I was wondering if anyone here had any tips or advice going into it?

Also, I think I'm pretty underqualified for the position. I mean, I basically meet all of the expectations in the posting but I would be in charge of a "one man" department, which seems kind of daunting and technically, it would be a department I've never actually worked in at another comapny. Plenty of experience and education in that area just never under that umbrella specifically.

But hey. I didn't lie or anything in my resume so there must be a reason they want to interview me.

SJW
03-12-2013, 03:03 PM
Just be honest and show interest in what you've applied for. They look for ambition.

DeleriousZ
03-12-2013, 03:19 PM
A lot of the time companies are more worried about the person's character, and if they're going to show up every day vs being completely qualified. If it's a good company they will be willing to do on-site training as long as it's not too significant.

Kloubek
03-12-2013, 03:43 PM
A lot of times people will apply for a job that they aren't 100% suited for... such as working in an area/department they haven't in the past. This doesn't mean that they aren't capable of doing the job... it might just mean they need some extra training to learn it. With this said, most jobs require some level of training and candidates aren't usually expected to simply walk in and assume a role. (Depending on the type of job, of course.)

When having your interview, try to ensure what you say reflects your ability to do the role at hand. This seems obvious, of course, but the less they feel they're going to have to train you, the more likely it is your will be accepted for the job. So try to take your existing experience and abilities and tailor your presentation of them to reflect capability in the new role. But don't be too concerned about knowing *exactly* everything you'd be doing in that role; as you said - there is a reason they're interviewing you aside from solely your direct knowledge.

dj_patm
03-12-2013, 03:49 PM
Yeah I'll definitely have some notes infront of me on how to spin my resume and experience into what they outlined in the job posting.

I should clarify that it was specifically a request for "10 minute discussion about the role over the phone" so I'm assuming it's just a screening call or something?

FraserB
03-12-2013, 03:53 PM
Sounds like a screening call.

Make sure to use the speakerphone in your office at your current job for these interviews. Added benefit of showing that you're wanted by others if your boss overhears.:D

dj_patm
03-13-2013, 04:38 PM
Despite today being one of the worst days I've had, it went well.

Interview on monday :)

shynepho
03-13-2013, 04:44 PM
Just walk in with the mentality of if you want to work for the company and not if they want your or not. You got this!

dj_patm
03-19-2013, 09:53 AM
Bah, if you include the phone interview then I have my 3rd interview for this position today. Don't have a clue what to prepare for...

flipstah
03-19-2013, 10:57 AM
You've gone this far so that they means they really like you.

Good luck! :thumbsup:

dj_patm
03-19-2013, 01:47 PM
That interview was definitely more intense. I think it went okay. I haven't felt confident after leaving either of them though.

Now I'm supposed to touch base with some of their staff and talk to them about their experiences working there and then send them a couple paragraphs about why I want to work there... Definitely the most scrutinizing hiring process I've been a part of or seen.

flipstah
03-19-2013, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by dj_patm
That interview was definitely more intense. I think it went okay. I haven't felt confident after leaving either of them though.

Now I'm supposed to touch base with some of their staff and talk to them about their experiences working there and then send them a couple paragraphs about why I want to work there... Definitely the most scrutinizing hiring process I've been a part of or seen.

I smell troll...

dj_patm
03-19-2013, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by flipstah

I smell troll...

Wait, me or them?

I can assure you I'm not a troll. :dunno:

flipstah
03-19-2013, 02:06 PM

Wait, me or them?

I can assure you I'm not a troll. :dunno:

That's a lot of extra hurdles to go through for a position. Either the position must be really THAT big, company is one of the big ___, or being trolled.

dj_patm
03-19-2013, 02:15 PM
Oh man if the 50+ year old VP who is hiring for this position is trolling then A+ for her lol. It's a tiny company (<50 people).

This last step is a PITA though, no doubt, but it falls in line with everything they have been saying so far. They really want to make sure the person they hire is right and is in it for the long haul.

shakalaka
03-19-2013, 02:30 PM
Well there you go then. If you want the job you should definitely try to give them what they expect. Most companies do have 3 or so interviews, although I will admit that this is the first I am hearing about writing an essay of sorts.

dj_patm
03-19-2013, 02:44 PM
Yup this is definitely a job I want. I think my current lifestyle of drinking, smoking and partying combined with being in pencil pushing, boring ass, meaningless job has got me in a bad funk right now I think this job, which will be a huge change of pace and responsibility, will be exactly the kick in the ass I need to get out of it.

