PDA

View Full Version : Anyone with an Rx8 be able to tell me how much stuff you can fit in trunk?

nzwasp
03-19-2013, 10:54 AM
So I am going home to NZ. And my mum has graciously given up her 2009 Rx8 for me to drive, however its me and my wife and my 3 month old. Im sure the car seat will fit in the back fine but Im concerned that our one large suitcase + stroller +carryon luggage probably will not fit in the trunk. Does anyone have experience with this?

Also does anyone know if the following would fit in the trunk of a VW golf 2013 hatchback:
2 large suitcases
2 carryon bags (day pack size)
1 stroller

Oh and how much space does the spare tire take up in the rx8?

benyl
03-19-2013, 11:16 AM
One thing I learned about travelling with a kid.

Travel as light as possible.

Take enough clothes for a couple of days and find a laundromat. Buy clothes there if you have to.

Buy diapers at your destination, even if they are more expensive.

Bring 1-3 toys, no more. Buy something new at your destination to help you kid remember the place (probably doesn't apply with a 3 month old).

SpecR-Motorsports
03-19-2013, 11:22 AM
The opening for the trunk is very small. So your suitcase will most likely not fit. While the back doors are nice for the car seat, you might not be able to fit all that stuff through the small opening.

G
03-19-2013, 11:29 AM
As you can see it isn't very big. Good luck getting a bigger piece of luggage in there and a stroller.

Buy a cheap stroller at your destination then leave it behind (donate).

http://www.rotaryengineillustrated.com/images/stories/wallpapers/RX-8/Mazda-RX-8_2003_800x600_wallpaper_91.jpg

BananaFob
03-19-2013, 12:05 PM
The trunk opening is fine. I'm able to fit my entire hockey bag in there. Really depends on the size/shape of that suitcase though. Probably 0 chance of both the luggage and stroller fitting in though.

Also, there is no spare tire in the RX-8, just a tire inflation kit.

blitz
03-19-2013, 12:50 PM
I'd be worried about the car seat fitting in too, it's going to be really tight being rear facing.

nzwasp
03-19-2013, 01:52 PM
hmm yeah i'll check into that. must be other reports of people using a car seat in an rx8.

cloud7
03-19-2013, 02:04 PM
When I had the RX8 I was able to fit a rear facing child seat in there without touching the back of the front seat.

nzwasp
03-19-2013, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by benyl
One thing I learned about travelling with a kid.

Travel as light as possible.

Take enough clothes for a couple of days and find a laundromat. Buy clothes there if you have to.

Buy diapers at your destination, even if they are more expensive.

Bring 1-3 toys, no more. Buy something new at your destination to help you kid remember the place (probably doesn't apply with a 3 month old).

The airline is forcing us to travel light - only allowed one piece of luggage each - baby isnt allowed any luggage. We just got a umbrella stroller on special here that we can take with us.

Everything in NZ costs a shit load of $$$ and my wife refuses to buy anything there unless she has to.

Xtrema
03-19-2013, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by nzwasp

The airline is forcing us to travel light - only allowed one piece of luggage each - baby isnt allowed any luggage. We just got a umbrella stroller on special here that we can take with us.

Everything in NZ costs a shit load of $$$ and my wife refuses to buy anything there unless she has to.

http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Mazda/RX-8/CALGARY/Alberta/5_16151445_CT200422610947706/?ursrc=hl&showcpo=ShowCPO

There are 17 RX-8 listed in town. Go to one of the dealers and pretend you are interested and test fit the car seat and check it out yourself.

Don't bring your wife, because she's your escape clause on call backs.

:rofl:

TT-fast
03-19-2013, 05:23 PM
Don't mean to Sound like a dick but instead of asking on a forum you could just open the trunk... Just a thought...

Xtrema
03-19-2013, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by TT-fast
Don't mean to Sound like a dick but instead of asking on a forum you could just open the trunk... Just a thought...

What trunk? The car is 8000 miles away.

Team_Mclaren
03-19-2013, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by BananaFob
The trunk opening is fine. I'm able to fit my entire hockey bag in there. Really depends on the size/shape of that suitcase though. Probably 0 chance of both the luggage and stroller fitting in though.

Also, there is no spare tire in the RX-8, just a tire inflation kit.

Spare is an option, it is available on some RX-8s

The opening is small, you didnt even put your hockey bag in the trunk so whatever. Most luggages wont fit through it.

EK69
03-19-2013, 09:58 PM
ur mum owns an rx8 = win
:love:
:hijack:
:rofl:

TT-fast
03-19-2013, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema

What trunk? The car is 8000 miles away.

completely missed that, lol. i though NZ was some state and he was driving the rx8 there. my bad

nzwasp
03-20-2013, 09:40 AM
As much fun as you imagine driving an RX8 in nz would be (windy roads / mountain passes) they have a retarded speeding infringement policy there. My friends have been caught doing 102kph (speed limit 100kph) and then getting a speeding ticket for $160.

I think i'll try and use my brothers car a 98 nissan primera.

Xtrema
03-20-2013, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by nzwasp
As much fun as you imagine driving an RX8 in nz would be (windy roads / mountain passes) they have a retarded speeding infringement policy there. My friends have been caught doing 102kph (speed limit 100kph) and then getting a speeding ticket for $160.

I think i'll try and use my brothers car a 98 nissan primera.

yeah, the rotary drinks a lot of gas too and pretty much torqueless.