View Full Version : Composite Decking Advice?

Zero102
03-21-2013, 11:07 AM
Our house as a 12'x12' attached deck on the main floor (it has a walkout so the deck is ~10 feet in the air) and the deck boards are all badly cracked, twisted and big chunks and slivers are coming off. This has caused some small injuries for the kids and so we were looking to replace the decking this year. Given that our primary concern was slivers and that there will be kids running around on it (probably in their socks despite our warnings...) the idea of having boards that can't splinter and produce slivers sounds really nice. I don't want to go with a vinyl surface because we do have patio chairs and a bbq and other things that will probably tear or damage it. All of the structure for the deck is in good shape and is very solid with the exception of the railing, which we will also be replacing this year with an aluminum railing to match other parts of the house. We are planning to stay in this house for the next 6-10 years and I'd prefer not to be replacing the boards again.

The problem I have is that composite decking seems to be strangely expensive. Where is the cheapest place to get composite boards that are of a decent quality? Is $4-5/linear foot the cheapest you can get them for in this qualitity (~312 lnear feet)? Maybe I am expecting too much but I see lots of wholesalers and similar places in the US selling the boards for between $1.80 and $2.50 per linear foot, is there anybody up here that is even close to that price?

suntan
03-21-2013, 11:23 AM
Try Lumber King. They used to have their rates online but alas they took it down.

Timbertown sells composite for $2/ln ft right now.

Be very careful with the dimensions, if you want to do an exact replacement make sure the boards are actually the same size as your current boards.

Stay away from Trex. Overpriced and scratches really easily.

DENZILDON
03-21-2013, 11:31 AM
Timbertown might have some older models that they want to clear out and you can get them with a big discount. My friend got lucky last year and bought his at almost 65% off but he just made sure he bought a lot of extras just in case there's damage in the future since the manufacturer was not doing the same color anymore.

C_Dave45
03-22-2013, 04:41 AM
Is a vinyl deck out of the question? I love it on my deck. I've got about 400 sq ft. All vinyl. It's over 15 years old and still looks like new. No dripping underneath. Sweeps dust an dirt off easily. Comfortable to walk on and great for the kids.
Just a thought.

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o312/CalgaryDave/House/PatioBBQJune3078.jpg

Zero102
03-22-2013, 06:56 AM
I don't know if a vinyl deck is out of the question. When I first thought this up my plan was to do a vinyl deck because it would keep the patio under the main floor deck dry and it was cheaper than composite while still accomplishing the same end effect.

I started reading around and it seems that people are having theirs tear and otherwise get damaged and I am worried that between 3 kids and myself occasionally being careless that we will damage it. This is why I changed my mind and thought composite was a good idea. As for the dry underneath part I can always add the rain gutter things that fit between the joists later if I do composite.

C_Dave45
03-22-2013, 08:42 AM
Well we've had two big dogs plus construction projects, parties of over 30 people on the deck and not one tear or lifting anywhere. I shovel snow and ice off it thru the winter, plus traffic in and out of the Hottub. We use the patio every single day even in the winter. Even the stairs up to it are vinyl.

spacerz
03-22-2013, 10:03 AM
I actually have a bunch of composite decking planks left over from a couple jobs I did last year! What colour were you looking for?

Either way, both composite and vinyl decking get extremely hot during the summer time. I hope you considered that factor!

03ozwhip
03-22-2013, 10:09 AM
^i was just going to say, they got hot as fuck. i built my deck last year with composite and while i love it, its way too hot sometimes. i got luck and bought it at $1 a foot a few years back, but it was the beginning of winter and they were obviously blowing out what was left.

we got it at timbertown IIRC.

mr2mike
03-22-2013, 10:34 AM
I was going to pitch the vinyl too. I've helped my dad run it at his rentals and seems durable, easy to do and cheap-ish.

If it gets too hot, takes a few seconds to run the hose over it, squeegee it off and done.

Zero102
03-22-2013, 02:26 PM
I didn't know that they got super hot. Currently we have pine boards with a dark stain on them, would either decking surface get hotter than they do? I generally find it too hot to walk on in socks during the summer already :banghead:

I need 33 12 foot boards (assuming I don't make any mistakes) and I haven't picked a colour yet. The house is tan and we'll be putting a black railing on it so that leaves a lot of colour options open.

