PDA

View Full Version : My passport expires exactly in 6 month on my traveling day...

oz388
03-20-2013, 04:27 PM
So my Canadian passport will expire in 6 month on the day l leave Canada to Australia, and when I come back in 2 weeks my passport will have less than 6 month life.

Can someone please advise me if I need to renew my passport before I leave Canada?

Thanks!

lilmira
03-20-2013, 04:32 PM
Say what? Your passport will expire once then 6months and 2weeks later it will expire again?

Tik-Tok
03-20-2013, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by lilmira
Say what? Your passport will expire once then 6months and 2weeks later it will expire again?

No, he's saying it will be less than 6 months to expiry. Some border guards give you grief if you have less than 6 months until expiration.

oz388
03-20-2013, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by lilmira

Sorry I just corrected my posting, thx.

lilmira
03-20-2013, 04:39 PM
I'm guessing that's what he meant or he's traveling in a Delorean lol.

Rage posted the 6month club countries a while ago, I'm too lazy to find it. You won't have problem coming back. If anything, they won't let you into Australia.

NVM, that's for US.

adamc
03-21-2013, 09:24 AM
You can get a renewal in the same week as you order it, even faster if you pay for rush. Why not save yourself the hassle?

sputnik
03-21-2013, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by oz388
So my Canadian passport will expire in 6 month on the day l leave Canada to Australia, and when I come back in 2 weeks my passport will have less than 6 month life.

Can someone please advise me if I need to renew my passport before I leave Canada?

Thanks!

As long as you have a return ticket you should be fine.

dj_patm
03-21-2013, 09:53 AM
I travelled to France with less then 3 months left on my passport which technically meant I needed a Visa or something (lol) but I was landing in Germany first and I didn't get any grief there and I doubt I would've got any grief in France either.

You'll be fine, but since it's expiring anyways, you could always just go get it done if you want. You'll have to do it sooner or later.

RX_EVOLV
03-21-2013, 10:31 AM
I don't think Australia requires your passport to be at least 6 months from expiration, but like the previous posters said you might as well get it done since you'll have to do it sooner or later.

I've certainly travelled to the States many time with <6 months and no issues.

http://travel.gc.ca/travelling/documents/passport

lilmira
03-21-2013, 10:53 AM
http://www.uk.embassy.gov.au/lhlh/immi_travel.html

Doesn't look like they care as long as your passport is valid for the duration of your stay. This is from the embassy in UK though, you should check with the embassy in Canada just to make sure.

thrasher22
03-22-2013, 12:28 PM
Unless you're leaving in 24 hours, why wouldn't you just renew your passport?

They "might" not care, they "might" just require a proof of return tickets, but they "MIGHT" not let you into the country. If that's listed an an entry requirement, they have the legal grounds to tell you to get fcked.

My advice is always play it safe with border crossings.

spike98
03-22-2013, 12:49 PM
I entered mexico (with no passport) the day before the rules changed to require passports for entry and no one even blinked. He reminded me of the rules and stamped my way into the country. That being said, nut up and get it renewed to save you the hassle.

Xtrema
03-22-2013, 03:49 PM
6 month valid entering your destination country if you want no trouble. Returning to Canada doesn't matter as long as it's not expired.

Speaking of which are 10 year passport an option yet?

dino_martini
03-22-2013, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema
Speaking of which are 10 year passport an option yet?

No.

The current maximum validity period varies with the age of the passport holder:
•Adults (16 years of age or over): 5 years
•Children (3 to 15 years of age): 5 years
•Children (Under 3 years of age): 3 years

oz388
04-03-2013, 08:26 PM
Thanks everyone for the input on this, I just got my passport renewed and FYI the 10 years passport will begin in July this year.