PDA

View Full Version : Daft Punk's Random Access Memories

jaysas_63
03-24-2013, 12:08 PM
Anybody else ecstatic for Daft Punks long anticipated new album?

name and release date of 5.21.13 officially released yesterday. Now on pre-order on itunes.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/1554334/daft-punks-new-album-random-access-memories-out-in-may

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBtczW2NM88
iBtczW2NM88

(potentially a fake from the 15 second loop that was aired as a SNL commercial)

Been waiting 8 years for this album!

finboy
03-24-2013, 05:17 PM
Can't wait, will buy on vinyl if they offer it

jaysas_63
03-24-2013, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by finboy
Can't wait, will buy on vinyl if they offer it

I've pre-ordered my vinyl copy

http://www.myplaydirect.com/daft-punk/random-access-memories-vinyl/details/28153079

:thumbsup:

finboy
03-24-2013, 05:34 PM
Done and done

dj_patm
03-24-2013, 05:39 PM
They're Legends.

Pre-ordered.

That song is fake cause the new commercial has an updated version of that loop and it's got different vocals.

TKKGrKaix44

I'm not trusting anything until the album comes out or a singles is officially released.

dj_patm
03-24-2013, 05:45 PM
Mixmag punk'd one of their staff pretty good too :P

Hgyl_VcWcmY&NR

jacky4566
03-24-2013, 06:04 PM
Where is the best place to buy if I want a HQ version? or should I just buy a CD?:eek:

Redlyne_mr2
03-24-2013, 06:13 PM
can't wait

GS430
03-25-2013, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by jacky4566
Where is the best place to buy if I want a HQ version? or should I just buy a CD?:eek:

iTunes..

I would just buy a copy though, I'm thinking about getting a vinyl copy as well just for the hell of it.

jaysas_63
04-03-2013, 12:59 PM
The Collaborators: Episode 1, Giorgio Moroder

http://randomaccessmemories.com/

ArjayAquino
04-03-2013, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by jaysas_63

I've pre-ordered my vinyl copy

http://www.myplaydirect.com/daft-punk/random-access-memories-vinyl/details/28153079

Thanks for the link... Just ordered it :thumbsup:

flipstah
04-03-2013, 01:51 PM
FUCK YES. Will buy when it comes out. :thumbsup:

GS430
04-03-2013, 02:26 PM
Anyone see that sick April fool's joke hovering on facebook?

Daft Punk tour with Justice and Chemical Brothers?

Fucking twats, I got really excited until I relized it was April 1st. :poosie:

mr2mike
04-04-2013, 10:55 AM
Been thinking that the industry is missing a Daft Punk type of group for years. There's some that are close but non seem to get that killer loop that they typically come with.

Homework was so simple in it's tracks but groundbreaking.

GS430
04-04-2013, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by mr2mike
Been thinking that the industry is missing a Daft Punk type of group for years. There's some that are close but non seem to get that killer loop that they typically come with.

Homework was so simple in it's tracks but groundbreaking.

There are a bunch of french dj's that have that Daft Punk vibe, especially anyone who works with Pedro Winters (Busy-P). He was DP's first manager.

You're absolutely right though, they are groundbreaking and legends in the electronic music world.

dj_patm
04-04-2013, 11:21 AM
Please for the love of God release a single soon...

Super_Geo
04-04-2013, 01:45 PM
Stoked! Even that 15s clip they've leaked sounds sick!

Originally posted by jaysas_63
Now on pre-order on itunes.
Preorder on iTunes? Cause they might run out of 1s and 0s to send people on release day? :rofl:

jaysas_63
04-04-2013, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by Super_Geo
Stoked! Even that 15s clip they've leaked sounds sick!

