PDA

View Full Version : Paris and London

interlude
03-18-2013, 12:11 PM
Hey Beyond,

So my Thailand trip was cancelled because the wife got sick, and we didnt have the time to plan/book it. We ended up using my aeroplan points (since they expire) and booked a trip to Paris and London. March 30th to April 9th.

Looking for some recommendations on where to go other than the usual tourist attractions.

Also, would it be better to convert 100-200 Euro here and then use my HSBC debit card to pull out cash while I am there? Or would it be better to convert it all here?

Thanks all

Myrrinda
03-18-2013, 01:14 PM
I personally only travel with 500 Euros when I go to Europe, and then pull out cash as I need it. Especially with the pickpockets in Paris, you don't want to carry all of your cash on you at once. I also spread it around so that if I get pickpocketed, I don't get all of my money taken, haha.

If you're in Paris for Easter Sunday, try to hit up Notre Dame or Sacre Coeur for a free mass. Even if you're not religious (which I'm not), there's still something kind of surreal about it because mass there is really routed in tradition compared to anything we have here. I spent Easter Sunday 1999 in Sacre Coeur by accident, and I remember watching the nuns in full habit walk from the convent to the church, and it suddenly occurred to me that I had never seen a nun wearing a habit before.

benyl
03-18-2013, 01:18 PM
Don't bother with the Eiffel tower. Go up the arc de triumph instead. Same view. Cheaper, less crowded and you don't have to deal with French people.

adamc
03-18-2013, 01:20 PM
The Eiffel tower was a must for me. Loved everything about it.

Saying the views are the same means you really have no idea what you're talking about. On a nice day the views from the top of the tower are breathtaking 360 deg.

benyl
03-18-2013, 01:34 PM
I did both. Went to the top of the Tower. It is crowded and the line to get down is long. Mind you, I didn't like much of Paris at all. The Louvre was pretty awesome, but 1 day there wasn't enough.

The skyline from the ADT includes the ET.

If you go to Versailles, make sure you go on a day when the fountains are running. It is a little boring otherwise.

littledan
03-18-2013, 02:12 PM
Paris Pro Tips:

If you want to see a great view with no lines or cost... head to Printemps. Its a mens department store that is 6 stories tall of all super high end mens wear. each line will have their own boutique. at the very top of the store is a cafe where you can grab some lunch and see some amazing views of the Eiffel tower etc. the lunch is not that good though so maybe just grab a coffee and chill.

Don't get the hop on hop off bus pass. we did that and one day we asked when the service stops running. was told 8pm. fast forward to aruond 4:45 and the bus randomly pulls over and the bus driver goes "everybody out bus is closed" ahah. ended up grabbing a cab back to our hotel.

For hotel, I highly recommend staying at a north american branded hotel. i stayed at the Meridian montparnasse which is a european brand 5 star hotel that ran me around $300/night. was the most dirtiest disgusting hotel of all time. I'm talking filth in the room like you wouldnt believe. yuck. i'd rather stay at best western srs

If you want a great meal, check out Monsiur lapin... its in montparnasse...

On sundays everything literally shuts down. there are very few cafes open and most bakeries etc close very early in the day if they are open at all. so on a sunday maybe plan as a walking around sightseeing day but bring your own supplies etc.

Enjoy your trip!

interlude
03-18-2013, 02:13 PM
Thanks guys!

In regards to pick pocketing, have you guys been pick pocketed in Paris? I'm usually careful when travelling, I was extra careful when I was travelling in Asia and in Egypt.

Myrrinda
03-18-2013, 02:46 PM
I personally was never pickpocketed, but one guy I was with was pickpocketed 3 times in the 4 days we were in Paris, and a girl in our hotel was robbed just outside the front door. I also watched pickpockets steal cameras right off people's necks in Montmartre. There are signs everywhere warning you to beware of pickpockets. The Metro, Montmartre and Notre Dame seem especially bad, but basically any touristy area that's free will have issues.

