PDA

View Full Version : working overseas. volunteer

souljer
03-31-2013, 10:05 PM
i'm an electrician by trade but im getting pretty bored of it. so i want to travel while working. or volunteer. just want to get out of the same ol routine same people same places. looking at south america/africa/s.e asia

so first questions does anybody know any place in the world thats hiring electricians? don't think i can find a better place that's paying what ft macs paying, but would be pretty cool if i could get a change of scenery. i heard something about dubai but can't find anything on it.

2nd question, anybody know any good volunteer/work sites. i found a pretty neat site.

http://www.workaway.info

they exchange work for accomadation/food. and an awesome experience living with the locals. wondering if anyone else has sites similar to this. or just on volunteering etc.

thrasher22
04-01-2013, 09:16 AM
When I was in Aus I remember people saying that electricians made a killing there, and its all heavily unionized. Downside is the heat. Their equivalent of Ft Mac is mine work. If you're under 30, working holiday visas are ultra easy to get.

I volunteered at a Cheetah conservation center outside Cape Town for 3 months last year and had a great time. Depending on availability they put you up in a nice house on a vineyard in the mountains (not too shabby haha) http://www.cheetah.co.za/

When I was traveling around after, I saw there were hundreds of wildlife reserves all over Southern Africa that all had international volunteers although often you had to pay (which is BS).

ExtraSlow
04-04-2013, 12:36 PM
The Working Holiday program is excellent for NZ and Austrialia.
No idea what thter countries have this kind of thing.

sxtasy
04-04-2013, 02:08 PM
Maybe work for Canadian forces? I noticed they hire electricians?:dunno:

souljer
04-05-2013, 03:10 PM
Thanks for the info guys. I'm going to have a look at those choices.

Yeh it's kinda stupid how your volunteering in some of those animal rescue places. But you have to pay. Haha I don't think that's volunteering. That's just a neat experience.

Canadian forces? Sounds interesting. Going to check out the site.