Preorder on iTunes? Cause they might run out of 1s and 0s to send people on release day? :rofl:

:rofl: i hear ya. they don't actually charge your account until the day its released. its more for convenience in case you forget about it, rather than securing the 1s and 0s haha

rockwolf2001
04-06-2013, 12:23 AM
A look at the collaborators behind Random Access Memories, the
new album from Daft Punk. Episode 1: Giorgio Moroder.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=eYDvxo-M0OQ

Edit:
wow i fail at embedding to youtube... here's the link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=eYDvxo-M0OQ

dj_patm
04-14-2013, 12:25 PM
Boom. Minute long teaser video from SNL last night.

pefow5Kp_W4

At first I wasn't sold on it but now I have it on fucking loop. Such a nice change of pace from EDM.

flipstah
04-14-2013, 01:23 PM
Time to go old school and blast some Technologic.

flipstah
04-14-2013, 10:54 PM
It's my new ringtone now. SO CATCHY! :love:

schocker
04-15-2013, 01:30 PM
Loving that get lucky clip, can't wait for the album, yet it is still so far away :eek:

dirtysamwich
04-15-2013, 03:32 PM
I cannot wait! Gonna be so fucking rad

Beno
04-17-2013, 04:36 PM
My body is ready! The remixes sound nice too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGE9WcIaafc&feature=share&list=FLyI-qY1EHylgqMRvBZ90Khw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHVjHvidPis&feature=share&list=FLyI-qY1EHylgqMRvBZ90Khw

Edit: oops wrong link

FixedGear
04-17-2013, 09:50 PM
i dunno, i likes homework back in the late 90s, and discovery, but I fell like they kinda lost their ambition and vision after that, and just keep releasing the same old crap... all their songs are starting to sound the same, and dated. they are not pushing the envelope anymore. I feel like i've heard this song "get lucky" at least a few times from them now. :zzz:

GS430
04-18-2013, 08:14 AM
Whoa whoa whoa..

How would you feel they lost their "ambition and vision"?

Sorry but that's a pretty ridiculous statement to make about artists that people know very little about.

dj_patm
04-18-2013, 12:42 PM
???

No one is making music like Get Lucky right now. Maybe you could draw some comparisons to JT's new album but only in style. Get Lucky is alot better then anything on JT's cd (Mirrors is a maybe).

I'd be a lot angrier if Daft Punk put out another wobble and drop filled record like almost everything else in Dance Music right now. The retro, disco-esque groove is a nice change of pace to everything else out there right now. I see a lot of people bitching on the internet saying that Get Lucky isn't "EDM". They're forgetting that EDM is just a subset of Dance Music and unless you only started listening to Dance Music in 2008, you'd understand that music can still be considered dance music without sounding like Skrillex or Avicii.

Also, Daft Punk used to be almost exclusively sample based... There is one sample on this entire album and very limited synth work apparently, so you can't say they're not trying new stuff.

Anyways, this is all but confirmed to be a rough rip of the real radio edit and regardless the radio edit and the 6 minute original officially come out at midnight!!

E-yO8wAsDlA

FixedGear
04-18-2013, 03:53 PM
it's just that for me, Daft Punk has put out pretty much the same record 3 or 4 times. The songs are all the same, they even sound like bad copies of earlier songs. there isn't a progression there like you expect from the top artists.

look at radiohead, each album is brilliant (OK, to be honest, KOL wasn't their best work), and a giant change in direction from previous work.

some Bob Dylan quotes are relevant here:

"An artist must be careful to never think he has arrived somewhere, he must always be in a constant state of becoming". Bob Dylan

“An artist must always be in a constant state of change.” -Bob Dylan

flipstah
04-19-2013, 09:39 AM
vxp0PFoIdmU

Manhattan
04-19-2013, 12:45 PM
Funky beat but not a fan of Pharrell on this particular track.

finboy
04-19-2013, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by Manhattan
Funky beat but not a fan of Pharrell on this particular track.

This, pharrell brings monotony to basically everything he touches :zzz:

Markll7
04-22-2013, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by FixedGear
it's just that for me, Daft Punk has put out pretty much the same record 3 or 4 times. The songs are all the same, they even sound like bad copies of earlier songs. there isn't a progression there like you expect from the top artists.

look at radiohead, each album is brilliant (OK, to be honest, KOL wasn't their best work), and a giant change in direction from previous work.

some Bob Dylan quotes are relevant here:

"An artist must be careful to never think he has arrived somewhere, he must always be in a constant state of becoming". Bob Dylan

“An artist must always be in a constant state of change.” -Bob Dylan

Are you seriously applying Bob Dylan quotes and Radiohead production values against Daft Punk ?

