PDA

View Full Version : Badlands Motorsports Resort

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

JZatBMR
03-27-2013, 12:00 AM
Motorsports Enthusiasts:

After many years of development, we are pleased to announce that the first reading of our re-zoning application in Kneehill County to obtain a Direct Control District to develop a comprehensive Motorsports Facility, was approved almost unanimously (6:1) by council on March 12th, 2013.

The re-zoning application is to approve the development of a 4.4-mile multi-configuration Road Course, Paddock, Commercial Development, Non-motorsport Recreational Development, and Residential Development.

This is a significant step towards a World-Class Motorsports facility becoming a reality in Southern Alberta; a facility which is designed to meet the needs of a wide range of motorsports enthusiasts throughout Western Canada.

As many of you already know, this project has been in development since 2005. The process has taken longer than expected, but all issues have now been resolved.

We still have to go through a second reading (Public Hearing), which is scheduled for June 11th, 2013. However, based on information provided to us by the Development Office of the Kneehill County, we are confident that all of the concerns raised by the area citizens have been addressed and we are very optimistic that we will obtain the final approvals in June 2013.
Construction could start as soon as the Spring of 2014, with the track opening in 2015.

We have thoroughly updated the FAQ section of our website to reflect the recent developments and we have included much more detailed information about the project, the planned amenities, and the operation of the Road Course.

Please visit www.badlandsmotorsportsresort.com/faq.php for more information and for answers to many questions including:

Q: Why has no information been released about the project since 2009?
Q: Are there any Investment opportunities available?
Q: What are the phases of Development?
Q: When will construction commence and what is the proposed opening date?
Q: I have heard of another proposed Motorsports Development in Southern Alberta, is this the same one?
Q: How is this development different from any other proposed development in Alberta?
Q: Where is the development located?
Q: Do the principles of this development have any Motorsports experience?
Q: How much will memberships cost?
Q: Will there be financing options for memberships?
Q: How many members will the facility be able to accommodate?
Q: Will members be able to sell or transfer their Membership?
Q: What will I receive for my membership?
Q: Will there be a Kart track?
Q: Will the facility be open for driving events all year round?
Q: Given the climate in Alberta, How will it be possible for the Road Course to be open all year?
Q: What activities will take place on the Road Courses and Skid-pad?
Q: Will the Road Courses and Skid-pad be available to rent to non-members?
Q: Will there be a facility available for low-speed driver training and autocross events?
Q: Will there be Time Attack (Solo Sprint) at the Club?
Q: Will there be Wheel to wheel Competition events on the Road Courses?
Q: Will there be a drag strip or drag racing?
Q: When will you start accepting deposits for memberships, garages, and residential condos?
…And many more.

Please feel free to share this information with your fellow motorsports enthusiasts and club members.

Sincerely,

Jay Zelazo
President and CEO,
Badlands Recreational Development Corp.

Sentry
03-27-2013, 12:06 AM
Thought this project was long dead, good to hear otherwise.

The more race tracks in AB the merrier.

Artega
03-27-2013, 12:19 AM
Glad to hear this is back on the air with some update.

Congratulations and good luck.

A790
03-27-2013, 07:37 AM
Excellent news!

Tomaz
03-27-2013, 08:22 AM
Awesome! This is excellent news!

94boosted
03-27-2013, 09:27 AM
2015 Opening :clap: :clap: :clap:

Graham_A_M
03-27-2013, 09:39 AM
I can't wait, seriously

Sugarphreak
03-27-2013, 12:20 PM

Twin_Cam_Turbo
03-27-2013, 12:26 PM
So excited!

japan_us
03-27-2013, 12:40 PM
Can't wait till this is official so that I can start another track bike build. :)

mr2mike
03-27-2013, 12:49 PM
I like the road course plans so far.

speedog
03-27-2013, 01:44 PM
http://www.badlandsmotorsportsresort.com/images/project-map.jpg

94boosted
03-27-2013, 04:17 PM
4.4 Mile Full Course Length :eek: Sweeeeet.

Looks like this layout could facilitate 3 courses i.e. 3 seperate events at a time, that would be awesome.

Graham_A_M
03-27-2013, 05:00 PM
So is there going to be a drag strip? Looks like it'll be a lot of the same with Rat City, if they put it right by the grandstand close to the top.

haggis88
03-27-2013, 05:32 PM
excellent news...so should i start building a track car now? :D

GOnSHO
03-27-2013, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M
So is there going to be a drag strip? Looks like it'll be a lot of the same with Rat City, if they put it right by the grandstand close to the top.

it would be nice if they had a dedicated Drag strip..

sabad66
03-27-2013, 06:11 PM
Will there be a drag strip or drag racing?

