PDA

View Full Version : Sensory deprivation tanks (isolation tanks) in Calgary?

DeleriousZ
03-25-2013, 04:27 PM
Wondering if there's anyone out there that knows where I could find access to a sensory deprivation tank in the Calgary area? Google hasn't come up with anything that I can see.

For anyone who doesn't know what they are:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isolation_tank

woodywoodford
03-25-2013, 04:31 PM
That seems pretty cool... not sure what you do with it but I'd pay for a half hour.

Edit: sounds like a place called "Eden's Cove" by SAIT has it based on http://www.neckbeard.ca/r/Calgary/comments/192dsm/anywhere_in_calgary_i_can_use_a_sensory

GS430
03-25-2013, 04:36 PM
I'm pretty interested in this as well.

Seems like Vancouver has some, can't find anything in Calgary though.

Edit** Found a studio in Edmonton, it's 50$/hr. I might try it out.

http://edmonton.kijiji.ca/c-services-health-beauty-Floatation-Tank-W0QQAdIdZ440568766

DEATH2000
03-25-2013, 05:13 PM
Remand. Just go be a dick and try to fight people once their and they will stick you in Solitary for a bit :).

DeleriousZ
03-25-2013, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by woodywoodford
That seems pretty cool... not sure what you do with it but I'd pay for a half hour.

Edit: sounds like a place called "Eden's Cove" by SAIT has it based on http://www.neckbeard.ca/r/Calgary/comments/192dsm/anywhere_in_calgary_i_can_use_a_sensory

Yeah I found that place and got the gf to check it out. From what she told me, they're shutting down in a month or something like that which is too damn bad.

Not sure if any of you listen to Joe Rogan's podcast, but he's mentioned it a few times and says that it's a completely life changing experience, that anyone can experience, without the use of any psychoactive compounds. It basically eliminates all of your senses to the point where you're just pure thought. Supposedly it's very good at stripping yourself of your ego, stress, pain, etc.

Tik-Tok
03-25-2013, 05:50 PM
If it's anything like floating in a hot-tub in the dead of the night with the jets and lights off, it's definitely relaxing, and stress-relieving. Almost meditative.

DeleriousZ
03-25-2013, 06:08 PM
?v=KeqmKwsvM58

NSFW language. there's a censored version linked in the video.

ianmcc
03-25-2013, 06:28 PM
Watch "Altered States" first-you may change your mind on the sensory deprivation tank.

CanmoreOrLess
03-25-2013, 07:37 PM
Nice little market for used tanks: http://floatation.biz/tanks-for-sale/

In August a big conference in Portland (the new cool city), see videos from 2012: http://floatconference.com/buy-tickets/

Float map with locations: http://floatation.biz/floatfinder/

Cos
03-25-2013, 08:04 PM

DeleriousZ
03-25-2013, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by ianmcc
Watch "Altered States" first-you may change your mind on the sensory deprivation tank.

Pretty sure I'm not going to turn into an ape, cave in a room, or go back to the original being lol.

sexualbanana
03-25-2013, 11:36 PM
I can't believe no one has made a Fringe joke yet

DeleriousZ
03-25-2013, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by sexualbanana
I can't believe no one has made a Fringe joke yet

If Dr. Walter Bishop wanted me to get into a sensory tank, I'd definitely oblige lol.

heavyfuel
03-25-2013, 11:52 PM
Damn I should get one of those.

jeremyn
03-26-2013, 12:55 AM
Originally posted by woodywoodford

EDEN'S COVE FTW!
That's run by my buddy and his girlfriend!
I've gone into the tank and its a definitely worth doing.
It's hard to stay floating perfectly still at first but just relax and you'll enjoy it.
Kinda like floating in the dead sea if you've ever done that, you can't sink!!

If you're interested heres the fb group, http://www.facebook.com/groups/edenscovefloatation/?fref=ts
it may or may not be a closed group so pm me if you want his info!

I know that they are shutting down the "business" very very quickly so get in a float if you can!!

Cost is a "donation" with the recommended donation of I believe 50$ I believe.

