PDA

View Full Version : MacBook Pro email problems

speedog
03-28-2013, 12:27 PM
So to start, I am not a Mac/Apple person - don't any of them, don't really know shit about them. Fast forward to today, I set up an e-mail account on our businesses' e-mail for our dog groomer so she can do e-mail conformations with our clients. Was going to get her to set it up using an IMAP account/server so as to allow her to see e-mail on various devices at the same time (I-Phone, MacBook Pro) and that's where we're stuck.

I can get the MacBook Pro to talk to the servers whether they be POP, IMAP and SMTP and we can receive e-mail with no problems. What's killing me is that we can't send anything from either her I-Phone or MacBook Pro - keep getting a popup "Cannot Send Mail" "Sending the message content to the serve failed" error message.

Weird thing is I can get everything to work perfectly on our XP Pro desktop in Thunderbird and also on my Galaxy S3 - it's something that needs to be changed on her devices and I am at a loss as to what to do.

Suggestions/help would be appreciated.

maxomilll
03-28-2013, 12:42 PM
download java script for OSX maybe? I have little too no clue, so I could be out to lunch.

sabad66
03-28-2013, 02:31 PM
Outgoing mail servers aren't usually open to every network. If its something like shaw or telus, you will only be able to use these when you're connected to their network.

revelations
03-28-2013, 02:32 PM
What email provider are you using?

SMTP settings can vary from device/provider.

If for eg. youre outside of your ISP email LAN, you can also use gmail servers or your 4G network providers.

speedog
03-28-2013, 05:00 PM
Am using email servers on our business plan from TELUS and access is at our work through wifi. Works perfect on my S3 over wifi but both the MacBook Pro and iPhone over same wifi just shit the bed. The Apple products can see and like the servers and ids whether Pop or imap or smtp, they just won't send mail. They receive perfectly.

CanmoreOrLess
03-28-2013, 06:40 PM
Post on the Apple Discussions forum, some wiz there will have the answer. I know you can do it as I am able. It has been so long since I set it up and I'm away from my desktop computer.

revelations
03-28-2013, 06:49 PM
TELUS SMTP:

Are you using port 25 on the apple products? or

Are you using SSL (and authentication) to log in?

speedog
03-28-2013, 09:05 PM
SMTP port 25, port 1025, have tried all kinds of port combinations. SSL on or off - makes no difference. Still can't send even though the mail app can talk to the server and even if I use the settings that worked the first time on my S3, it's stillbroke. So frustrating - what reading I've done would indicate this is a very, very common problem that people have problems solving, suspect it's a setting somewhere inside of Apple's stuff unrelated to the actual mail app.

revelations
03-28-2013, 09:12 PM
Do you have the logs available ? Use the report within the mac server settings, cut and paste here.

speedog
03-30-2013, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by revelations
Do you have the logs available ? Use the report within the mac server settings, cut and paste here.
Remember that I'n not an Apple guy and to further complicate the mess, got an iPad2 at the business on Thursday and managed to get e-mail working on it although not perfectly. The iPad2 complained about not being able to talk to the servers and yet I could send and receive e-mail, but then I get home and nothing.

Oh and another great thing - why does Apple make it so difficult to print from this wifi iPad2? Like WTF? Managed to bastardize to our work HP printer via direct e-mails to the printer but my gawd, what a shit show.

On the plus side, I can see this iPad2 being a great tool to use with customers - used it briefly yesterday with one when she ordered up a dog tag and she had that 'wow' factor ad I stood beside her, entered in and did up her dog tag order on the iPad2 and then sent it off to our local manufacturer. Less paper just in that one process and less complicated - just can't send the 'form mail' output via e-mail to our HP printer as HP's system can't make sense of it for whatever reason. So folks, suggest some printing solutions other than having to get a new air-something printer. Why does it have to be so difficult to print directly to a networked printer that resides on the same TELUS router/wifi unit that this iPad2 connects to via wifi?

Darell_n
03-30-2013, 09:02 AM
I have the same problem at work and started using an icloud address instead of Shaw. Problem solved. I've also noticed that Shaw has a higher standard for passwords while on a Apple device away from home. ie: iPod and ipad both on my same account, but Shaw requires a tougher password on 3G vs wifi.

revelations
03-30-2013, 09:46 AM
OP if you want to just bypass Telus you can sign up for a Gmail account and then use their SMTP server to send from your Telus account.

CanmoreOrLess
03-30-2013, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by speedog

Oh and another great thing - why does Apple make it so difficult to print from this wifi iPad2? Like WTF? Managed to bastardize to our work HP printer via direct e-mails to the printer but my gawd, what a shit show.

On the plus side, I can see this iPad2 being a great tool to use with customers - used it briefly yesterday with one when she ordered up a dog tag and she had that 'wow' factor ad I stood beside her, entered in and did up her dog tag order on the iPad2 and then sent it off to our local manufacturer. Less paper just in that one process and less complicated

I went with Printopia for easy printing from my iPhone and iPad. Free try version, so worth a shot.: http://www.ecamm.com/mac/printopia/

When I ordered dog tags a couple of moths ago, the store clerk filled in a form by hand and faxed it to the manufacturer. I asked about doing it paperless to avoid type errors and the clerk said this is the way the tag maker does things. Welcome to 1985, I was not impressed.

Have you updated your HP printer drivers this year? I know for my Canon it gets updated a couple times a year at least. I was looking at some printing issues for a friend and he had drivers from 2008, he never updated them until there was an issue. So check.

My Canon printer is plugged into the back of my iMac, in System Prefs > Printer & Scan > Check the box "Share this printer on the network". This works with or without buying Printopia, so it is not needed really I suspect.

revelations
03-30-2013, 11:06 AM
Yea I cant get why the OEMs dont make proper apps for the ipads etc. The ones ive setup are very clunky and tempermental.