The location prevents the availability of a dedicated NHRA/IHRA drag strip. The existing tracks in the Edmonton area and Medicine Hat will accommodate dedicated drag racing. However, it is recognized that many performance car owners wish to test the performance levels of their cars. So there will be Members events were Members will be able to test the ¼ performance of their car on the main straight of the Plateau Road Course. There also will likely be some heads up fun events where members can compete side by side in a drag race type event on the main straight using the clubs timing equipment.

Darell_n
03-27-2013, 06:33 PM
No drag strip, no care. :thumbsdow Nobody's going to properly prep the middle of a straight-away for 1/4 mile racing.

m10-power
03-27-2013, 06:43 PM
Drag strip combined on a road course is a terrible idea, dont think its in their plan at all.

DeleriousZ
03-27-2013, 06:46 PM
Wow this is awesome!!

LOLzilla
03-28-2013, 10:52 AM
Looks great. I can't believe it is only an hour away from the other track. There is going to be some combating for business I figure.

ercchry
03-28-2013, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by Darell_n
No drag strip, no care. :thumbsdow Nobody's going to properly prep the middle of a straight-away for 1/4 mile racing.

a track not full of hillbillies in alberta?! sign me up! :love:

flipstah
03-28-2013, 11:17 AM
Can Beyond technically become a 'corporate member'? :rofl:

89s1
03-28-2013, 11:18 AM
Great news, but more and more it looks like I might need a smaller turbo if i'm going to be road racing and auto crossing instead of drag racing.

89s1
03-28-2013, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by ercchry

a track not full of hillbillies in alberta?! sign me up! :love:

I shudder at the thought but I honestly wonder how long it will be until we see a "chipped and stacked" dodge ram rolling coal around a road course.

962 kid
03-28-2013, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by 89s1
Great news, but more and more it looks like I might need a smaller turbo if i'm going to be road racing and auto crossing instead of drag racing.

That's silly talk haha

Go4Long
03-28-2013, 11:50 AM

you don't need to "prep" the middle of a straight away, a straight away is "prepped" as long as there's nothing on it. How many national scale road courses do you see with a drag strip as their front straight? I think you could count them on one hand...

I'm glad there's no plan for an integrated drag strip. Might have to go back to my plan to build a track car some day.

KRyn
03-28-2013, 11:50 AM

My car's current setup is terrible for auto-x, it may be somewhat useful around a full track. This is exciting news for Alberta.

Duckman
03-28-2013, 11:51 AM

I shudder at the thought but I honestly wonder how long it will be until we see a "chipped and stacked" dodge ram rolling coal around a road course.

Dunno 'bout that but I've got official lap times on the full road course at Race City driving a bone stock GMC pick up equipped with the mighty 4.3 V6.

1:47's BTW and not quite 85mph into turn 1 :poosie:

msommers
03-28-2013, 11:53 AM
Fuck. Yes.

Xtrema
03-28-2013, 11:58 AM

Hey, at least some RAMs have independent rear suspensions. :rofl:

Maxt
03-28-2013, 12:01 PM
I am glad there is no integrated drag strip
Race city's front straight was like driving on mud when it was wet thanks to the drag strip portion.

Stewjoe
03-28-2013, 01:42 PM
Memberships starting at $10000 with annual dues :eek:

ercchry
03-28-2013, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by Stewjoe
Memberships starting at $10000 with annual dues :eek:

lifetime membership...

considering a day at race city could of easily ran you $300... and it was shit. its not too bad, plus there is also a payment plan option... and just like a golf course, its probably going to become a decent investment

sputnik
03-28-2013, 01:53 PM

lifetime membership...

considering a day at race city could of easily ran you $300... and it was shit. its not too bad, plus there is also a payment plan option... and just like a golf course, its probably going to become a decent investment

$10000 is the equity.

I would suspect that you would still be paying $2-3k per year after.

ercchry
03-28-2013, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by sputnik

$10000 is the equity.

probably, but you race once a week and its still a steal :dunno:

sputnik
03-28-2013, 02:11 PM
probably, but you race once a week and its still a steal :dunno:

How many people are willing to trailer their track car out to Drumheller on a weekly basis?

I guess if you don't do anything on the weekends normally it might be possible, but from Calgary you still have a 90 minute drive one way and 300km worth of fuel.

