PDA

View Full Version : Ford Trucks Thread WAS:EcoBoost Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52

freshprince1
03-24-2013, 09:29 AM
Thought I'd open an EcoBoost thread. I just picked up a 2011 XTR Lariat EcoBoost and am loving it.

I've started looking at some reasonable upgrades, came across this youtube video where they show a few at once...

xkqDDxsiCLE
Heart Throb Exhaust, AirRaid Intake, and a comp.

I'm tire shopping, as my unit is just finishing up its factory Pirelli Skorpions. Any suggestions for a decent set? I'd like them to be good for offroading for camping in the summer, but it'll still be onroad mileage mostly. I've been thinking of the BFGoodrich All-Terrain TA or Toyo MTs? Any thoughts?

Masked Bandit
03-25-2013, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by freshprince1
Thought I'd open an EcoBoost thread. I just picked up a 2011 XTR Lariat EcoBoost and am loving it.

I've started looking at some reasonable upgrades, came across this youtube video where they show a few at once...

xkqDDxsiCLE
Heart Throb Exhaust, AirRaid Intake, and a comp.

I'm tire shopping, as my unit is just finishing up its factory Pirelli Skorpions. Any suggestions for a decent set? I'd like them to be good for offroading for camping in the summer, but it'll still be onroad mileage mostly. I've been thinking of the BFGoodrich All-Terrain TA or Toyo MTs? Any thoughts?

I think you might be over-buying on tires. When I got my truck (23,xxx km) it had / still has BFG A/T TA and I hate them. Loud on the highway, shit in the winter / cool pavement, bad in the wet. I think they would be fine if I was on gravel roads and or mud but I'll never put these things on any truck I own. I had Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armours on one of my previous trucks and REALLY like those. I've also had the Nokian Vatiiva (sp?) and I wasn't a big fan (noticeable drop in fuel milage versus the Goodyear product).

spikerS
03-25-2013, 01:19 PM
I want the Hearthrob 3.5" dual exhaust setup. I am skipping the intake as it is not going to offer any performance improvements, but I think I will be sticking a K&N filter in the box.

Also looking at different chips / programmers. some are promising 120HP gains with a good intake and cat back system.

JRSC00LUDE
03-25-2013, 01:26 PM
Now we can start talking k&n vs. MAF again!

ercchry
03-25-2013, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by spikers
I want the Hearthrob 3.5" dual exhaust setup. I am skipping the intake as it is not going to offer any performance improvements, but I think I will be sticking a K&N filter in the box.

Also looking at different chips / programmers. some are promising 120HP gains with a good intake and cat back system.

:confused:

vengie
03-25-2013, 01:34 PM
Subscribed, I'm looking at buying myself a 2011/12 fx4 in August.

spikerS
03-25-2013, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by ercchry

:confused:

I know I contradicted myself, but it is more because I am confused myself. Everyone says that a CAI isn't going to get me any more power, and has better potential to rob power. But then these same people say that a good CAI will boost power...I dunno...

Then like that video shows a CAI and cat back and some decent gains, so I got no clue, but I am tending to believe that a CAI is of little, if any, benefit.

I am still researching it, so my opinion is still not formed on the CAI side, however, these programmers and such are all basing their numbers with a CAI, so who knows...not I.

ercchry
03-25-2013, 03:15 PM
CAI would be just an extension of the same diameter with a new filter to relocated where air is being pulled from... a new intake... from throttle body to filter will change how efficiently you draw in air... coupled with the tune (since you will be probably increasing tube diameter) will increase power... more air in, more air out... more power... well, more efficient engine... which shows as more power on the dyno

ExtraSlow
03-26-2013, 05:58 AM
Back to the tires, I've had great luck with the Goodyear Wrangler SilentArmor. It handles dirt and snow pretty well. It's not a true off-road or MT tire, but for me, a great choice when the majority of the miles will be on pavement. Some trucks come with Wrangler SRA tires from the factory. Those are junk on loose surfaces, purely a pavement/mileage tire.
I've heard good things about the BFG AT Revo, but I've never driven that tire.

As for the other "upgrades" I think there is limed meat on that bone. All these videos and reviews are from people who make a living selling you aftermarket parts. I like Stacey David, but it's not an unbiased opinion.

Cos
03-26-2013, 07:32 AM

ercchry
03-26-2013, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow

As for the other "upgrades" I think there is limed meat on that bone. All these videos and reviews are from people who make a living selling you aftermarket parts. I like Stacey David, but it's not an unbiased opinion.

its a turbo motor... make it breath and crank the boost. thats what they are doing... its been proven over and over again with... uh... every turbo car ever :nut:

redline
03-26-2013, 08:54 AM

I've heard good things about the BFG AT Revo, but I've never driven that tire.

I run these on my Titan, good overall tire, similar to what you are running, my only complaint is they dont last long.

