PDA

View Full Version : Show Me Your Detailing Kit

Pages : [1] 2

flipstah
04-01-2013, 03:46 PM
Spring is here and it's time for me Golf to have her first detail run-down with yours truly. Coming from a plastic-clad Outlander though, I'm stepping my game up and switching products. I also conveniently ran out of product so it all worked out.

However, this is my first time dealing with soft-touch plastics so it's time for the experts to show off what works for their car.

For me, I normally use Black Magic products and Meguiar's claybar to get things started, then hand-wax.

The Golf has a 3M front though (quarter panels/bumper/hood) so I don't know what what to use to clean/remove fine scratches on it. I read around and Rejex or Plexus are viable contenders but looking to buy locally (probably with AutoObsessed.com).

Might buy a new vacuum this time around too; more power for suction.

So share 'em; brag 'em. Let me hear 'em.

Hallowed_point
04-01-2013, 08:17 PM
My best advice is to invest in a quality random orbital buffer (not one of those cheapo simonez $39.99 Canadian Tire specials.) Yeah you'll spend $200+ but its a very worthwhile investment for car care.

Much faster and less fatiguing to do a wax/polish on your ride. I can't even think of doing a hand wax after buying this. It's just so much more efficient!

Buy the proper products, watch some videos on youtube , use a little common sense and you'll get great results. I was always intimidated with using machines so I used to do everything by hand...not anymore!

sneek
04-01-2013, 08:26 PM
:banghead: It is an expensive hobby. I think I spend more than 10K annually on detailing goodies. I have pretty close to every Meguair's product sold between 2005 and now, 4 rotary polishers, 2 dual actions, 5 orbitals, most Menzerna and Optimum products. Healthy collection of Finish Kare, Chemical Guys/Adams, Rupes...I feel bad for my credit card.

PS: flipstah I think you live relatively close to me as I see your car around once in a while. If you ever want to check out some of the detailing toys shoot me a PM.

Hallowed_point
04-01-2013, 08:43 PM
I'm a big fan of meguiars nxt 2.0 liquid wax, ultimate compound & polish, leather conditioner (smells damn good!) pretty much everything megs is good with me.

K3RMiTdot
04-01-2013, 09:19 PM
Ive started to pick up on the hobby, it is quite expensive i think i spent like 2-3 grand last year.
Made plenty of pit stops at Autoobessed, making me broke.

I've listed my Flex Polisher up for sale, if youre interested. Only used it twice.

know1edge
04-01-2013, 09:27 PM
I have a whole bunch of interior stuff I wouldn't mind getting rid of
I'll take a look sometime this week..maybe

I know I have a jug of Meguiars APC+ (you cannot get this in canada) if anybody's looking

Chemical Guys Citrus Wash & Gloss is a fave for washing
Menzerna for polishes
Blackwow is supposedly fucking awesome for trim
For glass, a lot of people swear by Invisible Glass, I've tried it, Griot's Glass Clay, Sprayway, Autoglym Polish, and a bunch of other crap, but they all suck. Need AutoMagic Glass cleaner concentrate.
Hmm, APC's - Meguairs APC+ or Optimum Power Clean
For plastics, Plexus is really nice, I use it for EVERYTHING
For interior dashes etc., Meguiars Quick Interior Detailer, 1Z einszett cockpit cleaner, 303 aerospace protectant. The first 2 are matte, I honestly don't really see much of a difference with them, 303 will leave a sheen if you like that

Vacuums, you can try the Metro Blow N Go or whatever it's called, Ridgid also makes some really good cheap ones

I dunno, there's a LOT of stuff you could buy, depending on how in depth you want to get, like Microfiber Detergent, plastic razor blade holders, tornadors...

flipstah
04-01-2013, 09:32 PM
Keep it coming!

Anyone have thoughts on fixing fine scratches on 3M clear bra?

PulsePro
04-01-2013, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by know1edge
I have a whole bunch of interior stuff I wouldn't mind getting rid of
I'll take a look sometime this week..maybe

I know I have a jug of Meguiars APC+ (you cannot get this in canada) if anybody's looking

Chemical Guys Citrus Wash & Gloss is a fave for washing
Menzerna for polishes
Blackwow is supposedly fucking awesome for trim
For glass, a lot of people swear by Invisible Glass, I've tried it, Griot's Glass Clay, Sprayway, Autoglym Polish, and a bunch of other crap, but they all suck. Need AutoMagic Glass cleaner concentrate.
Hmm, APC's - Meguairs APC+ or Optimum Power Clean
For plastics, Plexus is really nice, I use it for EVERYTHING
For interior dashes etc., Meguiars Quick Interior Detailer, 1Z einszett cockpit cleaner, 303 aerospace protectant. The first 2 are matte, I honestly don't really see much of a difference with them, 303 will leave a sheen if you like that

Vacuums, you can try the Metro Blow N Go or whatever it's called, Ridgid also makes some really good cheap ones

I dunno, there's a LOT of stuff you could buy, depending on how in depth you want to get, like Microfiber Detergent, plastic razor blade holders, tornadors...

I used to use Plexus as well but I replaced it with CleanGo GreenGo. It's a Canadian product and literally cleans anything lol.
My friend who has a detailing business told me about it because he switched to that. It's not very good on glass though.
I just use CleanGo and Invisibleglass for the interior then run it through an automatic car cash (because it has a dryer).

Originally posted by flipstah
Keep it coming!