I've never had any issues in the UK. I lived in the UK for nearly a year and walked around with my money, credit card, etc in my coat pocket. I think the key is to try not to look like a tourist. Also, try not to look like you have anything worth stealing. Keep your passport locked in your hotel room safe, and make sure to have copies just in case it gets stolen and you need to go to the embassy to have another made up. I usually have a photocopy with me, and a photocopy with my parents, in case my copy also goes missing and someone needs to send me one.

Don't bother with a money belt. You'll likely ditch it after the first day because it's such a gigantic pain in the ass, and Parisians are not known for their patience while you try to fiddle with it to pull your money out.

Waldi
03-18-2013, 02:53 PM
For hotels I would recommend Novatel Montparnasse, close to metro etc., also depending how long you will stay get yourself Navigo card for metro and buy multiple days (i.e. 4 -7 dys) great saving as you will use metro all the time (convenience).O yeah, try for sure parisian macaroons!

KrisYYC
03-18-2013, 02:59 PM
Pickpockets no worse in Paris than anywhere else. I'd say even less. Just keep your wits about in the metro stations and don't give gypsies the time of day.

Also, you'll need British Pounds while in London and Euros in Paris.

If you're into art and/or history give yourself lots of time for the Louvre. Don't be discouraged if there's a huge line to get in as it usually moves pretty quickly.

Eiffel Tower was a must for me the first time I went. I've been twice and the first time was great. The lines weren't ridiculous. The second time I was with somebody who had never been to France so Eiffel was a must for them. The lines were horrendous and full of bratty UK teenagers. Did not enjoy it at all. It's way more impressive in person than in pictures though.

I'm not sure how long you're staying in london and if you plan on getting a rail pass to use the Underground unlimited. But if you are then I'd reccomend taking advantage of the "2 for 1 London" deal. Basically you print off vouchers for the attractions you want to see. Then be sure to pick up your rail pass at one of the BritRail stations. Present the voucher and show your rail pass at the attraction and get two adult tickets for the price of one. Saved me and a buddy a lot coin when we were there because those attractions aren't cheap especially converting to CAD.

http://www.daysoutguide.co.uk/2for1-london

Sorry for the shitty rambling post. Typing it on my tablet.

interlude
03-18-2013, 05:09 PM
Thanks for the suggestions all. As for accommodations, I believe we are staying at a Best Western in Paris, the Kensington Hotel in London. We already booked our tickets for the train to get from Paris to London (round trip). On our way home, we are actually booked at the Novotel Convention center for 1 night.

The shitty thing is that I will have my new camera (Nikon 1 J3 in white.. Now I wished I bought black, because its screaming to get stolen) With all the stories of people getting robbed, I will definitely leave my expensive watch at home and bring my g-shock.

Have you seen anybody fight back/defend themselves when getting pick pocketed?

I'm starting think the street vendors in Cairo are more pleasant than gypsies.:guns:

KrisYYC
03-18-2013, 07:25 PM
London and Paris are nowhere near as bad Cairo. Not even close. Not once have I ever seen somebody robbed. Worst I've seen in Europe were the gypsies in Spain begging with a newborn or having their kids pretend they're deaf and trying to get tourists to sign some sheet on a clipboard and make a "donation"

adamc
03-18-2013, 08:25 PM
Barcelona is probably the worst I've seen, definitely witnessed a few purse snatchings in Raval.

Paris isn't anywhere near that bad, protect your stuff like you would in any big city.
Bag in front when you can, wallet in front pocket (I don't carry a wallet, just cards and a few small bills).

Leave your expensive jewelry at home. Common sense stuff.

msommers
03-18-2013, 08:56 PM
Barcelona and Naples are the most notorious places to be pick pocketed. But you have to be smart about your stuff regardless.

Back to the topic at hand, I went to the top of both the Arc and the Tower. Just make the trip, they're different in their own right and worth it. Coming back to Paris...no but you gotta do it once. The lines everywhere for big stops are long in Paris and London, they're incredibly popular so its expected. I'm the traveller that just enjoys walking around and through different communities.

