PDA

View Full Version : Car/SUV Suggestions around $30k

g unit
03-15-2013, 07:48 PM
My fiancee and I are looking to buy a car and her dad's friend can supposedly get a pretty sick deal from a car auction down in the states. He's in Toronto so I'm assuming he goes down to Detroit/New York or somewhere relatively close and picks up the vehicles from there.

We're looking to buy either a smaller SUV or a nice sports sedan (preferably AWD) that's hopefully 2011 or newer. We both prefer German but I'm OK with Japanese as well.

Anyone have experience bringing vehicles over from the States? I'm interested to know about warranty transferability, taxes/duty payable, and anything else that might be good to know prior to buying a vehicle from the States.

Thanks!

AE92_TreunoSC
03-15-2013, 07:53 PM
Auction vehicles have huge risks, I've worked on many. You shouldn't get an auction vehicle unless you're prepared to make a loss on a weird unexpected issue.

I would stick to purchasing locally unless you're in the trade or have friends in the trade.

I helped my mom purchase a new 2013 rav4 this week and she's been super happy with it. Brand new you can get them for under 30,000. It's a fresh body style and new engine, worth taking a look at.

ddduke
03-15-2013, 09:13 PM
http://forums.beyond.ca/st/367581/im-officially-an-old-man-now-got-a-new-whip/

zieg
03-15-2013, 09:45 PM
Subaru is clearing out their foresters pretty cheap right now on account of the XV cutting into their marketshare. You can pick up a brand new 2013 fully loaded for around 30. Buddy of mine did a little while ago and he's loving it. Also, it's AWD, as in actual, proper, functional and effective AWD.

DEATH2000
03-16-2013, 08:27 AM
HURRICANE SANDY......

Pretty much any vehicle coming out of the New York area right now is probably a salvage title from the flood so watch out. Salt water absolutley destroys cars. A guy I know in New York had his E46 M3 w/ S/C completley ruined.

never
03-16-2013, 05:28 PM
Picked up a MB GLK350 4Matic for the wife last year. She liked the sharp lines on the GLK and the fact that they're smaller but not too small. Some cheap things in the interior but overall it has been pretty solid. The engine/tranny is pretty smooth and decent power.

Used ones around here can be had in the $30s.

Graham_A_M
03-16-2013, 07:18 PM
Yeah I'd very very highly recommend not going to any auction to buy a vehicle.

When I used to work at a dealership, all the very problematic cars & trucks that the dealer couldn't sell, due to any potential repercussions for selling a shit vehicle; would go to the auction. Same with ones that had such serious issues that there was no way the dealer could fix them, AND actually make money when selling them after.

Its very risky buying them from the auctions. Locally, all our old shit cars & trucks would go to Regal.
Dont get me wrong, there are some decent cars & trucks that go through there, but for the most part, people or companies are willing to take a huge hit and sell them at the auction, for a very good reason, mainly that selling them conventionally would be next to impossible due to whatever problems or history the vehicle has.

Originally posted by ddduke
http://forums.beyond.ca/st/367581/im-officially-an-old-man-now-got-a-new-whip/
^ Thanks man, but I bought the last one. They had two Demo's, only one sold before I got there and I got the remaining one. All the others they'll have are the 2013's with the $46k price tag.
:(
EDIT, check out page 2, someone posted a car almost identical to mine for the same price, out in surrey.

Rat Fink
03-16-2013, 07:48 PM