It sounds like vinyl decking is much more durable that I had previously thought, any preferred brands for it? I assume it is the sort of thing that you have to get installed, not much of a DIY job, but perhaps I can at least install the plywood and do all the prep work?

Zero102
06-02-2015, 08:45 AM
BUMP - finally got the funds saved up to do the deck this year and I'm still wondering, if I do vinyl what is the best place to get it? Can I do it myself or does it have to be installed?

suntan
06-02-2015, 10:04 AM
You can DIY it for sure. Old next door neighbour did it himself.

jwslam
06-02-2015, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by Zero102
if I do vinyl what is the best place to get it? Can I do it myself or does it have to be installed?
Random thing I learned from HGTV Disaster Decks: make sure you get screws specific for composite decks so you don't end up with the left:
http://www.jwredwood.com/admincms/lib/fckeditor/uploads/image/id-4_trapease_no-mushroom-c2ff958c(1).jpg

roopi
06-02-2015, 10:29 AM
Skip the screws if you are using composite and use the hidden clips/fasteners.

suntan
06-02-2015, 10:32 AM
You might have to screw in the first row.

locust
06-02-2015, 05:59 PM
If your going composite look at Lumber King probably one of the best priced places. Timber town was a close one as well.

Sent yeah a pm for the Vinyl contact as well

locust
06-02-2015, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by suntan
You might have to screw in the first row.

Alot of the composite brands like TREX have a starter row clip.
You can use the start/stop clip and screw that right down without going through the boards.

pheoxs
06-02-2015, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by jwslam

Random thing I learned from HGTV Disaster Decks: make sure you get screws specific for composite decks so you don't end up with the left:
http://www.jwredwood.com/admincms/lib/fckeditor/uploads/image/id-4_trapease_no-mushroom-c2ff958c(1).jpg

Wish i'd known this ... I built some benches with composites for the seating portion and the screw holes look like shit

Zero102
06-03-2015, 07:27 AM
If I go with composite I'm planning to use the clips for between the rows but I hadn't considered what gets done for the starter row, I'll look into that and if necessary make sure to use the right screws to avoid the decking getting screwed up (ha ha... okay, I'll show myself out)

Since Lumber King isn't very close to me Timber Town was going to be my first stop, then Windsor Plywood to see what they offer, and last I was going to hit up the home depot in Tuscany just to see how the big box stores stack up.

Thanks for the advice guys!

pheoxs
06-03-2015, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by locust
If your going composite look at Lumber King probably one of the best priced places. Timber town was a close one as well.

Sent yeah a pm for the Vinyl contact as well

Have you used lumber king before? They're garage package prices are quite a bit cheaper than any of the bigger box stores. I've never heard of them before though so a bit leary. Plus their office is literally a shack lol

94CoRd
06-03-2015, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by pheoxs

Have you used lumber king before? They're garage package prices are quite a bit cheaper than any of the bigger box stores. I've never heard of them before though so a bit leary. Plus their office is literally a shack lol

Lumber king is an excellent place to deal with! They were the only place I could find last year when I was building my deck that carried 16 foot cedar boards... granted this was near the end of summer, so I'm sure other place's were just out of stock.

Only thing that sucks is they are almost inner city!

pheoxs
06-03-2015, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by 94CoRd

Lumber king is an excellent place to deal with! They were the only place I could find last year when I was building my deck that carried 16 foot cedar boards... granted this was near the end of summer, so I'm sure other place's were just out of stock.

Only thing that sucks is they are almost inner city!

Cool, I'm in Airdrie so it's really easy to get to off deerfoot

RealJimmyJames
01-25-2016, 11:55 AM
Any update on this, a bud is looking at build a 600 square foot deck next summer. any preferred brands?

95EG6P
01-25-2016, 12:26 PM
i have it and it is pretty good so far and it got it on sale at home depot for 1.67 linor foot. Also the screws were supper expensive.as they use a special screw and it was like 50 screws for about $30:cry:

bjstare
01-25-2016, 01:01 PM
My parents have had Trex since 2012 IIRC. They probably have >1000 sq ft of it in various places around the house. Incredibly resilient, not too hot on the feet in summer either. It's great, albeit expensive.

89coupe
01-25-2016, 01:07 PM
https://www.fiberondecking.com/en-ca/

Beautiful stuff.

schurchill39
06-29-2023, 11:27 AM
BUMP!

