PDA

View Full Version : 2004 Formula One

SickBastard
02-17-2004, 07:05 PM
http://forums.beyond.ca/i/news/race1.gif

Who here is pumped for this? First race is australian and its on March 7/04.

Dont mind my spelling mistake.:nut:

EK 2.0
02-17-2004, 07:59 PM
I am always pumped for the beginning of the season, cause I love to see what developments the teams all came up with during the off season...

Same goes for Rally, and USED to go for CART...

hjr
02-17-2004, 08:02 PM
yay for another season of motorsport. luckily WRC is well on its way so i have not been in withdrawl

Team_Mclaren
02-17-2004, 08:12 PM
IM BUMP!!!!
MP4-19 POWER!!!!

:D

cappachihngo
02-17-2004, 11:16 PM
yupyup, i got the remote,couch, popcorn and the drinks already:thumbsup:

A2VR6
02-17-2004, 11:37 PM
It's going to be an intresting season... that reminds me gotta get ready for the early morning wake ups to catch the races.

SickBastard
02-18-2004, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by A2VR6
It's going to be an intresting season... that reminds me gotta get ready for the early morning wake ups to catch the races. Thats the one thing that always gets me. Partying late on saturday night and then trying to wake up and stay awake for the race.

rage2
02-18-2004, 11:22 AM
hehe, my brain has an internal F1 clock. This one time, I got super drunk on teh Saturday night, and passed out at Kenny's house at 3am. 5am, woke up (without an alarm), turned on the TV, and caught the entire race.

In the last 10 years, I think I've only missed 1 race live, and that was due to a business trip for work. I did catch parts of it at the airport though.

FiveFreshFish
02-18-2004, 06:29 PM
The first race is in Australia so you can just stay up around midnight for it. :thumbsup:

civic_stylez
02-18-2004, 07:01 PM
oh christ, when i saw the first ads on tv i started to get sweaty palms....so friggin excited!:clap: :clap:

rage2
02-18-2004, 07:56 PM
Gonna be real interesting with the new rule changes... longer lasting motors == less revs == less power. It's gonna be a whole new ballgame hehe.

cappachihngo
02-18-2004, 10:53 PM
man rage ur da man... i would stay up and watch it 2, but skool and wut not:(

rage2
02-18-2004, 11:39 PM
It's a sunday morning. Watch the race and go back to sleep! :)

SickBastard
02-18-2004, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by rage2
It's a sunday morning. Watch the race and go back to sleep! :) I sometimes tend to fall asleep with 5 laps to go. Then I wake up at the national anthems.

I am going to say Schuey is going on to his 7th world title.:thumbsup:

rage2
02-18-2004, 11:45 PM
I have a feeling Toyota's gonna come out on top this year...

SickBastard
02-18-2004, 11:48 PM
I have a feeling Toyota's gonna come out on top this year... I think abit more competative but not on top. I would say they are behind the top 3 teams. equal with Benneton and BAR.(well button says its the best car yet from Honda).

All I know is that it will be the best yr of formula one. Hell some of the best races were back in 94 and 95.

FiveFreshFish
02-18-2004, 11:50 PM
It's a sunday morning. Watch the race and go back to sleep! :)

According to the countdown clock (http://www.formula1.com/magazine/news/806.html), race events start at 8 PM Calgary time on Saturday, March 7.

rage2
02-19-2004, 12:01 AM
I meant for the races other than Japan, Austrailia, and US :).

FiveFreshFish
02-19-2004, 12:06 AM
I meant for the races other than Japan, Austrailia, and US :).
Don't forget Montreal! :thumbsup:

I wonder how well the drivers will perform at the new venues in Bahrain and Shanghai.

A2VR6
02-19-2004, 12:42 AM
How do you guys think Alonso is going to do this year? I'll be rooting for him this season, as I think he's one of the best.

Team_Mclaren
02-19-2004, 12:50 AM
How do you guys think Alonso is going to do this year? I'll be rooting for him this season, as I think he's one of the best.

not to forget about mark webber! his doing pretty good consider his car is noth compares to the top 5/6

el_fefes
02-19-2004, 01:09 AM
Montoya is gonna kick ass!!!! :clap:
let's hope he doesn't blow a lot of engines up this season.

92 Teg-B18A
02-19-2004, 06:06 PM
Gonna be real interesting with the new rule changes... longer lasting motors == less revs == less power. It's gonna be a whole new ballgame hehe.

Less power, I dunno about that. They've been breaking track records left and right with this coming's season's engines.
More expensive for sure.