Boosted131
03-26-2013, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by redline

I run these on my Titan, good overall tire, similar to what you are running, my only complaint is they dont last long. I had them last time , now I have the general grabber at2 which seems better and longer lasting. A lot more quiet too.

freshprince1
03-27-2013, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by spikers

Just ordered the HeartThrob Exhaust. Shipping to MT, as we'll be there next week. $570 including shipping. Looking forward to it!!

spikerS
03-27-2013, 10:55 AM

Just ordered the HeartThrob Exhaust. Shipping to MT, as we'll be there next week. $570 including shipping. Looking forward to it!!

/jealous

HiTempguy1
03-27-2013, 07:21 PM
For tires that you want for all seasons, there is only one way to go on a truck; Michelin LTX MS or MS/2.

They are the tire of all tires for all around overall use. Good grip, quiet, amazing wear, and useful year round.

freshprince1
03-28-2013, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by HiTempguy1
For tires that you want for all seasons, there is only one way to go on a truck; Michelin LTX MS or MS/2.

They are the tire of all tires for all around overall use. Good grip, quiet, amazing wear, and useful year round.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions on tires. Will probably pick some up in July when we head down to MT.

topsecret
03-28-2013, 10:52 AM
I run toyo open country a/t on my titan, good all season tire and they have a good wear life so far! I got them from Bob at Urban-X!

ps, nice truck I will be in the market for a new one come fall, I'll be following this thread for updates! Anyone I have talked to with an eco boost loves them and so far from what I have seen even guys with 100k + on the odometer haven't had any issues!

freshprince1
04-10-2013, 09:06 AM
Picked up the Heart Throb Exhaust over the weekend. Now just need to get it installed.

freshprince1
04-12-2013, 09:45 AM
Installed the Heart Throb Exhaust with a buddy's help last night. It went on pretty easy, took about 2.5 hours. The hardest part was getting the stock exhaust off.

Initial impressions are great. It sounds good. Looks fine...it's not "showy". It's actually one of the reasons I like this system; it's not very flashy, it's totally utilitarian.

I took some video's to record the before and after exhaust notes. I'll try to get them online soon. And, I can't wait to get it on the open road (in a safe area) and test out the performance! (while staying within the legal limits of course).

ercchry
06-24-2014, 10:28 AM
so, i ordered some bilstein 5100 struts, the height adjustable ones. goal is 35s... does anyone know with the max tow and hd payload packages... would i need blocks in the rear or do these trucks ride higher than the standard suspension trucks?

Maxx Mazda
06-24-2014, 03:17 PM
SCT 3015 tuner. You'll thank me later. +103ft lbs and 54HP with the 93 octane map. That's on an otherwise stock truck.

r3ccOs
07-03-2014, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by Maxx Mazda
SCT 3015 tuner. You'll thank me later. +103ft lbs and 54HP with the 93 octane map. That's on an otherwise stock truck.

Exhaust -- I just want a bit more sound and hopefully torque, and there are lots of options.
AFE has one online for $424 for a catback that I may pick up

Intake -- I've heard from not required to get a drop in, throttle body spacer or Stage 2 intake kits... again not sure if breathing is a issue with this truck (i don't think it is)

Leveling kit -- would a normal 2" steel one be fine or should we really go with biliestines? I can see if you are offroading and you want to gain 2" of travel, yes... otherwise you could crush your shock if you don't have bumpstops preventing all that weight from bottoming them off. I just want more height for looks.

ercchry
07-03-2014, 10:48 AM
the bilstein 5100s will give you a better handling truck and are adjustable... so you can dial it in for just the right amount of rake so it doesnt look like the ass is sagging with a load in the bed or while towing... they are also pretty cheap, so i'd say worth while... plus lifetime warranty

not really sure wtf you are going to crush...

also if or when i get around to tuning it, going to be sure to run motul, since all the failures on tuned trucks my j-man friend has seen have been mechanical failures.... and im also not going to screw around with a box tune. dyno only

if you flash it back to stock before service you should be fine if these are anything like the rest of ford's offerings

intake flows good, you can remove baffles though if you want more noise, exhaust is pretty plugged up though, but that goes all the way to the manifolds

parabs
07-05-2014, 11:56 PM
bilstein 5100's have a lifetime warranty but they require you to send in the effed shock/strut prior to giving the warranty. 35's are doable on the highest level lift on the 5100's, just watch the offset of your rims, especially if you have aftermarket. Use a lift shackle for the rear if you want to lift the rear, shackles will reduce axle hop vs using a bigger block.

Essex distributors out of BC has decent pricing on Bilstein (and H&R) products.

The goodyear wrangler duratrac is a good a/t tire that is studdable and is good in the winter. I have had great luck in with 2 different sets of them.

Check stage 3 out of the states, if you want a "better" level check the ICON stuff they sell, and if you are looking for warrantied performance packages including tunes, check this out:

http://www.stage3motorsports.com/2011-2013-F150-EcoBoost-Performance-Packages.html

brucebanner
07-06-2014, 07:53 AM
So has anyone picked up any exhaust? Thinking about it but not sure what direction I want to go.

r3ccOs
07-06-2014, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by bruceod
So has anyone picked up any exhaust? Thinking about it but not sure what direction I want to go.

just installed the AFE Mach Force 4"
Its loud, but not like what you'd think with a v8 or Diesel.