The Louvre is a full day event so go early. Its an amazing place but huge. The subway in Paris smells terrible, just be prepared.

Take a casual walk through Hyde Park, it won't take long. A lot of museums are free but encourage donations. The Natural History Museum is a must but also quite big and busy. Wanted to do The Abby but the line was just insane. Hit a neighourhood pub in London. It's the one place you won't risk someone not knowing English and prices are lower.

These two places are huge, there is so much to do and see. I rushed these places, I really want to go back.

e36bmw///
03-18-2013, 09:59 PM
nm

98type_r
03-18-2013, 11:48 PM
We did a week in Paris and a week in London last summer. Paris isn't really isn't that bad if you're vigilant in terms of pickpockets, i had zero issues walking around with a white Nikon 1 in a fairly obvious camera bag.

Tip for going to the Louvre, take the subway there and enter the museum from the station. It saves a lot of time not having to dealing with the lineup through the main entrance at street level. All restaurants are completely empty at 6:00, nobody eats dinner until 8 or 9:00pm there, we didn't figure that out until halfway through our trip.

davidI
03-19-2013, 12:18 AM
Tips for avoiding the Eiffel Tower lines - take the stairs!! Someone mentioned this to me before I went and it was the best thing ever. It's kind of cool climbing up through the structure too.

Make sure the Louvre is open when you plan to go. I went on a Tuesday and it was closed. I was devastated as it was what I was most looking forward to and I couldn't make it any other days. It's definitely worth planning in advance.

interlude
03-19-2013, 08:11 AM
Thanks all, your tips and suggestions are greatly appreciated! I'm looking forward to this trip as I have always wanted to travel to Europe

benyl
03-19-2013, 08:54 AM
If you want an interesting take on Dim Sum, check out Hakkasan in London.

Here are also some other suggestion I got when I went there. The phone numbers might need updating. We hit up quite a few of them.

Also the food at Harrod's is really good. But it is incredibly expensive.

Gordon Ramsay
68 Royal Hospital Road
LONDON
SW3 4HP
T: 020 7352 4441
weekday lunch 45pounds for 3 course meal...Michelin***

Ran Restaurant
58-59 Great Marlborough Street
London, W1F 7JY
020 7434 1650
If you want to try Korean restaurant

Wild Honey
12 St. George Street
London, W1S, United Kingdom
020 7758 9160
Michelin* restaurant..20 pound set lunch menu
excellent dessert....wild honey ice cream was to die for.

Tamarind Restaurant
20-22 Queen St
London, W1J 5PR, United Kingdom

020 7629 3561

Indian restaurant ...Michelin*pricey

The Lanesborough, a St. Regis Hotel.
1 Lanesborough Pl, The Lanesborough,
London SW1 X7TA
(0)20 7259 5599
place for the best high tea
starts at 4pm
35pounds for person
If you go there, skip dinner...
clotted cream is so good.

Hakkasan
8 Hanway Place,
London, W1T 1HD
020 7907 1888
best dim sum I ever had....only Michelin*,but consistently on the world's top 50 restaurants list..can be pricey

The Ivy
1-5 West St
London, WC2H 9NQ, United Kingdom
020 7836 4751
trendy British restaurant ..if you want fish and chips
to see and to be seen kind of restaurant

interlude
03-19-2013, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by benyl
If you want an interesting take on Dim Sum, check out Hakkasan in London.

Here are also some other suggestion I got when I went there. The phone numbers might need updating. We hit up quite a few of them.

Also the food at Harrod's is really good. But it is incredibly expensive.

Sweet thanks.