I'm hopin' David Coulthard wins it this year! I hope he wins a championship before the end of his career. If not he'll be the only formula one driver to have won at Spa Francorchamps and not won the world chamiponship.

rage2
02-19-2004, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by 92 Teg-B18A
Less power, I dunno about that. They've been breaking track records left and right with this coming's season's engines.
Yea, every year the cars break track records but slow down during the season. During testing, they test for peak performance at very high revs, and they don't use ballasts either so the cars are underweight :).

This year will be more dramatic, as there are limits to the number of engines used, so they won't be able to push a motor just for the race. It's gotta last for race, quality, and practice.

Wonder what happens if someone blows their motor during practice...

SickBastard
02-19-2004, 07:49 PM
How do you guys think Alonso is going to do this year? I'll be rooting for him this season, as I think he's one of the best. He will do okay, but IMO doesnt have the experience yet to be a champion. Its just like Kimi Rikkonen.

boi-alien
02-19-2004, 08:02 PM
can't wait!!

hjr
02-19-2004, 08:15 PM
at least montreal is back on the calander. I was thinking of heading east to partake in the events this year then it got dropped. I was quite perterbed but now that its back on im in the planning stages of a canadian F1 trip. haha

hyperwhite
02-21-2004, 01:54 PM
mark webber is over rated. jenson button will finish fourth and honda will take third. toyota can stay at the bottom and kiss my ass!

Alpine Autowerks
02-21-2004, 05:48 PM
hoping for Renault to kick some a$$ this year, but it might be Ralf's turn ... because of the car not the driver.

Team_Mclaren
02-21-2004, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by hyperwhite
mark webber is over rated. jenson button will finish fourth and honda will take third. toyota can stay at the bottom and kiss my ass!

ahh, nope!!!

i dont see any of the three top teams will drop......
and nope mark webber is not over rated, when u drive a POS ford and manage to get points, u are good!

civic_stylez
02-22-2004, 12:45 PM
hey team mclaren, i see that kimi raikonnen isnt too impressesed with the new car for this year...he seems to feel that its lacking too much power and that the new car is "behind the competitors"..thats sucks! i want to see coulthard do really well this year and even though i am a die hard ferrari fan it was really nice to see pressure from merc and bmw last year....

SickBastard
02-22-2004, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by Alpine Autowerks
hoping for Renault to kick some a$$ this year, but it might be Ralf's turn ... because of the car not the driver. No way is ralf ever going to be an F1 champion. Too me hes the most overrated driver. Hes way to much in competition with beating his brother.

fast95pony
02-22-2004, 06:07 PM
It's going to be very interesting. New cars,drivers,and tracks !

I'd like to see Montoya win the drivers title ,and Da Matta get some podiums..

Team_Mclaren
02-22-2004, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by civic_stylez
hey team mclaren, i see that kimi raikonnen isnt too impressesed with the new car for this year...he seems to feel that its lacking too much power and that the new car is "behind the competitors"..thats sucks! i want to see coulthard do really well this year and even though i am a die hard ferrari fan it was really nice to see pressure from merc and bmw last year....

ya you are right...:(

when the car was first tested, it had a ver high potentiat. but appearly they are having a huge problem with relliablty, especially with the new rule which only one motor can be run during the weekend. so their temp solution to solve this is to tune the engine down to a lower spec. thats y the numbers are so shitty lately, from what i read, "they know where the problems are and its being fix..." :dunno:

hopefully it turns out alright....

rage2
02-22-2004, 11:58 PM
Which is why I've said in an earier post... the new engine rule is gonna turn things upside down.

Remember, in F1, revs == power. revs also eat away engine life, so to make it last longer, lower redline, lower power... you get the idea.

The less powerful but reliable engines from last year will have a HUGE advantage (which is the basis of my toyota comment) hehe.

Team_Mclaren
02-23-2004, 01:02 AM
im against this rule, the motor is designed to be fast and powerful and reliable (in a way more of less). U are not trying to sell a car here..... whats the point of this rule?

hyperwhite
02-24-2004, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by Team_Mclaren
im against this rule, the motor is designed to be fast and powerful and reliable (in a way more of less). U are not trying to sell a car here..... whats the point of this rule?

the purpose is to keep costs down by using less engines and level the playing feild for all the lower budget (aka jordan and minardi) teams to be more competitive.

P.S. thats never gonna happen :rofl: :rofl:

SickBastard
03-01-2004, 08:20 PM
WOOT WOOT. One more week.:thumbsup:

rage2
03-04-2004, 10:06 PM
Anyone watching practice times? It's on right now.

www.f1live.com hehe.

ninspeed
03-04-2004, 10:34 PM
yes... well.. over now... a few decent times up there... Da Matta, not so good

I like the new pace car though

Team_Mclaren
03-04-2004, 11:19 PM
damn i missed it!!! and appearly they dont have the qualify live as well.....

