PDA

View Full Version : Looking at a Honda Fit or similar. Suggestions?

bigbadboss101
03-21-2013, 02:37 PM
My girlfriend likes the Honda Fit so I am thinking of picking one up for me as a commuter now and when we get married she can drive it. New or used I don’t know yet and leasing is a possibility. From the bit of research I hear that it’s a fun little car with good cargo space. Resale is better than competitors. I will be looking at the Sport model. What other cars should I be checking out if I am in the market for the Fit? Versa, Focus SE, Chev Sonic (hmm), Mazda 2 etc? My friend leased a Jetta for pretty good price but that isn’t a hatch.

I have a contact for Okotoks Honda. If you know someone good in Calgary please pass on contact as well.

Thanks.

Sugarphreak
03-21-2013, 06:05 PM

CanmoreOrLess
03-21-2013, 06:30 PM
Both Sugarphreak and I own the ever well received and reviewed GD3 Fit Sport models, but oh how the GE8 has been tossed aside in this comparison test of six subcompacts, Honda placed 4th!

http://www.autos.ca/car-comparisons/comparison-test-subcompact-hatchbacks/?all=1

Personally, the GD3 falls short (minor enough that I have done nothing to correct) in a few areas: rather loud on the highway, no heated seats, no armrest. All can be addressed in the aftermarket world with door/body insulation, seat elements and an armrest for about a thousand bucks tops. With winter tires it is a great commuter in the snow season. I cannot see getting rid of my Fit even with a new vehicle coming in 2013.

max_boost
03-21-2013, 06:39 PM
The Fit FTW! Love that car. Still a Honda fan boy at heart. :D

Okotoks Honda is excellent, both sales and service.

kevie88
03-21-2013, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
The Fit FTW! Love that car. Still a Honda fan boy at heart. :D

Okotoks Honda is excellent, both sales and service.

Indeed!:D

bigbadboss101
03-21-2013, 06:42 PM
Unfortunately she needs automatic transmission.

ddduke
03-21-2013, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by bigbadboss101
Unfortunately she needs automatic transmission.

She can leave to love the manual

speedog
03-21-2013, 08:08 PM
Have had an auto Sonic for about 18 months now and quite like it. Not as big as my HHR I had previous, but a fun car to drive and probably more so with the turbo. Good on gas, current tank average is at 8.1l/100km on a mix of 70% city/30% highway driving. Heated seats are an available option and amazingly quiet on the highway, great ride too - much better than one would expect from such a small car.

FullFledgedYYC
03-22-2013, 08:51 AM
I had a 2008 fit... i literally did nothing to it until i sold it at I believe 90,000kms. Front brakes needed pads rotors and calipers as the one seized.

Other then that, oil. Good car, I don't think the fuel mileage is as good as people think personally, but it was a great car.

And yes, resale on it was quite good.

Sugarphreak
03-22-2013, 11:30 AM

FullFledgedYYC
03-22-2013, 11:53 AM
I found mine to be around 32-37 in the city... highway was not good at all though, It was lower I believe. That's what happens when you are constantly at 4300 RPM I guess...

It was a long time ago, so I really don't remember, but I am fairly certain I had far better mileage in the city.

bigbadboss101
03-22-2013, 12:02 PM
There is a 2007 Sports auto in kijiji for 12,500 with under 30,000 km.
There are a few others with dealers. I might go test out a 2007 ish and a new one.

With that said, what would be a good alternative? Focus? SkyActiv Mazda 3?

speedog
03-22-2013, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by bigbadboss101
There is a 2007 Sports auto in kijiji for 12,500 with under 30,000 km.
There are a few others with dealers. I might go test out a 2007 ish and a new one.

With that said, what would be a good alternative? Focus? SkyActiv Mazda 3?

Both the Focus and Mazda 3 are in a different size class. Ford's B-class car would be the Fiesta and Mazda's would be the Mazda2 - those would both be in the same size class as the Honda Fit.

roll_over
03-23-2013, 04:14 PM
didnt realize there was so many fit owners, it also has a timing chain not belt

bigbadboss101
03-23-2013, 07:06 PM
Tested the automatic version today. If we do purchase likely will go with the fun manual transmission after another drive.

I assume you all have winter tires? What kind and didn't you go smaller and narrower?

roll_over
03-24-2013, 04:35 AM
175/65r14 hankook ipike at $60 each

CanmoreOrLess
03-24-2013, 10:30 AM
For winter tires, I went to TireBob, steel rims and General Tire, size I cannot recall but they are 15". All in I think it was less than $700 bucks four winters ago. A couple more winters at least left on these tires (will sell in the late fall of 2013). Leaning towards studded tires (might again buy the Generals as they can be studded) next winter as I miss the absolute sure footedness on ice and with plenty of travel to ski areas this is going to be far better. The Generals are really great though overall, sold everywhere including CT. TireBob was very competitive on pricing, I like both shops, never a concern when dealing with them for all my tires.

Going to 14 or 15" and a wee bit narrower than stock would be winter-smart and a little cheaper. I've never had an issue with ride height, staying on the road helps I would think. I had half a winter without winter tires and it was impossible to get up some of the "hills" in the Bankview area as an example. Switched to winters and I've never been worried at all about where I go.

Sugarphreak
03-24-2013, 11:14 AM

TopGearUK
03-24-2013, 11:17 PM
The Fit with the manual transmission is the way to go for sure. Which trim level are you leaning towards? If it fits your budget I would go for the Sport.

bigbadboss101
04-05-2013, 07:54 AM
Yes looking at the Sports, manual.

Vagabond142
04-05-2013, 08:18 AM
I may be a little biased, but have you considered Kia? I'm loving my Rio5.

I compared the Fiesta SE, Fiesta Titanium, Focus SE, Fit Sport, Chevy Spark, Chevy... turbocharged thing, Dodge Dart SLT.

I will admit, the Fit is a zippy little go cart, to me it's just... bleh. Maybe I'm getting old, maybe looking at things with an eye to buy instead of just a passing interest. It just didn't give me a Captain Slow Fizz feeling.

My Rio 5 EX is an automatic 6 speed (very nice for cruising Deerfoot), and comes with pretty much everything you could want for a city runabout thrown in as standard.

I'm not saying go out and buy one tomorrow, but keep a 2012+ Rio or Rio 5 in mind, they are surprisingly good cars. Kia has really done a 180 since the mid 2000's. Pretty much taking all the old Honda qualities and making them their own: reliability, value for money, fun to drive, not too expensive to maintain, but not overly "cheap" feeling cars.

And yes, my Rio 5 gives me a touch of Capt Slow Fizz :thumbsup:

Vmack
04-05-2013, 08:41 AM
go for it if she likes it.

I owned an 07 Fit for almost 4 years. I wanted to get a new car last year (something bigger), but i didn't really want to sell it, so I sold it to my little brother to keep it near in case I wanted to buy it back later as a daily commuter once he's done with it.

Great mileage, a lot of fun to drive compared to similar cars, great space. only downside is highway driving.