PDA

View Full Version : Thunderbird e-mail Q's

speedog
03-16-2013, 09:40 AM
So I got a couple of questions regarding Mozilla's Thunderbird e-mail program and thought there might be a Beyond member or two out there that would have some good answers. Anyhow...[list=1]
We use Thunderbird as or e-mail program of choice at home to actively monitor e-mail on five different accounts (2 personal and three business) - the problem is that we do this on one computer in the house and it's becoming more of a pain in the rear to wait one's turn.

So what I've been thinking about doing is tossing the Thunderbird profile onto a Dropbox file location or onto a stand-alone hard drive that is accessible by every computer in the house. Adding another hardware device is quite do-able in our home as everything is hard-wired through a 24 port switch but I am thinking that Dropbox might be the preferred route because the profile would be saved in a number of places - the only drawback is whether or not Dropbox's syncing of this file will create problems. Thoughts, ideas?

At our business, we use Outlook Express and mostly because we can embed the MS Excel purchase orders that our POS/inventory system generates so easily into a new Outlook e-mail. Question is - is there a way to easily embed a generated MS Excel file into a Thunderbird e-mail? I have tried but anything that I've found turns out to be quite difficult to put into place and because we have staff that do this work in my absence a few days of the week, it has to be a relatively seamless and painless process with a relatively painless learning curve. I only ask this because the day is coming when we will be upgrading our POS software and the associated hardware and that will most likely mean changes elsewhere including e-mail programs. Again, suggestions/ideas?
[/list=1]

revelations
03-16-2013, 10:26 AM
#1 youre limited by the email providers method.

If youre not using IMAP then youre more or less limiting yourself to one account on one PC as any other accounts will not sync properly. I have 3-4 devices that sync ALL my email - so if I delete an email from my phone, it will be gone from the laptop, tablet and office PC.

Syncing directly however would be a bit of a hack - but it might work.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Synchronizing_mail_on_two_computers_%28Thunderbird%29

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/3-ways-to-sync-thunderbird-emails-across-multiple-computers/

#2 youre limited by the POS provider. If its as simple as changing your "default email" application then in theory it should be fine - as long as its a basic email attachment it should work fine.

Most POS systems work best with Outlook I've found as its beed tested by the developers. Thunderbird is good, but is a small enough of a market that it hasnt been embraced by developers of other 3rd party software.

speedog
03-16-2013, 10:49 AM
After doing some reading, it would appear that IMAP is most likely the easiest and least painful solution to number 1 - thx revelations for the suggestion.

Number 2 - I'll just have to stick with what we got even though I personally like Thunderbird more as an e-mail client.

revelations
03-16-2013, 12:41 PM
I use tbird exclusively - I even have it on my USB stick as a portable App.