Damn im gonna miss the race on Sat night as well!!! AHHHHHHHAHAHAHA:whipped: :whipped:

rage2
03-05-2004, 11:09 AM
Man, Ferrari is doing some serious owning. The true test will be the race... same motor!

BTW - I figured out the new rule. You can change engines, but it'll drop you down 10 positions on the starting grid :eek:.

ninjak84
03-05-2004, 12:18 PM
I have a feeling Toyota's gonna come out on top this year...

Er..... :confused: :dunno:

fast95pony
03-05-2004, 01:02 PM
After all the hype from the other teams, it looks like Ferrari are wayyyy out in front again....

yawn....:zzz: :banghead:

gpomp
03-05-2004, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by fast95pony
After all the hype from the other teams, it looks like Ferrari are wayyyy out in front again....

yawn....:zzz: :banghead:
:werd: The other teams arn't even close to them.

ninjak84
03-05-2004, 02:39 PM
Haha, that's exactly what I was thinking.

I thought for sure this season would see some of the other teams progress, but it looks like the clock went backwards for them instead!
I'm still hoping for an exciting season, but judging by what I've seen so far it looks like another Ferarri sweep.

Rubens for life you bitches!

SickBastard
03-05-2004, 03:39 PM
Just as I thought. Ferrari will dominate again:)

rage2
03-05-2004, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by ninjak84

Er..... :confused: :dunno:
Toyota, along with BAR, were amazing during winter testing. Serves me right for trusting winter testing times :).

Did you guys see the new McLaren? Talk about a skinny nose!

hyperwhite
03-05-2004, 05:42 PM
i was amazed how slow the mclarens were going. can anyone tell me if button blew his engine or just spun it and gave up for the day, i didn't catch that part. otherwise 4th in practice for button, honda's not looking too shaby.

92 Teg-B18A
03-05-2004, 05:58 PM
Ferrari:thumbsdow

You can't tell how well a team is actually going to do in the race from a Friday Free Practice!

Besides, if you watched the live timing of the free practice today (Saturday Free Practice) The positions were changing alot at the top of the grid!

Go Mclaren Go!

ninspeed
03-05-2004, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by 92 Teg-B18A
Ferrari:thumbsdow

You can't tell how well a team is actually going to do in the race from a Friday Free Practice!

Besides, if you watched the live timing of the free practice today (Saturday Free Practice) The positions were changing alot at the top of the grid!

Go Mclaren Go!
Ok... but go look at the finals.... .1 between the two cars.. then 1.x between the rest....

and right now, the brothers are fighting for fastest lap!!! (ok, and montoya)

Team_Mclaren
03-05-2004, 07:19 PM
Mclaren!!! y are they so slow!@!@:( :whipped: :whipped: :whipped:

ninspeed
03-05-2004, 11:11 PM
final q is on speed right now (10pm)

nickyh
03-06-2004, 01:02 AM
Woot...1, 2 Ferrari. Let's see what fuel loads they have. I thought BAR did a good job. Jensens time is identical as Montoya. Pretty impressive.

rage2
03-06-2004, 01:14 AM
Did you guys watch the rev counters? It looks like Speed Channel is using the audio to calculate rpm's. It's fairly accurate, some glitches in the detection when downshifting (showing 19,500 rpm when it's really 9750rpm). Same principal as the new Gtech pro's rpm detector.

Basically, everyone is running under 18,000rpm. A few cars went past that... Mercedes ran mostly at 17,900rpm, a few times in the 18,200's. But still dog slow. Honda ran at 18,700rpm, a few times tapping 18,900rpm :eek:. They were friggin' FAST out there. Too bad Villeneuve's gone this year, it would've been nice to see a Canadian at the top of the field.

Both Ferrari and Willams didn't broadcast with their onboard cameras, so no rpm readings from the 2 teams.

I was under the impression that revs are dropping because of the reliability rules. We'll see what happens in the race tomorrow... who's running high revs and blowing up, who's running high revs and staying in 1 piece.

ninspeed
03-06-2004, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by nickyh
I thought BAR did a good job.
So far.... lets see if they can make it 1/2 way though the race

hyperwhite
03-06-2004, 12:41 PM
:bullshit: F1 qualifying was blacked out on express view! I was getting all geared up for some F1 then i get a slap in the face! what a piece o shit. BTW honda 4th and 7th :D

Team_Mclaren
03-06-2004, 05:11 PM
:bullshit: F1 qualifying was blacked out on express view! I was getting all geared up for some F1 then i get a slap in the face! what a piece o shit. BTW honda 4th and 7th :D

it was on tsn at 10:30... thy only blacked out speed

Nav13
03-06-2004, 06:57 PM
Im rootin for Ferrari, then Honda and finaly Toyota. Say what ever you want about me cheering for Ferrari just like everyone else, but whatever, I love Ferrari and it makes sense for a company focused on producing amazing cars built for the track to win in F1 racing. Im not saying other companies cant build racing cars, thats why Im also cheering for Honda and Toyota. Honda cuss ionno i drive one haha and Toyota cus they are the new guys. Anyways can some one fill me in on why Villeneuve's not racing this year?

rage2
03-06-2004, 10:01 PM
First retirement, Mercedes :(.

Man I haven't seen the Ferraris all race. 1-2 way out in front.

Finally saw the williams BMW revs... 18,800rpm in race trim! Yikes!

hyperwhite
03-06-2004, 10:36 PM
shit, i didn't even realize it was on TSN, i missed the race! :banghead: i feel like such an ass. i was watching the online scoring and even though button only came 6th i was watching him close 9 seconds on montoya in the last 10 laps. he got within 2 seconds in the end. looks good for the rest of the season, as long as they keep scoring points.

GO HONDA! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

962 kid
03-06-2004, 10:40 PM
go renault....

honda blows dead goats,

calgarys13
03-06-2004, 11:02 PM
what with this kimi's car blown engine?????not the way i wanted to see the season start:( :(

A2VR6
03-06-2004, 11:03 PM
Great job by the Renault team, looks like Alonso is continuing the good finishes he had last year.

rage2
03-06-2004, 11:34 PM
Kimi's car blew up from a failed waterpump, overheated, seized.

Fluidic
03-06-2004, 11:39 PM
Great race. Yah it was kinda expected Ferrari would win... great drivers... better engines... but whatever, I was still excited/happy. :)

nickyh
03-06-2004, 11:46 PM
Awesome...Ferrari 1,2

That was expected. I hope they can keep it up for the rest of the season. I feel about about Kimi thou. Oh well thats racing. I'm glad Montoya didn't finish on the podium.(Hehe)

blinkme_210
03-06-2004, 11:57 PM
Haha yeh, Montoya trailed Trulli for 10 laps before finally passing him.

On a side note, the BMW Williams front end design is growing on me. It's different, looks very aggressive. :thumbsup:

rage2
03-07-2004, 12:50 AM
Originally posted by blinkme_210
Haha yeh, Montoya trailed Trulli for 10 laps before finally passing him.

On a side note, the BMW Williams front end design is growing on me. It's different, looks very aggressive. :thumbsup:
haha, man it looks like a duckbilled platypus! I dunno, it's different, but I don't think it's great looking.

The Ferrari looks damn nice, best looking in the field this year IMO.

Moonracer
03-07-2004, 02:02 AM
I fell asleep after the first half hour...:zzz:

RiCE-DaDDy
03-07-2004, 02:08 AM
It sounds weird but Shumacher is ruining the sport haha

Moonracer
03-07-2004, 02:20 AM
Originally posted by RiCE-DaDDy
It sounds weird but Shumacher is ruining the sport haha

That's usually the way it goes in F1

fast95pony
03-07-2004, 09:25 AM
Not much has changed from last year. Let's hope it's hot and rainy in Malaysia. Michelin tires like those conditions...
Montoya looked racy,and Alonso had a great start .Webber looked good too,until his gearbox quit.

rage2
03-07-2004, 12:36 PM
It's funny that every rule change is to encourage closer racing... but every year Ferrari seems to be out on top. Maybe they're just that good? hehe.

The only rule change that worked (sorta) is the new points system. Even though Kimi barely won any races and Schuey won tons last year, he was still in contention for the championship at the last race. Doesn't make each race more exciting, but it sure made the last race a lot more interesting than if it was with the old points system.

ninjak84
03-07-2004, 01:50 PM
Renault surprised the hell out of me, and I think (for what it's worth) Honda did a wicked job for the first race of the season. Like I've said before, this season Honda and Toyota need to either pick it up or pack it up.

Barrichello fucking destroyed!

SickBastard
03-07-2004, 06:56 PM
Renault didnt suprise me cause I knew they were going to be competative after last year. The way it seems to me is that Renault should be classed as one of the top 3, not mclaren.