Doesn't sound as nice as a V8, and sounds more like a V6 mini-diesel w/ the boost noise.

As my truck only had about 1200k km, was easy to rip apart for this cat back system.

I just wanted more sound out of the truck and I've got it... may do the same with a afe Stage 2 intake as well..

What I don't want, is to jeopardize warranty or durability... I had a Injen intake on a SE-R before and I think the AEM cone filter destroyed my rings... I don't want anything happening to the veins on my impellers.

So maybe instead of the CAI or a drop in filter (which I've read as being not much better than OEM) is get that bolt on throttle body spacer... which should add more squeal to the turbo noise.

anyone do a leveling kit? I have the max tow, and my rear end is really high, but I don't want to cause any wear to my ball joints or CV shafts... would a 1.5 give me a good look?

p.s. I'm going for 275/70/18's to keep on stock rims, just so I get 34 inches but a fairly stock look.

Maxx Mazda
07-06-2014, 10:28 PM
The drop in is basically pointless, the stock intake isn't that restrictive and the oil from the K&N fucks with the MAF. I pulled out my intake silencers yesterday, didn't notice a power increase but the turbo woosh is much more noticeable now. Turned a few heads in traffic.

brandon
07-06-2014, 10:46 PM
Installed the Heart Throb Exhaust with a buddy's help last night. It went on pretty easy, took about 2.5 hours. The hardest part was getting the stock exhaust off.

Initial impressions are great. It sounds good. Looks fine...it's not "showy". It's actually one of the reasons I like this system; it's not very flashy, it's totally utilitarian.

I took some video's to record the before and after exhaust notes. I'll try to get them online soon. And, I can't wait to get it on the open road (in a safe area) and test out the performance! (while staying within the legal limits of course).

:dunno: :confused:

Waiting on this video! Been sitting on the fence on the heartthrob for a while, but I hear the drone while towing is quite loud in the cabin.

r3ccOs
07-07-2014, 08:07 AM
The drop in is basically pointless, the stock intake isn't that restrictive and the oil from the K&N fucks with the MAF. I pulled out my intake silencers yesterday, didn't notice a power increase but the turbo woosh is much more noticeable now. Turned a few heads in traffic.

are you talking about the snorkle? Or the fiberglass piece?

someone told me its a heatshield

r3ccOs
07-07-2014, 08:09 AM
Originally posted by brandon

:dunno: :confused:

Waiting on this video! Been sitting on the fence on the heartthrob for a while, but I hear the drone while towing is quite loud in the cabin.

I think out of the bunch for "cat back" the Corsa may sound the best.

I was lucky to hvae a truck with under 1k km, so it was 2 bolts by the cat, and one clamp, otherwise everything pulled right off the hanger.

to put on my AFE it was 2 bolts again, adn 2 clamps on the muffler, re-using the existing mounts.

"I removed all the hangers first, because they are a PITA to mount the muffler to, then hung them and tightened."

took me 15 mins to remove, and about 20 to put on.

Maxx Mazda
07-07-2014, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by r3ccOs

are you talking about the snorkle? Or the fiberglass piece?

someone told me its a heatshield

No. The intake silencers are these plastic "star" things in the intake tract designed to reduce turbo noise, but they cause a restriction. All in all 5 minutes to remove and all you need is a flathead screwdriver. Undo the three intake clamps, pull off the rubber accordion section of the intake, and look into each turbo inlet pipe. You'll see them in there, they just pull out.

Also lots of posts on the interwebs about this should you need pics.

r3ccOs
07-07-2014, 11:44 AM

No. The intake silencers are these plastic "star" things in the intake tract designed to reduce turbo noise, but they cause a restriction. All in all 5 minutes to remove and all you need is a flathead screwdriver. Undo the three intake clamps, pull off the rubber accordion section of the intake, and look into each turbo inlet pipe. You'll see them in there, they just pull out.

Also lots of posts on the interwebs about this should you need pics.

found the thread! thanks mate, I'll do that this evening.

So other than the SCT and this, have you done any other mods? not sure the intake really needs to be modded unless you're running quite a bit more boost... even with the modest 91 tune from SCT, I don't think we're going to need to get a AFE stage 2 or anything.

HiTempguy1
07-07-2014, 12:14 PM

I had a Injen intake on a SE-R before and I think the AEM cone filter destroyed my rings...

Just to go offtopic slightly, if you are referring to a Sentra, this was a known issue and has nothing to do with your intake. The cat in the header breaks up, gets sucked in the exhaust side of the head, and wrecks shit up.

Maxx Mazda
07-07-2014, 12:29 PM

found the thread! thanks mate, I'll do that this evening.