Don't even get me started on the summers where it seems like it rains every weekend.

89s1
03-28-2013, 02:16 PM
First, you don't need to trailer a car for it to be fun on a track

Second, tracks like these are viable in areas of the world (and even this country) where the populous has less disposable income than those of us living here, and are as far or further from the nearest urban centre.

Stop being such a wet blanket.

ercchry
03-28-2013, 02:18 PM

How many people are willing to trailer their track car out to Drumheller on a weekly basis?

I guess if you don't do anything on the weekends normally it might be possible, but from Calgary you still have a 90 minute drive one way and 300km worth of fuel.

Don't even get me started on the summers where it seems like it rains every weekend.

on site storage
rain is fun
chances are you'd go out for a weekend and race 2-3 days (long weekends) and either:
camp
stay in the hotel
setup a condo time share with a few people

also this is oil-berta, lots of people with cash working 2 on 2 off for filling those mid-week times

also you clearly dont:
camp
ski/snowboard
own a vacation property
snowmobile
off road
dirtbike
etc

so many people travel much further every weekend during their choice season of activity

sputnik
03-28-2013, 02:35 PM
on site storage
rain is fun
chances are you'd go out for a weekend and race 2-3 days (long weekends) and either:
camp
stay in the hotel
setup a condo time share with a few people

If you think you will be getting on-site storage included in your basic membership you are kidding yourself.

Break down the costs after your initial $10,000 membership is paid for and you are probably still looking at $600-800+ minimum per weekend of racing, and that is not including the cost of your track car or parts/maintenance/racefuel.

Comparing this to Race City but with a longer drive is a bit short-sighted.

also this is oil-berta, lots of people with cash working 2 on 2 off for filling those mid-week times

I guess if you like driving around a track alone on a Wednesday afternoon it might work for you.

sputnik
03-28-2013, 02:40 PM
First, you don't need to trailer a car for it to be fun on a track

Anyone serious/smart about racing will trailer their car to the track. Unless you have the trunk space for a couple sets of tires, spare parts and tools. The last thing you want is a disabled car 100+km from home.

Do you really think that there are going to be a ton of people on the track with street tires?

Second, tracks like these are viable in areas of the world (and even this country) where the populous has less disposable income than those of use living here, and are as far or further from the nearest urban centre.

Have an example of any other ones in Canada or the US that have a similar model?

Stop being such a wet blanket.

Sorry for being a realist, but at the end of the day I have a feeling that there are very few Beyonders with the money and the willingness to invest in a track membership that they may use only a few times a year.

ercchry
03-28-2013, 02:46 PM

If you think you will be getting on-site storage included in your basic membership you are kidding yourself.

Break down the costs after your initial $10,000 membership is paid for and you are probably still looking at $600-800+ minimum per weekend of racing, and that is not including the cost of your track car or parts/maintenance/racefuel.

Comparing this to Race City but with a longer drive is a bit short-sighted.

I guess if you like driving around a track alone on a Wednesday afternoon it might work for you.

holy fuck, its clearly not for you! but not being able to think about this from any other view point is making you sound fucking retarded

empty on a wednesday afternoon?! REALLY!? have you ever golfed mid-week?!

your $10k is an equity investment not a sunk cost. you will recoup it plus some if you sell.

you clearly have not met any racers. i know guys who run two series every year at tracks all around north america... at $2k/weekend IF nothing breaks... if you have a passion for it, you will spend the cash. period. is there enough people like that in western canada to make it a viable business? fuck yes

what other insane things do people do with their free time? oh, i dunno. how about ski racing as an example...

my uncle had 3 kids racing, 3.5hr away... every bloody week... i dont even what to know the cost involved between fuel, equipment, dues, etc, etc... and a LOT of kids spend their childhoods doing that

89s1
03-28-2013, 03:20 PM

Anyone serious/smart about racing will trailer their car to the track. Unless you have the trunk space for a couple sets of tires, spare parts and tools. The last thing you want is a disabled car 100+km from home.

Do you really think that there are going to be a ton of people on the track with street tires?

You don't need to have a dedicated race car on slick racing tires to have fun at a track day, and yes I feel there will be plenty of cars run there on DOT approved tires.

Have an example of any other ones in Canada or the US that have a similar model?

I simply meant race tracks, not world class facilities like this place is slated to be.

Sorry for being a realist, but at the end of the day I have a feeling that there are very few Beyonders with the money and the willingness to invest in a track membership that they may use only a few times a year.

Are you that short sighted? Do you think this offer is only open to beyonders or something?

