PDA

View Full Version : Winter Storage

silenttype23
09-20-2002, 10:38 AM
What are the right ways to store a car for the winter? What are the things you have to do? I've heard so many different things that its hard to know whats right:dunno:
Hoipefully this will help everyone out too :thumbsup:

ancient
09-20-2002, 11:26 AM
Put it in your heated garage..... :)

Clem
09-20-2002, 11:33 AM
change the oil, fill up the tank, put it up on jack stands and a put it under a car cover. start the car every 7 to 14 weeks for 15-20 minutes.

That's what I was taught. Don't know if I'm gonna put my car up on stands but I'll be doing the rest of the stuff.

Weapon_R
09-20-2002, 11:40 AM
Ive heard that putting it on stands can actually harm your vehicle. Aside from that, before you decide to drive it, flush and replace the coolant. Before you store it, just make sure your fluids are topped up. Remove the battery cable. Start your car once every 7-14 days and change the area where the car is sitting by moving it a bit so the tires don't sit in the same place for a long time.

ninjak84
09-20-2002, 11:47 AM
its a good idea to not just start it, but maybe drive it around for a bit if you can. get all the fluids and everything heated up to working temp. maybe twice a month is a good idea

Clem
09-20-2002, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
change the area where the car is sitting by moving it a bit so the tires don't sit in the same place for a long time.

That was the reason for the jack stands, tire flat spotting and suspension compression led to premature suspension failure.. Maybe that doesn't apply so much today b/c of the new tire compounds and suspension setups.

Am I that old???????

2000impreza
09-20-2002, 02:05 PM
i heard if you put your car up on jack stands there is no load on the struts. over the winter rust may form on the shaft which will lead to premature suspension failure.