Don't those usually come with a lifetime guarantee where you just take it back and they'll just reapply the 3M with a new one?

fiveowed
04-02-2013, 01:10 AM
I dont go fancy on the clay bar and sealant,mothers works fine but for the final wax, a good quality wax makes a huge difference and my all time favorite is Pinnacle Souveran wax. I will never use any wax from crappy tire again.

Neil4Speed
04-02-2013, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by fiveowed
I dont go fancy on the clay bar and sealant,mothers works fine but for the final wax, a good quality wax makes a huge difference and my all time favorite is Pinnacle Souveran wax. I will never use any wax from crappy tire again.

Really CT has a NXT 2.0, and Autoglym HD (both good waxes)

Modelexis
04-02-2013, 08:56 AM
If the scratches on the clear bra are very light you can sometimes just use a heat gun and extreme caution in a controlled environment with no wind.

Run the gun over the bra with proper lighting and you will gradually increase the heat concentration until you see the surface smooth out. Sometimes just a sunny hot day will do the trick if you have a dark color paint.

You can't really polish it, it's too soft and will either burn or just look even worse.

My suggestion would be to just not worry about it and change out the front every 3-4 years

flipstah
04-02-2013, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by PulsePro

Don't those usually come with a lifetime guarantee where you just take it back and they'll just reapply the 3M with a new one?

They do but the application and the bra itself is fine. It just needs a buff but not sure what product to use. Plexus?

Originally posted by Modelexis
If the scratches on the clear bra are very light you can sometimes just use a heat gun and extreme caution in a controlled environment with no wind.

Run the gun over the bra with proper lighting and you will gradually increase the heat concentration until you see the surface smooth out. Sometimes just a sunny hot day will do the trick if you have a dark color paint.

You can't really polish it, it's too soft and will either burn or just look even worse.

My suggestion would be to just not worry about it and change out the front every 3-4 years

Ah, okay. I'll just keep it clean. :)

HiSpec
04-02-2013, 12:09 PM
Keep in mind there are two types of wax:
Polymer - Durable not as deep and rich as` 'nuba.
Carnuba - Not durable but a good quality 'nuba can provide you with very very deep-rich color with multi-layer application

Since you are just starting, keep things simple and build a foundation before getting into fancy products. Keep in mind that the resulting finish is based on 80% prep work (wash, clay, decon, polish) and 20% last-step product.

Since your R is pretty new, this is what would I recommend:

Polish: Menzerna IS-1500 (match with yellow B&S pads, and you'll get 80-90% correction)
Sealant: Menzerna Powerlock
Wax: Collinite 845 (superior durability, awesome as winter wax) or pick a few that you like.

Mind you that 845 can not be used with another product because it is a solvent based wax, it will not bond to another products (eg, Powerlock that I mentioned).

Tips: Go to Home Depot and buy a jug of Zep's Orange ($13) and chemical resistent spray bottle (also by Zep). Dilute it 4:1 (water:Zep) and you got yourself a great APC for interior, engine bay, door jam. You can increase the concentration for tires and light-duty wheel cleaner.

flipstah
04-02-2013, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by HiSpec
Keep in mind there are two types of wax:
Polymer - Durable not as deep and rich as` 'nuba.
Carnuba - Not durable but a good quality 'nuba can provide you with very very deep-rich color with multi-layer application

Since you are just starting, keep things simple and build a foundation before getting into fancy products. Keep in mind that the resulting finish is based on 80% prep work (wash, clay, decon, polish) and 20% last-step product.

Since your R is pretty new, this is what would I recommend:

Polish: Menzerna IS-1500 (match with yellow B&S pads, and you'll get 80-90% correction)
Sealant: Menzerna Powerlock
Wax: Collinite 845 (superior durability, awesome as winter wax) or pick a few that you like.

Mind you that 845 can not be used with another product because it is a solvent based wax, it will not bond to another products (eg, Powerlock that I mentioned).

Tips: Go to Home Depot and buy a jug of Zep's Orange ($13) and chemical resistent spray bottle (also by Zep). Dilute it 4:1 (water:Zep) and you got yourself a great APC for interior, engine bay, door jam. You can increase the concentration for tires and light-duty wheel cleaner.

Sweet, thanks! Usually, I go off-the-counter stuff for my Outlander but it's my first time venturing into 'big boy' detailing territory so I'm reading up on techniques, product reviews, etc.

Everyone's tips are helping me venture on to a better product range while making things complicated all at the same time lol. Not that there's anything wrong with choices. :thumbsup:

mgwatson
04-02-2013, 02:50 PM
Keep it coming!

DA polisher, white pad, finishing polish and light pressure will make your clear bra look almost new again.

mgwatson
04-02-2013, 02:52 PM
Here's my latest shipment :D Can't wait for detailing season to start!
http://i559.photobucket.com/albums/ss31/mgwatson48/IMG_1031_zps3c874fef.jpg

FullFledgedYYC
04-02-2013, 03:04 PM
mgwatson, is that one of those mini vacs in the top left?

I just sent off for a ton of stuff. I am most interested in trying Iron X as I have a white car and the "rail dust" is out of control on it. Hopefully the iron x kills a lot of it as claying it last year was far too much work.

mgwatson
04-02-2013, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by FullFledgedYYC

You bet. Powerful little guy too! Its a Metro Vac n' Blo with a 4hp motor. It blows out a stream of warm, filtered air powerful enough to dry your entire car off without having to touch a towel to it. It also double as a nice little vacuum too.

http://www.autoobsessed.com/shop/metro-vac-nblo-portable-vacuum-p-1022.html

Highly recommend any detailer have one of these in their arsenal!