I was just put in charge of food. So now I will need some dining recommendations. I heard the falafels in La Marais is a must, and my wife heard that east indian food in London is something we need to check out as well.

cdnsir
03-19-2013, 10:03 AM
Wow you guys are awesome, tons of useful info here! I'm planning a trip to Paris as well, anymore tips for a first timer?

tirebob
03-19-2013, 10:14 AM
The wife and I loved Paris! We would move there in a heartbeat if I could swing it. I has zero issues with any shady shit and we walked around all hours of the day and night, but that said if you flaunt cash anywhere you are setting yourself up as a target.

We stayed in the 5th district just around the corner from the Pantheon and couldn't have been happier. The hotel we stayed in was called Le Petit Paris and it was great! Not huge or anything, but extremely clean and cool and the people were awesome. It is totally central to a ton of stuff as well. We walked to everything notable from there. We did all the typical tourist things to see as well as out of the way stuff. After spending three days doing the must see things, we spent the rest of the time just wandering in and out of all the alleys and side streets finding more local things rather than tourist things. Not a single regret!

The Louvre is cool, but I found it overly crowded compared to other museums, but it definitely is a must see. I liked the Musee d'orsay much better. Their van Gogh collection was awesome! They had a couple Picasso's on display as well as a ton of other extremely cool pieces. If you like weird stuff, you have to check out the Catacombs. I loved the Eiffel tower and can't understand why anyone would say not to see it. As for the people, I found them to be extremely easy and polite to deal with. I think most people who have issues with them just don't care enough to try and understand and learn what they are about, and that is fine for them, but just put forth even the slightlest bit of effort into fitting in with them and it will pay dividends!

One bit of advice if you plan on hitting the tourist destinations, get yourself what is called a Paris Pass if only for the fact it lets you line jump a ton of the major attractions. 2.5/3.0 hour line up at the Louvre and just walked up to the front and walked right in a VIP entrance. Same thing for a ton of other stuff. I was extremely happy we did that and made it a whole lot easier. Another thing we did that was fun was we booked one of the more premium dinner cruises on the Seine. Great view and met a bunch of people and had a blast drinking wine cruising the River.

It is always going to come down to what you want out of the trip. If you want to get the most out of it, try and blend in and become one with the people and the city. If you expect Canada in Europe it is not that!

We are going back this summer... Can't wait!

If anyone going wants to see pics and BS a bit about our experiences, stop by the shop! I can't talk enough good about that trip...

98type_r
03-19-2013, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by interlude

Sweet thanks.

I was just put in charge of food. So now I will need some dining recommendations. I heard the falafels in La Marais is a must, and my wife heard that east indian food in London is something we need to check out as well.

L'As du Fallafel is probably the the place you want to go, always a lineup to get a table but they move pretty fast. They also have an exterior takeout window.

Bladeh
03-19-2013, 11:02 AM
Not sure how long you are staying in Paris, we got a book of 10 tickets for the Metro from the customer service at the Euro Star lounge in London, the lines for tickets at the Gare du Nord were pretty long but seemed to move quick though. You can use one ticket no matter how many lines you take until you exit the Metro, couple of times got stopped to show my ticket.

What I found ruined my trip to Paris was the constant scams, they would drop a gold ring and try to get you to buy it, Just keep walking! Lots of Romain gypsies try to get you to sign some clipboard and scam you out of a few Euros, They would ask if you speak English I would say Nein! Lots of African immigrants in packs of 6-8 trying to flog you knock off Eiffel Towers ( these weren't too bad, should see them run when a cop shows up)

Don't order a coffee from McDonald's! :nut:

benyl
03-19-2013, 11:22 AM
You can buy a book of 10 tickets at the ticket machine in the entrance of the metro.

Myrrinda
03-19-2013, 12:01 PM
When I finally get a chance to go back, I'd really like to check out Giverny. Has anyone here done a trip there? If so, how did you get there? I see there are a lot of day tours from Paris, but I'm pretty anti tour guide, although sometimes it's nice to have someone providing you with info. I guess what I'm wondering is if it's worth it to take a guided tour, or if you'd get just as much out of it if you took the train and did it yourself?