So other than the SCT and this, have you done any other mods? not sure the intake really needs to be modded unless you're running quite a bit more boost... even with the modest 91 tune from SCT, I don't think we're going to need to get a AFE stage 2 or anything.

I haven't been able to find any dyno results with JUST the intake done. Some "claim" 20HP, but an AFE stage 2 is close to $500. Why wouldn't I spend $380 for an extra 50HP and over 100lb/ft? Mopac and and JB's both have the SCT in stock, JB's was about $50 cheaper.

Maxx Mazda
07-07-2014, 12:34 PM
I know the exhaust is pretty corked up, I'm looking for a new one that won't break the bank and won't drone or sound like an old 3.1L Cavalier....

r3ccOs
07-07-2014, 12:47 PM
I know the exhaust is pretty corked up, I'm looking for a new one that won't break the bank and won't drone or sound like an old 3.1L Cavalier....

I don't mind my AFE... but there is definately a drone, but its not too loud, which I don't think will ever be a problem regardless of exhaust on our trucks.

I had to move the truck a few feet after I removed the stock exhaust from the cat.... honestly my exhaust kinda sounds like a bit more "controlled" version of catless, which even at that, isn't that loud.

Borla sounds the best

r3ccOs
07-07-2014, 06:26 PM

I haven't been able to find any dyno results with JUST the intake done. Some "claim" 20HP, but an AFE stage 2 is close to $500. Why wouldn't I spend $380 for an extra 50HP and over 100lb/ft? Mopac and and JB's both have the SCT in stock, JB's was about $50 cheaper.

I removed those little intake silencer thingys and I LOVE the sound!

this is what I'm looking for, and yet while not under boost or load, they're not present.

thanks mate!

I haven't seen any dyno comparison neither to really substantiate airbox/CAI performance gains other than AFE's own.

that being said, is it just me or are the intake tubes different diameters but going to each bank?

spikerS
07-07-2014, 06:35 PM
I have a superchips tuner that I am no longer going to use. I bought it to try and get some better numbers while towing, but it just isn't working out for me.

If anyone is interested in it, let me know.

Maxx Mazda
07-07-2014, 07:56 PM

I removed those little intake silencer thingys and I LOVE the sound!

this is what I'm looking for, and yet while not under boost or load, they're not present.

thanks mate!

I haven't seen any dyno comparison neither to really substantiate airbox/CAI performance gains other than AFE's own.

that being said, is it just me or are the intake tubes different diameters but going to each bank?

It's crazy what a "five minute mod" will do!

I love the sound with my stock airbox. I may look at widening the intake "snorkel" a little. Seems a tad restrictive.

Yes the intake pipes are of different diameter.

ercchry
07-07-2014, 09:19 PM
Took silencers out... then turned off trac and stability... then took woman to dinner... she's not impressed hahahaha... but it is her daily, cause fuck driving a massive truck every day :rofl:

Cos
07-07-2014, 09:46 PM

Maxx Mazda
07-07-2014, 09:48 PM
Hahaha with Stability off this thing will light them up through third. With the tune it's easily through 4th.

I'm not into street racing but it was pretty funny when I was able to smoke some chode in a hemi Ram
Without even trying. Enjoy your white sunglasses and orange girlfriend loser...

Cos
07-07-2014, 10:22 PM

spikerS
07-07-2014, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by Cos
Just took mine out. Haven't driven it yet so I will update tomorrow. In case anyone is wondering where it is, this is where they are located. You can see them on my valve cover.

http://i1190.photobucket.com/albums/z455/thecosworth/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20140707_212047_zps2b7p7xv_edit_1404791092908_zpscoq9u1ev.jpg

Have to bring yours by tomorrow so I can take a listen, see if I want to do it to mine or not. :rofl:

r3ccOs
07-07-2014, 11:38 PM
Hahaha with Stability off this thing will light them up through third. With the tune it's easily through 4th.

I'm not into street racing but it was pretty funny when I was able to smoke some chode in a hemi Ram
Without even trying. Enjoy your white sunglasses and orange girlfriend loser...

how long have you ran your tune for?

I believe that the engine already accounts for running 91 premium by upping power to 385/435lbs respectively but thats not quite as substantial of a gain as even the 87 tune.

is there a substantial increase in fuel economy?

I'm really wanting to tune it but I don't want to stress the turbos too much, knowing they work harder at our elevation and the K03's probably shouldn't be pushed too hard (maybe 18 psi)

freshprince1
07-08-2014, 10:37 AM
Nice to see some life back in this thread. I tried posting the video of my Heartthrob exhaust from my phone, but it didn't work. Will try again later.

I think I'll try that quick mod you're discussing. Wouldn't mind hearing a bit more of the turbo whoosh. It's my wife's daily driver though...so I've have to do it sneakily and see if she notices!!

Turns out my new neighbor works for Western Motorsports in Calgary and specializes in Ford performance. He says the AFE CAI is a big seller for the EcoBoost and that everyone is really happy with it. Might have to hit him up for a discount!

