PDA

View Full Version : SAIT Business Diploma vs Leth mngt degree

muffzz
03-20-2013, 12:39 AM
Hey peeps just had a quick question. I graduated from SAIT last year with a diploma in business administration in finance and now I'm currently taking evening classes at the lethbridge campus here in calgary working towards my bachelor of management degree in finance i guess.

Just wanted some feedback as to how hard it will be to get a good job with that degree. I know it's just a management degree and all the courses are management based. I did some temp work last summer and at the beginning of this year and they said they hired me because I went to SAIT and they didn't even know Leth had a campus downtown calgary.

So how useful is this degree? I have a year left hopefully but I was thinking of maybe just focusing on working and getting some more experience in the Finance or even accounting industry. I feel this management degree is a big waste of time and this was my only post diploma option as u of c makes you do an extra year.

Any thoughts on the diploma vs degree? (i know the word degree has more value but i think the sait diploma is more recognized).

Vmack
03-20-2013, 08:14 AM
well if you're going to be doing accounting, I'd say lethbridge since you can't get a designation with a diploma

GS430
03-20-2013, 08:29 AM
What made you think that it's a waste of time?

On paper (resume's etc.) a degree will look exponentially better, and you've already got the wheels turning. Might as well finish it. Just my 0.02$

KappaSigma
03-20-2013, 11:08 AM
Its all what you do with it. Honestly I wouldnt stop with a diploma/degree. Get a designation after the fact a well.

max_boost
03-20-2013, 11:39 AM
Continuous improvement my friend. Get the degree, get a job, acquire experience, acquire knowledge, acquire currency, acquire bitches, keep moving forward.

Vmack
03-20-2013, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by max_boost
Continuous improvement my friend. Get the degree, get a job, acquire experience, acquire knowledge, acquire currency, acquire bitches, keep moving forward.
this is sigworthy

Stephen81
03-20-2013, 11:45 AM
1) Nobody knows UofL has a Calgary campus. Moving in with Bow Valley College won't help this. Your B.Mgmt degree from UofL makes no reference to which campus you attended so it's a moot point.

2) UofL was NOT your only option post-SAIT. I know because, like you, I also obtained my diploma in Finance there. UofL is a smart choice because they credit your 2 years. Several other institutions do as well including, I believe, UBC.

3) GENERALLY speaking a B.Comm, B.Mgmt or BBA are all just considered a 'business degree' but there are some variations in courses and how they are perceived by different industries.

4) Get into the Co-op program. If you don't cock it up you can probably land a job post-grad.

5) If you think the 'value' of a degree is in the word itself, I've got some bittersweet news for you. Yes the degree will open up some more doors and allow you to pursue a designation (which is starting to become the new minimum requirement)

idriveabox
03-20-2013, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by stephen_haxton
1) Nobody knows UofL has a Calgary campus. Moving in with Bow Valley College won't help this. Your B.Mgmt degree from UofL makes no reference to which campus you attended so it's a moot point.

2) UofL was NOT your only option post-SAIT. I know because, like you, I also obtained my diploma in Finance there. UofL is a smart choice because they credit your 2 years. Several other institutions do as well including, I believe, UBC.

3) GENERALLY speaking a B.Comm, B.Mgmt or BBA are all just considered a 'business degree' but there are some variations in courses and how they are perceived by different industries.

4) Get into the Co-op program. If you don't cock it up you can probably land a job post-grad.

5) If you think the 'value' of a degree is in the word itself, I've got some bittersweet news for you. Yes the degree will open up some more doors and allow you to pursue a designation (which is starting to become the new minimum requirement)

Spot on. I have the same degree in General Management. It's basically a prerequisite to land anything in business. It's all in the co-op/work experience/professional designations after that. If you like accounting take the CMA pre req courses.

max_boost
03-20-2013, 01:36 PM
Is there an expiry date for the SAIT diploma via credit 2 years towards a 4 year degree? I have contemplated going back many times. I could very well be one of those 40 year old dudes going back to school.

GS430
03-20-2013, 01:58 PM
Is there an expiry date for the SAIT diploma via credit 2 years towards a 4 year degree? I have contemplated going back many times. I could very well be one of those 40 year old dudes going back to school.

Yeah but you have to party with your 20 year old classmates.