Things I did enjoy while I was in Paris:
Montmartre has amazing views of the city, and it's beautiful at sunset
Versailles is pretty cool if you enjoyed learning about the French Revolution
Crepes
The Champs Elysee is pretty at night as well with all the lights
Cheese
Wine
Notre Dame cathedral, since it was the first one I'd ever seen
Galaries Lafayette

Things I didn't get to do that I want to do when I go back:
The Louvre
Musee D'Orsay
Actually go up the Eiffel Tower
Giverny
Moulin Rouge
Seine River cruise

vtec4life
03-19-2013, 12:38 PM
I would spend more time in London then Paris, I really do not ever need to go back to that city. See the Eiffel tower, the Palace of Versailles, eat some french bread and GTFO.

Make sure to rep the canadian flag as well.. they hate Americans.

London on the other hand while expensive is a place you could spend a month and have fun every day. Tons of awesome cars too. Make sure to hit Oxford Street and the very first Hard Rock Cafe!

GS430
03-19-2013, 12:49 PM
In Paris, I HIGHLY suggest checking out the Pompidou modern art museum.

If you're into that of course.

interlude
03-20-2013, 08:01 AM
Thanks all! I have taken notes on everything that was suggested! :thumbsup:

Seems like alot of you did not enjoy Paris that much. Other than Bob (i'll call you in a bit to get info)

benyl
03-20-2013, 09:33 AM
If you are going to hit the Louvre, Versailles, ADT, and something else, as mentioned get the Paris Museum Pass:

http://en.parismuseumpass.com/

This is different from the Paris Pass and it way cheaper for 6 days.

You can buy it at the first attraction you go to, but you have to stand in line for it. It might be better to order it in advance or find a retailer when you get there. We bought it at Versailles.

deee_wreck
03-25-2013, 09:32 PM
any options or suggestions for small towns outside of Paris? Day trip or 1 nighter?

Myrrinda
03-26-2013, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by deee_wreck
any options or suggestions for small towns outside of Paris? Day trip or 1 nighter?

I liked Chartres and the Loire Valley in general. Chartres would probably be a day trip. I loved the town of Chenonceaux where the chateau de Chenonceau is located. It's pretty tiny, but worth a day trip as well.

GingeRRRBeef
03-28-2013, 08:28 PM
Hey Tirebob,

How did you guys travel around? Train or fly?

interlude
03-29-2013, 02:01 AM
Leaving on sat! I'll update the thread once i'm there.

tirebob
03-29-2013, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by deee_wreck

Depends on what you like to do. There is a very cool little old town called St-Emilion that was amazing! Wine tours are great if you like that sort of thing. Lots of wicked old castles to explore as well! We never made it up to Normandy last time and that is something I really want to do. Honestly, you can go in any direction and find some pretty awesome stuff!

Originally posted by Silver_SpecV
Hey Tirebob,

How did you guys travel around? Train or fly?

We flew to Paris and spent a few days wandering around seeing all the tourist stuff and out of the way things. My buddy lives in Toulouse and drove up to Paris and picked us up.
We spent the next few days driving around checking out castles, old villages and a bunch of the sites criss-crossing our way down south to Toulouse.
After that we spent a few days chilling out on an old French farm in the Aveyron region owned by my buddies fiancee's family. That was actually one of my favourite things! Hanging out with the genuine country folk drinking wine, eating large and really getting submerged in their culture was amazing!
From there we spent another few days touring all around Margaux and the Bordeaux wine regions staying in weird little out of the way old french hotels pretty much just eating and pissing it up.
We did a couple more days in Toulouse which is a pretty cool city. Not quite like Paris but when you are with locals you find all the best stuff to do.
After that we flew back to Paris and spent one more night there before returning home...

This summer when we go back, it will be the same sort of idea where we start in Paris for 5 days but this time I have rented my own car and we will be pretty much just touring around with a stop for a few days on that family farm for my buddies wedding. Should be a great time again!

tirebob
03-29-2013, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by Myrrinda

I liked Chartres and the Loire Valley in general. Chartres would probably be a day trip. I loved the town of Chenonceaux where the chateau de Chenonceau is located. It's pretty tiny, but worth a day trip as well.