FixedGear
04-22-2013, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by Markll7

Are you seriously applying Bob Dylan quotes and Radiohead production values against Daft Punk ?

of course, why not? Bob Dylan is right, and there is no reason it shouldn't be applied to Daft Punk.

xnvy
04-22-2013, 07:25 PM
^I think the most important thing for any type of artist is that they enjoy the process of creation and that they enjoy what they create. If their records sound the same, so be it, at least they like it and they are sharing it with others who also happen to like it. It won't please everyone of course. If Daft Punk puts out what sounds like the same record 3 or 4 times (they haven't IMO) as long as they're creating something they like, putting passion into it and aren't compromising on their creative ideals just to generate more $$. In short, artists don't need to be in a constant state of evolution unless that's what they want. Just my $0.02

FixedGear
04-22-2013, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by xnvy
^I think the most important thing for any type of artist is that they enjoy the process of creation and that they enjoy what they create. If their records sound the same, so be it, at least they like it and they are sharing it with others who also happen to like it. It won't please everyone of course. If Daft Punk puts out what sounds like the same record 3 or 4 times (they haven't IMO) as long as they're creating something they like, putting passion into it and aren't compromising on their creative ideals just to generate more $$. In short, artists don't need to be in a constant state of evolution unless that's what they want. Just my $0.02

This is exactly why Bob Dylan is the most important individual musician of the last roughly 200 years, and you're jsut some random guy on the internet. :D

FixedGear
04-22-2013, 07:52 PM
Science works the same exact way - if you're not at the top of your game, keeping up with current research and doing research that is pushing the field further, you get lost in the dust. :dunno:

FixedGear
04-22-2013, 07:53 PM
double penetration

jaysas_63
05-13-2013, 08:34 PM
and it leaked earlier today

support them, buy a copy people!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqLPmgd10wg

eglove
05-13-2013, 08:37 PM
a letdown IMO. just sounds like rehashed chromeo that rehashed daftpunk

schocker
05-13-2013, 09:12 PM
Streaming on itunes right now. I am liking this a lot from what I have heard so far. Will buy for sure.

firebane
05-13-2013, 10:38 PM
There is a leak of this album out. I don't know the restrictions on posting links but its out and if anyone is interested send me a pm.

GoChris
05-13-2013, 11:21 PM
I don't want to use iTunes. Is there no other way to buy a digital copy? I'll just go buy a cd and rip it if that's my only option.

l/l/rX
05-13-2013, 11:48 PM
can you guys honestly say you enjoy this album? Jesus, this album sucks. :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz:

Most over hyped album ever.

schocker
05-14-2013, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by l/l/rX
can you guys honestly say you enjoy this album? Jesus, this album sucks. :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz:

Most over hyped album ever.
What is wrong with it, if you listened to get lucky, I am not sure what you were expecting :confused:
It is what I expected it to sound like and I like it a lot and have listened to it many times already :D

finboy
05-14-2013, 11:09 AM
Just finishing up my first listen, and I think it has to be listened to in context. From the outset it was designed to be dance floor music, so it isn't deep and the songs seem long. To me it seems like music designed for a passive listener, but is showing how pop/dance music can be made with attention to live instrumentation and actual musical skill as opposed to a fruity loops beat with auto tuned vocals, which has been the norm for the better part of a decade.

Taken in that context it does a great job, background music that took effort to put together.

jsn
05-15-2013, 05:38 PM
Taken in that context it does a great job, background music that took effort to put together.

This is exactly what it reminds me of. Background music and nothing more. Sure it might have taken alot of effort, but in the end, it just sounds like background music to me. I think people expected them to release a new revolutionary album so they tried too hard to push the envelope. It's different for sure, but it's just bland to me. Reminds me of elevator music or something I'd hear while I'm put on hold while calling customer service. I just did one quick listen through and so far I don't like it at all. Glad I listened to it before buying it. Definitely won't be picking this one up.