HiTempguy1
03-28-2013, 03:20 PM

Every single one of them would be my guess (funds permitting).

Hell, an interesting "series" could be formed between racing on different weekends at Badlands and Castrol. Alberta could get two chumpcar/lemons events if they wanted I reckon.

89s1
03-28-2013, 03:22 PM

holy fuck, its clearly not for you! but not being able to think about this from any other view point is making you sound fucking retarded

empty on a wednesday afternoon?! REALLY!? have you ever golfed mid-week?!

your $10k is an equity investment not a sunk cost. you will recoup it plus some if you sell.

you clearly have not met any racers. i know guys who run two series every year at tracks all around north america... at $2k/weekend IF nothing breaks... if you have a passion for it, you will spend the cash. period. is there enough people like that in western canada to make it a viable business? fuck yes

what other insane things do people do with their free time? oh, i dunno. how about ski racing as an example...

my uncle had 3 kids racing, 3.5hr away... every bloody week... i dont even what to know the cost involved between fuel, equipment, dues, etc, etc... and a LOT of kids spend their childhoods doing that

Thank you.

Probably the best thing about this place is that its far enough away that the sand falling from sputniks vagina won't affect the traction.

You need to factor in the growth too. New generations of racers will be born because of a facility like this.

Darell_n
03-28-2013, 04:20 PM
Ok, I was confusing Badlands with Rockyview Motorsports track. Rockyview damn well better have a drag strip, Badlands is too far for me anyway.

Go4Long
03-28-2013, 04:28 PM
Anyone who thinks there's no people willing to spend money on racing in Alberta should go up to castrol for a race weekend, or strato for a bike weekend. Some of the race setups are worth more than my damn house.

$10k for a lifetime membership? some of these guys are spending nearly 50% of that every weekend of racing. And that's before you get in to some of the big muscle that Toma has posted some videos of from around town...

msommers
03-28-2013, 05:21 PM
I'm glad to see that on a car forum, there is actually good feedback from this. How many threads are about cars these days? I don't understand how someone couldn't be excited about this!

m10-power
03-28-2013, 07:12 PM
Ok, I was confusing Badlands with Rockyview Motorsports track. Rockyview damn well better have a drag strip, Badlands is too far for me anyway.

Dont think rockyview has a hope of happening, this is likely the best chance for southern alberta. But not drag racing so you may be sol.

89s1
03-28-2013, 08:29 PM
I still think tsu tina should build a drag strip on their land.

I'd use it. :dunno:

rx7_turbo2
03-28-2013, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by m10-power

Dont think rockyview has a hope of happening, this is likely the best chance for southern alberta. But not drag racing so you may be sol.

That's what I'm hearing through the "grapevine" as well. The Rockyview group doesn't have a snowballs chance in hell. So if you're a motorsports enthusiast this is about the only hope you have.

And Sputnik I'll try not an offend anyone here, but the average beyonder is not who this facility is aimed at;)

sputnik
03-28-2013, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by rx7_turbo2
And Sputnik I'll try not an offend anyone here, but the average beyonder is not who this facility is aimed at;)

That is basically what I am trying to say. Many have the impression that this will be a replacement for Race City.

However it is more like The Glencoe Club adding a new course after McCall Lake is closed.

This new motorsport park will be for those spending well over $10,000/year on racing above and beyond the costs associated with their cars. Not the enthusiast who builds a tuned daily driver that he takes to the drag or auto-x events on the weekends.

I am not doubting that there is a market for this. However only a select few (if any) will be coming from Beyond.

ercchry
03-28-2013, 10:24 PM
Just for you, I'll run days like i used to at RC... exactly the same way...

962 kid
03-28-2013, 10:27 PM
^^ how?

ercchry
03-28-2013, 10:36 PM
Same way rhys and i use to... am i the only one that reads? :confused:

KRyn
03-28-2013, 11:07 PM
10K is a steal compared to the Glencoe Club :rofl:

Maxt
03-28-2013, 11:40 PM
One would think the other activities would subsidize the cost of the racing and the cost of a track day would be cheaper than the days at Race City...
20 dollar time attack track days at Suzuka are looking pretty appealing, even with the cost of sending my car there and flying over there to go racing.

rx7_turbo2
03-29-2013, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by Maxt
One would think the other activities would subsidize the cost of the racing and the cost of a track day would be cheaper than the days at Race City...