LollerBrader
03-26-2013, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by DeleriousZ
Wondering if there's anyone out there that knows where I could find access to a sensory deprivation tank in the Calgary area? Google hasn't come up with anything that I can see.

For anyone who doesn't know what they are:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isolation_tank

15 years ago there was one down on 4th just up from Tantra.

I always wanted to go, and was sad when it closed.

Never heard of any other, but never looked again.

If you find another, post here. I WILL go.

CapnCrunch
03-26-2013, 02:24 PM
Can you pee in it?

sexualbanana
03-26-2013, 02:32 PM

If Dr. Walter Bishop wanted me to get into a sensory tank, I'd definitely oblige lol.

Don't forget the LSD

DeleriousZ
03-26-2013, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by CapnCrunch
Can you pee in it?

No man, you can't pee in it.

ercchry
03-26-2013, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by sexualbanana

Don't forget the LSD

rogan is all about the DMT

but yeah, reminds me of that simpsons episode when homer and lisa go... then the repo company comes and hauls homer away and he ends up in the ocean :rofl:

msommers
03-26-2013, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by ercchry

but yeah, reminds me of that simpsons episode when homer and lisa go... then the repo company comes and hauls homer away and he ends up in the ocean :rofl:

First thing that came to mind.

LollerBrader
03-26-2013, 03:38 PM

No man, you can't pee in it.

If the tank is doing it's job, you wouldn't know if you did.

JordanEG6
03-26-2013, 04:18 PM
Tried it a couple weeks ago and I'm scheduled for a float session again this Thursday.

It's very relaxing, but unless you're 100% used to floating/meditating, it will take a few sessions to get a good handle on it. Every time I 'zone' out I end up hitting the tank wall which interrupts the float. But it's a nice experience when you get used to it.

revelations
03-26-2013, 07:36 PM
Sounds like a good idea, you can also experience something similar with binaural tones, assuming youre in a comfortable position.

Part of this whole concept forms the concious->body->subconcious connection.

DeathBy240
03-27-2013, 08:55 AM
I did it in Barcelona a couple years ago. Pretty cool experience. But yeah, floating into the side of the tank is annoying. There was also some loud street traffic which took away from the experience.

Next, I want to try an anechoic chamber!

Akumaz
03-27-2013, 10:40 AM
if anyone know of a place, please PM me,
i would love to try this out
i tried calling Eden's Cove but the phone number seemed to be wrong..

sabad66
03-27-2013, 02:12 PM
Try Eden's cove again at 587-351-8401.

schurchill39
03-30-2013, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by DeathBy240

Next, I want to try an anechoic chamber!

The university of Saskatchewan has one, its a very very strange feeling. It feels as if your ears are plugged. You could be looking at someone talking to you and not hear anything but if you turn your head or move left or right it sounds like they are right beside your head.

DeleriousZ
04-30-2013, 03:38 PM
http://premasai.com/detoxifcation/

Looks like these guys have a tank. $65 per one hour session.

GS430
04-30-2013, 03:52 PM

Man, just reading that put me in a relaxed state of mind haha.

I'm definitely trying it next time I am in the 403.

jwslam
04-30-2013, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by LollerBrader
If the tank is doing it's job, you wouldn't know if you did.
Totally my thought.

sabad66
04-30-2013, 05:26 PM

this is actually the same tank that was Eden's cove. They moved it after they shut down at the house.

sputnik
04-30-2013, 08:20 PM
Is it just me or does anyone else want to punch someone who claim that they can "detoxify" you?

Cos
04-30-2013, 08:53 PM

Tej.S
04-30-2013, 08:56 PM

If anyone visits this place, let me know how it goes. I kinda feel like trying one of these.

DeleriousZ
04-30-2013, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by sputnik
Is it just me or does anyone else want to punch someone who claim that they can "detoxify" you?

You don't like the concept of detoxification, or the idea that someone feels they can detoxify another person?

JfuckinC
05-01-2013, 12:41 AM
yCYglCDgpu0

DeleriousZ
05-01-2013, 01:36 PM
Pretty cool documentary! VICE is awesome.

sputnik
05-01-2013, 01:51 PM
You don't like the concept of detoxification, or the idea that someone feels they can detoxify another person?