EDIT** So I just took the silencers out and drove it around the block. Didn't really notice a difference in sound. Maybe I need to get it out on the highway. With the windows down it was more noticeable.

EDIT 2** Had it out more last night. I can hear a louder turbo whoosh when the windows are down, but no difference when the windows are up. Bit of a vanity mod, but still worth the 5min to hear it spool up when the windows are down. Sounds less tame.

ShermanEF9
07-08-2014, 11:44 PM
I took the silencers out of mine and didn't notice a difference. apparently doing that, taking the tranny "diaper" off and leaving the engine cover off makes a huge difference.

r3ccOs
07-09-2014, 02:21 PM
anyone bring their truck in to take care of the TSB as per
http://www.f150forum.com/f70/3-5l-ecoboost-new-misfire-fix-tsb-jan-2014-a-249576/index12/

TSB (14-0017)

Maxx Mazda
07-09-2014, 02:34 PM
I had the PCM reflash done but not the new intercooler. The revised intercooler is half the size. No thanks.

r3ccOs
07-09-2014, 02:47 PM
I had the PCM reflash done but not the new intercooler. The revised intercooler is half the size. No thanks.

my truck was built in March, and this TSB being in January shouldn't have the problem?

I have to call in my VIN apparently to see if it applies to me, so I'll have to find it :P

would your SCT tune not overide the update?

Maxx Mazda
07-09-2014, 06:22 PM

my truck was built in March, and this TSB being in January shouldn't have the problem?

I have to call in my VIN apparently to see if it applies to me, so I'll have to find it :P

would your SCT tune not overide the update?

It does, but its important to have the latest stock tune for your truck prior to using the SCT, as it will download it and save it so that you can flash back to stock at anytime should you need warranty work, etc.

Cos
07-09-2014, 06:53 PM

r3ccOs
07-09-2014, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by Cos

From what I've read on the F150 forums, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I just looked at my inter cooler and I don't have either the upper deflector shield NOR the sticker, so I'll consider myself lucky

Maxx Mazda
07-09-2014, 10:18 PM

I just looked at my inter cooler and I don't have either the upper deflector shield NOR the sticker, so I'll consider myself lucky

I still have the good (old) intercooler and I took off my plastic shields.

Maxx Mazda
07-09-2014, 10:19 PM
EDIT:

Bought my truck (2013 model) August of 2013

ercchry
07-18-2014, 10:35 PM
Damn these things are quick... just had a go with the wife from the lights, 0-80 (the speed limit for those who care) she destroyed me! Easily 3 car lengths vs the 05 hemi powered full time awd durango :nut:

Not to mention the eco-boost gets about 12L/100kms and the durango does about 18 :rofl:

ExtraSlow
07-20-2014, 09:40 PM
Yep, they are quick. I find myself having traction control kick in regularly when I'm boostin around town. The kids keep asking me why I drive so fast.

RickDaTuner
07-20-2014, 10:08 PM
The intercooler tsb is based on symptoms and not vins,
The issue is more pronounced in humid weather.

Part of the issue is an incorrect airflow to the intercooler, it is also due to moisture getting into the coils and causing a little plug fouling.

There is a PCM reflash that comes with the new intercooler and the truck is peppier despite the smaller size.
Another reason for the reduction of size is oil saturation in the intercooler, which reduces thermal efficiency.

Really though, most drivability concerns on these truck can be resolved by changing out the spark plugs (I reccomended doing them every 40-50k KMs), and disconnecting the battery for 5mins in order to reset the KAM.

If you guys have any specific questions regarding these trucks shoot me a PM.

r3ccOs
07-20-2014, 10:42 PM
Yep, they are quick. I find myself having traction control kick in regularly when I'm boostin around town. The kids keep asking me why I drive so fast.

for an almost 6000lb beast, they are pretty quick definitely

intake spacers and the exhaust has satisfied my sound requirements thus far... but I don't think has added any actual power that I can tell by my butt dyno

not really haven owned a "truck", I have to say I love the practicality and the capabilities.

What I have noticed is... its not a sports car. Maybe in a straight line, this ecoboost may be one of the fastest trucks, especially at our elevation... but it definitely doesn't handle like one (though its very comfortable) or brake like one.

The more I see retards in their halftons or bigger,with ATV(s), campers or a full payload of something, bombing down windy roads, passing cars already going past the speed limit, I just have to facepalm.

I drove an unloaded Superduty 6.2 before I bought this one, and I have to say that an unloaded 3/4 or 1 ton, is like driving on basketballs. Yet, how many retards with 6inch lifts, low profile tires on 22's, and metal mulisha stickers think they're driving a porsche when coming off an overpass?
Why always push the limit?

as far as capability, this is what I find about the f150...
Mine is setup for the 7650 max gvwr with the screw 5.5
I think with a screw 6.5 HD, you get 500 lbs more at 8200.

that being said though, a trailer tongue being 10% of the total weight, and its towing capability of 11,300 lbs... leaves you with very little amount of payload capability.

