PDA

View Full Version : Review: Indonesian Kitchen

LollerBrader
03-25-2013, 12:32 PM
It's been years since I've had Indonesian. Google showed two restaurants in town: Indonesian kitchen in Forest Law, and Kaffir Lime near Chinook.

First we tried the "indonesian kitchen" in FL. The modest storefront and lunctime-special sign in the window suggested this wasn't quite the dining experience we were looking for.

So we drove down south, to check out "Kaffir Lime". After some search, we realized that (WTF) it was part of the Kingsland Farmer's market, part of the food court. Doors were locked, and signs advised entering through the rear door.

WTF? DEFINITELY not the dining experience we were looking for.

So, we rolled up our windows and headed back to Forest Lawn.

Upon entering, we were very pleasantly surprised to see a wonderfully subdued, exotic pacific ambience. Decor, artwork, and lighting were thoughtfully and tastefully executed.

A few racks of ethnic food items for sale near the front both distracted and detracted from the ambience, but did rather add to the character of the place.

The restaurant is family run, and the staff are very personable. The food was excellent, and exactly what I was looking for. Portions were modest, but delicious.

Bill was $55 for two, no booze, not including tip.

If one is on a date, and the date has an adventurous spirit, this place will definitely impress.

The exterior of this restaurant does not do credit to what lies inside - Which in retrospect, rather adds to the experience.

Solid 8.5/10. Will be returning.

Tik-Tok
03-25-2013, 12:42 PM
Kaffir lime is for take out, lol.

Isaiah
03-25-2013, 12:52 PM
Never tried Indonesian. Why can you compare it to? Moroccan?

xrayvsn
03-25-2013, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by Isaiah

More like Thai and Philipino. A lot like Malaysian.

LollerBrader
03-25-2013, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by Isaiah

Think Thai meets Indian.

you&me
03-25-2013, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by LollerBrader

Think Thai meets Indian.

Sounds great.

Any suggestions as to what dishes I should try as a first-time Indo diner?

flipstah
03-25-2013, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by xrayvsn

More like Thai and Philipino. A lot like Malaysian.

It's more close to Thai and Malaysian than Filipino. Indonesian has a spicier theme. More curries from what I've experienced before.

Filipino is more Spanish.

Very excited about this place!

EDIT: Looked it up to be more specific.

Javanese is close to Filipino while Sundanese is the cuisine I was referring to.

LollerBrader
03-25-2013, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by flipstah

It's more close to Thai and Malaysian than Filipino. Indonesian has a spicier theme. More curries from what I've experienced before.

Filipino is more Spanish.

Very excited about this place!

If you know a girl who is adventurous and impressed by the esoteric, take her here - Fast track to panty removal.

Moroccan castle is pretty reliable for this, but hardly esoteric anymore.

LollerBrader
03-25-2013, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by you&me

Sounds great.

Any suggestions as to what dishes I should try as a first-time Indo diner?

I'm hampered by not remembering the Indonesian names.

There was a spicy chicken dish that was ok, but I care not to muck with the bones when eating out. Wouldn't order again.

There was a coconut beef dish that was great. Sate vegetables are great.

Loved the Cassava fries, but I always get excited over cassava.

The ginger tea after dinner was fantastic, and highly recommended.

n1zm0
03-25-2013, 03:32 PM

There was a coconut beef dish that was great. [/B]

beef rendang? Although the original indonesian one is nothing like the malaysian one, still awesome either way, I should give this place a try most definitely

LollerBrader
03-25-2013, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by n1zm0

beef rendang? Although the original indonesian one is nothing like the malaysian one, still awesome either way, I should give this place a try most definitely

That's the one.

Nasi Goreng is the only dish I can remember, and only because it reminds me of a certain Luftwaffe commander.

flipstah
03-25-2013, 04:12 PM

If you know a girl who is adventurous and impressed by the esoteric, take her here - Fast track to panty removal.

Moroccan castle is pretty reliable for this, but hardly esoteric anymore.

Nice!

Beaze
03-25-2013, 05:03 PM
I love Kaffir Lime & Kingsland Farmer's Market. I had the satay Lamb curry (peanut based) as a special for lunch. twas tasty.

Little off topic, they have pretty good Mexican food too. Taco selection is pretty good they have cow's stomach and a few other specialty organ meats.

flipstah
03-25-2013, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by Beaze
I love Kaffir Lime & Kingsland Farmer's Market. I had the satay Lamb curry (peanut based) as a special for lunch. twas tasty.

Little off topic, they have pretty good Mexican food too. Taco selection is pretty good they have cow's stomach and a few other specialty organ meats.

Did they have lingua? :drool: