PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Malaysian GP

Pages : [1] 2

rob the knob
03-23-2013, 07:22 AM
Contending with the rain that meant the cars were kicking up some serious spray behind them, Raikkonen reportedly baulked Nico Rosberg.

The Australian GP winner went on to qualify in seventh place while Rosberg put his Mercedes up to sixth.

However, after qualifying Raikkonen was summoned to the stewards were he was handed a three-place grid penalty for impeding the German.

The Lotus driver will therefore begin round two of the Championship from 10th place on the grid.

Revised Grid
01 Sebastian Vettel
02 Felipe Massa
03 Fernando Alonso
04 Lewis Hamilton
05 Mark Webber
06 Nico Rosberg
07 Jenson Button
08 Adrian Sutil
09 Sergio Perez
10 Kimi Raikkonen
11 Romain Grosjean
12 Nico Hulkenberg
13 Daniel Ricciardo
14 Esteban Gutierrez
15 Paul di Resta
16 Pastor Maldonado
17 Jean-Eric Vergne
18 Valtteri Bottas
19 Jules Bianchi
20 Charles Pic
21 Max Chilton
22 Giedo van der Garde

http://www.hindustantimes.com/Images/2012/3/626f67b0-cb5f-4fea-b108-6bdd963774d2HiRes.JPG

http://www.hindustantimes.com/Images/2012/3/1c91414e-3e19-4d4a-8a74-bbdda25b9486HiRes.JPG

http://www.hindustantimes.com/Images/2012/3/a3920d59-177d-424c-a135-1bca387ed8dfHiRes.JPG

http://www.hindustantimes.com/Images/2012/3/ac924be8-61f4-4b89-b50e-1aa9baec975eHiRes.JPG

rage2
03-23-2013, 09:23 AM
Definately the strangest Saturday I've seen in a long time. FP3, the top teams all dropped by around 1s, while the midfielders all moved up 1s. Looked pretty upside down, especially in terms of long runs. RBR was absolutely destroying their tires.

Same thing in Qualifying, was completely backwards in the dry. Mercedes up front, RBR barely able to push competitive times and had to run Q1 on options. Then the rain came which shuffled the order again haha. Mercedes was the quickest out there in both conditions, but the top 3 guys went in for new Inters and blitzed the field (everyone else stayed out on old tires). Crazy shit.

So reading the news this morning, it looks like Mercedes and RBR had huge delaminations through practice. Turns out if you have a lot of downforce the tires fall apart haha. So everyone had to set their cars up to be slower. :rofl:

chongkee_
03-23-2013, 11:37 AM
Saw a picture somewhere of Hamilton heading to the pits with his right front tire worn to the canvas. RBR is not the only one who eats tires like no tomorrow.

I'm really hoping that the safety car stays out.

I wonder who's Vettel going to cover at the start. I don't see how he's going to cover both Ferrari's at the same time before the first corner. The Ferrari's makes lighting quick starts, one of them is bound to be P1 after the first corner.

Reading articles about the McLarens are just too painful, lets hope they speed up development and catch up with the top teams before it's too late.

Unknown303
03-23-2013, 12:38 PM
VETTEL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :clap:

rage2
03-23-2013, 12:39 PM
That pic of Hamiltons tire isn't from wear. It was from delamination. Tire fell apart in the middle of his 2nd lap (first flyer).

cycosis
03-23-2013, 02:29 PM
Though Im happy with Vettel's quali, I don't think he'll be able to hold the ferraris off. Happy to see Massa in front of Alonso again.

urrforce
03-23-2013, 03:56 PM
i have a question for the cars/drivers who qualified in the top 10 on say a non wet weather tire and the race starts in a downpour would those teams be allowed to change to and start on rain tires or do they have to tough it out for a few laps until pits are open to swap?

93VR6
03-23-2013, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by urrforce
i have a question for the cars/drivers who qualified in the top 10 on say a non wet weather tire and the race starts in a downpour would those teams be allowed to change to and start on rain tires or do they have to tough it out for a few laps until pits are open to swap?

yes, they can start on wets/inters it's safety thing.

Cos
03-23-2013, 04:25 PM

Unknown303
03-23-2013, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by Cos
Wow that was crazy. Almost out in Q1 to pole. Good for Ferrari, they are starting to grow on me.

I think you meant to say Vettel is growing on you.

Cos
03-23-2013, 04:36 PM

Unknown303
03-23-2013, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by Cos

Nope he isn't. Hate him more than ever. Lol

Your hate only makes him grow stronger.

cycosis
03-23-2013, 06:28 PM
^haha

urrforce
03-23-2013, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by 93VR6

yes, they can start on wets/inters it's safety thing.

oh ok thanks

Chris Elyea
03-24-2013, 02:08 AM
Alonso - WTF?

roll_over
03-24-2013, 02:15 AM
Originally posted by Chris Elyea
Alonso - WTF?

that was funny

ready for a pit

rage2
03-24-2013, 02:55 AM
Vettel is such a baby. And people wonder why there are so many haters. :rofl:

roll_over
03-24-2013, 03:12 AM
this is turning out to be a very entertaining race

rage2
03-24-2013, 03:31 AM
Horner and Newey not happy at all with Vettel lol. Too bad they didn't take each other out like in Turkey. Fucking Mercedes, Rosberg is much faster than Hamilton, but the team won't let him pass. :thumbsdow

Chris Elyea
03-24-2013, 03:53 AM
Post-race could be more interesting than the race! Going to be a fun next couple of weeks.

DJ Lazy
03-24-2013, 03:56 AM
Shit just got real in both the Red Bull and Mercedes camps. :nut:

rage2
03-24-2013, 04:12 AM
You have Vettel disobeying team orders and Rosberg following team orders. Hamilton feels the podium belongs to Rosberg. I'd say things are fine at Mercedes. Honestly, I think the team made a mistake, as Rosberg has been faster throughout testing and the first 2 races.

Another McLaren disappointment. A pity, as Button showed awesome pace today.

DJ Lazy
03-24-2013, 04:18 AM
I think the Mercs were pretty closely matched in the race until Hamilton had to start saving fuel. It was the team faults for under fueling and I don't think they wanted to strip Hami of the podium for their mistake. (Or hamilton has a clause in his contract as was suggested by Brundle). :dunno:

Looking forward to the news headlines regarding RBR in the next couple days.

bart
03-24-2013, 07:27 AM
best part of the race was the drink room haha

lilmira
03-24-2013, 08:27 AM
For some reason I thought Ham was going to pull into the wrong pit and he did lol.

Mibz
03-24-2013, 10:10 AM
I'm surprised by Hamilton's maturity, and equally surprised at Vettel's immaturity. Ignoring team orders is expected from him, but the weaving before the checkered flag? Jesus Christ. The kid is a piece of shit, there's nothing else to say. I hope the team does something blatant and public to put him in his place. Despite the radio whining and post-race comments, props to Rosberg and Webber for being the bigger men today. This race made it a lot easier for me to want Mercedes as a whole to do well.

Button thinks a podium was possible. I think he's delusional.

I found myself cheering for Massa to pass Grosjean. Checking myself into hospital shortly.

ganesh
03-24-2013, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by rage2
+1
He is showing his true colors finally.

AaronK
03-24-2013, 10:42 AM
Shit got real between Webber and Vettel.

n1zm0
03-24-2013, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by lilmira
For some reason I thought Ham was going to pull into the wrong pit and he did lol.

at first I thought it was completely normal, apparently I also forgot for a moment who he drives for now.

ottamania
03-24-2013, 11:08 AM

+2
Webber was pissed as hell at the end. As horner said, it was just silly of vettel.

bart
03-24-2013, 11:17 AM
jbb3tYcyRvw

0z51QddEkkg

cloud7
03-24-2013, 11:36 AM
Vettel, a driver that benefited so much from team orders in the past, ignoring team orders is unacceptable. He may be fast, but he is no where near as good of a team player as his teammate and much less mature.

speedog
03-24-2013, 11:44 AM
Am not a follower of F1 by any means, but how has it come to be in that form of motor sport that as a competitor that you are not to strive for the win?

lilmira
03-24-2013, 11:50 AM
The tension made it very awkward between vet and web at the end, almost as bad as Prost and Senna. It's always tough to have teammates competing with each other when there's a risk of them taking each other out. More drama for the audience lol.