Depends on how the facility is being run. If the ultimate goal of this facility is to generate revenue, then yes probably. However if the ultimate goal is for the owner of the facility to have a facility for themselves and a choice few others, then there is no guarantee the other activities will be used to subsidize the track aspect of the facility.

I still think this facility is the most viable option we have at the moment, and being optimistic is OK, just make it cautious optimism.

Sugarphreak
03-29-2013, 09:41 AM

racerjim
03-29-2013, 01:24 PM
Love this idea, 15 mins from home, ill head over for an evening most of the summer.

I agree that the $10,000 is a good investment, can you have fun with your 10K sitting in an rrsp? its just a savings account that you can sell off anytime.

After reading through all the FAQ's i think these guys have it figgured out and I would be willing to help them out, As a resident of Kneehill county, ill be at the meeting giving them my support.

Tik-Tok
03-29-2013, 01:28 PM
As much as I don't like it, no 1/4 mile is probably the only way they could get the re-zoning anyways. Auto-X typically doesn't have the noise pollution 1/4 mile tracks do, lol.

89s1
03-29-2013, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by KRyn
10K is a steal compared to the Glencoe Club :rofl:

Good point.

Anyone here a member at the Calgary winter club?

The membership fee there is big money too.

JZatBMR
03-29-2013, 03:36 PM
With regards to a dedicated drag strip, a few points:

1. I would love to build a dragstrip. The costs would not be that much. I used to take my Supra to Bud Park almost every weekend years ago. I tore it down years ago to do a 1100whp build with an IHRA cage in it, and it's still sitting around in my garage.

2. A drag strip needs to be either within the city limits or right outside the city limits. To be successful you need Friday and Saturday night events that go late in the night.

3. You can't have an IHRA/NHRA track and then impose sound limits. So you have to accommodate cars that will produce 125dB 50 feet from the track.

4. The Badlands location won't allow that. It's too far for friday/saturday night events and we can't run 125dB limits that dedicated drag cars can prodcue or our rezoning application would have died before it even began.

5. RCMP was an exception to the rule. I have done research on every Road Course in North America and the vast mjority do not have a drag strip attached to them.

That being said, when news broke that RCMP was going to close (2 years after the Badlands project even began) and committees such as MARCS were formed, I emailed multiple people who were advocating for a drag facilty and advised them that our research in looking for facilitys showed a specific plots of land within 5 minutes of the City limits that could have been ideal places for a drag strip, with the land already zoned as commerical and it being in location where sound would not have been an issue.

This was either ignored or never explored.

If the drag racing community really wants a drag strip near Calgary, it could be done if some group takes the initiative. The badlands would support it 100% and potentially even invest in it.

JZatBMR
03-29-2013, 04:03 PM
With regards to costs and affordability:

In places like Los Angeles, Chicago, etc. they have many road courses within a 200 mile radius, so there can be tracks that cater to only a certain demographic. There are tracks that are affordable to the masses and tracks that are private and cater to the elite.

In Calgary, we don't have those options. We need a facility that provides for:

1. Individuals who have never been on a road course before, either because the didn't know about it, couldn't afford it, or couldn't get access to it.

2. Individuals who did use the road couse before and no longer have a place to play or advance.

For this facilty to be successful, we need many hundreds of members. We also need programs and track rentals that are affordable to people who can't afford to be members just yet but still need to be introduced to the sport.

If this track was to cater to just the elite who own Ferraris and McLarens, it woudl fail. It needs to cater to 18-25 yr olds who have an entry level or older model performance car and run on Hankook street tires. And even a lot of them will be able to afford a 10x4 ft locker to store their track tires, tools, and jack.

It also needs to cater to those who have new Mustangs, Nissans, Mazdas, Hydundai Genesises, VWs, Miatas, Camaros, Mini Coopers, Subarus just as well as it does to those with multiple Porsches and Ferraris.

Yes, it's likely that the guys with muliple cars and dedicated track cars will want more access and more amenities, and they would have to pay for it. So there has to be packages and features that sevice a huge range of people. But I suspect that vast majority of members will be in the lower priced spectrum, as there are many times more people in that income bracket than the other.

J@Tuner
03-29-2013, 04:07 PM
Awesome work Jay :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Very excited!!!

JZatBMR
03-29-2013, 04:14 PM

I think for the entry level memberships, $2-3K per year would be too expensive.

Although at this point it's too early to say.

Also, I have the rental rates per day that Castrol is going to charge this year on their roadcourse ($5500-9000/day) and that seems very expensive to me. I doubt most groups would want to rent it at that price.

