PDA

View Full Version : Zero Dark Thirty

heavyfuel
03-21-2013, 08:46 AM
Just watched it last night. Loved it! Great explosion scenes! Predictable, but great. I think it was well put together. Never really heard of Jessica Chastain before. But pretty amazing character/acting. And hot as f*** too!

shakalaka
03-21-2013, 08:49 AM
The movie was good. Was a bit weird for a second date but whatever. lol

Mitsu3000gt
03-21-2013, 09:06 AM
Loved the movie overall.

Only thing I didn't like was they literally crashed a helicopter into the compound, then set off multiple explosives, and it didn't seem to wake up more than 1 or 2 people. It wasn't until MUCH later people came outside in the neighborhood - just seemed weird.

Also when the soldier was like "Osamaaaaaa" why would he pop his head around the corner? Haha. Why wouldn't he go for the AK47 above his bed. I guess that's what actually happened, it just seemed so illogical.

B69
03-21-2013, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
Loved the movie overall.

Only thing I didn't like was they literally crashed a helicopter into the compound, then set off multiple explosives, and it didn't seem to wake up more than 1 or 2 people. It wasn't until MUCH later people came outside in the neighborhood - just seemed weird.

Also when the soldier was like "Osamaaaaaa" why would he pop his head around the corner? Haha. Why wouldn't he go for the AK47 above his bed. I guess that's what actually happened, it just seemed so illogical.

Ive also wondered these things. Overall it was a good movie but a bit long. I wonder how much of it is true vs fiction.

Feruk
03-21-2013, 10:03 AM
It's a movie showing US forces committing acts of tourture and murder. The movie was well done, but I was quite disgusted by what really happened and that nobody went to jail for it. "We'll torture you, we'll kill you, we'll put you in jail indefinitely. Amurrrrica, freedom, fuck yeah!"

All in all, I wouldn't watch it again. Hurt Locker was awesome. This one was OK.

Mitsu3000gt
03-21-2013, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by Feruk
It's a movie showing US forces committing acts of tourture and murder. The movie was well done, but I was quite disgusted by what really happened and that nobody went to jail for it. "We'll torture you, we'll kill you, we'll put you in jail indefinitely. Amurrrrica, freedom, fuck yeah!"

All in all, I wouldn't watch it again. Hurt Locker was awesome. This one was OK.

You feel sorry for the guy, until you learn he actually gives up information proving he helped with the terror plots - at that point, fuck him (IMO).

Dave P
03-21-2013, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by Feruk

TERRORIST!!!!!!!!

:goflames:

heavyfuel
03-21-2013, 01:12 PM

You feel sorry for the guy, until you learn he actually gives up information proving he helped with the terror plots - at that point, fuck him (IMO).

I felt just about as sorry for him as terrorists do when they blow up innocent people over their twisted beliefs. Aka never.

be123
03-25-2013, 03:57 AM
Nice...................

cycosis
03-25-2013, 03:59 AM
I thought the helmet rigs during the operation were sweet. double night vision!

urrforce
03-25-2013, 09:54 AM
i really liked it i just wish there was more cod action type stuff versus the political side

but that wasnt what the movie was actually about though right

Xtrema
03-25-2013, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by urrforce
i really liked it i just wish there was more cod action type stuff versus the political side

but that wasnt what the movie was actually about though right

If you want COD movie, just stick with this one:

http://soldiersystems.net/blog1/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Act-of-Valor.jpg

msommers
03-25-2013, 12:03 PM
I read the book before this movie came out and in some ways, glad I did. The book focuses more on his story, previous missions, gear etc than following the girl's. It also makes you realize how mission ops have changed.

And the helicopter crash was described in the book but I can't recall if he described much of neighbors being awake. The Pakistani military had jet fighters enroute to that site though.

I think the book was similar but different enough that if you enjoyed one you'd enjoy the other.

Inzane
03-25-2013, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by msommers
I read the book before this movie came out and in some ways, glad I did. The book focuses more on his story, previous missions, gear etc than following the girl's. It also makes you realize how mission ops have changed.

And the helicopter crash was described in the book but I can't recall if he described much of neighbors being awake. The Pakistani military had jet fighters enroute to that site though.

I think the book was similar but different enough that if you enjoyed one you'd enjoy the other.

Uh... what book?

Are you talking about "No Easy Day" by Mark Owen? If so, I'm not aware of any official connection between his book and this movie, other than they both chronicle the same event.

msommers
03-25-2013, 02:41 PM
Maybe not official but certainly implied.

403Gemini
03-25-2013, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by Inzane

Uh... what book?

Are you talking about "No Easy Day" by Mark Owen? If so, I'm not aware of any official connection between his book and this movie, other than they both chronicle the same event.

"No Easy Day" is about the SEALS stand point (from the guy who was 2nd through the door) , Zero Dark Thirty is about the CIA perspective. Reading the book and watching the movies you can see how it all relates very well. In the book, they make reference to "the young CIA girl" A LOT, so it was nice seeing her perspective.

Loved the movie overall.

You have to think - You live in a war torn country and you hear explosions going off at your neighbours place , would you look outside or go outside to investigate? In Canada - sure, it may be a fire and you may be able to help somebody. In a place like Pakistan where suicide bombings and gun fights aren't exactly rare, you'd probably mind your own business until you start seeing more of your neighbours in the street checking it out.

In the book "No easy Day" they explain why he peaked his head out. They whispered it VERY quietly to make it sound like his son was calling him out (his son was on the stairs that they killed), thats why he looked.

The book also made note, when they searched the room - he had an AK 47 above the bed and multiple hand guns in the room - no weapon was even loaded. He clearly had enough time to hear the gun shots, and was too much of a coward to fight for his own cause. The author or No Easy Day said he had a lot of respect for the general in the guest house (who they killed through the door) and his son because they fought and died for their beliefs - but Osama was like all dictators, clearly all talk. He doesn't believe in his cause or the relgious aspect of dying a glorious death - he clearly uses it as a device to control his followers.

Xtrema
03-25-2013, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by 403Gemini
He doesn't believe in his cause or the relgious aspect of dying a glorious death - he clearly uses it as a device to control his followers.

The last time an empire with an army killed a messenger and we got 2000+ year of followers out of it.

He wanted to be the next Jesus?

anarchy
03-26-2013, 12:39 AM
Originally posted by 403Gemini

In the book "No easy Day" they explain why he peaked his head out. They whispered it VERY quietly to make it sound like his son was calling him out (his son was on the stairs that they killed), thats why he looked.

That doesn't make sense to me. Why would his son call his dad Osama?

Anyways, thought it was a good movie but not great. It felt quite long and dragged on at times. Interesting perspective though, and pretty amazing considering that it took a decade of intelligence-gathering to find him.