If it is anything that I wish it had more "official" rating for, it would be that... just to be able to carry more in tandem with the trailer.

however with a IFS setup, and without making the truck feel both unpredicable and boardy... I get it....
buy a 2500 if you really need it :D

but out of curiosity... if one were to run e-ply tires (which I typically would, if these crappy SRAs weren't stock), add an "add-a leaf"
can you "offically" up your GVWR?
I will be honest and say I think the brakes are quite good, and have more radius than just about anything out there?

I get it, safety wise, a 2500 is heavier, uses a floating setup, and does have more heavy duty brakes. but I think the 3.5eco especially tuned, has far more capability than the 6.2

Aleks
07-20-2014, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by ercchry
Damn these things are quick... just had a go with the wife from the lights, 0-80 (the speed limit for those who care) she destroyed me! Easily 3 car lengths vs the 05 hemi powered full time awd durango :nut:

Not to mention the eco-boost gets about 12L/100kms and the durango does about 18 :rofl:

I sometimes watch The Fast Lane vids on YT when I'm bored and I watched their EB and new Durango tests out of curiosity. They got a best time of 8.5s for the EB and 9.7s for the new Durango. This is 0-60 at 1 mile asl where they test all their cars. So your experience is about right on.

Proyecto2000
07-20-2014, 10:52 PM
i have been cruising in a 2014 ecoboost fx4 all weekend and it is wicked!

Truck has 3k on it so far and it's been averaging 15L/100 on a mix of 80% highway and 20% city.

I did flinch at the pump when I broke the $150 mark pumping regular :rofl:

Going to test drive a new Tundra 4.6L tomorrow to see how it compares :dunno:

spikerS
07-21-2014, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by Proyecto2000

I did flinch at the pump when I broke the $150 mark

Had mine now for 2 years, my most expensive fill up was 140, with my cpu telling me I had about 75kms to empty, and that was with 1.279 / L.

Normally, 125 fills mine up.

OH, and when I filly truck, it stays on 999 to E for quite awhile too. Just did a Coventry-Banff-Coventey trip and averaged 10L/100kms. I still have zero complaints about this truck.

ExtraSlow
07-21-2014, 06:54 AM
Best I ever did on a long highway trip was 11L/100km. My "normal" highway is 12.
I still think that's amazing for a crew cab 4x4, even unloaded.

r3ccOs
07-21-2014, 07:41 AM
Best I ever did on a long highway trip was 11L/100km. My "normal" highway is 12.
I still think that's amazing for a crew cab 4x4, even unloaded.

this weekend, hit up koocanusa with 4 adults 2 dogs and about another 500lbs of cargo and averaged 12.4...

for the most part, it was a bit of my lead foot, as wow are there ever some people who were driving this weekend who shouldn't.

I get that highway 22 is a bit winding and has its uphills/downhill grades, but someone should really not let their grandparentsdrive their corolla's 80km/h on Friday nights or Sunday evenings.

Aleks
07-21-2014, 07:58 AM
What do these things realistically achieve in mostly city driving? Is 15L/100kms doable in pure city driving or are we still talking 17-18L.

ExtraSlow
07-21-2014, 08:04 AM
City mileage is really heavily effected by how you drive. A lot of people enjoy the power, so they are in the boost from every stop light. That's not good for economy at all. I've heard guys say that the "deeper" gearing is better for city fuel economy, but I have nothing to back that up.

I don't have enough pure city miles to say from personal experience, so i can't help you out with firsthand knowledge. I don't think I've ever used a full tank around town.

SkiBum5.0
07-21-2014, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by spikerS

Had mine now for 2 years, my most expensive fill up was 140, with my cpu telling me I had about 75kms to empty, and that was with 1.279 / L.

Normally, 125 fills mine up.

OH, and when I filly truck, it stays on 999 to E for quite awhile too. Just did a Coventry-Banff-Coventey trip and averaged 10L/100kms. I still have zero complaints about this truck.

Do you have the 136L tank? The bigger tank is an option on all trims and standard on FX4, Plat, Limited and HD (or any truck optioned with the 6.2). This might be why you haven't hit the $150 mark.

r3ccOs
07-21-2014, 08:46 AM
City mileage is really heavily effected by how you drive. A lot of people enjoy the power, so they are in the boost from every stop light. That's not good for economy at all. I've heard guys say that the "deeper" gearing is better for city fuel economy, but I have nothing to back that up.

I don't have enough pure city miles to say from personal experience, so i can't help you out with firsthand knowledge. I don't think I've ever used a full tank around town.

its a tough one I'd say.
An unloaded, non-towing truck, the tall 3.15's on the higway would be stellar... especially a non-super crew in a 4x2

but once you get your basic gvw over 5600lbs (depenant on trim packages) I wouldn't go with anything less than the 3.55

I bought the 3.73 cause I wanted the max tow package, and in the city, driving "prudently" I get about 12.7.