Xtrema
03-24-2013, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by lilmira

http://i.minus.com/ibafRcqRzsscVO.gif

urrforce
03-24-2013, 11:59 AM
exciting race a lot of action and drama which is exciting for someone learning the sport like i am lol

rage2
03-24-2013, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by speedog
Am not a follower of F1 by any means, but how has it come to be in that form of motor sport that as a competitor that you are not to strive for the win?
It's because it's a team sport as well as an individual sport. It's the 2nd race of the season and points are important for the constructors championship, which determines how big your piece of the pie is for year end revenues. Something like $50m separates 1st and 2nd. If you let teammates fight it out, there's a risk that instead of coming home with 43 points, they'll come back with 0 crashing each other out. Teams are more likely to let the drivers battle it out near the end of the season.

Google red bull turkey 2010.

EK 2.0
03-24-2013, 12:50 PM
Hi, good afternoon....Vettel "superfan" checking in...

Yeah, I am still a Vettel fan...and I know he is hated by a lot of people, and a good chunk of F1 fans on beyond...

Man, Webber should have had that race...Webber had a great start and drove a very clean race, had great pit stops I think he fastest was what 2.5 seconds??...Yeah, racing is racing but Vettel was stupid, for risking both the RB9's, in the process for his "win"...I have NO idea what he was thinking. Webber, had that race, it should have been his...

Force India, feel bad for them after they great showing they had in Australia...

Hamilton, Mercedes and Rosberg ran a great race...good for them they had great cars this weekend!!...

speedog
03-24-2013, 12:59 PM

It's because it's a team sport as well as an individual sport. It's the 2nd race of the season and points are important for the constructors championship, which determines how big your piece of the pie is for year end revenues. Something like $50m separates 1st and 2nd. If you let teammates fight it out, there's a risk that instead of coming home with 43 points, they'll come back with 0 crashing each other out. Teams are more likely to let the drivers battle it out near the end of the season.

Google red bull turkey 2010.

Very odd. There are teams in many other forms of motor sport as well and I don't recall team orders ever being as paramount to follow as it would appear to be in F1 - must be extremely difficult to hold back knowing that you, as a driver, possibly have the better combination to finish higher than your team mate in a certain race.

Deliberately finishing in a certain position due to team orders is akin to some fan and media people's calls for the Calgary Flames to possibly start playing in a certain fashion so as to better their odds in the upcoming draft - how difficult that must be a competitive athlete to be expected to perform at less than one's abilities?.

Cos
03-24-2013, 01:50 PM

phreezee
03-24-2013, 03:32 PM
Multi-21 Seb! :rofl:

I got so many laughs out of this race. I love F1! :clap:

The track went from green to rubbered in with showers everyday, couldn't tell who would win even after qualifying. Enjoyed the weekend thoroughly.

Button and Force India deserved better. :thumbsup: to Rosberg.

93VR6
03-24-2013, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by Cos
Same with Vettel/Webber. To me it seems that Vettel did exactly what Rosberg COULD have done but didnt. +500 respect for Rosberg today. I hope that they give him a chance to win one time.

Interesting, I thought the exact opposite. Vettel had the faster car and made the pass, I don't see why he should have given that race to Webber. Rosberg could and should have blown by Hamilton, I lost respect for him for not being a true competitor. I understand team orders are what they are but I still hate them, let the racers race.

bart
03-24-2013, 03:37 PM
best comment evaaaaaaaaaa hahahahahahahaha

re:silverstone 2010

Red Bull gives you wings.
Red Bull Racing gives you someone else's wing.

DJ Lazy
03-24-2013, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by 93VR6

Interesting, I thought the exact opposite. Vettel had the faster car and made the pass, I don't see why he should have given that race to Webber. Rosberg could and should have blown by Hamilton, I lost respect for him for not being a true competitor. I understand team orders are what they are but I still hate them, let the racers race.

Vettel was "faster" because Webber had turned his engine down per the TEAMS request. They requested this of Vettel too but he ignored them.

Cos
03-24-2013, 04:17 PM

Mibz
03-24-2013, 04:29 PM
Today I learned that acting like a child and defying your superiors is being a true competitor.

Unknown303
03-24-2013, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by Mibz
Today I learned that acting like a child and defying your superiors is being a true competitor.

Damn right, he fought to the bitter end.

cycosis
03-24-2013, 06:31 PM
AT first I was blown away by Seb's comment to try to get the team to order Webber to move over so he could pass. Then I cheered like mad during the battle when Seb passed Webber as I figured he could back up his sarcastic Deutsch ass with performance, only to be disappointed when I found out Webber had turned down his engine. Completely uncalled for. haha the tension was killing me. That was the saddest podium i have seen in the 5 years I've been following the sport.

Has Alonso explained why the hell he didn't pit with his screwed up front wing???

Mibz
03-24-2013, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by cycosis

Has Alonso explained why the hell he didn't pit with his screwed up front wing??? Ferrari said it was a team decision. They figured the wing would last until it was time to switch to slicks and told him to stay out.

lilmira
03-24-2013, 07:11 PM
Yeah, that was a pretty poor decision on Ferrari/Alonso. You can't expect to have that front wing hanging off one side only for a few laps. Even if the front wing didn't cause him to bail, it would have slowed him down big time after it came off and then he would still have to come in.

If it was the last race with a few laps left in a win-all situation, then yeah may be. I hope this doesn't bite them in the ass at the end of the season with a few points short of the championship.

It was pretty hilarious though that he was still fighting for position with sparks flying.

That.Guy.S30
03-24-2013, 08:35 PM
I was hoping Webber to deck the fool on the podium.

herragge
03-24-2013, 09:33 PM
Laughed uncontrollably when he slammed his drink down on the table. Hahaha.

Inzane
03-25-2013, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by phreezee
Multi-21 Seb!

I didn't catch the reference when he said that in the drink room. Was that referring to their engine settings?

Anyway, that was definitely a bitch move by Seb. The Malaysian GP was not his to win at that point in the race, but he felt he was entitled to take it anyway.

Too bad for Mark. It's unfortunate that he doesn't really have any other (better) offers for a team and a driving seat than where he is now, so I guess he's stuck living with his situation. Where else could he go?

I was so impressed with Hamilton. I used to be a hater but he has shown much more maturity lately (starting last season). He definitely set a positive example post race on Sunday. A stark contrast to Vettel.

rage2
03-25-2013, 09:19 AM
Multi-21 is RBR code for hold positions. The team dynamics is fucked. In Vettel's defense (I can't believe I'm defending him haha), Webber did the same thing to Vettel in Silverstone, tried to pass him even though the team issued a hold position call, except Webber couldn't make the pass stick. The team kept radioing Weber to hold positions, and he just ignored it with silence while attacking Vettel.

I need to grab a copy of the RBR Maylasia radio recordings to confirm, but from what I read, RBR gave Webber shit for defending so hard and reassured him of the Multi-21. He was told to stop fighting, which is how Vettel cruised right past him easily. If Webber didn't listen to that call, we might've seen another Turkey hahaha. Webber was defending really hard, I don't think Vettel could've gotten past if Webber kept defending.

Mibz
03-25-2013, 09:52 AM
That's not defending Vettel, it's just lowering Webber to the same level.

"But he did it to meeeeeee" isn't justification for either, it just makes both of them retarded.

94boosted
03-25-2013, 09:58 AM
:thumbsup: Webber & Rosberg
:thumbsdow Vettel & Hamilton

Too bad for Force India they looked promissing.

Webber did the same thing to Vettel in Silverstone, tried to pass him even though the team issued a hold position call, except Webber couldn't make the pass stick. The team kept radioing Weber to hold positions, and he just ignored it with silence while attacking Vettel.

Really? Was that last year?

DJ Lazy
03-25-2013, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by 94boosted
:thumbsup: Webber & Rosberg
:thumbsdow Vettel & Hamilton

You're gonna have to explain this? How is Hamilton getting a thumbs down in your opinion?

Inzane
03-25-2013, 10:13 AM
I need to grab a copy of the RBR Maylasia radio recordings to confirm, but from what I read, RBR gave Webber shit for defending so hard and reassured him of the Multi-21. He was told to stop fighting, which is how Vettel cruised right past him easily. If Webber didn't listen to that call, we might've seen another Turkey hahaha. Webber was defending really hard, I don't think Vettel could've gotten past if Webber kept defending.

Sonofa.... bitch!!

94boosted
03-25-2013, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by DJ Lazy

You're gonna have to explain this? How is Hamilton getting a thumbs down in your opinion?

Firstly I don't like him so that's an auto thumbs down :D

IMO he didn't deserve the podium, he should of persuaded Rosberg to pass (yes I know, team orders were to hold) but it was very clear that Rosberg was faster, who knows just how much faster, perhaps enough to catch up to Webber :dunno: and then the whole pulling into the McLaren pit incident.