Plus, who knows, stock options + getting in at the ground floor could equal some nice change of pace in my wallet eventually :drool:

sputnik
03-19-2013, 02:45 PM

That's a lot of extra hurdles to go through for a position. Either the position must be really THAT big, company is one of the big ___, or being trolled.

My guess is that he pretty much has the job and the last step is simply just a vetting process to make sure he is a decent fit in terms of office culture.

My current job had two phone interviews and then the in-person interview was just more an informal conversation/Q&A session along with a tour of the office and data center. However I suspect that it was really only held to make sure I am someone with decent hygiene and a non-creepy personality.

msommers
03-19-2013, 04:56 PM

You'd be surprised by some of the hiring processes some companies have. A buddy of mine had a bit of a phone interview, had to come in and give a one hour talk on his undergrad thesis, then a nearly one day interview which I think was to see how he mingled with the group. Oh ya, this is for a 4-month student position :rofl: He loves the position mind you, so that says something about the company I guess.

flipstah
03-19-2013, 05:04 PM
Well, I know Shell has a multiple-day interview process for new grads but I've never heard of writing why I want the position. I've talked about it in interviews but not asked to write about it haha.

That's what threw me off.

dj_patm
03-20-2013, 08:39 AM
Wow to be honest, the people I talked to make this place sound like a micro managed, stress box...

2Legit2Quit
03-20-2013, 08:49 AM
That sounds awesome.......

dj_patm
03-20-2013, 08:51 AM
Yeah, kind of the opposite effect of what I think was intended.

It's almost like they were warning me.

Still going to go for it but I'll definitely have to think things through if they offer me the position.

n1zm0
03-20-2013, 10:01 PM
This happen to be a telus job of some sort?

dj_patm
03-20-2013, 10:41 PM
Nope. It's a tiny tiny company.

They told me they need another week to decide now... Not going to lie this is getting irritating.

dj_patm
04-02-2013, 10:08 AM
Wow, they wanted me to come for another interview (that would make it 5 interviews).

It might have been a bad career move but I told them no (respectfully of course). I can't see myself enjoying a job at a place like that and I also got the opportunity to go travel for a bit without the risk of falling into debt and seeing how I'm 23, newly single after 5 years and just graduated, it seems like the travelling option is the better route. Probably the last time I'll be able to go on an extended trip like this and on top of that, there are a ton of job postings in my field out there right now so I don't feel overly pressured.

ercchry
04-02-2013, 10:16 AM
wow... :rofl:

you have incredible patience, i would have started flipping over desks after the second interview :nut:

flipstah
04-02-2013, 10:24 AM
:nut:

dj_patm
04-02-2013, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by ercchry
wow... :rofl:

you have incredible patience, i would have started flipping over desks after the second interview :nut:

Well with how underqualified I am for the job I never really expected to get it so I was never really "waiting". I basically stopped caring after interview #3 lol.

flipstah
04-02-2013, 10:34 AM
So... Are you still going for that job?

It'd be funny if they knew you were on Beyond and now are just trolling you. :rofl:

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n34/zanstorm13/GIFS%20FOR%20GAME%20THREADS/macho-man-randy-savage_o_GIFSoup_com.gif

DeleriousZ
04-02-2013, 10:39 AM
Jesus, 5 interviews? Was that their bad way of laying down an april fool's joke?

dj_patm
04-02-2013, 10:50 AM
So... Are you still going for that job?

It'd be funny if they knew you were on Beyond and now are just trolling you. :rofl:

Fuck no lol I think I made the right choice. Everything about that place seems bad besides the potential raise.

Haha if that lady is on Beyond I'd be shocked. She doesn't seem like our "demographic" lol.

sillysod
04-02-2013, 11:06 AM
name the company...

....do it!

flipstah
04-02-2013, 11:15 AM

Haha if that lady is on Beyond I'd be shocked. She doesn't seem like our &quot;demographic&quot; lol.

One thing I've learned around here is never assume anything. You'd be surprised who's on here. :rofl:

ercchry
04-02-2013, 11:18 AM

One thing I've learned around here is never assume anything. You'd be surprised who's on here. :rofl:

o'rly?

lets give this a go!

dear bossman,

i am bored and want more money

thanks
me

rockwolf2001
04-06-2013, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by ercchry

o'rly?

lets give this a go!

dear bossman,