Couldn't agree more! We spent the night here in this bizzare old hotel with taxidermy all over the walls and weird sitting rooms. The owners kept bringing us wine wherever we were until the wee hours of the morning. The castle over the river isn't huge but it is really awesome!

http://sphotos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/405229_10152031273165693_683147988_n.jpg

http://sphotos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/552078_10152031273045693_73221806_n.jpg

GingeRRRBeef
03-29-2013, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by interlude
Leaving on sat! I'll update the thread once i'm there.

Nice! We just booked our flights to London last night for 3 weeks starting at the end of July. Keep us updated!

cdnsir
04-02-2013, 08:39 PM
That castle looks amazing!! Would love to do all the local stuff, but I don't speak a word of French and don't have any friends there.. Ended up planning this out so far, bought all the train tickets online already so the dates are pretty firm, but what to do while in the city is still wide open.

Day 1 (SE France)
Arrive in Avignon, pick up a car drive up to the wineyards at Chateauneuf du Pape. Come back down and check out the historical sites at Arles, Le Baux, then spend the night at St Remy.

Day 2 (SE France-Lyon)
Road trip to check out hilltop villages and farms on the Lavender Route to the west of Avignon. Hopefully some of the fields will be in partial bloom.. Drive back to Avignon and train to Lyon.

Day 3 (Lyon)
No idea what to do yet.. Heard they have great food tho!

Day 4 (Versailles)
Train up to Versailles, check out the Palace and whatever museums are there. (I bought a 2 day pass, thanks for the tip Bob!) Sleeping here for the night, hotels are somewhat cheaper here than Paris.

Day 5-8 (Paris)
Spending the first day museum hopping. Then it's an unorganized mess of seeing the Eiffel tower, night cruise on the river, and the wife slaughtering my wallet at all the shops. :(

Myrrinda
04-03-2013, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by cdnsir
I don't speak a word of French and don't have any friends there..

Don't worry, the Parisians pretty much all speak English. They just pretend they don't. My way of getting by was to butcher their language enough to frustrate them into speaking English.

Xtrema
04-03-2013, 05:55 PM
Did a segway tour. ~3-4hrs and you get to see most of the sites.

As for security, I didn't find it that bad. There are a lot of pan-handlers in tourist rich areas (London and Paris). I ignore them but always on higher alert when someone approach from front to distract.

Also, know you Euros, lots of vendors love to screw you out of change.

Check out Moulin Rouge but don't go into any of those shops. All traps.

got_mike33
05-06-2013, 04:08 PM
Hey Interlude,

How was the trip? Any suggestions on things to do? Or tips and tricks for Paris or London? I am about to do this same trip leaving on Friday!

TrevorK
05-08-2013, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by got_mike33
Hey Interlude,

How was the trip? Any suggestions on things to do? Or tips and tricks for Paris or London? I am about to do this same trip leaving on Friday!
One thing I didn't see mentioned in the thread was the catacombs in Paris (skipping the line is highly recommended by booking a tour). Judging by the giant line we passed walking in it is very popular and they limit how many people can go down at a time.

As well touring the towers of notre dame and the treasury is pretty cool. Keep in mind you cannot tour the treasury during mass (I believe the cut off the back section of the church to visitors). We don't have anything like the treasury in canada so it was interesting but if you have been to others in Europe might not be as cool.

I believe "fat tire bike tours" offers the tours, or at least resells the catacombs tours. They also offer, as the name suggests, a place to rent bikes and segways (I think) to do tours.

Perhaps it was the time of year (aug/sept) but we never had any problems with pickpockets and only got approached by a couple of the clipboard holding people. And tourists definitely stand out in Paris - I don't think North American women could ever wear heels on those streets all day :)