Just as with everything related to decks, the price of composite has gone up exponentially lately. Whats the current recommendation for composite deck brands and place to buy it from? I've heard really good things about Timbertown and their Azek polymer decking, and of course Trex. I have about 225 sqft to do, and I'll need 16ft boards.

Any feedback on how hot composite gets in the summer? The inlaws had a vinyl deck and you couldn't go on it without footware and the dog wouldn't touch it.

SJW
06-29-2023, 11:39 AM
BUMP!

Just as with everything related to decks, the price of composite has gone up exponentially lately. Whats the current recommendation for composite deck brands and place to buy it from? I've heard really good things about Timbertown and their Azek polymer decking, and of course Trex. I have about 225 sqft to do, and I'll need 16ft boards.

Any feedback on how hot composite gets in the summer? The inlaws had a vinyl deck and you couldn't go on it without footware and the dog wouldn't touch it.

I have a composite deck. It gets hot as well.

bjstare
06-29-2023, 01:11 PM
Hot, but not as hot as vinyl, in my experience.

SJW
06-29-2023, 01:13 PM
Hot, but not as hot as vinyl, in my experience.

Stop undermining my hotness scale.

DonJuan
06-29-2023, 01:31 PM
Did my deck a couple years ago now with composite. Do not regret. I shopped around and got the best deal from Timbertown and went with timbertech.
TIP #1: Use the timbertech clips for a nice finish.
My deck is a darker grey. Which is the only thing I would change if I did it again. It gets hot and although it is very scratch resistant, you can kina see the scratches.
Go with a lighter colour and it will help with both heat and scratch appearance.
TIP #2: Get a rubber BBQ mat for under your grills or smoker etc. The shit melts when hot embers fly out.

thinmyster
06-29-2023, 01:42 PM
BUMP!

How much would you say prices have risen?

roopi
06-29-2023, 02:37 PM
Used Trex would do again. Not sure how hot it gets though. I don't go outside without footwear. I have two dogs that have no issue with it though.

gwill
06-29-2023, 03:20 PM
I've priced out trex recently. 16x16 deck. Normal black railings. 2 sets of stairs. Gates on the stairs. Border along the side with the deck closed off along the bottom. LED lights in certain areas.

Quotes were in the 20 to 25k range. One was ridiculous at 30k.

Found someone to do the install who's not ripping me off and will get it all done for 11k.

Not a fan of most of the deck builders who can't give you a price on the spot.... quotes would take a few days. Went into one place and tried to buy my supplies and they wanted me to write out a diagram and email it to them. Guess they didn't want a sale.

ThePenIsMightier
07-02-2023, 10:18 PM
The day I "need" a deck to last seven times longer than I'm going to live is a day that I visit a Stellantis dealer for a discounted truck "thousands below MSRP."
I'm not sure why people are so scared of replacing a deck in 25 years. Who gives a squirt of fuck??!! I also think that absolutely SCALDING my bare feet on a deck is not a selling feature.
But not everyone shares my values.

XylathaneGTR
07-03-2023, 07:55 AM
The day I "need" a deck to last seven times longer than I'm going to live is a day that I visit a Stellantis dealer for a discounted truck "thousands below MSRP."
I'm not sure why people are so scared of replacing a deck in 25 years. Who gives a squirt of fuck??!! I also think that absolutely SCALDING my bare feet on a deck is not a selling feature.
But not everyone shares my values.

It was because I'm a lazy bastard and don't want to maintain a deck, but also want it to not look like shit.
Went with Fibron during my build, no ragrets. Gets warm, but able to walk barefoot no problemo.

ExtraSlow
07-03-2023, 09:24 AM
Yeah I don't think the whole deck lasts that much longer because the structure is still PT anyway so that's the limiting factor. Lazy maintenence is the big draw for me.

JRSC00LUDE
07-03-2023, 10:02 AM
I've priced out trex recently. 16x16 deck. Normal black railings. 2 sets of stairs. Gates on the stairs. Border along the side with the deck closed off along the bottom. LED lights in certain areas.

Quotes were in the 20 to 25k range. One was ridiculous at 30k.

Found someone to do the install who's not ripping me off and will get it all done for 11k.

