PDA

View Full Version : ridicilous amounts of data and montly usages on bell

gkAeris
03-26-2013, 11:07 AM
Has anyone been experiencing spikes of data usage on there phones?

i have a 6GB monthly plan and Bell said i used 11GB in the month, and 5 GB of data in a 3 day period.

6 GB data - Smartphone Mobile Browser Usage (5100.06 MB) $255.01

i tried to call and talk to the manager and he said the usage is valid and i have to pay for it, how can i prove i didn't use it, and NO i didn't use it.

same with my data roaming, i turned off ALL roaming so i won't get charged and they said i used

Incollect UMTS 699 Mob. Browser Roaming Usage (15.14 MB) $242.19

any suggestions would be appreicated.

lilmira
03-26-2013, 11:15 AM
Where were you and what have you been doing with your phone?

whiskas
03-26-2013, 11:27 AM
I used 18GB of data last month on Wind, my total cell bill was $36.50

I think your carrier is your problem.

gkAeris
03-26-2013, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by lilmira
Where were you and what have you been doing with your phone?
For the data roaming I was on a cruise ship but the thing is I turned off data roaming...

For the monthly usage I was in Calgary, I have wifi at home and at work I won't be using data unless I'm out at lunch or off work and out...

It is time to change carriers I think... It just sucks they don't feel like retaining a long time customer!

LollerBrader
03-26-2013, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by whiskas

Bell is the "America" of cell phone providers.

It's so fcking big it's slow to realize that it's already dead.

Xtrema
03-26-2013, 11:40 AM
Why kind of phone? Any issue with e-mail syncs?

My exchange sync went nuts on my Android 4.1 that it created 6GB of traffic in 10days. I have to blow setting away and recreate the sync.

But since I'm on WIND, I don't really have to care about crap like this.

Boosted131
03-26-2013, 11:47 AM
How do you even use the 6gb?? I never go over my 500 mb. Did you teather it to a computer or something?

It's easy to use 200gb in a month on the computer but not phone

gkAeris
03-26-2013, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by Xtrema
Why kind of phone? Any issue with e-mail syncs?

My exchange sync went nuts on my Android 4.1 that it created 6GB of traffic in 10days. I have to blow setting away and recreate the sync.

But since I'm on WIND, I don't really have to care about crap like this.

iPhone 4S

I turned off the emails while I was on vacation....

And I don't even know how to tether! It's solely a usage on the phone and I never even used close to 6gb in my lifetime let alone 11gb.

But he still adamantly says I used it so what else can I do?

AndyL
03-26-2013, 11:53 AM
Apple product? :)

Dunno, my androids been actually low on usage for the past few months... I'm still having better luck (and better rates) with Ma bell than I did with the other providers...

woodywoodford
03-26-2013, 12:02 PM
I've only ever been over 1GB once, when I spent two weeks in the field and just surfed the 9gag app all day every day. 16 gb is completely retarded, but it's gotta be something to do with the cruise (roaming was off, maybe there's other data services that were left on and going the whole trip?)

GQBalla
03-26-2013, 12:04 PM
i can reach six gbs in a month easily. LTE unfortunately is faster then my wifi.

did you ever have data on during your cruise?

benyl
03-26-2013, 12:05 PM
What version of iOS? I remember hearing about a data usage bug in 6.0 when it first came out. Don't know what came of it.

gkAeris
03-26-2013, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by benyl
What version of iOS? I remember hearing about a data usage bug in 6.0 when it first came out. Don't know what came of it.

That's exactly it, the spike of 5gb came from the day after I downloaded the latest OS... Do you have more information on this benyl?

Proyecto2000
03-26-2013, 12:24 PM
We had this happen at work with Bell a few months back on 3 lines.

It took me a week of phoning and complaining before we were credited. Took the 3 iPhones into the apple store and got them replaced free of charge.

Kinjou
03-26-2013, 12:34 PM
Do you use iCloud?

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4392397?start=0&tstart=0

Isaiah
03-26-2013, 12:46 PM
Esalate this with Bell and refer them to the well-documented issue of extreme data usage due to a faulty OS6. Google it and you'll find several sources:

http://www.dailytech.com/Apple+iPhone+5+Users+Stuck+with+Massive+Bills+Due+to+iOS+6+WiFi+Bug/article27858.htm

Now, there is even more fallout brewing from another iOS 6 calamity. IPhone 5 users around the world (including Verizon Wireless users here in the United States) have experienced extremely high cellular data usage even when connected to a Wi-Fi hotspot. In other words, even though users were properly connected to a Wi-Fi network (be it at home or a public hotspot) iOS 6 disregarded this and allowed the devices to continue pulling cellular data instead.

JfuckinC
03-26-2013, 12:53 PM
Stop streaming chinese Christmas music all day :dunno:

theken
03-26-2013, 05:49 PM
I also went wayyy up from normal on Bell, not too impressed, my wife went over and she only uses data on wifi.

DeeK
03-26-2013, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by whiskas
I used 18GB of data last month on Wind, my total cell bill was $36.50

This.

genesis0403
03-26-2013, 06:38 PM
My sister had data usage problems on her Iphone.
Even if it was on wifi, apparently it has been using her cellphone data instead

Supa Dexta
03-26-2013, 06:54 PM
I keep a counter on one of my home pages (cell/wifi) no way I wouldnt notice gigs flying by.

rage2
03-26-2013, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by LollerBrader
Bell is the "America" of cell phone providers.

