PDA

View Full Version : Buying a car from BC

fcuk_it
03-12-2013, 07:10 PM
I'm about to purchase a new car from Vancouver, and I know you have to pay the 12% hst on vehicles and when I register it back in AB I get refunded the 7% back, that's what the dealer said. Has anyone been through this and what is the process to get the refund back?

Thanks

BokCh0y
03-12-2013, 07:29 PM
I recently did this, however the dealership didn't charge me the HST, only GST. They told me that once I get the car back to AB., to do the OOP and then send them the registration once complete. Then they won't go after me for the additional portion of taxes so they saved me the time. Check with the dealer to see if they will do that for you. If not...here is a link with instructions:

http://www.sbr.gov.bc.ca/documents_library/bulletins/sst_007.pdf

Think this is the form:

http://www.sbr.gov.bc.ca/documents_library/forms/0413mvfill.pdf

Lastly - do this:

Get insurance and copy of bill of sale of vehicle. Take that to registry and get an in transit permit from Vancouver to Calgary. You'll stick that on the bottom right hand corner of the windshield of your ride, drive it back to Calgary. Then take the original bill of sale, the OOP, the insurance and the vehicle to the registry and that should be it.

Also if the dealer provides you with their BC OOP, see if the registry will accept that instead of making you get one done in alberta.

Good luck.

fcuk_it
03-12-2013, 08:08 PM
I'm getting the car shipped to my house, so would I just have to get the OOP and get it insured and registered then hey?

BokCh0y
03-12-2013, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by fcuk_it
I'm getting the car shipped to my house, so would I just have to get the OOP and get it insured and registered then hey?

Yeah if it's being shipped to house, then just OOP, insurance and registration. But you'll need to physically bring the car down to the registry along with your OOP, insurance, registration and bill of sale. They have to physically see/read/compare/confirm the VIN and the mileage on the vehicle. This is what they made me do. Then they'll send everything off to someone to review and when approved, you can register the vehicle.

The above is what they made me do, and i'm waiting for the OOP to be verified/approved so I can register. The dealership did an OOP for me even though it is a BC OOP, Alberta may accept it.

fcuk_it
03-13-2013, 12:12 AM
Originally posted by BokCh0y

Yeah if it's being shipped to house, then just OOP, insurance and registration. But you'll need to physically bring the car down to the registry along with your OOP, insurance, registration and bill of sale. They have to physically see/read/compare/confirm the VIN and the mileage on the vehicle. This is what they made me do. Then they'll send everything off to someone to review and when approved, you can register the vehicle.

The above is what they made me do, and i'm waiting for the OOP to be verified/approved so I can register. The dealership did an OOP for me even though it is a BC OOP, Alberta may accept it.

How long have you been waiting for it to be approved? So as of now you can't drive your car till it gets approved?

you&me
03-13-2013, 07:11 AM
Originally posted by BokCh0y

That would be the first I've heard of that. Not all shops in AB are recognized to perform OOPs, so I can't imagine an AB registry accepting an inspection from a BC shop. Also, you wouldn't have had the "request" form... None of that makes any sense.

OP - as noted, you don't pay the HST portion of the tax from the dealer in BC, and they know this. I'd be weary of any dealer that insists you pay - sounds shady, like they need the extra 7% to boost their cash flow.

Have the transport ship your car as planned (or have it shipped straight to the OOP inspection).

In the meantime, call your insurance company and initiate your policy. Get a copy.

Take your bill of sale to a registry and get an "OOP request form".

Once the car arrives, take the request form to the shop (along with the car, your bill of sale and insurance) and get the inspection done.

Take the completed inspection and your other documents back to the registry and register the car... done.

Skidro
03-13-2013, 07:46 AM
If i wanted to pick up a used car from kelowna, would I be able to get an OOP there and drive it back? The car i am looking at is over 15 years old

BokCh0y
03-13-2013, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by fcuk_it

How long have you been waiting for it to be approved? So as of now you can't drive your car till it gets approved?

yeah, it's just sitting around in the garage right now, can't do anything. Technically not supposed to drive it even with "in transit" papers because it isn't registered....or can you? I do have full insurance on it though.

Originally posted by you&me

That would be the first I've heard of that. Not all shops in AB are recognized to perform OOPs, so I can't imagine an AB registry accepting an inspection from a BC shop. Also, you wouldn't have had the "request" form... None of that makes any sense.

The OOP that was done in BC, was done from Lexus of Kelowna, so they are an authorized shop to perform the OOP.

Registries do accept OOP's done by other provinces as long as they are done by an authorized shop is what I was told. The registry confirmed this as well, hence why they took my BC OOP and sent it for approval.

BokCh0y
03-13-2013, 11:59 AM
Also it's called an exemption, that's what I applied for at the registries, an exemption. The OOP from another province has to be stamped within 90 days and it's fine. If it isn't then you have to go to the registries and grab the request for OOP form for like 10 bucks. Then book an apt to have it done. If it passes, bring everything to the registries and they'll give you the plate.

turbotrip
03-13-2013, 03:12 PM
if you are buying it from a dealer, you should only pay the GST and they will deal with the HST refund

fcuk_it
03-14-2013, 04:50 PM
Do I have to get a an OOP even if the car is brand new?

BokCh0y
03-14-2013, 06:16 PM
I think if it's under 5500km then they consider it new, you should be able to apply for an exemption. Have you called the registries to find out? That is what I was told, please correct me if I am wrong.