Just my $0.02

Mibz
03-25-2013, 10:50 AM
How would he "persuade" Rosberg to pass without doing something dangerous and/or against team orders? Are you saying that you fault Vettel for disobeying orders but also fault Hamilton for sticking to them?

Nobody's arguing that he didn't deserve the podium and I don't think any of us really know why he was left in front, but it certainly wasn't his fault and, IMO, he handled the situation about as well as he could have.

As for speculating on how much faster Rosberg could have been, that's the team's call, not Hamilton's. If you want to give somebody a thumbs down for the decision, look at Brawn.

EDIT: This post came out a lot harsher than I meant it to be, I promise, haha.

DJ Lazy
03-25-2013, 10:59 AM
Did you not watch the podium boosted? Hamilton himself on international TV said that Nico was the one who should be on the podium and that being up there didn't feel right. He was up there to represent the team.

Brawn wanted both cars to finish as they were, not risk running out tires trying to chase down the Bulls, run out of fuel on both cars, etc. It was the teams decision to hold position, both drivers knew this and obeyed the call, unlike the Bulls.

lilmira
03-25-2013, 11:27 AM
May be Vet was trying to engage slingshot, I'm cool with that.

94boosted
03-25-2013, 11:32 AM
How would he "persuade" Rosberg to pass without doing something dangerous and/or against team orders? Are you saying that you fault Vettel for disobeying orders but also fault Hamilton for sticking to them?

Nobody's arguing that he didn't deserve the podium and I don't think any of us really know why he was left in front, but it certainly wasn't his fault and, IMO, he handled the situation about as well as he could have.

As for speculating on how much faster Rosberg could have been, that's the team's call, not Hamilton's. If you want to give somebody a thumbs down for the decision, look at Brawn.

EDIT: This post came out a lot harsher than I meant it to be, I promise, haha.

Valid point Mibz, by "Persuade" I mean a simple radio to the team saying "hey guys Nico is faster can I let him pass?", maybe he did, who knows. I suppose it is Brawn that deserves the thumbs down more so than Hamilton. My bad.

Team orders are a whole different story but what Vettel did was reckless, he could of easily caused both Red Bulls to crash out with his selfish pass.

Did you not watch the podium boosted? Hamilton himself on international TV said that Nico was the one who should be on the podium and that being up there didn't feel right. He was up there to represent the team.

Brawn wanted both cars to finish as they were, not risk running out tires trying to chase down the Bulls, run out of fuel on both cars, etc. It was the teams decision to hold position, both drivers knew this and obeyed the call, unlike the Bulls.

I stopped watching after the water/break room, but if Hamilton said that then props to him.

triplep
03-25-2013, 11:35 AM
I am confused? I am not defending what Vettel did, but if we were all watching the same race, didn't Webber almost run Vettel into the wall during the pass?

Tomaz
03-25-2013, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by triplep
I am confused? I am not defending what Vettel did, but if we were all watching the same race, didn't Webber almost run Vettel into the wall during the pass?

It was more like a friendly "fuck off/oops, didn't see you there jackass :rolleyes: " instead of pushing Vettel into the wall. I dont blame him either. Fucker didn't tune down his engine, and was being a spoiled brat about it. I cant lie, I really enjoyed watching the battle of the RBR cars. But looking back, that was just too ballsy for just having the benefit of 1st. I thought webber was the better driver in that one. He did very well in holding vettel at bay for being de-tuned.

I have to say, Hamilton has been humbled somehow and its refreshing to see. As much as he loves winning, he loves deserving the win more, and that showed in the interview. Smart move by Mercedes IMO.

rage2
03-25-2013, 01:21 PM
Rosberg was faster than Hamilton but couldn't pass him. Hamilton kept taking the position back at the next corner. They actually passed each other back and forth for 2 laps. Brawn called it off because they both would've run out of fuel battling each other till the end.

DJ Lazy
03-25-2013, 01:29 PM
Rosberg was faster than Hamilton but couldn't pass him. Hamilton kept taking the position back at the next corner. They actually passed each other back and forth for 2 laps. Brawn called it off because they both would've run out of fuel battling each other till the end.

Now that I think about it... Rosberg made multiple mistakes when overtaking Hamilton. He always passed Hami before the last hairpin which always gave Hami DRS down the main straight. If Rosberg would have held off passing and just got close going into the hairpin he would have had the luxury of DRS down the straight and the next of the lap to pull a bit of a gap and possibly claim the 3rd step on the podium BEFORE Brawn called it quits after the 2-3 laps they swapped position down the 2 straights.

