PDA

View Full Version : When do you pay for the car?

subout
03-24-2013, 10:33 PM
Hi,
I am ready to buy a Subaru Outback 2013 this week. Here's what I expect: I am going to trade-in a car and then pay the difference in cash (well... bank draft).

This may sound stupid but I just want to confirm that I got it right:

Once the dealership and I have agreed on the price, I will need to sign papers: However, given that I am looking for a manual transmission in white, chances are they don't have it in stock and I'll have to wait some time for delivery. In the meantime:

1. When do I give them my trade-in?
2. When do I give them the rest of the money? (I suppose I give the money when they deliver the car).

I am assuming that if I don't need to give them the trade-in right away as well as the remainder of the money, I will at least have to give a deposit to seal the transaction?

SInce there are onyl two Subaru dealerships in town and since a lot of people have had bad experience at both locations, I am concerned that upon delivery, something's wrong with the new car (e.g. scuff/scratches on the car, more than 50kms on the odometer, etc..). What do you recommend in this situation?

Anybody has experience with that?
I'm in Calgary by the way.

Thanks a lot in advance.

eglove
03-24-2013, 10:36 PM
You don't give them the car until the delivery date of your new car, you don't give them money until the delivery date of your new car. You do give them a refundable deposit for the car you want

TopGearUK
03-24-2013, 11:01 PM
You pay and drop off your car on the day you pick up your new one.

Since it sounds like you're nervous about delivery, I would ask to look at the vehicle first before signing the paper work. Also, if the vehicle has over 50km don't worry about it too much because its normal. Don't be afraid to ask about the km because it could be from a dealer trade from another Alberta dealership.

roopi
03-24-2013, 11:14 PM
If you leave a deposit get a receipt that clearly says it is refundable. I just don't want to read another story about someone not getting their deposit back.

subout
03-25-2013, 09:34 PM
Thank you for your answers.

Now I have never traded in a car before so I am looking for experience here. Let's say the dealership has to order a car and it takes 3 weeks. How does it work for the trade-in?
What I mean is that the dealership will offer me a certain price on my trade-in and I will be handing the car to the dealership upon delivery of the new car (i.e. three weeks after the entire deal has been agreed on). What if something happens to the car during the three weeks or what if I put another 2000km on it?

theken
03-25-2013, 10:05 PM
km should be fine, I had to wait 2 weeks for my car to be ready, ask the dealership if you have major concerns

Zero102
03-26-2013, 07:29 AM
I traded in a car on the last car I bought, it was about 2 weeks from the signing date until I was able to pick the car up because they had to transfer it from another dealership. They gave me a value for my car on the date that we signed all the papers and I left a deposit. I asked what is supposed to happen since obviously I would be driving my trade-in car for those 2 weeks until my new car was ready. They told me they expect me to put on a reasonable number of km, of course, but if I put like 10,000 or something on in those 2 weeks they would re-evaluate the value of my car and adjust the payment amount if necessary. Also if anything happened to it during that time (i.e. you are involved in a collision) that they would also re-evaluate the amount the trade-in is worth, but either way I was still obligated to go through with the sale or lose my deposit.

Aleks
03-26-2013, 07:55 AM
I've bought my last 3 Subarus at Centaur. But I've only dealt with managers there and they are good guys. On my last one there were a couple of blemishes on the back bumper and they had the tech polish it off while we inspected the car.

Congrats on the new ride by the way.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
03-26-2013, 07:59 AM
Our Crosstrek had 13km on it when we took delivery, I'd expect a new car to be the same assuming someone hasn't taken it out for a test drive before they sell it to you.

silvercivicsir
03-26-2013, 11:43 AM
My forester had 11kms on delivery. so I think 50kms is way more then reasonable.

Type_S1
03-26-2013, 11:52 AM
I would suggest checking prices on kijiji before trading your vehicle in.

Heck, post it on beyond for $1000 more then they offered you and probably will sell it within a day

ercchry
03-26-2013, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by Type_S1

Heck, post it on beyond for $1000 more then they offered you and probably will sell it within a day

depending what it is that might be a wash, or even a loss compared tot he trade in... since you save the value of your trade in on the amount of GST paid

ie. trade in value of $30k=$1500 savings on GST

ddduke
03-26-2013, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by Type_S1
I would suggest checking prices on kijiji before trading your vehicle in.

Unless you're like the average person I've encountered that gets offered 10k, claims online it was 13k and will "settle" for 13500-14k.

aqure591
03-26-2013, 08:25 PM
I traded in my car for a new vehicle and had to wait almost a month before I took delivery. I parked my trade in car in the garage to make sure nothing happened to it (might not be the case in other situations, I had another car to drive around in the meantime).

My sales guy also told me that they re evaluate the trade in vehicle prior to signing papers and pick up of new car, in case when they made the original offer something has happened. So, I would say be careful and hope nothing happens while you wait....

Originally posted by subout
Thank you for your answers.

Now I have never traded in a car before so I am looking for experience here. Let's say the dealership has to order a car and it takes 3 weeks. How does it work for the trade-in?
What I mean is that the dealership will offer me a certain price on my trade-in and I will be handing the car to the dealership upon delivery of the new car (i.e. three weeks after the entire deal has been agreed on). What if something happens to the car during the three weeks or what if I put another 2000km on it?