I don't believe in the belief (or scam) regarding claims that you need some magical process or diet/cleanse to remove so-called built up toxins from your body.

That said, I have nothing wrong with people wanting to relax in a dark salty tub.

hhob5rSabJ4

TomcoPDR
03-02-2017, 12:47 AM
Tried the tank version, keeping the "business" out of it (just a normal wellness clinic kinda thing). I'm more bias on not seeing this technique booming, so don't want to drag the business down without cause.

But the topic of my 1st experience sensory deprivation tank.

So take it as a disclaimer, it was my first try at this, as mentioned earlier comments, even though it's about king size bed perimeter, I still found myself floating all over the place hitting the walls then found myself playing "spaceman" bouncing around on purpose for fun. The concept that not knowing how many have used the tank (what they do/how dirty/how honestly it gets filtered was playing in my mind the whole time, so I couldn't zone out in peace), with door closed in tank the vent or air circling system didn't give ME enough air/ I found I had hard time breathing. The smell in there, the chlorine or whatever mixed with Epsom salt and the slimy texture on your skin, makes me feel like I was in a pool of bukkake.

I couldn't get comfy in the arms to thigh position, my tricep muscles felt really heavy. So I did the arms above head, or arms on belly.

Was only brave enough to turn lights off for 0.5 seconds, really freaky.

The ambient of the underwater light, and looking up into the tank's ceiling silhouette of myself as ET floating around; that was trippy.

Washing off the slimy took forever.

Right now this particular place is offering a promo $39 for 90 minutes... by the time I showered up and waited on my float mate, I only lasted 15-18 minutes in the tank.

I felt way more relaxed playing on the iPhone in their detox room (a couch, free water/tea/honey, and sunlight)

I don't see the "hype", if there is any at all. Hopefully from the start of this thread, those with awesome trippy experience can chime in.

JRSC00LUDE
03-02-2017, 07:44 AM
Sounds like you went to a shitty place given the water quality you mention and also, that you didn't really try the experience as intended.

I'm real skeptical of stuff like this but did go try one in Vancouver a year or so ago at a real high end place. Everything was highly sterile and very comfortable. I tried to go in with a very open mind and it was intriguing.

It definitely took a few minutes to properly relax into floating so there was no muscle tension which creates the discomfort. Shutting your mind off is a real skill but I definitely managed to relax for awhile. I started experiencing a ton of light auras, all kinds of colours and it didn't matter if my eyes were open or closed, they didn't go away so I wasn't seeing them optically or whatever. Kind of surreal, super trippy.

I can see how it wouldn't do anything for lots of people and how it could for some. Personally my mind is always loaded, working in a constant high stress environment, I'm the type who wakes up 4 or 5 times a night thinking about projects, issues, etc. Finding a way to take an hour and actually shut down was of value to me but, like most things, it's mostly mental gymnastics. It's no miracle pod, but it did facilitate a way for me to relax in a manner I could buy into. Placebo effect? Probably. But of functional use for me.

TomcoPDR
03-03-2017, 12:27 AM
^ I might have to give it another try someday then.

Mitsu3000gt
03-03-2017, 10:05 AM
A friend of mine did one near Inglewood. It sucked because you could still hear traffic, trains, etc. which totally ruins the experience. Ones in less busy areas are probably better.

JRSC00LUDE
03-03-2017, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
A friend of mine did one near Inglewood. It sucked because you could still hear traffic, trains, etc. which totally ruins the experience. Ones in less busy areas are probably better.

Yeah, the one I went to out in Vancouver was built with a very high budget. They paid impressive detail to sound attenuation in the room construction. The entire build/layout/environment was tailor made to the experience which is likely what made it so accommodating to buy into.

The only reason I haven't been back to one is my experience is tainted now. Going somewhere else would be like getting out of a GT3 and lapping a track in a half-ton for the rest of the day. I'd spend the whole time remembering how good it WAS and unable to enjoy the experience again.

BigDL
03-03-2017, 10:31 AM
I went to one run out of someones house in Ranchlands and it was a interesting experience. It felt good to just float and relax, and when I was able to zone out after stabilizing and not hitting the walls it it was neat with my mind just doing its own thing.

