PDA

View Full Version : Entry level acct (need help/advice)

noob1.0
03-23-2013, 02:54 PM
I'm hoping you guys will help/give me good advice. I'm currently first year business student (will major in acct). Initial plan was (and still is) to work in construction during this summer (since i have exp, i'll make decent money before fall semester). In the last month or so, i have ran into about 3 students who currently have acct related entry level jobs and are taking evening classes. Now, i have been thinking of going this route myself.

So, i really want to find a part-time entry-level job where i can gain real world experience. I absolutely don't care about wage!! Working in construction will take care of this. Goal is to turn part-time job into full-time by fall semester.

Any advice how to find a part-time job or since they are quit a few accountants on this forum. Do you guys know of any positions? or any way you can help me?

thanks

EG6boi
03-24-2013, 01:01 AM
My buddy worked at a construction company (his dad's a foreman) and he asked for a part-time position as an accounts payable clerk. He ended up getting the job and he has gained valuable experience that he can put on his resume. Maybe look into that? :dunno:

woodywoodford
03-24-2013, 02:14 AM
Lots of companies will have no problem hiring you as a summer student or part time. All you'd do is basically be a file clerk in AP/AR, but if you can commit they'll gladly help you out. We've got 2 kids doing that with us right now.

noob1.0
03-25-2013, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by woodywoodford
Lots of companies will have no problem hiring you as a summer student or part time. All you'd do is basically be a file clerk in AP/AR, but if you can commit they'll gladly help you out. We've got 2 kids doing that with us right now.

Man, i can't even find one company!! Every company/ad i have applied, they all want some experience. if you or anybody else know where i can get a opportunity please pm me. Of course, i'll commit, been trying so hard to get some experience.

403ep3
03-25-2013, 09:24 PM
It's a tough market when you have absolutely no accounting experience. Look for filing or mail clerks and try to work your way up from there. I finished my degree in accounting and didn't bother having an accounting job before I graduated. My suggestion is to FIND AN ACCOUNTING(something office) before you finish your degree. I have a job now but it was a tough find

Myrrinda
03-26-2013, 08:46 AM
I had no accounting experience either before I graduated. If you're planning on going the CA route, you don't need experience anyway. A few people I started with had worked as summer students after their 2nd or 3rd year, either at the firm or at an oil & gas company. If I were you, I'd wait until September and then start applying to the major firms to get in as a summer student for next summer. Usually summer students are guaranteed for full time positions once they graduate, and summer students do pretty much dick all, still get vacation time, and still get paid the same as a new associate. They also make friends for life, and it's a great way to start networking early in your career.

Edit: Maybe it would help if we knew what your plan is after graduation. Are you planning to do a designation? If so, which one? My advice is based on the assumption you want to do your CA.

secol
03-26-2013, 10:09 AM
at this point he'd have no choice but to go after the CPA aftre he's done uni

cream
03-26-2013, 10:09 AM
^
FYI, CA is no more. It will be a CPA unless you finish by December 2013.

Myrrinda
03-26-2013, 01:00 PM
Oh yeah. I blocked that out of my memory.

bob9979
03-27-2013, 02:17 PM
I have my Bcom acct degree without any accounting exp before graduated. Now I'm working a boring ass data entry position(contract) in a retail company. I don't think there's any possibilities this will turn into full time position because there's not much work(maybe I type too quickly?) and they are downsizing. I feel frustrated everyday because I'm supervised by an overweight middle age lady who keeps talking gossips and knows nothing about computer other than typing the keyboard...
Since when an entry level account payable position needs 3+ yrs of experience?
OP if you don't want a miserable life like me try your best to find something related to accounting when you're still in school...or think twice because you may not be aware of how many accounting students are looking for jobs out there.

Myrrinda
03-27-2013, 05:15 PM
Bob9979, did you not do a designation? There are tons of jobs out there if you have a designation...there's a reason that every December at the accounting firms when people find out they've passed the UFE, they suddenly leave the company. It's because they move in to industry where there are plenty of jobs waiting for them.

It comes down to what the OP's plans are after graduation. Do you plan to do a designation? If not, then you might have a much harder time finding a job without experience.

bob9979
03-27-2013, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by Myrrinda
Bob9979, did you not do a designation? There are tons of jobs out there if you have a designation...there's a reason that every December at the accounting firms when people find out they've passed the UFE, they suddenly leave the company. It's because they move in to industry where there are plenty of jobs waiting for them.

It comes down to what the OP's plans are after graduation. Do you plan to do a designation? If not, then you might have a much harder time finding a job without experience.

an accounting job is needed to get a designation.
if I can find an entry level one I won't be whining here...
in terms of CA you need to land a CATO job.
my degree is from an Ontario university(although is a CA program but I don't wanna do audit and become a CA). and things are a bit different here. In Ontario you only need to pass CKE and SOA before taking UFE. here you need to go through the 6 modules of CASB.
If I choose CGA I only need PA1&2, the rest can be transfered.
kinda regret taking a half year traveling after graduation. many of my classmates already passed UFE...
I have so much hate on accounting stuff now and I dont wanna do accounting for the rest of my life.

clem24
03-28-2013, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by bob9979

I have so much hate on accounting stuff now and I dont wanna do accounting for the rest of my life.

That's the beauty of the CA/CPA.. Your skills can be used/transferred to just about any kind of office roll. You can do a lot of data/financial modelling, forecasting, etc... Heck, my family doctor is a CA LOL.