It's so fcking big it's slow to realize that it's already dead.
WTF? I had my doubts about Bell but I was forced to switch at work and I love it now. I'm the only one that can use data at the saddledome during a flames game amongst all my friends on Rogers and fido. Travelled a lot and it works well everywhere.

GQBalla
03-26-2013, 10:09 PM
i got to admit also, i always heard bad things about bell. I switched cause i could get a HUGE discount.

Since i switched, i dont have any complaints

I get service everywhere i go

variance
03-26-2013, 10:40 PM
Are you using iCloud services to backup your phone including photos in the background?

eblend
03-26-2013, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by rage2

WTF? I had my doubts about Bell but I was forced to switch at work and I love it now. I'm the only one that can use data at the saddledome during a flames game amongst all my friends on Rogers and fido. Travelled a lot and it works well everywhere.

This is true for Rogers for sure, my friend has crappy reception there with them. I will throw it out there for completeness, but Wind has good reception at the Dome as well.

EK69
03-27-2013, 12:16 AM
Telus and bell share towers and have good coverage everywhere (even rural converage is good compared to Rogers)

"Bell as a company sucks" is what I think most ppl are trying to say when they say bell sucks
But then again the same could be said about the others :rofl: grass is greener on the other side dilemma

One (dis?) advantage Rogers has over bell/telus is it has edge service deployed whereas bell and telus and it's subsidiaries are all 3G or higher. My phone battery lasts longer on edge than 3G or higher.

DeleriousZ
03-27-2013, 12:29 AM
My buddy had something similar to this happen, I will try and remember to look it up tomorrow.

gkAeris
03-27-2013, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by Isaiah
Esalate this with Bell and refer them to the well-documented issue of extreme data usage due to a faulty OS6. Google it and you'll find several sources:

http://www.dailytech.com/Apple+iPhone+5+Users+Stuck+with+Massive+Bills+Due+to+iOS+6+WiFi+Bug/article27858.htm

yeah so Bell won't waived the charges still, how do i get Apple to?

thanks everyone for all there responses! its been helpful...

@JfuckinC.. it keeps me awake at work lol

quick_scar
03-27-2013, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by gkAeris

yeah so Bell won't waived the charges still, how do i get Apple to?

thanks everyone for all there responses! its been helpful...

@JfuckinC.. it keeps me awake at work lol

Good luck getting apple to pay for it :rofl:

Only fight you might be able to make is if your "settings > general > usage > cellular usage" statistics includes the last month (hasn't been reset) and is drastically less then what they said you used. If it is the same or higher, your pretty much screwed.

Chalk it up to a lesson learnt, and if you have any questions about if your phone will be using data while you travel, stop in at your carrier or at the apple store before you leave and have them verify the settings.

89coupe
03-27-2013, 02:20 PM
Turn your cellular data off for a week including the weekend and compare. A lot of times phones show they are using Wifi when really they aren't.

You can also install apps that track your data usage.

gkAeris
03-27-2013, 03:45 PM
I did turn on the notification lol, one day it said I was nearing my 6gb usage and the two days later they cut my data service because I used 5gb extra.....

I average about 1gb a month for the past 3 yrs

Well I'll call again and keep everyone posted

sillysod
03-27-2013, 06:25 PM
I don't understand how mobile companies can still get away with this. Everything else you use has a cap on it (with the exception of gas & electricity... to a point).

These $10,000 bills you see in the news here and there are total bullshit. I can't go and rack up that on my mastercard unless it has a limit of that. With a phone the bill cap is limitless. It should be like everything else where you can set an upper limit and when your bill hits that it gets disconnected. Then you can call your carrier and find out what's going on instead of just getting a $600 bill in the mail.

yoda124
03-27-2013, 07:15 PM
when I'm over my data usage I'm notified immediately via automated text message from Telus and is continuous if I keep going over my limit.Doesn't bell do this?

sillysod
03-28-2013, 08:09 AM
^^ That doesn't matter. How is it that even a High School student qualifies for the ability to rack up a $5000 bill. If that same person applied for a $1000 Visa card they would get laughed at by the bank and told to come back when they have a job.

The texts are great if you are watching your phone, but if your 6 year old kid is playing games on it and starts streaming videos in the back of the car when youre driving to Kelowna you just qualified for a massive bill.

Danny Meehan
03-28-2013, 09:10 AM
^ in your scenario, the parent will pay :) because was ~negligent~ on the way to Kelowna and will administer an ass whooping; AND that won't be even close considering we used to get the belt for less

Danny Meehan
03-28-2013, 09:17 AM
try using something similar

http://www.cellphones.ca/images/news/2009/11/rogers-fido-my-account-iphone-app-2.jpg

gkAeris
04-03-2013, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by genesis0403
My sister had data usage problems on her Iphone.
Even if it was on wifi, apparently it has been using her cellphone data instead

what was the outcome of this?

Originally posted by yoda124
when I'm over my data usage I'm notified immediately via automated text message from Telus and is continuous if I keep going over my limit.Doesn't bell do this?

yes bell sent me a notification i was close to my 6gb of data useage.

then 3 days later it was 5.1 over useage....

but i was connected to wifi at home and at work so i can't have used that data i don't even know how to tether...

gkAeris
04-08-2013, 01:27 PM
lol

this sucks, so i talked to Apple over the weekend, and apparently the big spike has nothing to do with the new OS i downloaded. FML i just got a text from Bell i'm yet again over the data usage of 6MB a month, even though my histroy for the last year i never go over 2MB....

i turned off data completely now....Bell refuses to even talk to me, haha talk about customer service....