JZatBMR
03-29-2013, 04:25 PM

When I competed in the CSCC Solosprint series from 2005 to 2010, there was almost no cars trailered to the track.

And most were still on street tires.

When I went to track days with the Porsche Club, and even on their timed events, I was only one on R's that I ever saw.

In the Exotic club days, again almost no one would ever be on R's.

The main reason, I suspect, is that trailering a car and/or transporting track tires is highly inconvenient. (Although driving to RCMP on R's was no issue as they don't heat up so it's neglible on wear).

But I agree, drving 100kms is a different story.

But if there was affordable lockers at the track where people could store their tires, jack, tools etc. Then many more people would start running on track tires, I suspect.

Track tires are actually more affordable than many think. On a high speed track, street tires cant get destroyed very quickly, but something like an Hooiser R6 can last almost an entire season.

962 kid
03-29-2013, 05:04 PM
Thanks for coming on here and keeping everyone updated. For what it's worth, I doubt I would trailer my car in if the option to store tools and wheels on site was affordable. 100km is close enough that if any trackside maladies were to occur, a trip to town for a trailer could be made in the same day.

rx7_turbo2
03-29-2013, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by JZatBMR

For this facilty to be successful, we need many hundreds of members. We also need programs and track rentals that are affordable to people who can't afford to be members just yet but still need to be introduced to the sport.

If this track was to cater to just the elite who own Ferraris and McLarens, it woudl fail. It needs to cater to 18-25 yr olds who have an entry level or older model performance car and run on Hankook street tires. And even a lot of them will be able to afford a 10x4 ft locker to store their track tires, tools, and jack.

It also needs to cater to those who have new Mustangs, Nissans, Mazdas, Hydundai Genesises, VWs, Miatas, Camaros, Mini Coopers, Subarus just as well as it does to those with multiple Porsches and Ferraris.

Yes, it's likely that the guys with muliple cars and dedicated track cars will want more access and more amenities, and they would have to pay for it. So there has to be packages and features that sevice a huge range of people. But I suspect that vast majority of members will be in the lower priced spectrum, as there are many times more people in that income bracket than the other.

Thanks for the clarification:clap:

flipstah
03-29-2013, 05:24 PM
With regards to costs and affordability:

In places like Los Angeles, Chicago, etc. they have many road courses within a 200 mile radius, so there can be tracks that cater to only a certain demographic. There are tracks that are affordable to the masses and tracks that are private and cater to the elite.

In Calgary, we don't have those options. We need a facility that provides for:

1. Individuals who have never been on a road course before, either because the didn't know about it, couldn't afford it, or couldn't get access to it.

2. Individuals who did use the road couse before and no longer have a place to play or advance.

Good news! If we can do locker rentals, I would definitely be in for this. :thumbsup: :drool:

ercchry
03-29-2013, 06:09 PM

Also, I have the rental rates per day that Castrol is going to charge this year on their roadcourse ($5500-9000/day) and that seems very expensive to me. I doubt most groups would want to rent it at that price.

yup, RC was about $5k in expenses for a half day rental. the ONLY way i was able to make it "affordable" for the guys was thanks to our awesome spectators. even still we had a few days we ran at a loss... it was a stressful time from an organizer standpoint.

superlative
04-09-2013, 10:43 AM
Why can't you build those sound proofing walls (like they do on highways) around a 1/4 mile track within the grounds?

superlative
04-16-2013, 03:45 PM
bump - would like response from Badlands. Thanks.

blitz
04-16-2013, 03:54 PM
Reducing noise like this isn't nearly as simple as building those walls. Reducing sound is a very complicated thing for something that isn't moving (i.e. compressor station), let alone a 1/4 strip.

Go4Long
04-16-2013, 04:07 PM
or maybe they just aren't interested in providing a drag racing facility?

and no offense superlative, but it's their prerogative to make allowances for drag racing or not. you're about as entitled to an answer from them as I am entitled to an answer from the Walton family about why Wal Mart doesn't carry the deli meats I like.

They were nice enough to posted about why they're not going to do it, and there's a lot more to it than just the noise...

Tik-Tok
04-16-2013, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by superlative
bump - would like response from Badlands. Thanks.

Those walls barely work for regular vehicles, let alone open header cars in the middle of the prairies.