I'm not calling out anyone in this thread in particular, but I saw a few reviews that think it's the best album ever. If people genuinely love it, so be it. But it seems to me alot of people are raving about it just because it's daft punks newest album, and they'll love anything these guys release.

However, I do really like the one song, "get lucky."

FixedGear
05-15-2013, 08:27 PM
I warned you all a month ago. :rofl:

npham
05-15-2013, 10:45 PM
The version of "Get Lucky" is so much better than the one from a couple of weeks ago. Just listening through the album and I think it's pretty solid. Delivered more than the JT album was hyped beyond hyped and the first single tanked.

finboy
05-15-2013, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by jsn

This is exactly what it reminds me of. Background music and nothing more. Sure it might have taken alot of effort, but in the end, it just sounds like background music to me. I think people expected them to release a new revolutionary album so they tried too hard to push the envelope. It's different for sure, but it's just bland to me. Reminds me of elevator music or something I'd hear while I'm put on hold while calling customer service. I just did one quick listen through and so far I don't like it at all. Glad I listened to it before buying it. Definitely won't be picking this one up.

I'm not calling out anyone in this thread in particular, but I saw a few reviews that think it's the best album ever. If people genuinely love it, so be it. But it seems to me alot of people are raving about it just because it's daft punks newest album, and they'll love anything these guys release.

However, I do really like the one song, "get lucky."

Different strokes, I think it would be a great summer album to throw on when having people over to BBQ, enjoy the weather, etc. it sounds like that is what they were aiming for, and it works well IMO :dunno:

It's not discovery or homework, but it isn't trying to be, I would hardly call it a bad album

jsn
05-16-2013, 12:05 AM

Different strokes, I think it would be a great summer album to throw on when having people over to BBQ, enjoy the weather, etc. it sounds like that is what they were aiming for, and it works well IMO :dunno:

It's not discovery or homework, but it isn't trying to be, I would hardly call it a bad album

Oh I definitely agree with you that it would be a good summer album to throw on during a BBQ, because it's exactly that, good background music. I might have come off abit harsh in my last post because I don't think it's a bad album. Just way over-hyped and definitely not a ground breaking album that alot of people made it out to be.

finboy
05-16-2013, 12:14 AM
I would have to disagree that it isn't breaking new ground, while most electronic music is focusing on wob wob wob bs, break downs, etc. this album is steering in a completely different direction. I think it will be very interesting to see how it translates live, and if everyone will try to copy daft punk again

Heru-Farukon
05-16-2013, 06:53 AM

Very well said. Like said earlier in this thread, its something different and people that were used to discovery and etc may have mixed opinions.

But I, myself, like this album.

flipstah
05-16-2013, 06:56 AM
http://www.vibe.com/article/daft-punk-random-access-memories-review-robots-playground

dubhead
05-20-2013, 03:30 PM
After my first listen through my biggest problem is that it just doesn't make me dance want to dance and everything makes me want to dance. It just feels kinds flat to me. Background music is a good description of it I think, very deep and musically talented background music but background music none the less. I'll probably still buy it and who knows it might grow on me.

Supa Dexta
05-20-2013, 06:14 PM
God, homework was 16 years ago.. hard to believe.

jsn
05-20-2013, 06:27 PM
Listened to it a few more times and I may have been abit harsh with my original comment. It's starting to growing on me abit. There's only maybe 4 or 5 songs that I like on the whole CD. Those songs are decent, but not amazing. Even though there's a few songs that I'm starting to like, I still stand by my original opinion, that the CD is way over rated.

xnvy
05-20-2013, 07:29 PM
Overall I think it's okay. My thoughts on the album, admittedly not worth much, if anything. Over-hyped? Yes. Amazing? Possibly. Good? I would say so.

The two standout tracks for me are "Get Lucky" and "Giorgio by Moroder". I also like "Give Life Back to Music", "Lose Yourself to Dance", and "Motherboard". The rest are pretty average I feel except for "Doin' It Right" which I can not stand at all.