Is anyone else thinking that Montoya made a huge mistaken choosing Mclaren over Williams.

elimit
03-07-2004, 07:38 PM
is it comming to toronto?

ninspeed
03-07-2004, 08:02 PM
no

RiCE-DaDDy
03-08-2004, 12:50 AM
yea honda!

gettin 3rd place is like 1st now haha

redec
03-08-2004, 11:31 AM
bah....bastard kenny.....posting spoilers on the main page.....you bastard :P

hyperwhite
03-08-2004, 03:46 PM
i don't think williams platapus design is working as well is they hoped, and McLarens needle design just doesn't seem to be working at all.

P.S. now that honda is good i don't feel so bad about critisizing other teams :D

Alpine Autowerks
03-08-2004, 08:06 PM
P.S. now that honda is good i don't feel so bad about critisizing other teams :D

how does honda rate "Good" the best they have ever done is 3rd and that was not with any of there current drivers

Alpine Autowerks
03-08-2004, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by RiCE-DaDDy
yea honda!

gettin 3rd place is like 1st now haha

??????????? Honda got 3 points for 6th

see previous post

henky
03-09-2004, 11:38 AM
... how could it be that two of the three best teams last year went so bad during the winter break?? I donīt mind that ferrari went so much better, so it has to be that Mercedes and BMW went damn bad...
They both didinīt start for first time, they do Formula 1 Racing for years, they hadnīt to invent the formula 1 car new...
I donīt know what went wrong, but i know that this performance hadnīt look well....:drama:
Mercedes and BMW have much to do for the next race :whipped: :whipped: otherwise they only would be laughed at...

rage2
03-09-2004, 11:52 AM
Based on comments from both teams, Mercedes is severely down on power. Williams, their new aerodynamic package (the platypus) needs a lot of tweaking.

Renault is up there because they have a very good aerodynamic package, with good power. They're still behind BMW on power, but they win big time on aerodynamics.

Ferrari has the power, the aerodynamics, and perfect race and pit strategy. Just like last year, they look pretty untouchable, and only lose out when they make mistakes.

hyperwhite
03-09-2004, 01:14 PM

how does honda rate "Good" the best they have ever done is 3rd and that was not with any of there current drivers

they placed better than McLaren

Alpine Autowerks
03-09-2004, 08:58 PM

hard of "hearing" ?

el_fefes
03-10-2004, 01:28 PM
man i was soo pissed to see montoya go off the track like that he had a pretty good chance. I still he should win b4 he goes to mclaren.

962 kid
03-11-2004, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by el_fefes
man i was soo pissed to see montoya go off the track like that he had a pretty good chance. I still he should win b4 he goes to mclaren.

booo to montoya:thumbsdow

hyperwhite
03-11-2004, 01:30 PM

hard of "hearing" ?

hard of memory? u forget all the championships they've won in the past? but i'm talking about this year and this last race. so far through the first race and winter testing honda has done very well.

Alpine Autowerks
03-11-2004, 02:25 PM
1) this is world championship racing whats in the past is past
2) how many points have they earned for winter testing ?

you still have not said how 6th rates good .:confused:

hyperwhite
03-11-2004, 03:46 PM
6th is a good solid points position and they finished better than McLaren. thats pretty good. epecially compared to what they were doing last season. now lets end it here cause i don't wanna do any more of this back and fourth shit!

civic_stylez
03-15-2004, 10:51 PM
i cant believe that mclaren is scrapping their new car half way throught the season for a new one! i guess kimi is really disappointed with the new car. oh well once the teams get the reliability issue out of the way (renault, sauber,mclaren) things will really pick up and those huge ferrari gaps will slim down for sure...dont get me wrong....GO MIKEY!!!!!!!!:clap:

Ducati
03-27-2004, 02:36 AM
I a move that is certain to create unprecedented discord amongst the ruling bodies of not only the FIAA, but racing bodies everywhere, the German factories have taken to genetically modifying their team drivers in order to instill a nationalistic pride and the fierce determination for total victory.
Dissapointed by a generation of disloyal German driving superstars who sold their talent to the highest bidder, at the expense of true national pride, German team owners have required that all drivers be infused with the genetic material from some of the most passionate and formidable individuals who are most likely to give their all to attain German victories.

nismodrifter
04-02-2004, 03:52 PM
so....when is the race on this weekend??? hope its as good as malayasia was...

hjr
04-02-2004, 04:08 PM
Man, Bahrain is gonna be 1 sick race! i love the track. Very very exciting. it seems the race should be starting at 7:00am ET on sunday, so 5AM here i guess.

hjr
04-02-2004, 04:09 PM
5:00 AM Formula One Auto Racing - Grand Prix of Bahrain Pre-race
5:30 AM Formula One Auto Racing: Grand Prix of Bahrain

-From TSN.ca