One could say Rosberg shot himself in the foot with his own choices of overtake location.

Kramerica
03-25-2013, 04:17 PM
I have a feeling Vettel is going to hand Webber a token win later on in the season if he has the Driver's championship wrapped up.

Damage has been done now though, Red Bull have now become Vettel's team and they're going to have to deal with the negative PR associated with that. He called their bluff and they didn't do anything about it and I'd be surprised if they do anything about it in the future. If I was Webber I'd monitor Massa and Perez's progress closely and look at getting a contract in place as soon as the opportunity arises. He can't be happy, he should be tied for lead in the driver's championship right now and instead he's 3rd.

DJ Lazy
03-25-2013, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by Kramerica
I have a feeling Vettel is going to hand Webber a token win later on in the season if he has the Driver's championship wrapped up.

Damage has been done now though, Red Bull have now become Vettel's team and they're going to have to deal with the negative PR associated with that. He called their bluff and they didn't do anything about it and I'd be surprised if they do anything about it in the future. If I was Webber I'd monitor Massa and Perez's progress closely and look at getting a contract in place as soon as the opportunity arises. He can't be happy, he should be tied for lead in the driver's championship right now and instead he's 3rd.

If I were Webber, I'd seriously be thinking about switching teams or retiring... He's never going to get equal treatment in the team as long as Vettel is there. Unless of course he has accepted the fact that he is the #2 and has no hope of winning the championship with a team that has 6 World Titles to its name in 3 years... none of them being his.

I called it! :rofl:

Kramerica
03-25-2013, 04:30 PM
I called it! :rofl:

Definitely ;) . Like I said he's a modern day Mansell. If I was him from here on in I'd just blame every poor start and break down on Red Bull and have a free pass. He's gotta start marketing a little, its clear Red Bull is a dead end.

boi-alien
03-25-2013, 04:59 PM
i would have liked it more if Vettel straight up said, "Yes I passed him, I'm a racing driver and I'm being paid to race, so I raced,"

Instead he comes out with his insincere apology, just make him look like a little bitch

cycosis
03-25-2013, 05:58 PM
^I agree with where you're coming from but that wouldn't help mend the immense tension in the garage, only add to it. It would have been a more legitimate comment had Webber not been ordered to make adjustments to his engine. You can see on Vettel's face during the pre podium discussion his realization that what he did was not good in the eyes of his bosses, team, team mate. I think we'd like to think of him as becoming tougher but that certainly isn't a reality.

I don't understand what Vettel is trying to communicate when he keeps saying "he didn't mean to" in regards to the pass. Uh... sure......

Mibz
03-26-2013, 06:32 AM
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/106393

Not that I respect anything Flavio says, but I had a great time reading that.

CapnCrunch
03-26-2013, 07:39 AM
I love how everyone thinks this guy should apologize for winning the race. I think Webber is a bitch for not trying to take the lead back.

That would have been an awesome battle, even more so if Rosberg wasn't a bitch and was allowed to catch up.

Inzane
03-26-2013, 08:39 AM
^ The whole point of the team orders in the first place was to prevent a "battle" between teammates that could risk taking out both cars. (or running out of fuel)

CapnCrunch
03-26-2013, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by Inzane
^ The whole point of the team orders in the first place was to prevent a "battle" between teammates that could risk taking out both cars. (or running out of fuel)

That would have been way more exciting.

rage2
03-26-2013, 09:22 AM
Yup, way more exciting for us for sure.

kkXYROv1RPs

Too bad that's an expensive mistake for the team hahaha.

lilmira
03-26-2013, 09:36 AM
There is always going to be conflict of interest between the individual driver and the team. Getting rid of it completely? One car one team, ain't gonna happen.

Inzane
03-26-2013, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by CapnCrunch
That would have been way more exciting.

Sure, but this isn't NASCAR.

When spectacular crashes become the norm in open wheel racing, people tend to die.

I'll take safety of the drivers first, entertainment value second.

BTW, I'm not saying battles are bad and shouldn't happen. I'm just saying in the specific example of Vettel vs. Webber I'm sure the team was thinking there was a higher likelihood there of a double DNF than a battle between Grosjean vs. Maldonado. :nut:

Mibz
03-26-2013, 11:40 AM
I'm sure the team was thinking there was a higher likelihood there of a double DNF than a battle between Grosjean vs. Maldonado. :nut: Zing!

