PDA

View Full Version : Anyone been to Costa Rica lately?

Stunt66
03-20-2013, 05:43 PM
Planning on going to Costa Rica and looking for some advice from anyone whos been recently. Thanks.

Any Beyond travel agents on here?

Kjonus
03-20-2013, 07:28 PM
When you going? I'm heading there in May.

SkiBum5.0
03-21-2013, 10:57 AM
I went in late November with my fiance and really enjoyed it.
Airport in Liberia is brand new which apparently is a big deal since the old one was brutal.
We stayed in Cocoa Beach for two nights, then headed to Tamarindo for 3 nights, then stayed in an all-inclusive for the final 2 nights.

Cocoa Beach is a small town with a couple of cool bars and a good local music scene. Probably only need 1 night there.

Tamarindo was a great place. We took surf lessons and went surfing everyday. Great restaurants such as Nogi's (best coconut cream pie). Lots of expats and surf shops is shopping is your thing.

s2k_boi
07-27-2015, 08:59 PM
Bump. Has anyone been to the Liberia side in September or October. If so, what do you recommend to do and how is the weather during that time of year?

Dumbass17
07-28-2015, 12:27 PM
Looking to go either CR or Nicaragua for some surfing this november too!

BavarianBeast
07-28-2015, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by s2k_boi
Bump. Has anyone been to the Liberia side in September or October. If so, what do you recommend to do and how is the weather during that time of year?

I was on the Liberia side in November, and it was quite gorgeos. Weather was sunny and about 25-28 degrees every day. Nights were warm as well.

I was in Potrero and it was a beautiful little town, lots of Canadians in the area. There is a lot of jungle/nature walks, volcanoes, ATV tours to do in the area.

Depending on your age, and what your into.. Tamarindo was a pretty fun little surf town. Lots of partying going on there.

civicrider
07-29-2015, 01:27 PM
Been to Costa Rica and Nicaragua a few times, mostly to surf so my opinions may be due to where the good waves are. Tamarindo is a great starting point, Nosara is a cool area too, more low key but the roads to get there suck. Manzanillo is also a cool little town, not much going on but a nice place to relax. I recommend renting a car and driving the coast Get a little 4x4 and it makes for some fun driving!

s2k_boi
08-17-2015, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by civicrider
Been to Costa Rica and Nicaragua a few times, mostly to surf so my opinions may be due to where the good waves are. Tamarindo is a great starting point, Nosara is a cool area too, more low key but the roads to get there suck. Manzanillo is also a cool little town, not much going on but a nice place to relax. I recommend renting a car and driving the coast Get a little 4x4 and it makes for some fun driving!

Are the roads hard to navigate around costa rica? (first time)

We will be landing in Liberia and making our way around for about 3 weeks. Recommendations?

sabad66
08-17-2015, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by s2k_boi

Are the roads hard to navigate around costa rica? (first time)

We will be landing in Liberia and making our way around for about 3 weeks. Recommendations?
Roads are fine with a GPS. Get an unlocked smartphone and get a prepaid data sim card from ICE (go to any ICE outlet with your passport) to use.

Depending on your routes there are some tolls, so keep some cash (colones) handy.

Just watch out for motorcycles... i had a very close call on my first day there because i wasn't used to it. There are many and they lane split all the time.

Kjonus
08-17-2015, 07:34 PM
We landed in Liberia and left out of San Jose, dove all over the place for the full two weeks and never got lost once. I used the gps on my Nexus 7 combined with this map (http://www.amazon.ca/Waterproof-Travel-Map-Costa-Rica/dp/097637336X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1439860754&sr=8-1&keywords=costa+rica+map) worth every cent IMO. We rented a Daihatsu Bego from Vamos (who was great to rent with) and got us everywhere without an issue. We took it from Liberia - Monteverde - La Fortuna - Quesada - Jaco - Quepos - Manuel Antonio - San Jose. Aside from the first few nights we we're booking things the day before showing up. If you have any other question shoot me a message.

Darkane
08-17-2015, 07:51 PM
Anyone going with a gf or wife etc hit up the pacuare lodge. Just amazing.

Middle of the rainforest, have to white water raft in and out. Killer.