Alterac
03-03-2017, 11:18 AM
There is one in silver springs also,

http://www.onelovefloat.com/

I drive by that place regularly but have never went.

R-Audi
03-03-2017, 01:02 PM
Just saw on FB that Floatlife has a special for $35 for the month of march... gonna try it out.

TomcoPDR
03-03-2017, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by R-Audi
Just saw on FB that Floatlife has a special for $35 for the month of march... gonna try it out.

Yes please do and share experience.

Good thread, I might go and try again and see if I can PTFO this time

JordanEG6
03-03-2017, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by TomcoPDR

Yes please do and share experience.

Good thread, I might go and try again and see if I can PTFO this time

Tried the Float Life in downtown. It features the egg pods, which I enjoyed. For those who are into the calming music and mood lighting, it's a nice unit. I shut it all off and I enjoy it dark and silent personally.

Did a 60 minute float, they make you a tea afterwards and you can chill out in this little meditation/calming room, sink into a bean bag, sip some tea and read/meditate.

I would like to try the Marda Loop location as they have actual float chambers as opposed to the pods so you can sprawl out and float in a a nice open space and not have to worry about hitting the sides of the tank causing you to 'snap out of it'.

https://scontent-sjc2-1.cdninstagram.com/t51.2885-15/s640x640/sh0.08/e35/c179.0.720.720/16788487_270201536748787_2747268409182912512_n.jpg

R-Audi
03-03-2017, 04:41 PM
Im booked for toorrow at 8:30am... It was the only available time.

nzwasp
03-04-2017, 08:34 PM
I thought there was a place on 17th ave SW (around that shaganappi area) in the condo building there. Always thought about trying it never had any time though..

quick_scar
03-04-2017, 11:12 PM
Thanks for posting the sale!

GF and I are booked for the 19th. First time that fit our schedule that we can float at the same time. Looking forward to it!!

Dumbass17
03-05-2017, 09:23 AM
Float Life in Kensington
https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://floatlife.ca/&ved=0ahUKEwiw5ZTl1b_SAhVh6IMKHXG1DEMQFgjPATAa&usg=AFQjCNE2uiVZM2i8TEgZAjhF0BFEWMSjxw&sig2=l6qEU2tiFfJuukog1DIYxA

C_Dave45
03-05-2017, 05:04 PM
I go into my hot tub and pull the cover down over me. I float on my back, with the water covering my ears. Complete darkness, and can't hear anything buy my own breathing.

OTown
03-05-2017, 05:14 PM
I think of this every time I see this thread
oFM1SiXgr8A

kvg
03-05-2017, 05:37 PM
I have tinnitus, so I'm sure it would be hell for me.

R-Audi
03-06-2017, 09:43 AM
Review of my floatlife appointment in Marda Loop:

My appointment was at 8:30am, so I was the first one of the day to use the tank. Everything was extremely clean and easy to check in. They supplied towel, silicon earplugs, facecloth, neck pillow if required and bodywash/shampoo/conditioner. The private room is decently sized considering it is meant for single use; two stools, hooks on the door, nice sized shower and of course the pod. Pod itself was bigger than expected, about the size of a king sized bed and Id guess at least 7 feet tall inside. It had buttons on the inside for lights (pink) and music.

Water in the pod was quite warm and I was surprised with how easy it was to simply float. (Didnt need the neck pillow at all) I found the pink light distracting, so I went with the lights and music off. (Could barely hear the music with earplugs in anyways) I'd say I lasted ~40mins trying to do some deep breathing/not moving before I got a little bored and started messing around. (pushing from wall to wall, stretching, seeing if I could sink myself etc..) When your session is over the lights automatically turn on to signal you to get out and shower. This location didnt seem to have any sort of post float tea lounge, so I showered, paid and went to Starbucks.

For the next few hours I felt extremely relaxed, pretty similiar feeling to just getting out of a massage (minus the soreness) I definitely enjoyed it and the person working there said it normally takes a few times to get used to it and really work on relaxing. At $35 I could see doing it a few times, at $50 Im not so sure. The $35/60mins deal is for the month of March, so it may be worth trying if you are at all interested.