PDA

View Full Version : Any dirtbike mechanics on beyond

pyro
03-21-2013, 05:20 PM
Just picked up a 2010 YZ250F. When I picked it up I made sure it started and ran fine but it was missing the clutch perch which I figured was an easy fix. After getting home I noticed the clutch rod was loose and had no spring/tension on it. Anyone able to take a look or possibly know what could be wrong.

MrSector9
03-21-2013, 06:20 PM
there is not usually any spring pressure on that rod and it will flop back and forth almost 1/4 turn, tht being said when you put a wrench on it to turn it as if the cable was pulling it you will feel the spring tension, it is just very strong so usually hard to pull with just bare hand (specifically on a race bike)

Graham_A_M
03-21-2013, 06:28 PM
Andy @ Rock Central Cycle specializes in dirtbikes. He's a wicked mechanic, and a very good guy. I'd take it to him. Short of that, the guys at Redline can help.

Or lastly, the guys at the "Old motorcycle shop". Their excellent mechanics as well, and only charge $75/hr.

pyro
03-21-2013, 07:48 PM
Mrsector9 I think you nailed it, sounds exactly like it and it was a race bike.
Thanks for the help.

2BLUE
03-21-2013, 08:16 PM
Mrsector9 is the man! He knows his shit! :thumbsup:

pyro
04-03-2013, 06:50 PM
Mrsector9- can you tell me what I screwed up, perch doesn't seem to fit almost like something is backwards its causing my clutch cable to be 1/2in to short.
http://i49.tinypic.com/dwrwx1.jpg

MrSector9
04-03-2013, 09:04 PM
perch is incorrect for the lever(lever/adjuster is a pro taper unit), you only bought the perch and not the complete lever correct? Same as the adjuster is an aftermarket unit, so if you had the stock adjuster it may work but it is still going to be incorrect feel when you pull it as aftermarket companies change the pivot point (that is the reason it does not line up correct)

options are either buy a complete stock unit or a complete aftermarket unit, they change products so that is why i do not recommend trying to order a replacement pro taper perch (you could try if you wanted though)

Graham_A_M
04-03-2013, 09:23 PM
^ I was going to say just that, but my area of expertise isn't so much in dirtbikes, as I haven't really worked on any since I was 12. It seems the design of the lever VS. the design of the perch don't match up at all.
Its obvious through the layout that it doesn't line up. It just doesn't look right. I was going to say exactly that, but wanted your final input.
The tensioner is also likely to blame for that. Id get rid of that whole assembly and either use the full stock unit, or full aftermarket unit. Using a mis-mash of both is whats creating that cable length issue.

pyro
04-03-2013, 09:26 PM
Makes sense now. I just bought the bike and it was pieced together like that but ill just order a new set. Thanks for the help

Graham_A_M
04-03-2013, 09:33 PM
Pazzo makes some wicked lever/perches. Ive had friends use them on countless other bikes, and they've been great. Personally I've always used the OEM units and have had zero issues though. :dunno:

MrSector9
04-03-2013, 09:41 PM
Pazzo are great levers, however for a dirt bike are overkill usually (breaking a $100+ lever would suck)

Get something that you find comfortable, This may be hard to tell form the package but by looking you will see something that will look or feel like it fits your hands correct.

Graham_A_M
04-03-2013, 09:49 PM
^ perhaps. Replacement levers aren't much on ebay at all. With decent bushguards, the lever cost is almost irrelevant, since that'll be the last of your worries. :dunno: