PDA

View Full Version : Leveling Kit (2009 Ram)

JfuckinC
03-26-2013, 03:44 PM
Anyone have a reccomendation on a good company for leveling kits? Should i buy online or at a shop?

The ones i am looking at are Readylift and rough country. Ready lift is only 2.0" in the front and rough country is 2.5" in front and a 1.75" coil spacer in the back. Coil spacers don't seem that great to me, it takes away some supsension travel no? Never done a leveling kit before, just curious.

Thanks!

GOnSHO
03-26-2013, 04:41 PM
best info for this would be on Ramforumz.com

thats where i ask all my questions and there is a big group of us Ram guys in calgary and surrounding areas..

HO2S
03-26-2013, 04:51 PM
Ive put in a lot of readylift ones. They just stiffen up the front suspension a bit and don't take away from anything. In the instructions they say to just drop the track bar, sway bar, and the shocks and pull the springs out then put the spacer on the spring and install the spring back in. That is a lie, the left side will work like that but not the right. On the right side you have to compress the spring with those scary threaded bolt spring compressers and get some one to stand on the top of the rotor wile you pry bar the spring into place.
get a wheel alignment after. The stock caster adjusters have just enough adjustment to get the caster back into spec.

We order our kits from Grandwest.

ercchry
03-26-2013, 07:16 PM
spacers basically just increase your spring rate. no big deal... missing that old chevy where ya just turn a couple bolts to level it out? :rofl:

sxtasy
03-26-2013, 07:21 PM
Do it right and go with a Carli kit. Don't do spacers, more wear and tear on dodges already weak
Front end.

HO2S
03-26-2013, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by sxtasy
Do it right and go with a Carli kit. Don't do spacers, more wear and tear on dodges already weak
Front end.

$200 kit or a $900 kit, that's a big price difference just to fit slightly bigger tires.

I put the least amount of parts into dodge trucks compared to ford and gm.

Darell_n
03-26-2013, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by GOnSHO
best info for this would be on Ramforumz.com

thats where i ask all my questions and there is a big group of us Ram guys in calgary and surrounding areas..

You're on there too?

JfuckinC
03-27-2013, 08:53 AM
lol Ram forumz rejected my registration as spam?

Do leveling kits really put a strain on the front end? I don't really NEED one, but it would be nice to have some clearance for a little bit more rubber.. I'm buying some new 20's and want to maybe get a bit more aggressive with my summer rubber/stance.. To be honest i'm not even sure what rubber i can fit on because they are just stock dodge sport rims, i was going to figure that out after i got them powder coated.

The most i will 4x4 is just little shit to get to camping spots.. I don't really tow anything but a boat or dirt bikes from time to time..

HO2S
03-27-2013, 09:13 AM
Are we speaking a 1500 with independent suspension or a 2500/3500 with a solid front axle?

GOnSHO
03-27-2013, 09:27 AM
yepp im on there (banzai)

what username did you try and use? ill talk to the mods?

and hes alking a 1500, the only problem with lift the front to level is that you are now too tall for 90% of parking garages.. i plan on leveling mine out but doing the rear instead and dropping it a bit. I plan on running 24's

JfuckinC
03-27-2013, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by GOnSHO
yepp im on there (banzai)

what username did you try and use? ill talk to the mods?

and hes alking a 1500, the only problem with lift the front to level is that you are now too tall for 90% of parking garages.. i plan on leveling mine out but doing the rear instead and dropping it a bit. I plan on running 24's

Maybe it's because my email is my gmail with my company name in it?

Ya 1500 though..

haha i thought about that actually. I just got a new job where i dont park under ground anymore so i was like sweet i can level it... but I park in garages a lot on weekends so i can get drunk and leave it safely.... But then again its a good excuse for other people to drive downtown..

GOnSHO
03-27-2013, 09:43 AM
possibly, if you tried to used JfuckinC they may have an issue with the swear in the name??

lol yea, when i go to U of C or downtown im always like oh shit oh shit oh shit! haha

heavyfuel
03-31-2013, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by JfuckinC
lol Ram forumz rejected my registration as spam?

Do leveling kits really put a strain on the front end? I don't really NEED one, but it would be nice to have some clearance for a little bit more rubber.. I'm buying some new 20's and want to maybe get a bit more aggressive with my summer rubber/stance.. To be honest i'm not even sure what rubber i can fit on because they are just stock dodge sport rims, i was going to figure that out after i got them powder coated.

The most i will 4x4 is just little shit to get to camping spots.. I don't really tow anything but a boat or dirt bikes from time to time..

It won't put a strain on the front end. The problem will be with the control arms. If you keep the stock length control arms your diff will inevitably be pushed back towards the rear of the wheel well possibly causing rubbing once you hit a certain offset/tire size. I had this problem on my 04 Ram and I was only running 33's at the time. If you're looking for stance on 20's I'd highly recommend looking into control arms as well.

AE92_TreunoSC
03-31-2013, 08:29 PM
Leveling kits do change axle and pinion angles. Not enough to cause immediate damage but can cause issues over time. They also expose ball joints to angles they werent designed to operate in.

Unknown303
03-31-2013, 08:30 PM
The tires that come on the stock 20s is pretty much the max you can run. With a different offset rim you can run 35s with a levelling kit. I'm on ramforumz as well, same user name as here.

HO2S
04-01-2013, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by AE92_TreunoSC
Leveling kits do change axle and pinion angles. Not enough to cause immediate damage but can cause issues over time. They also expose ball joints to angles they werent designed to operate in.
In a truck with a soild front axle the pinion angle will change but not enough to cause a noise/vibration/wear. The very small rearward tilt the ball joints will move will be corrected when you adjust caster into spec.

This truck has independent suspension, That means the front diff is bolted to the frame and is not moving anywere. A leveling kit will only trash your wheel alignment. Its not going to break anything or cause any more stress. But your camber and caster will be out. The stock camber caster adjusters on the lower control arms may not be enough to get everything back in spec. It will turn into polishing a turd, trying to even out everything so it drives straight.

JfuckinC
04-03-2013, 03:09 PM
Fuck, i don't know what to do lol.. :nut:

I want to get 305/55's.. You guys are crushing my dreams!

sxtasy
04-03-2013, 06:04 PM
I'm no suspension expert, but I will tell you my experience with my 3500 Cummins. I put in a Revtech levelling spacer up front and 305/55/20's all around. I was having to do ball joints/tie rod ends and alignment for every set of tires I went through (roughly every 1.5 yrs). And don't forget a set of 305/55's will set you back close to 2 g's. My handling also went to shit, any rough road or gravel road was a terribly rough ride. Highways speeds above 130km/h were a little scary and hydroplaning on those tires are definately an issue. Not trying to crush your dreams though ;)

Cos
04-03-2013, 06:13 PM

Rat Fink
04-03-2013, 06:28 PM

Cos
04-03-2013, 06:41 PM

heavyfuel
04-04-2013, 07:52 AM
Originally posted by JfuckinC
Fuck, i don't know what to do lol.. :nut:

I want to get 305/55's.. You guys are crushing my dreams!

33.2" OD, IMHO don't settle for a leveling kit, get a 4" suspension upgrade, do it right and be done with it. Leveling kits lead to all sorts of problems. Armor Inc. in Red Deer knows what's up, what will fit and what won't, rubbing issues, etc.

Unknown303
04-04-2013, 08:34 AM
Check out this site; http://www.rimsntires.com/specs.jsp

And enter stock vs what you're looking at. The 20" tire is 33" tall. The tire you're looking at is only 33.2" and only adds an extra 0.6" to each side for width.

ercchry
04-04-2013, 09:03 AM
your math is weird

JfuckinC
04-04-2013, 09:12 AM
That website makes life a bit easier. Thanks uknown.

I guess i could get what i'm after much easier going with aftermarket wheels. It's too bad they are all so ugly haha :nut:

ercchry
04-04-2013, 09:17 AM
bro, you need rockstars... bro

GOnSHO
04-04-2013, 09:34 AM
no... lol :banghead:

JfuckinC
04-04-2013, 09:46 AM
Never haha.. I'd like KMC slides if they had a different offset.. -12 or -18 with the 305/55's and Fender flares maybe..

IT's hard to decide on anything when you havent seen in it real life haha.. I'm indecisive as fuck.