PDA

View Full Version : Looking to start playing some ice hockey

LUDELVR
03-15-2013, 11:36 AM
To you guys that could have made the NHL, I'm looking to start playing some ice hockey with some co workers and have never really played full geared ice hockey, just some pond hockey so I'm not exactly sure what I'll be needing for gear.

Also, does anyone know where to get some used, good conditioned (and not too smelly) gear?

Cheers fellas!

bspot
03-15-2013, 03:00 PM
Get everything. And if you think you're going to stick with it, get new, decent stuff. All my friends that cheaped out when learning had to replace it all at least once. I'm on my original stuff besides gloves and skates from 6 years ago.

1. Helmet (get a cage, if you're starting now, its the best choice)
2. Shoulder pads (probably the least important thing, if you're going to cheap out, do it here)
3. Elbow pads (if you plan on falling, you want decent ones)
4. Pants (good hip padding if you plan on falling much)
5. Cup (I like the can/short style with the velcro for your socks. Personal preference)
6. Shin pads (good ones won't let you feel a thing when taking a slapper to the shins)
7. Skates (probably have them, if they aren't stiff any more in the boot, get new ones)
8. Gloves (not a horrible spot to cheap out, they all wear out anyway. Go for comfort)
9. Stick
10. Hockey socks
11. Jersey
12. Sock tape
13. Hockey bag

I think that's everything. Have fun!

swak
03-15-2013, 03:15 PM
Dont cheap out on your helmet either.
Standard bucket will do, but for me, the cheap foam kills the temples.

As well, talk to the hockey bro's at the store re getting you your proper stick if you don't know what you're looking at.

And make sure your skate boot fits properly.
I went out on a buds old skates about a month ago, as mine were out of province :nut: ... and while they were pretty tight.... It was like a dog fucking a football on the ice. Felt like crap.

Good job on getting in the sport though man!

r3ccOs
03-16-2013, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by swak
Dont cheap out on your helmet either.
Standard bucket will do, but for me, the cheap foam kills the temples.

As well, talk to the hockey bro's at the store re getting you your proper stick if you don't know what you're looking at.

And make sure your skate boot fits properly.
I went out on a buds old skates about a month ago, as mine were out of province :nut: ... and while they were pretty tight.... It was like a dog fucking a football on the ice. Felt like crap.

Good job on getting in the sport though man!

VN foam is where its at... forget EPP, but just a good fitting helmet is important...
Visor as well... I can't even count how many times it's saved my eyes from an arrant stick or deflected puck

to me, the most important pieces are:

skates
stick
gloves

most of the time I don't bother with shoulder pads, and I use one15 softie elbow pads
I also wear an old pair of lightweight pants, and get away with mid-range shinpads

Arnold123
03-21-2013, 04:57 AM
we should eat fresh and sensible food and vegetables,
which makes us healthier and also doing exercise....

LLLimit
03-21-2013, 10:15 AM
My vapor x20 & x30 pants only had soft foam for tailbone protection.
Moved to an entry level reebok5k pant, and the hard plastic protects the tail pretty well.

max_boost
03-21-2013, 11:06 AM
I have extended an invite to you to join our noob shinny games. Come on out guy haha Nothing brings everyone together like Canada's favorite past time. :D

Davetronz
03-21-2013, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
Nothing brings everyone together like Canada's favorite past time. :D
Drinking beer?