CapnCrunch
03-26-2013, 12:19 PM

Sure, but this isn't NASCAR.

When spectacular crashes become the norm in open wheel racing, people tend to die.

I'll take safety of the drivers first, entertainment value second.

BTW, I'm not saying battles are bad and shouldn't happen. I'm just saying in the specific example of Vettel vs. Webber I'm sure the team was thinking there was a higher likelihood there of a double DNF than a battle between Grosjean vs. Maldonado. :nut:

Maybe they could just determine who wins the championship before teh season starts and then spend the season touring the world doing parade laps at all of the different tracks? Vettel vs Webber was the best part of that race.

cloud7
03-26-2013, 12:47 PM
I don't know if everyone saw the footage soon after the finish line when Webber cut in front of Vettel and then sped off... That's as NASCAR as it's gonna get... (correction: Maldonado is as close to NASCAR as it's gonna get).

http://youtu.be/ykG06ixh92c

Kramerica
03-26-2013, 01:09 PM
Just thought of something and looked it up to confirm. Since Vettel has moved to Red Bull he has won a race before Webber every season. Maybe Vettel's ego couldn't handle Webber winning first.

urrforce
03-26-2013, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by cloud7
I don't know if everyone saw the footage soon after the finish line when Webber cut in front of Vettel and then sped off... That's as NASCAR as it's gonna get... (correction: Maldonado is as close to NASCAR as it's gonna get).

http://youtu.be/ykG06ixh92c

fixed your link

ykG06ixh92c

Inzane
03-26-2013, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by Kramerica
Maybe Vettel's ego couldn't handle Webber winning first.

I don't doubt that factored in there somewhere.

There were race weekends over the last couple seasons where Vettel seemed to pout if he didn't get his "hat trick" of pole, win AND fastest lap.

Inzane
03-26-2013, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by CapnCrunch
Maybe they could just determine who wins the championship before teh season starts and then spend the season touring the world doing parade laps at all of the different tracks? Vettel vs Webber was the best part of that race.

Sarcasm noted.

Again, Red Bull had their 43 points in the bag. Why would they risk everything when the team had nothing to gain by the P1-P2 reversal?

Unless Vettel ends up winning the WDC by less than 8 points at the end of the season people will go whew good thing he was a DICK back in Malaysia.

kdwebber
03-27-2013, 03:46 PM

Sarcasm noted.

Again, Red Bull had their 43 points in the bag. Why would they risk everything when the team had nothing to gain by the P1-P2 reversal?

Unless Vettel ends up winning the WDC by less than 8 points at the end of the season people will go whew good thing he was a DICK back in Malaysia.

It has nothing to do with the risk associated with a 1-2 reversal because the risk of contact is minimal. It has more to do with alienating Mark Webber because RB realizes they need Webber to win the WCC.

rage2
03-27-2013, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by kdwebber
It has nothing to do with the risk associated with a 1-2 reversal because the risk of contact is minimal. It has more to do with alienating Mark Webber because RB realizes they need Webber to win the WCC.
Risk of contact is minimal? Did you watch the race? There were some close calls there.

kdwebber
03-28-2013, 01:58 AM

Risk of contact is minimal? Did you watch the race? There were some close calls there.

I'm talking about a Ferrari style 1-2 reversal, which would be straightforward and simple. RBR didn't go this route because they know that they need a motivated Webber to clinch the WCC.

Inzane
03-28-2013, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by kdwebber
I'm talking about a Ferrari style 1-2 reversal, which would be straightforward and simple. RBR didn't go this route because they know that they need a motivated Webber to clinch the WCC.

What it sounds like you're talking about is RBR ordering one driver to let the other past. That's different than a few posts back where people were suggesting they wanted to see the two drivers fight it out.

Why would they do that? Vettel was not faster in the race on sunday overall, as far as I recall. Webber had won that race. It was in the bag. And it's too early in a season for a team to fully back one driver over the other so there was no reason to re-engineer the win to go to Vettel.

kdwebber
03-29-2013, 09:27 PM

What it sounds like you're talking about is RBR ordering one driver to let the other past. That's different than a few posts back where people were suggesting they wanted to see the two drivers fight it out.