Not a fan of most of the deck builders who can't give you a price on the spot.... quotes would take a few days. Went into one place and tried to buy my supplies and they wanted me to write out a diagram and email it to them. Guess they didn't want a sale.

Now we don't do residential work but there's commerical clients with similar attitudes like you too......they get high numbers and sent to other companies to have to deal with lol

gwill
07-03-2023, 10:15 AM
Now we don't do residential work but there's commerical clients with similar attitudes like you too......they get high numbers and sent to other companies to have to deal with lol

By similar attitudes do you mean doing your homework to get a fair price? I get some companies are extremely busy and can pick the prices they want to charge. I was prepared for 15 to 20k for my budget but really had no clue where prices would be until I spoke to some companies.

One of my customers did an 18x12 foot deck with an open style pergola. Just finished last week. Deck has 5 sets of stairs that wrap around 70% of the deck. He even recessed a hot tub into one spot that had a lower deck and had to get reinforced. He too was doing trex but the color he wanted was sold out and ended up upgrading to some other brand.

His all in price was 13k. Seems like good value to me considering he's got more stairs then my build and a pergola that I don't have.

If stairs are one of the higher costs to a deck build this customer of mine got a pretty sweet price for what was built.

schurchill39
07-04-2023, 12:33 PM
We went to Beyond Curb Appeal (formerly The Deck Shop) and looked at a bunch of options. We are leaning towards the Wolf brand mostly for colour choice and texture. We brought a couple samples home and left them out in the sun along with a chunk of the PT stained deck we had on there and the PVC decking was a little hotter but only about 5-6 degrees.

I'm going this route because I am a lazy fuck and don't want to do maintenance on the deck every few years. My last house I had a PT deck I built about 5 years before we had kids and my little guy was getting splinters left and right. Just when I would think I had it sanded down he would find another place to get them. The same with the raining, we are going aluminum with tempered glass (probably).

I am definitely ramping up the effords on the substructure to help with longevity. Even though its PT I am using butyl tape on the beams, g-tape on the joists, resealing every cut, and running pretty much every applicable simpson bracket/tie I can.

Either way the previous deck was such a monsterous piece of shit that anything I do is an upgrade.

msommers
07-04-2023, 12:48 PM
Our deck is smaller, like 10x25 I'd guess with one set of stairs. The thought of spending 10k on a fucking deck is making me barf

riander5
07-04-2023, 01:04 PM
Our deck is smaller, like 10x25 I'd guess with one set of stairs. The thought of spending 10k on a fucking deck is making me barf

MIL just spent 35k on a big 40x40f deck. Kept the bones, re-did top with dura deck.

I had to just stop talking about it after a while it rattled me so much

JRSC00LUDE
07-04-2023, 01:21 PM
By similar attitudes do you mean doing your homework to get a fair price? I get some companies are extremely busy and can pick the prices they want to charge. I was prepared for 15 to 20k for my budget but really had no clue where prices would be until I spoke to some companies.

One of my customers did an 18x12 foot deck with an open style pergola. Just finished last week. Deck has 5 sets of stairs that wrap around 70% of the deck. He even recessed a hot tub into one spot that had a lower deck and had to get reinforced. He too was doing trex but the color he wanted was sold out and ended up upgrading to some other brand.

His all in price was 13k. Seems like good value to me considering he's got more stairs then my build and a pergola that I don't have.

If stairs are one of the higher costs to a deck build this customer of mine got a pretty sweet price for what was built.

No, really just this part:

I get a deck isn't rocket science but that's the kind of stuff that makes us fire clients before they have a chance to hire us, usually just a harbinger of the issues to come.

gwill
07-04-2023, 02:50 PM
No, really just this part:

I get a deck isn't rocket science but that's the kind of stuff that makes us fire clients before they have a chance to hire us, usually just a harbinger of the issues to come.

Interesting. I wouldn't think a deck builders with a store front would take days to quote. I wouldn't have shopped elsewhere if i didn't wait days for the quote.

On the flip side walking into a place that sells you materializes and doesn't even build decks should be able to take an order in one visit shouldnt it? This is their main purpose.

Clearly I haven't had to build a deck before if my expectations are that out of whack from the reality of things.

ExtraSlow
07-04-2023, 03:12 PM
If you walk into a lumberyard with a materials list and can't get the materials ordered, I think the problem isn't the lumberyard.