On the highway, its a mixup as I'm cruising at 1900 RPM at 110 or 2100 RPM at 120, and that results in about anywhere from 10.4 -> 11.1

IF I go 100 on a flat trail like stoney w/o wind, I can actually achieve well into the 9's, probably as manufacturer rated 9.3

This engine I think has a sweet spot at about 1700 for best effenciency, but a balance of power at 2000RPM.

I find if I'm cruising at 120, even if I go up a steep grade, other than the torque converter unlocking a bit for a couple more rev's, it stays in 6 gear, and rev's no higher than 2300 RPM.

brucebanner
07-21-2014, 09:34 AM
I have almost 45k on mine now. Tow package w/ 3.73's and I average 14/100 around town. Last summer I drove back east with two sport bikes in the bed and a fair bit of gear in the back seat. Averaged 12/100 if I remember correctly and that was driving 120-130km/hr.

SOAB
07-21-2014, 09:41 AM
my city only mileage is at around 14L/100kms. that is with a mix of deerfoot and light to light.

I recently swapped out the crappy P-rated tires for some Michelin LTX M/S in the stock size. it definitely made the truck handle better with and without a load.

adding a leaf or helper springs (airbags) will not legally add to your GVWR but I can tell you that your truck WILL handle better when towing with these items. I wouldn't hesitate to load these trucks to the max axle rating that is stamped on the actual axle, not just the tag on the door as long as you do those mods.

ExtraSlow
07-21-2014, 09:48 AM
Those are very good city numbers you guys are getting. I have the "wimpy" 3.31 gears, although i haven't ever thought I was lacking power.

Would love to drive one of the "tremor" edition Regular Cab short-bed 4x2 4.10 geared EcoBoosts. I'll bet those are pretty fun. Haven't looked up the curb weights, but must be a hell of a lot lighter than the SuperCrew 4x4 I'm in.

r3ccOs
07-21-2014, 09:51 AM
Those are very good city numbers you guys are getting. I have the "wimpy" 3.31 gears, although i haven't ever thought I was lacking power.

Would love to drive one of the "tremor" edition Regular Cab short-bed 4x2 4.10 geared EcoBoosts. I'll bet those are pretty fun. Haven't looked up the curb weights, but must be a hell of a lot lighter than the SuperCrew 4x4 I'm in.

I've heard that if you put on the locker, 4x4 hi and rev the engine into boost, even our SCREWs will dip under 6 second mark (especially with shorter gears :D)

SOAB, what is the 9.75 axel's rated for? I'd imagine that the 6.5 w HD (7 bolt axels) would be more?

SOAB
07-21-2014, 10:06 AM
well, the tags on our doors should say 4050lbs but i'm not sure about what the actual axle is rated for. The sticker will be derated from the actual axle rating because of the springs, tires, wheels, etc that for puts on.

I haven't had a chance to actually look at the axles yet to know though.

Maxx Mazda
07-21-2014, 10:24 AM
I've got the 3.55 electronic locker in my FX4 Scab, and I get about 12.5-13.5 city. I used to do all highway driving, and even then seeing anything in the 11's was great by me.

Super happy with my truck, although my battery just shit out on Friday, it was replaced free under warranty.

Been playing around with the diagnostic mode on the cluster. LOTS of cool info to be had in there, wish ford would have made some of it available in the normal menus (like the gauge page for example). Digital speed, battery voltage, coolant temp, etc.

For those of you with the LCD cluster, hold OK while you turn the key on, and let go when it says diagnostic mode. Press ok again to cycle through the options. Hold OK to exit.

Aleks
07-21-2014, 01:52 PM
So I was messing with Fords build tool. EB SC I built has $12,335 in incentives right now with employee and delivery allowances. It seems you can combine that with the 24 month 0.49% lease rate. Not a bad deal. Quick search online mentions another 6-8% dealer hold back. Has anyone been able to negotiate this and get over and above the factory incentives?

r3ccOs
07-21-2014, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by Aleks
So I was messing with Fords build tool. EB SC I built has $12,335 in incentives right now with employee and delivery allowances. It seems you can combine that with the 24 month 0.49% lease rate. Not a bad deal. Quick search online mentions another 6-8% dealer hold back. Has anyone been able to negotiate this and get over and above the factory incentives?

I thought my 1.48 rate was stellar... frick, and this was just last month :P

ExtraSlow
07-21-2014, 03:39 PM
Have you been able to get an X-Plan quote? Those can help chisel away a little more.

If you are serious, I can hook you up with a no-nonsense dealer.

spikerS
07-21-2014, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by SkiBum5.0

Do you have the 136L tank? The bigger tank is an option on all trims and standard on FX4, Plat, Limited and HD (or any truck optioned with the 6.2). This might be why you haven't hit the $150 mark.

yup, I like having the bigger tank too.

But, if the 136L tank is dead empty, @ $1.299/L that is $177 to fill, so $150 fill ups are in the realm of possibility.

Anyone know how much of the 136L tank is considered "Reserve'?

spikerS
07-21-2014, 04:55 PM
Have you been able to get an X-Plan quote? Those can help chisel away a little more.