Mibz
04-16-2013, 05:48 PM
Before you guys try to have a conversation with him about drag strips, maybe you should read these:
http://forums.beyond.ca/st2/only-losers-need-automatic-and-launch-control-to-win-the-1-4-mile-/showthread.php?s=&threadid=357094
http://forums.beyond.ca/st2/2nd-annual-luxury-exotic-car-cruise/showthread.php?s=&threadid=353781&perpage=40&highlight=&pagenumber=3

Graham_A_M
04-16-2013, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

Those walls barely work for regular vehicles, let alone open header cars in the middle of the prairies.
Yeah man, there is no way to properly sound proof a drag strip. Their LOUD, and thats just how it is. :dunno:

Maxt
04-16-2013, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok
As much as I don't like it, no 1/4 mile is probably the only way they could get the re-zoning anyways. Auto-X typically doesn't have the noise pollution 1/4 mile tracks do, lol.

Yeah man, there is no way to properly sound proof a drag strip. Their LOUD, and thats just how it is. :dunno:

You guys haven't heard the wrath of the 2 rotor n/a on the roadcourse, it puts drag cars to shame.

Darell_n
04-16-2013, 08:00 PM

You guys haven't heard the wrath of the 2 rotor n/a on the roadcourse, it puts drag cars to shame.

They're not talking Friday nights here. I doubt the Mazda could be heard with even a few real drag cars warming up in the pits.

DeleriousZ
04-16-2013, 08:28 PM

Word, a p-port n/a 2 or 3 rotor with a straight pipe is DEAFENING.

Maxt
04-16-2013, 08:55 PM

They're not talking Friday nights here. I doubt the Mazda could be heard with even a few real drag cars warming up in the pits.
Trust me, it makes ears bleed...

m10-power
04-16-2013, 09:08 PM

^ only guy we have ever asked to not come back to one of our events...

but we never had a mosquito problem when he was around either

:rofl:

Darell_n
04-16-2013, 10:12 PM

Gotcha. Any vids out there?

Maxt
04-17-2013, 04:58 AM
None with it at full boil as it passed the pits.. I would scream by and look over, everyone was covering their ears with their hands, so I dont think to many people were able to take vids.
I am not sure how well accepted at the track the 3 rotor p-port I have is going to be. N/a rotaries are just plain loud. When we were at Fuji and Okayama watching RE amemiyas 3 rotor car run , his car would be km over on the back straights, yet drown out the uncorked gt500 cars right in front of us.
The rotary had a tough time competing in some events when tracks put in noise restrictions and they had to cork them up, the power just nose dives with backpressure on a n/a car.
But my turbo car was probably the quietest car on the track, T51r makes a great muffler.

In regard to the race track though, its funny how little noise people will put up with here, the major tracks in Japan are pretty much surrounded now by city areas, with houses butted right up to the track, and people just accept it. Even though this new one is kinda in the middle of nowhere, I have feeling the noise will be an issue at some point even with road racing.

Alak
04-17-2013, 08:43 AM
I remember tuning a buddies carb on his supercharged 12a from a couple kilometers away. That car shook the ground. It was basically straight piped and it got louder once the heat blew the packing out of the mufflers.

I remember at race city they complained about noise levels from the imports, but they would let the open header v8's run all night.

speedog
04-17-2013, 08:59 AM
Noise will always be an issue with racetracks no matter what kind. I remember fishing at the mouth of the Highwood back in the 80's and hearing race car noise from Race City which is some 15+ miles as the crow flies. Drag cars, oval noise and even road course noise - if the wind is right, then the noise will carry very far. Was certainly a surprise to me to hear Race City noise that far away in a valley, but a northwest breeze would certainly help.

ExtraSlow
04-22-2013, 06:20 AM
The Herald has a related article this morning. Not many details, but does compare Badlands to Rockyview. Good to see these ideas getting some press. Happy Monday race fans.
Calgary Herald Article. (http://www.calgaryherald.com/cars/Competing+race+track+plans+jockey+position+southern+Alberta/8275481/story.html)

LOLzilla
04-22-2013, 10:38 AM
Rockyview Motorsports will capture the drag racing scene if they can get approval.

Vagabond142
04-22-2013, 12:21 PM
The course looks excellent. I would love a full course track day out there.... I'd just need to get a track-worthy car as I think the Rio is a little too.... well, not-sporty :P

DeleriousZ
04-22-2013, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by Vagabond142
The course looks excellent. I would love a full course track day out there.... I'd just need to get a track-worthy car as I think the Rio is a little too.... well, not-sporty :P

I think no matter what you drive, it'd be a blast to do a day of laps!

Vagabond142
04-22-2013, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by DeleriousZ

I think no matter what you drive, it'd be a blast to do a day of laps!

