PDA

View Full Version : Jamaica..couple of questions

eblend
03-23-2013, 09:24 AM
Hey guys,

Going to Jamaica for a week at the end of June, this is my first time going there so don't really know the norm.

I will be staying in an all inclusive at Runaway Bay.

I assume USD is good for most things, or do I have to exchange for local currency?

Tipping...is it very similar to Mexico...$1-$2 for most small things?

What to do there that's fun? When we go to Mexico we would usually go on some excursion, buggies, ziplines, river floats, anything that anyone recommend in Jamaica?

Any help and advice is appreciated.

jdmakkord
03-23-2013, 11:32 AM
USD is the norm in Jamaica. You will find a lot of the same type of excursions and activities. Zip lining, ATV tours, Catamaran cruises etc. Depending on your resort, a lot of these can likely be booked direct with your concierge or destination rep. What hotel are you staying at? and what tour operator did you book through?

Amysicle
03-23-2013, 12:10 PM
USD is king.

We usually stay in Negril but it looks like you'll be staying near Ocho Rios so you should go to Dunn's Falls at least the first time.

I found it to be similar to Mexico only more laid back. It's wonderful! Have fun.

95EG6P
03-23-2013, 12:27 PM
Go to the lumines lagoon it is where fresh water and salt water meet and there is a micro organism that is there and when it get adjectated it glows it is one of the best things I have ever seen. U can see fishes swimming leaving trails and it glows. It is a tour I payed 20 usd for it and it is only during the night time. Enjoy Jamaica it is one of the best places I have been and the tour was like in montago bay

eblend
03-23-2013, 06:02 PM
We are staying at Luxury Bahia Principe Runaway Bay.

I am a member of the Bahia Privilage club so we just booked through them directly for the hotel and airport transfer, and with WestJet for the flights themselves.

Thanks for the info guys. Are the prices similar to Mexico there, can I tip similar amounts for services, or more?

cancer man
03-24-2013, 09:45 AM
Jamaica is beautifull but half the scumbag population should be exterminated.Watch out for the scams and police corruption.
Other than that have a good time and don't drink to the point of passing out.

SR54RNR
03-24-2013, 10:47 AM
I used the forums on Trip Advisor to help plan out our latest trip, to St. Maarten. Thanks to all the info I got on that forum, we didnt miss a thing on that island.

I found the runaway bay forum for you:

http://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowForum-g147317-i178-Runaway_Bay_Saint_Ann_Parish_Jamaica.html

you'll probably find answers to all your questions there

2Legit2Quit
03-25-2013, 08:28 AM
Good info, I'm going mid May for a wedding, staying at the Gran Bahia Principe, my first time in Jamaica

cgyITguy
03-25-2013, 08:45 AM
What you're gunna want to do is take a trip to a little place called Hedonism II, you will never want to leave :poosie: ;)

darthVWader
03-25-2013, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by cgyITguy
What you're gunna want to do is take a trip to a little place called Hedonism II, you will never want to leave :poosie: ;)

X2 :D

Lex350
03-25-2013, 09:19 AM
Bullshit, Bullshit, Bullshit......do not pay in USD unless you like to pay more than you should. Pay in Jamacian dollars.