HiSpec
04-02-2013, 05:14 PM

I just sent off for a ton of stuff. I am most interested in trying Iron X as I have a white car and the "rail dust" is out of control on it. Hopefully the iron x kills a lot of it as claying it last year was far too much work.

Iron-X is awesome!!! I turned one of my customer's driveway purple !!

msommers
04-02-2013, 07:33 PM
I really like Wolfgang products. Also tried Poorboy's Blue wax and it wasn't bad.

I'd really like to get an orbital as waxing my SUV by hand is a one arm workout I don't enjoy. What would you guys recommend for something that will get a once or twice a year use? I'm also looking at clay bars as well.

flipstah
04-02-2013, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by msommers
I really like Wolfgang products. Also tried Poorboy's Blue wax and it wasn't bad.

I'd really like to get an orbital as waxing my SUV by hand is a one arm workout I don't enjoy. What would you guys recommend for something that will get a once or twice a year use? I'm also looking at clay bars as well.

Flex Polisher seems to be the way to go. Might snipe K3rmitdot's used one or get a new one; whatever works at that time.

I'm definitely getting that vacuum/blower combo! I need that for the garage! :hitit:

This is gonna be one broke-ass summer. :rofl:

FullFledgedYYC
04-03-2013, 09:47 AM
I am also very interested in that vac. With something like that you could quickly vacuum out the car every week or two and never have to do a tedious long clean.

Flipstah, if you are going to look into machine polishing your vehicle I would look into Menzerna products. Your car has a very hard ceramic clearcoat and will need a product/pad combination that can actually provide some bite into that super hard finish.

flipstah
04-03-2013, 10:56 AM
I am also very interested in that vac. With something like that you could quickly vacuum out the car every week or two and never have to do a tedious long clean.

Flipstah, if you are going to look into machine polishing your vehicle I would look into Menzerna products. Your car has a very hard ceramic clearcoat and will need a product/pad combination that can actually provide some bite into that super hard finish.

I'll investigate and check. A lot of VWVortex guys swear to this Opti-Coat (http://www.eshine.ca/optimum_opti_coat_20_permanent_paint_coating-1637.php) stuff and it does give a killer shine:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8259/8615134714_122806346e_c.jpg

But permanent? How is that possible?

mgwatson
04-03-2013, 11:07 AM
Im a FIRM believer that the amount of 'shine' is a product of polishing, not waxing/sealing. Opti-coat is good because of how durable and long lasting it is. As far as shine goes, polish your car and throw on a decent wax and/or sealant and it will shine just like that.

FullFledgedYYC
04-03-2013, 11:33 AM
Opti-coat is a coating (i know surprising). It is nothing like a sealant or a wax. It is actually a coating that will essentially be a layer of ceramic clearcoat.

My understanding of it is that you correct the paint to as near perfection as you can get it, and then coat it with opticoat. For a daily driver that you really don't want to spend a ton of time detailing in the future, i can see it being a benefit, but, only if you use proper washing techniques. It is by no means immune to swirls and scratches, so if you go on and scratch/swirl it, what was the point?

Also, it is "permanent" as in it will bond and create a layer on the paint that can only be removed through a decently aggressive polish (abrasion).

I dunno, I was very interested in it at first, but as time goes on and I think about it more and more, I don't know if I would do it. Then again, I love detailing my car.

Also, I agree, shine comes from polish. Sealant/waxing just provides that wet look in my opinion. If you haven't polished a car well, no wax or sealant is going to make it look as good as it could.

HiSpec
04-03-2013, 12:01 PM
There are many of these coating on the market right now. CQuartz and Opti-Coat started it all.

The ones I can think of right now are:
CQuartz
Opti-Coat v2.0
Wolf's Hard Body
GTechniq EXO and C1
22PLE Glass Coat series (new to the market)

Just like what's said above, it is all based on initial prep work that will make all the difference. The sealant/wax is just icing on the cake.

FullFledgedYYC
04-03-2013, 12:14 PM
Really the only benefit I can think of for opticoat is if a vehicle has been polished a lot and needs to beef up the clearcoat thickness... gives you more paint to work with I guess.

msommers
04-03-2013, 12:35 PM
Would that coating be beneficial for Japanese vehicles that have notoriously thin clear coats and overall garbage paint jobs? Or will a solid cut/polish/wax do the same thing?

FullFledgedYYC
04-03-2013, 01:09 PM
Japanese vehicles tend to have pretty soft paint... so essentially (don't take this completely literally) you would be taking a soft jap paint job and making it more like a VW hard ceramic clear coat paint.