Why would they do that? Vettel was not faster in the race on sunday overall, as far as I recall. Webber had won that race. It was in the bag. And it's too early in a season for a team to fully back one driver over the other so there was no reason to re-engineer the win to go to Vettel.

Vettel was actually faster overall in both the race on Sunday and qualifying. Vettel had managed to save a fresh set of medium tires for the final stint while Webber was on a scrubbed set. I can't take credit for this post but it reflects the situation pretty accurately.

"Horner just supported everything I have been posting over the last few days. The only new information is that we know Vettel was on new tires he saved from qualifying. This, however, just further supports my point that the only entity who screwed up here and caused a "major" controversy is The Team.
1) RBR is proud of not having team orders (proven by the occasional fierce battle between the two drivers)
2) Why the hell RBR, then, tried to impose one now is beyond my comprehension
3) Especially since the difference between the two cars at the completion of the last pit stop was no more than a half car length
4) Especially since Vettel was on brand new tires while Mark was on worn tires he took on earlier than Vettel took on the new ones
5) Especially when Webber's position was the result of a later pit stop to get him off the intermediates and
6) Especially since throughout the race after Mark shed the intermediates, Vettel was quicker catching up with Mark from the disadvantage he got into by changing to slicks sooner
7) If RBR wanted to impose a team order, they should have imposed one that would have let Seb pass Mark, not because Seb is Seb and Mark is Mark, but because Seb was faster and on new tires
8) The way the team wanted to handle this seemed to punish Vettel for being able to earn a pole position while also managing to save a brand new set of tires and being faster in the race, positioning himself for finishing even faster at the end.

The fact that RBR was ready to protect Mark's position at the lead just proves that there is really no team orders that would grant Vettel the number one status (but again this should have already been clear to every non-Ferrari fan from the way Mark has been hindering, sometimes downright endangering, Vettel without a real consequence throughout the years).

And just one final opinion: This whole screwed-up controversy, situation, is the result of F1's and Pirelli's fucke d-up tire policy that renders the last 1/3rd of a GP meaningless because teams are commanding their drivers to slow down, stop racing, protect their tires for the fear of being ridiculed for finishing the race on wheels without tires while seeing Marussia cruising by toward the checkered flag because their cars are so inferior that there is no chance for them to ruin the shitty tires."

urrforce
04-01-2013, 11:07 AM
april fool's joke or not lol

vettel to toro rosso for one race (http://www.yallaf1.com/2013/04/01/red-bull-punish-vettel-by-demoting-him-to-toro-rosso-for-chinese-gp/)

Mibz
04-01-2013, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by urrforce
april fool's joke or not lol

vettel to toro rosso for one race (http://www.yallaf1.com/2013/04/01/red-bull-punish-vettel-by-demoting-him-to-toro-rosso-for-chinese-gp/) LOL @ the pic of Ricciardo and Webber touching wieners.

DJ Lazy
04-01-2013, 12:08 PM
LOL.. If only it were true!

lilmira
04-01-2013, 04:51 PM
:rofl: I like the pic with Schumi.

Mibz
04-11-2013, 09:00 AM
So not only does Vettel say "I'd probably do it again", but Red Bull is abandoning team orders to avoid this happening again.

http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpass_news_item.php?fes_art_id=48796

I wonder what they'll do if Turkey happens again :P

rage2
04-11-2013, 09:08 AM
I know what I'll do. Stand up and slow clap.

ottamania
04-11-2013, 09:13 AM
it'll happen again for sure. I hope either Alonso or Hamilton will be there to take advantage.

ganesh
04-11-2013, 09:19 AM
So not only does Vettel say "I'd probably do it again", but Red Bull is abandoning team orders to avoid this happening again.

http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpass_news_item.php?fes_art_id=48796

I wonder what they'll do if Turkey happens again :P

He is showing his true colors. Awesome.

Mibz
04-11-2013, 09:25 AM
I'm excited to see what Flavio says about this. I think "removing" team orders is just proof that Horner has no control over Vettel (or Webber from here on out) and this way it's not on him when one or both of his drivers cause an incident with each other. Red Bull can just point the finger at Webber every time and either say "Sebastian was faster" or "Webber shouldn't have defended so hard".

Does Horner have kids? I'd love to see how he deals with them if one steals the others toy and he says "Give it back" but the kid doesn't.

"Alright, nobody owns any more toys. If you want to have a toy, you have to fight for it, but try not to hurt each other."