KEG STAND FOR THE OLD GUY! :D

skandalouz_08
03-20-2013, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by stephen_haxton

I know it's already been quoted but it's been said very well that I thought I'd quote it again. I did the exact same route as you except I took a year off between sait and ULeth to start working. When I started working I realized I was capped on how high I could rise in the chain of command due to not having a degree so I went back and finished.

Having a degree is definitely worthwhile, don't give up now and finish it. Do your research and get a summer job working in a field you like/intern so that you have options when you graduate. It's all about leaving doors open for yourself.

max_boost
03-20-2013, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by GS430

Yeah but you have to party with your 20 year old classmates.

KEG STAND FOR THE OLD GUY! :D No problem. I'm going old school on this one! hahaha

Thomas Gabriel
03-20-2013, 02:49 PM
I can't imagine a SAIT diploma would get you any job other than a receptionist position. Switch to accounting. Unless you have a huge drive for finance, which it sounds like you don't, you won't get a job. An accounting degree with a good GPA is a guaranteed job. And U of L does have a good coop program.

GS430
03-20-2013, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by Thomas Gabriel
I can't imagine a SAIT diploma would get you any job other than a receptionist position.

hahaha wow..

Mitsu3000gt
03-20-2013, 03:23 PM
I have a Bachelor of Management from the UofL Calgary Campus. Nobody knows or cares that you did it in Calgary, as it is literally the same degree, and most of the teachers were UofC teachers anyway (when I did it).

I was hired before I even finished my degree, and got my foot in the door as a summer student. Had a full time job waiting for me the day I got my degree.

BY FAR the most important thing is getting as much work experience as possible. Nobody will check your grades or your degree, especially not after your first job.

ExtremeSi
03-20-2013, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
I have a Bachelor of Management from the UofL Calgary Campus. Nobody knows or cares that you did it in Calgary, as it is literally the same degree, and most of the teachers were UofC teachers anyway (when I did it).

I was hired before I even finished my degree, and got my foot in the door as a summer student. Had a full time job waiting for me the day I got my degree.

BY FAR the most important thing is getting as much work experience as possible. Nobody will check your grades or your degree, especially not after your first job.

Where did you get a job if you don't mind me asking?

I got my Degree from UofL as well, B.Mgmt, with a Marketing major, and I am still trying to figure out what to do with my life :nut:

Just curious what kind of business jobs are out there besides accounting and finance jobs.

vengie
03-20-2013, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by Thomas Gabriel
I can't imagine a SAIT diploma would get you any job other than a receptionist position. Switch to accounting. Unless you have a huge drive for finance, which it sounds like you don't, you won't get a job. An accounting degree with a good GPA is a guaranteed job. And U of L does have a good coop program.

... Maybe not a business diploma. :nut:

Exactly where my head was at! ahaha sig'd

Mitsu3000gt
03-20-2013, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by ExtremeSi

Where did you get a job if you don't mind me asking?

I got my Degree from UofL as well, B.Mgmt, with a Marketing major, and I am still trying to figure out what to do with my life :nut:

Just curious what kind of business jobs are out there besides accounting and finance jobs.

My first job was in Marketing/Risk Management for a medium sized producing company that doesn't exist anymore. My dad was employed at the same place at the time, which is how I got a summer student position.

Now I am full-on marketing and supply rep. and I love it, but marketing jobs seem to be few and far between, and require experience. I was lucky in that I wasn't stuck filing all summer in my summer student days, I was given actual work so I had a value proposition for the company by the time summer was over. With some work experience and a few good contacts, you will be golden.

Pretty much every job posting I've seen requires "3-5 years experience" even for fairly junior positions, so the most important part is to find an internship or summer student position in my opinion. The day I graduated I already had 3 years real-world working experience, which has helped me out more than I could have imagined.

muffzz
03-21-2013, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

I agree with what all you guys have said. Definitely motivated me a lot more to finish my degree asap. Mitsu were you in the co-op program here at leth? Did you have to complete a course to be accepted for the co-op program? I'm hoping to land a job right away when I'm done or even earlier this summer so I have something permanent when I get done. Any tips on where/how to apply? Recently I've been applying for a lot of jobs through calgaryjobshop but most of the people who call me are either looking for admin positions or warehouse. Even If I can get something like a data entry or payroll entry level position I think it would be good experience.