PDA

View Full Version : Used car checklist

CapnCrunch
03-22-2013, 07:26 AM
I'm going to be taking a look at a cheap beater tomorrow for my nephew. Does anyone have a good used car checklist I could print off of things to check for?

The carproof is clean, so it's just mechanical stuff I need to look over. I'm a little ADD, so a checklist is definitely needed lol.

ExtraSlow
03-22-2013, 08:35 AM
On a beater, before you start it, put your hand on the engine and make sure it's stone cold. Leave the hood up, start it yourself (never let the seller start the car) and immediatly put your head under the hood and listen to it warm up.

FreakinPrince
03-22-2013, 10:04 AM
Check all fluid before starting up the car. This way you get a better chance to hear everything on the engine

Get proof of any recent or past work on the car
Timing belt
Water pump
Oil change
Check wheel and break pads
Thread of tires (so you know if need to replace soon or knok price down a bit)
Any dents and/or rust
If manual (play with the gears to make sure it's smooth shifting )
All lights working

Stewjoe
03-22-2013, 10:07 AM
Test windshield wipers, AC, Stereo and any other accessories. I bought a used car and found out later the washer line was blown and AC resistor was fried.

Graham_A_M
03-23-2013, 11:32 AM
Jack up the wheels if you can and check for any play. There should be absolutely none. If there is, you may want to walk away since likely the bearings, suspension/susp. bushings, tie rod ends (etc) are on their way out. Those are all quite costly to replace.

Lastly, take it on the fast roads and put it through all the gears, to make sure they all work and it shifts normally through them.

Also, (depending on the type of car & engine) take off the oil fill cap and stick your finger underneath into the valve cover. If you pull out tons of filth and muck, its likely been very poorly maintained.

I can go on for a LONG time, but I gotta pick up my new car, so... thats all I have time to say. :(

TopGearUK
03-24-2013, 11:19 PM
Ask for service history as well.