I guess that would be a benefit to it :dunno:

know1edge
04-03-2013, 06:42 PM
the softer the paint, the easier it is to induce swirls/scratches, and also remove those scratches.

opti-coat != soft, I think you can figure it out from there..
I've never seen an application of Opti-coat in person, nor have I really looked into it, so I'm not sure the extent of the product.
I DO know that $5000 to Opticoat an entire car is apparently a reasonable price in amurrrrica

some Mercedes have an ultra hard ceramic clear coat already, and I believe Menzerna has a special polish for this. I'm not sure how hard VW paint is, but you might want to look into that as well flipstah

HiSpec
04-03-2013, 07:27 PM
the softer the paint, the easier it is to induce swirls/scratches, and also remove those scratches.

opti-coat != soft, I think you can figure it out from there..
I've never seen an application of Opti-coat in person, nor have I really looked into it, so I'm not sure the extent of the product.
I DO know that $5000 to Opticoat an entire car is apparently a reasonable price in amurrrrica

some Mercedes have an ultra hard ceramic clear coat already, and I believe Menzerna has a special polish for this. I'm not sure how hard VW paint is, but you might want to look into that as well flipstah

Opti-Coat is quite picky with the condition it is applied in.

I believe Menzerna is developed around Mercedes Benz paint system.

And Flipstah, here is what a typical thorough wash with 2-step polish + Opti-Coat would involve

White - 2-Step with Opti-Coat (http://www.detailingbliss.com/forum/pro-studio/36580-vw-golf-r-2-step-paint-correction-opti-coat-mr-sparkle-detailing-long-island.html)

Rising Blue - Thorough wash, decon, prep for Opti-Coat and 3M application (http://www.detailingbliss.com/forum/pro-studio/35917-detailers-domain-12-vw-golf-r-new-car-prep-opti-coat-clear-film-installation.html)

saiyajin
04-03-2013, 11:26 PM

Flex Polisher seems to be the way to go. Might snipe K3rmitdot's used one or get a new one; whatever works at that time.

I'm definitely getting that vacuum/blower combo! I need that for the garage! :hitit:

This is gonna be one broke-ass summer. :rofl:

noob question about the vac/blower would you need to empty it from vacuuming before using it as a blower?? :nut:

flipstah
04-04-2013, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by saiyajin

noob question about the vac/blower would you need to empty it from vacuuming before using it as a blower?? :nut:

Good q. I assume there would be a closing mechanism that separates the container from the blower or there's two motors.

mgwatson
04-04-2013, 09:39 AM
Nah, you have to take out the bag so it can draw air through the foam filter. It's great, because unlike leaf blowers that can potentially hurl outside dust and debris at your paint, the vac n blo filters and heats up the air before distributing it.

flipstah
04-12-2013, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by K3RMiTdot
Ive started to pick up on the hobby, it is quite expensive i think i spent like 2-3 grand last year.
Made plenty of pit stops at Autoobessed, making me broke.

I've listed my Flex Polisher up for sale, if youre interested. Only used it twice.

I may buy it off of you but I'm still browsing around. It was 25% off everything at CT so I had to stock up:

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n205/dj_flipster/WP_20130411_004_zpsd634e6b9.jpg

:thumbsup:

FullFledgedYYC
04-12-2013, 09:03 AM
Jesus... that's quite the haul. I assume you will be doing waxing/polishing by hand?

FullFledgedYYC
04-12-2013, 09:09 AM
Thanks for the heads up on the sale BTW, I may look at that Bissell Heat Vacuum thing. My dad has the Bissell green machine and I used it a couple of weeks ago, I was actually quite amazed at how well it worked, thought it would be garbage.

flipstah
04-12-2013, 09:12 AM
Jesus... that's quite the haul. I assume you will be doing waxing/polishing by hand?

Thanks for the heads up on the sale BTW, I may look at that Bissell Heat Vacuum thing. My dad has the Bissell green machine and I used it a couple of weeks ago, I was actually quite amazed at how well it worked, thought it would be garbage.

For now, I'll be doing everything by hand as I'm more educated than using the machined method. I'm going to test out the machined polishing process on the Outlander before I venture on to the Golf.

Where would you get that Bissell vacuum? I hope it's cheap because if it's 200$, I'd get the vacuum/blower combo that was introduced in this thread.

FullFledgedYYC
04-12-2013, 09:43 AM
The Bissell machine I was referring to is This one (http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/4/Auto/CarWashingCleaning/AutoVac/PRD~0398222P/Bissell+Auto+Care+ProHeat+Vacuum.jsp?locale=en)

It is used simply to clean interior carpeting/seats... basically to shampoo your interior. Honestly, the one that i used that is very similar, worked quite well. Everyone who got in my car said "ohhhhh... so clean!"

If you need a legit vacuum, I would stick with that one posted earlier. In fact, you should get it, and then let me know how it works ;)

flipstah
04-12-2013, 09:52 AM
The Bissell machine I was referring to is This one (http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/4/Auto/CarWashingCleaning/AutoVac/PRD~0398222P/Bissell+Auto+Care+ProHeat+Vacuum.jsp?locale=en)

It is used simply to clean interior carpeting/seats... basically to shampoo your interior. Honestly, the one that i used that is very similar, worked quite well. Everyone who got in my car said "ohhhhh... so clean!"

If you need a legit vacuum, I would stick with that one posted earlier. In fact, you should get it, and then let me know how it works ;)

$100? Cheap. I might buy that too.

I think I will buy that vacuum from Auto Obsessed. I'll keep you updated but mgwatson seems to be happy with it so that's one positive review right there. :thumbsup:

saiyajin
04-12-2013, 11:31 AM
Please do tell of your experience of the Auto Obsessed vacuum i'm kind of tempted to get it too haha :nut:

spikerS
04-12-2013, 11:57 AM
what is this Iron X stuff you guys are talking about? Never heard of it before...

HiSpec
04-12-2013, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by spikers
what is this Iron X stuff you guys are talking about? Never heard of it before...

4N1X-gO-eAw

The Metro Master Blaster is great for drying car and it helps to get water out of hard to reach gaps.

spikerS
04-12-2013, 12:27 PM
so do you use Iron X and then clay bar, or is Iron X replacing the clay bar?

I am confused

HiSpec
04-12-2013, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by spikers
so do you use Iron X and then clay bar, or is Iron X replacing the clay bar?

I am confused

Iron-X doesn't replace clay bar. Iron-X remove any particles that clay bar can't pick up. I usually wash, iron-x, rinse, clay bar. It makes the clay bar job go a bit faster.

flipstah
04-12-2013, 04:26 PM

Iron-X doesn't replace clay bar. Iron-X remove any particles that clay bar can't pick up. I usually wash, iron-x, rinse, clay bar. It makes the clay bar job go a bit faster.

Where do you buy Iron-X?

EDIT: Also curious about how this Autoglym HD Cleanser will work out. By their product description, it seems like they're promoting it as an alternative to the claybar.

http://www.highdefinitionwax.com/high_definition_cleanser.asp

K3RMiTdot
04-12-2013, 04:43 PM

Where do you buy Iron-X?

EDIT: Also curious about how this Autoglym HD Cleanser will work out. By their product description, it seems like they're promoting it as an alternative to the claybar.

Autoobsessed.com or eshine or detailersdomain

i personally would do the first 2, free shipping on orders over $150

flipstah
04-12-2013, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by K3RMiTdot

Autoobsessed.com or eshine or detailersdomain

i personally would do the first 2, free shipping on orders over $150

I'll probably snipe it next week. DROOL.

HiSpec
04-12-2013, 04:50 PM

Where do you buy Iron-X?

I believe it doesn't replace claybar. HD Cleanser (Zymol HD Cleanse or any paint cleanser) contain light abrasives that lightly polish the area, remove any residual protection and prep the surface for wax application.

HiSpec
04-12-2013, 04:56 PM

I'll probably snipe it next week. DROOL.

Make sure your Iron-X comes with a sprayer!! I've ordered Iron-X once and it didn't come with a sprayer.

Good choice on that tyre dressing. Since it is water-based, it won't fling dressing around even if you don't buff it off.

FullFledgedYYC
04-15-2013, 08:32 AM
My 16oz iron-x from eshine came with a sprayer.... just an FYI.

Can't wait to try out iron-x once the snow F's off. My white paint has "rail rust" all over it.

bigbadboss101
04-15-2013, 08:37 AM
Any testimonies for Zaino or Klasse? I have used both for older vehicles.
Klasse smell bad and Zaino smell delicious. Shine were good but products are pricy.

How does Auto Glym stuff compare to Meguire or Mothers?

flipstah
04-15-2013, 08:16 PM

Make sure your Iron-X comes with a sprayer!! I've ordered Iron-X once and it didn't come with a sprayer.

Good choice on that tyre dressing. Since it is water-based, it won't fling dressing around even if you don't buff it off.

The one on Auto Obsessed looks to be a refill. :(

HiSpec
04-15-2013, 08:50 PM

The one on Auto Obsessed looks to be a refill. :(

See if they can throw one in for you!!

flipstah
04-18-2013, 10:24 AM
Nah. I have extra sprayers at home.

http://i.imgur.com/vvYYPIp.png

I can't wait for the weather to get consistently warmer!

FullFledgedYYC
04-18-2013, 10:27 AM
Yep, you will have to give a review on that vacuum now.

Agreed, can't wait for warm weather to give my car a good polish and seal. I AM SICK OF THIS!

Mitsu3000gt
04-18-2013, 11:29 AM
How powerful are those little vacuums compared to something like a shopvac?

flipstah
04-24-2013, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
How powerful are those little vacuums compared to something like a shopvac?

Not sure but 4HP should be more than enough. I think.

Package came in today at the office. Had the courier send it to me here since it's not UPS/FedEx/DHL etc. and have a pick-up place after work hours.

Will post a separate review thread of service and product. :thumbsup:

flipstah
04-24-2013, 06:43 PM
Bah. One of the attachments broke inside the package :'(

Emailed AO about it so I'll have to wait for that :)

flipstah
05-04-2013, 08:47 AM
Autoglym officially rocks my socks. Their stuff is effective and for the interior setup, it smells fantastic!

I only bought IronX for the science shits and giggle but I love using it as a presoak/first pass before the wheel cleaner.

Shit smells like a salon, though. :barf:

K3RMiTdot
05-04-2013, 09:46 AM
Autoglym officially rocks my socks. Their stuff is effective and for the interior setup, it smells fantastic!

I only bought IronX for the science shits and giggle but I love using it as a presoak/first pass before the wheel cleaner.

Shit smells like a salon, though. :barf:

:werd: Iron X and Trix both smell like shit.. gives me headaches everytime.. i hate using it, but its so effective.

flipstah
05-04-2013, 03:24 PM
Forgot to take pictures when I was working on the Golf so in dedication to schocker, the family Slowvo was being worked on today by moi!

Getting 'er ready:

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n205/dj_flipster/WP_20130504_001_zpsa0620bea.jpg

What a mess:

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n205/dj_flipster/WP_20130504_002_zps641c6962.jpg

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n205/dj_flipster/WP_20130504_003_zpsb63a69e4.jpg

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n205/dj_flipster/WP_20130504_005_zpsb9c95024.jpg

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n205/dj_flipster/WP_20130504_006_zpsc975ce92.jpg

So what I do is I go inside first, outwards:

- Vacuum
- Carpet shampoo
- Vinyl and rubber trims/dash
- All inside windows
- Leather seats last

Then,

- Rinse
- Wheels and tyres; IronX in action!:

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n205/dj_flipster/WP_20130504_007_zps880169b9.jpg
- Exterior shampoo
- Rinse
- Wipe down/blower for glass
- Exterior glass
- Extra gloss sealant
- Exterior vinyl/plastics while the sealant cures (it's water-based so it does it quick)
- Tyre dressing

I found that in this dark color, it's harder to cleanse because the paint and the sun dries it up quick so I just went sealant after a wash:

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n205/dj_flipster/WP_20130504_008_zpsf6e7f5d8.jpg

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n205/dj_flipster/WP_20130504_009_zps2ed5aded.jpg

After a rubdown:

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n205/dj_flipster/WP_20130504_010_zps982d2dab.jpg

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n205/dj_flipster/WP_20130504_011_zpsafabe42c.jpg

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n205/dj_flipster/WP_20130504_012_zps3311eed5.jpg

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n205/dj_flipster/WP_20130504_013_zps2d80a42d.jpg

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n205/dj_flipster/WP_20130504_014_zpsefa5281e.jpg

FullFledgedYYC
05-06-2013, 11:04 AM
Iron-X is some of the most foul smelling stuff on the planet. It does work very well though.

HiSpec
05-06-2013, 12:08 PM
Great job!! But where's the claying?!?!

flipstah
05-06-2013, 01:44 PM

I forgot to buy a claybar :(

schocker
05-06-2013, 04:13 PM
Forgot to take pictures when I was working on the Golf so in dedication to schocker, the family Slowvo was being worked on today by moi!

Looks good, you can do my S40 next :rofl:

mgwatson
05-06-2013, 09:27 PM
Dont clay unless you're polishing after. All claying accomplishes is taking off any surface contaminants and micromarrs the paint. Your paint will look worse after claying so you need to take out the damage you've done to the paint by following up with a polish. Not sure where people get the idea of just claying without following it up..

know1edge
05-06-2013, 09:42 PM
What rotary and DA are you guys using?

SportEL
05-06-2013, 09:44 PM
^ It depends on the grade of clay you use. On well maintained surfaces, you will only need mild clay and it won't scratch. Just make sure you use some sort of lube. You would need to re-apply sealant or wax after though.

I use Pinnacle Ultra Poly Clay.

flipstah
05-07-2013, 08:20 AM
Anybody know how to get tree sap out of car seats, both in leather and cloth?

I read on the internetz, peanut butter (NOT CHUNKY)...

Also, when detailing the interior, what do you watch out for in particular? For me, the alternator and the coil pack should be covered before any rinsing; same with header if the car hasn't cooled down properly yet.

jaylo
05-07-2013, 04:05 PM
Shit just got real...

Meguiar's clay bar
Menzerna Power Finish 2500 (cut power of 3.0)
Menzerna Super Finish 4500 (cut of 1.0)
Menzerna Power Lock Sealant Polymer
Einszett 1Z Glanz Wax Polymer/Carnauba
Hex-Logig Chemical Guys pads

http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/ad174/jaylophotos/IMG-20130507-00065_zps43d942b7.jpg (http://s933.photobucket.com/user/jaylophotos/media/IMG-20130507-00065_zps43d942b7.jpg.html)

I'll be using Griot's DA Polisher this weekend

HiSpec
05-07-2013, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by mgwatson

Dont clay unless you're polishing after. All claying accomplishes is taking off any surface contaminants and micromarrs the paint. Your paint will look worse after claying so you need to take out the damage you've done to the paint by following up with a polish. Not sure where people get the idea of just claying without following it up..

Originally posted by SportEL
^ It depends on the grade of clay you use. On well maintained surfaces, you will only need mild clay and it won't scratch. Just make sure you use some sort of lube. You would need to re-apply sealant or wax after though.

I use Pinnacle Ultra Poly Clay.

Should try Riccardo Yellow. The Pinnacle is pretty gentle and soft clay. Great for light duty job.

Originally posted by jaylo
Shit just got real...

Meguiar's clay bar
Menzerna Power Finish 2500 (cut power of 3.0)
Menzerna Super Finish 4500 (cut of 1.0)
Menzerna Power Lock Sealant Polymer
Einszett 1Z Glanz Wax Polymer/Carnauba
Hex-Logig Chemical Guys pads

http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/ad174/jaylophotos/IMG-20130507-00065_zps43d942b7.jpg (http://s933.photobucket.com/user/jaylophotos/media/IMG-20130507-00065_zps43d942b7.jpg.html)

I'll be using Griot's DA Polisher this weekend

Great choice on Power Lock!!!

beyond_ban
05-07-2013, 04:50 PM
Anyone interested in power polishing my car? Compensation can be discussed.

flipstah
05-07-2013, 05:16 PM
jaylo's kit is where its at. :love:

jaylo
05-07-2013, 06:44 PM
jaylo's kit is where its at. :love:

Thanks, I would post my progress this weekend. I am budgeting a whole day to do a full polish and detail.

mgwatson
05-07-2013, 11:21 PM
Good product choice:thumbsup: Might need a compound in there too for the deeper scratches though.

7thgenvic
05-07-2013, 11:27 PM
how many of you guys have tried leatherique?

Going to order some tomorrow:)

flipstah
05-08-2013, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by 7thgenvic

I personally haven't but I know several people that swears by it. I think a review is in order when you get it. :thumbsup:

FullFledgedYYC
05-08-2013, 09:40 AM
Just used the the Menz 2500, 4500, and power lock last weekend. It was very good stuff. Only issue being that 2500 doesn't have a ton of cut for hard clear coats. I could have bumped up to FG-400, but meh... it's a DD.

HiSpec
05-08-2013, 12:02 PM
Just used the the Menz 2500, 4500, and power lock last weekend. It was very good stuff. Only issue being that 2500 doesn't have a ton of cut for hard clear coats. I could have bumped up to FG-400, but meh... it's a DD.

SIP (IS-1500/85RD) is also a great alternative w/o going into compound.

You can also try MF pads for more cut.

flipstah
05-08-2013, 12:03 PM
Good product choice:thumbsup: Might need a compound in there too for the deeper scratches though.

I'll have to buy a buffer and try this out as the Slowvo has door ding residue from light-colored cars. Sticks out like a sore thumb. :banghead:

mgwatson
05-08-2013, 01:27 PM

I swear by it! I actually just re-leatheriqued my seats last weekend.

Its simple.. put A LOT of the oil on your seats (3-4oz per seat, I apply it with a foam paint brush personally), let your car sit in the car with the windows closed for the whole day (cover your seats with a garbage bag for even more effect), then when the sun sets, take a horsehair brush and the pristine clean to the seats to clean off all the gummy oil and your seats will look brand new.

Don't be afraid to use it on your leather steering wheel, shift boot, ebrake boot, etc. too!

Great stuff!

flipstah
05-08-2013, 01:32 PM

I swear by it! I actually just re-leatheriqued my seats last weekend.

Its simple.. put A LOT of the oil on your seats (3-4oz per seat, I apply it with a foam paint brush personally), let your car sit in the car with the windows closed for the whole day (cover your seats with a garbage bag for even more effect), then when the sun sets, take a horsehair brush and the pristine clean to the seats to clean off all the gummy oil and your seats will look brand new.

Don't be afraid to use it on your leather steering wheel, shift boot, ebrake boot, etc. too!

Great stuff!

Does it refill wrinkles or just a moisturizer? The leather is cracking on the Volvo and since it's a light beige interior, the cracks show up dark.

HiSpec
05-08-2013, 01:55 PM

Does it refill wrinkles or just a moisturizer? The leather is cracking on the Volvo and since it's a light beige interior, the cracks show up dark.

I've worked on cars with dirt and jean transfer mixed into they cracks of leather causing them to look like cracks. But a thorough scrubbing of the leather usually fix that issue.

Fortunately, I've never had to repair any severely cracked leather. But I have rejuvenated summer uv and winter dried leather with 'leather vital' by leather master or leather milk by SV.

If you encounter any 'spider webbing' (micro cracks), that is the urathene protection failing.

You will need to remove / renew the surface protection.

But what 'Watson suggested is effective and usually does the job.

jaylo
05-08-2013, 04:21 PM

I got the Meguiar's 105 with Orange Hex-Logic foam Pad as a last resort

I will start with the Menzerna Power Finish 2500 with White Hex-Logic foam pad first

I have an MY2010 so the scratches/swirls are not too bad

mgwatson
05-08-2013, 11:02 PM

Nothing will "fill" the cracked leather. Put it this way... Leather seats should be treated the way you treat your skin. If you don't use moisturizer, your skin will dry out... Same goes for leather. It's an organic materal with pores just like in your skin. When the pores get clogged with oil from our skin and other sources of grease/dirt it will turn the leather all shiny. To restore the leather back to its original matte finish you need something that will penetrate the pores and remove all the oil/dirt stuck in them. This is what the leatherique Rejuvenator Oil does once you apply it and let it soak in in the sun for 8-24 hours.

As far as creases (not full blown cracks) in the leather... The rejuvenator oil will all moisturize the leather and return the suppleness to it and help smooth out the creases and help deter the creation of new ones.

I highly recommend trying the leatherique combo, it works miracles :thumbsup:

carson blocks
05-09-2013, 09:03 AM
I just added a new vacuum to my detailing kit, I think it was a pretty good deal and it seems to work well so I figured I'd post it up.

It's the RIDGID 53L with the detailing kit (better hose, some brushes and attachments) and it's currently on sale for $128.

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/ridgid-53-litre-14-us-gallon-wet-dry-vacuum-with-auto-detail-kit/832141

The vacuum is the WD1450, normally $149 on it's own.

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/ridgid-53-litre-professional-series-wet-dry-vac/971345

And the detailing kit is normally $49 on it's own.

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/auto-detailing-kit/906292

I bought it last night and it seems to work pretty good. The suction is not as good as an extractor of course, but was enough to clean the stained seats and carpets on a beater I'm working on. Fairly quiet for a shopvac too.

flipstah
05-09-2013, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by carson blocks
I just added a new vacuum to my detailing kit, I think it was a pretty good deal and it seems to work well so I figured I'd post it up.

It's the RIDGID 53L with the detailing kit (better hose, some brushes and attachments) and it's currently on sale for $128.

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/ridgid-53-litre-14-us-gallon-wet-dry-vacuum-with-auto-detail-kit/832141

The vacuum is the WD1450, normally $149 on it's own.

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/ridgid-53-litre-professional-series-wet-dry-vac/971345

And the detailing kit is normally $49 on it's own.

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/auto-detailing-kit/906292

I bought it last night and it seems to work pretty good. The suction is not as good as an extractor of course, but was enough to clean the stained seats and carpets on a beater I'm working on. Fairly quiet for a shopvac too.

That's a very good deal but way too big for me. I found that with mine, it's compact so it's easy to bring to detailing parties. :thumbsup: :clap:

flipstah
06-01-2013, 05:22 PM
Anybody know if IronX can be bought locally? That bottle didn't last that long with my brother's white wheels and the Golf's persistence to provide me with a never-ending supply of brake dust. :nut:

Also, has anyone ever heard of SHARKHIDE Aluminum cleaner? Thinking of using it in my exhaust tips:

au-GMGcQ2kg

Cooked Rice
06-07-2013, 02:05 AM
Got some new additions today. I would lay my whole kit out for a picture, but it's 2 large boxes full lol. Chemical Guy's Stripper Scent ftw, I bought a 4oz bottle of it a few weeks ago, and liked it so much I had to get a 16oz bottle.

http://s22.postimg.org/9y1j28w69/Photo.jpg

Anybody know if IronX can be bought locally? That bottle didn't last that long with my brother's white wheels and the Golf's persistence to provide me with a never-ending supply of brake dust. :nut:

I buy it in the larger 1 liter bottle and put it in a pressurized sprayer. It disperses it a lot more evenly as a fine mist so you don't have to waste it.

HiSpec
06-07-2013, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by Cooked Rice
Got some new additions today. I would lay my whole kit out for a picture, but it's 2 large boxes full lol. Chemical Guy's Stripper Scent ftw, I bought a 4oz bottle of it a few weeks ago, and liked it so much I had to get a 16oz bottle.

http://s22.postimg.org/9y1j28w69/Photo.jpg

I'd say add V7 into your next order. You won't regret it :D

flipstah
06-09-2013, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by Cooked Rice

I buy it in the larger 1 liter bottle and put it in a pressurized sprayer. It disperses it a lot more evenly as a fine mist so you don't have to waste it.

Yup. If I had to do it again, I'd buy the bigger bottle and buy my own spray bottle from the dollar store.

The one that it came with only had straight shot and no mist option so it was definitely wasted. :banghead:

know1edge
06-15-2013, 06:14 PM

There's a rather large debate on whether leatherique works on coated leathers or not. I've never used it on any seats that were in less than ok condition, so can't say how great it works.

I'll have to buy a buffer and try this out as the Slowvo has door ding residue from light-colored cars. Sticks out like a sore thumb. :banghead:

prob come out with just some clay

Anybody know if IronX can be bought locally? That bottle didn't last that long with ... the Golf's persistence to provide me with a never-ending supply of brake dust. :nut:

Applying it everyday or something? Seems you're far overusing it, it's only necessary for baked on dust/embedded particles

flipstah
06-15-2013, 06:45 PM

Applying it everyday or something? Seems you're far
overusing it, it's only necessary for baked on dust/embedded particles

Well, it's baked on in my car and my brother used most of it on his white wheels. It also didn't help that the bottle was all 'stream' and not 'mist'.

jaylo
06-15-2013, 07:26 PM
No need to use ironX all the time. I use AutoGlym Custom Wheel Cleaner and it works like a charm for $10 a bottle it is good for about 5-10 washes

HiSpec
06-15-2013, 08:17 PM

Well, it's baked on in my car and my brother used most of it on his white wheels. It also didn't help that the bottle was all 'stream' and not 'mist'.

Should opti-coat your wheels. It'll make it easier to clean w/o having you use Iron-X.

know1edge
06-15-2013, 09:13 PM

Your post suggested you used it multiple times in the ~6 weeks you had it, I'm just wondering exactly how baked on it could possibly be on a 2012 vw in that timeframe
:/

Originally posted by jaylo
No need to use ironX all the time. I use AutoGlym Custom Wheel Cleaner and it works like a charm for $10 a bottle it is good for about 5-10 washes

wanna trade for some of that wheel cleaner? I wanted to get it in my latest order but Autogeek doesn't carry it anymore?

FraserB
06-15-2013, 11:40 PM
Hey Flipstah,

Wanna give me a quick tutorial some afternoon in the first few weeks of July?

Just want to make the Jeep a bit nicer exterior wise. Doesn't have to be showroom quality since its an offroad toy.

jaylo
06-16-2013, 12:51 PM

Your post suggested you used it multiple times in the ~6 weeks you had it, I'm just wondering exactly how baked on it could possibly be on a 2012 vw in that timeframe
:/

wanna trade for some of that wheel cleaner? I wanted to get it in my latest order but Autogeek doesn't carry it anymore?

I find the Stream setting works well on applying the wheel cleaner as it "foams" when it hits the wheel and you don't inhale/smell as much of the chemical when applying

AutoGlym Custom Wheel Cleaner is available (still) in Canadian Tire. There's two types of wheel cleaner (Custom WC and Alloy WC) and either one should be fine, the Custom being a little stronger and harder to rinse off.

K3RMiTdot
06-16-2013, 05:49 PM
arg.. just got the griots speed shine... somehow opened itself and split all over my trunk.