Every time I tried to get an X-plan quote, they always said that the employee pricing was better than X-Plan. Never did find out if it was true or not.

FraserB
07-21-2014, 05:20 PM
Finding this truck to be quite enjoyable to drive. Can't go nuts and see what speeds she'll do, but the steering seems a bit more responsive than on my GMC and you can tell off the line speed would be pretty quick. Only real gripe is I seem to hit my knees on the steering wheel getting in.

Don't know if I'd swap the Sierra for one, but it's a nice truck for sure.

Maxx Mazda
07-21-2014, 05:37 PM

But, if the 136L tank is dead empty, @ $1.299/L that is $177 to fill, so $150 fill ups are in the realm of possibility.

I've run mine down to "0Km to Empty" and it was still purring away. I was probably 3-4km into that too.

ExtraSlow
07-21-2014, 06:36 PM
If you qualify for, and have, and X-Plan PIN, they have no choice but to give you that quote.

I currently qualify, but it's 100% non-transferable, and it only saved me a couple hundred off the already great deal I had worked out. Haven't compared it to employee pricing, so they may be telling the truth. I think Employee price would be considered A-plan.

ShermanEF9
07-21-2014, 10:33 PM

its about 10-15L... closer to the 10 mark.

Aleks
07-21-2014, 10:35 PM

Haven't got that far. Basically employee pricing is ~6k discount and rest is "delivery allowance". Thanks for the offer, will let you know if I decide to get serious about it.

r3ccOs
07-22-2014, 12:02 AM
If you qualify for, and have, and X-Plan PIN, they have no choice but to give you that quote.

I currently qualify, but it's 100% non-transferable, and it only saved me a couple hundred off the already great deal I had worked out. Haven't compared it to employee pricing, so they may be telling the truth. I think Employee price would be considered A-plan.

so much is based on dealer allocation...

I was entitled to a fleet plan, this deal and I still ended up better off with trying to get a price towards the end of the month on a in stock vehicle rather than to order one.

ExtraSlow
07-22-2014, 08:03 AM
You can use X-plan on any in-stock truck, and it can also be combined with some other incentives. If your dealer isn't telling you this, maybe you need a new dealer?

but out of curiosity... if one were to run e-ply tires (which I typically would, if these crappy SRAs weren't stock), add an "add-a leaf"
can you "offically" up your GVWR?

Agree with your comments about the idiots in the lifted 1-tons.
Anyway, while LT tires (C or E rated) are a great idea when you are planning to haul or tow, they DO NOT increase your GVWR or GCVR, that number is set from the factory, and nothing aftermarket can increase them.

That being said, if you were only occasionally over your rating, and didn't drive like a moron, I think you can still do it safely with good tires and the correct attitude.

Sugarphreak
07-23-2014, 01:57 PM

ercchry
07-23-2014, 02:10 PM
leaving the dump with two of us and the dog, half tank (so... only ~70L of fuel) we were just over 6300lbs

...not to mention you are ~200rpm higher than my 245/75-17 and 3.73 combo :poosie:

mostly city driving the truck is doing 14.8L/100kms and i bet my highway is a touch higher speed than your highway :rofl:

Sugarphreak
07-23-2014, 02:12 PM

Sugarphreak
07-23-2014, 02:13 PM

ercchry
07-23-2014, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak

Also, I am the master of my own RPM... standard transmission ftw ;)

yeah it would be neat if there was a selector for "M" and some sort of buttons to change the gears up and down.... oh... wait... :poosie:

heavyfuel
07-23-2014, 09:21 PM
Kind of surprsied you guys are not getting better fuel mileage... I get about 10~11L/100km on the highway and ~14L/100km in town... and I am riding around on 35's with 4.56 gears and an extra ton of weight.

I was thinking for sure the EcoBoost's would be under 10L/100km on the highway

Why do you feel you need 4:56's on 35's? Especially with a standard?

Oh, right, gasoline lol

r3ccOs
07-24-2014, 06:28 AM
\

Sugarphreak
07-24-2014, 06:39 AM

r3ccOs
07-24-2014, 07:34 AM
Originally posted by heavyfuel

Why do you feel you need 4:56's on 35's? Especially with a standard?

Oh, right, gasoline lol

lol remember that your truck redlines at 3k

heavyfuel
07-24-2014, 12:09 PM

^^ It comes stock with 4.56 gearing, generally it is setup more for off-road use

Crazy. My buddy put 40's on his F-350 before going to 4:56's. How's the rpm's at highway speeds?

lol remember that your truck redlines at 3k

Yup. I'll also pull more than you guys can dream of at over 1000 rpm's lower too. I don't get this whole ecoboost thing, like if you wanna pull and haul get a diesel already lol

r3ccOs
07-24-2014, 12:10 PM
can anyone here get a hold of Rat Fink for me?

Sugarphreak
07-24-2014, 12:17 PM

Cos
07-24-2014, 12:25 PM