PDA

View Full Version : Hot Water Tank Help!

03-21-2013, 10:04 AM
Hey Guys

I have an issue with my Bradford White Power Direct Vent tank.

Model# PDX250T6FBNH

Last year i had the gas control valve replaced under warranty since the unit let off a puff of smoke and smelt like burning electronics - it still functioned 100% even after this.. never missed a beat, just stunk up the basement.

Come home last night to the distinct smell of burnt electronics and sure as shit - the new control valve has done the same thing. smells of burning electronics..

I took apart the old unit and the new unit - nothing apparent, and nothing looks fried, charred or burnt - it just stinks..

the status LED and actual unit all function properly.

THe manufacturer said to check the outlet its plugged into - which i doubt is the issue... but i will check that tonight with my meter and test equipment..

You guys ever heard of something like this before or have any ideas on what else I can check?

I dont want to pay a plumber another couple hundred bucks to replace the control valve every year under warranty until the warranty is up..

prosh
03-21-2013, 10:16 AM
Is it possible you got a lemon?

03-21-2013, 10:21 AM
Possible.. it came with the house.

but since its almost 4 years old since manufacture date... its not like im going to get a new one under warranty..

I was just trying to avoid having to buy a new one, and was hoping some of the local forum plumbers might have some insight.

Tik-Tok
03-21-2013, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by 410440
Possible.. it came with the house.

but since its almost 4 years old since manufacture date... its not like im going to get a new one under warranty..

I was just trying to avoid having to buy a new one, and was hoping some of the local forum plumbers might have some insight.

Most hot water tanks have a warranty between 5 and 15 years, check into it.

03-21-2013, 10:47 AM
The tank is still under parts warranty - but i still have to pay labour.

and if it dies every year which its on track for.. im not paying labour every year to replace it.

traicy01
06-01-2013, 04:29 AM
if it breaks very often, I think, it's a good idea to looking for an another producer of it.

speedog
06-01-2013, 06:42 AM
Originally posted by traicy01
if it breaks very often, I think, it's a good idea to looking for an another producer of it.
Huh?

Never the less, just replace the tank yourself - 90 minutes and you should have it done.