8.5/10

ArjayAquino
05-21-2013, 10:56 AM
I couldn't wait for my Vinyl to come in so I downloaded it in the meantime. I really like the album and I agree that it is good background / chilling music. Even though the songs are slow pace I love the way they're composed. I have to get a Record player though, it must sounds awesome on one.

austic
05-21-2013, 02:04 PM
I am torn. One one hand I love the chill kind of vibe but it doesnt make me want to dance at all. maybe a slow little head bob groove.

I have a hard time seeing how they could perform this live. Like envisioning this at a EDM festival as it just doesnt have the energy.

8/10

rockwolf2001
05-21-2013, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by austic
I am torn. One one hand I love the chill kind of vibe but it doesnt make me want to dance at all. maybe a slow little head bob groove.

I have a hard time seeing how they could perform this live. Like envisioning this at a EDM festival as it just doesnt have the energy.

8/10

this is how i assume they'll perform it live:

http://www.edmtunes.com/2013/05/daft-punk-remixing-daft-punk/

Probably remix the songs so they're a little harder, more bass, and give it some more energy

flipstah
05-23-2013, 10:22 AM
Right now, it seems to me that they built this album to become a great foundation for remixes.

I think they're goal is to provide a start for other DJ's to add their flair, which is a great way to solidify yourself to a new generation who weren't exposed to Technologic or Around the World.

It's different but familiar at the same time. I like it.

8/10

GS430
05-23-2013, 10:26 AM
Here's the issue with EDM "fans" these days..

They need huge buildups with massive drops, not a lot of people appreciate the down tempo, chill stuff.

That's why everyone's so disappointed with this album, and all the 'hype' that surrounded it.

flipstah
05-23-2013, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by GS430
Here's the issue with EDM "fans" these days..

They need huge buildups with massive drops, not a lot of people appreciate the down tempo, chill stuff.

That's why everyone's so disappointed with this album, and all the 'hype' that surrounded it.

I have no idea how the EDM culture is like nowadays. Is 'dubstep' EDM?

Because it's shit.

GS430
05-23-2013, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by flipstah

I have no idea how the EDM culture is like nowadays. Is 'dubstep' EDM?

Because it's shit.

haha I guess it's all subjective, certain kinds of dubstep I hate (excision, etc), but the laid back stuff is great.

I feel that younger electronic music fans are generally all over the place with music and get bored and impatient with chill beats.

Just my observation though.

Jonel
05-23-2013, 05:33 PM
Bonus track found in the Japanese hard copy
vhHYDFc4Rck

flipstah
05-24-2013, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by Jonel
Bonus track found in the Japanese hard copy
vhHYDFc4Rck

Digging Giorgio by Moroder, Instant Crush so far. :thumbsup: Starts slow but then it goes on a rollercoaster of mid-upbeat tempo to mellow then back.

I like it.

GS430
05-24-2013, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by flipstah

Digging Giorgio by Moroder, Instant Crush so far. :thumbsup: Starts slow but then it goes on a rollercoaster of mid-upbeat tempo to mellow then back.

I like it.

Giorgio is my favorite track too.

Here's the original from 1978

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3y99tqOu-PY

Ven
05-25-2013, 09:17 PM
This album is a turd. Faith shaken.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
05-25-2013, 09:21 PM
A friend bought the album today, I found it was too soft and mellow for my likings but im sure there will be great remixes!

Super_Geo
06-03-2013, 11:25 PM
This album has really grown on me. For those on the fence after the initial listen through I'd seriously recommend giving it couple more shots. There are a bunch of gems in there.

l/l/rX
06-05-2013, 12:51 PM
I don't know what's worse, this album or mininmal (ie Luciano). I guess this album has a bit more of a tempo to it.

schocker
06-05-2013, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by l/l/rX
I don't know what's worse, this album or mininmal (ie Luciano). I guess this album has a bit more of a tempo to it.
This album seems to have left you with severely rustled jimmies
http://i.imgur.com/2YrF8Uq.gif