The Rio5 actually handles pretty decently for a little city car, but it would be looking at me going "wtf are you DOING?" if I took it even near a track.

For track days, I'd want to use a bespoke track car (like a project 240SX or Gen 1 Miata or some such). :thumbsup:

JZatBMR
04-23-2013, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by superlative
Why can't you build those sound proofing walls (like they do on highways) around a 1/4 mile track within the grounds?

Those sound proofing walls cost millions of dollars and they reduce noise around 3-6dB. They are intended to reduce the noise of regular highway traffic, which is usually well under 80 dB as cars usually do not travel on the highway at WOT.

For a race track, they do essentially nothing. Just for interests sake, I had the sound engineer do a model of the track with a 15 foot sound barrier wall around the periphery. It did essentially nothing for cars that make 100 dB 50 feet from the track. For drag cars that can make 130 dB, they would do absolutely nothing.

As I explained above, this is not the location for a drag strip. It needs to be close to the city and in a geographical location where you can run 130 dB that does not affect surrounding residences.

A drag strip could be built on the old Burnco site, SE of the city limits.

jacky4566
04-25-2013, 02:06 AM
Has the track design been finalized yet? I would really like to see some 3D models, a generated video walkthrough, or even an Iracing model created?

Being able to race this in a simulator like Iracing or even forza/GT would be a big marketing boost for them. Im sure a new Forza will be released in the next 2 years.

Sugarphreak
04-25-2013, 10:09 AM

rage2
04-25-2013, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
Would this track by suitable for F1 at all?
Highly doubtful. A track has to be designed with F1 in mind from the beginning to get FIA approval. There would need to be a ton of access roads required at every point in the track, sufficient run-off, and tons of other safety requirements.

superlative
04-25-2013, 12:01 PM

Those sound proofing walls cost millions of dollars and they reduce noise around 3-6dB. They are intended to reduce the noise of regular highway traffic, which is usually well under 80 dB as cars usually do not travel on the highway at WOT.

For a race track, they do essentially nothing. Just for interests sake, I had the sound engineer do a model of the track with a 15 foot sound barrier wall around the periphery. It did essentially nothing for cars that make 100 dB 50 feet from the track. For drag cars that can make 130 dB, they would do absolutely nothing.

As I explained above, this is not the location for a drag strip. It needs to be close to the city and in a geographical location where you can run 130 dB that does not affect surrounding residences.

A drag strip could be built on the old Burnco site, SE of the city limits.

thank-you for taking the time to explain things despite the objections of people who weren't asked.

Alak
04-25-2013, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by rage2

Highly doubtful. A track has to be designed with F1 in mind from the beginning to get FIA approval. There would need to be a ton of access roads required at every point in the track, sufficient run-off, and tons of other safety requirements.

I do believe that you have to have the track designed by an FIA approved design firm. I remember watching a short documentry a few years ago on I think it was the shanghai circuit, which in itself cost over 200 Million if I recall. And thats Chinese labour prices!

Vagabond142
04-25-2013, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by jacky4566
Has the track design been finalized yet? I would really like to see some 3D models, a generated video walkthrough, or even an Iracing model created?

Being able to race this in a simulator like Iracing or even forza/GT would be a big marketing boost for them. Im sure a new Forza will be released in the next 2 years.

+1

Would love to plop this into iRacing and give it a run :D

JZatBMR
04-26-2013, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by Alak

I do believe that you have to have the track designed by an FIA approved design firm. I remember watching a short documentry a few years ago on I think it was the shanghai circuit, which in itself cost over 200 Million if I recall. And thats Chinese labour prices!

All the major race series (F1, Indycar, Nascar, etc.) have very specific requirements pertaining to the surrounding required infrastructure (for example, they have to be able to accomodate tens of thousands of spectators and have a specific required number of hotel rooms, etc. within a few miles of the track). THat is why you don't see those races in rural locations.

They also require infrastucture that would support tens of thousands of spectators on the site, the costs of which would be the in the 10's of millions. All that risk is on the track, as they only will sign 1-2 year term deals so even if you were to spend $100M to put in the infrastructure, there is no guarantee they will keep the race there long term.

For these reasons, it's impossible to host those type of events on this site. The site is designed to be a world class venue for the members and enthusients in Western Canada.

Our designer, Alan Wilson, has designed 2 facilities that have hosted Indycar and 4 tempory street circuits that hosted Indycar, and his current project in Beijing China is targeting an F1 contract. So that is not the issue.

The only way Indycar would come to Calgary would be on a temporary street course.