PDA

View Full Version : Poor posture

DeleriousZ
04-01-2013, 09:27 PM
So, some days I feel like the fucking hunchback of notre dame, I'll catch myself slumped over leaning into the computer, or driving the car, or even standing around.

I've got a desk job (sadface) and spend a good 8 hours a day sitting. I'd like to hear if any of you have some experiences and success correcting poor posture permanently?

natty54
04-01-2013, 09:34 PM
Ya mine is terrible as well. Its hard to always keep conscious about it. and I do the same. I have looked into braces but never found any.

shakalaka
04-01-2013, 09:35 PM
Just make a conscious effort to fix it. Every time you notice yourself slouching just correct yourself. This includes while sitting, walking and doing anything. Before you know it'll become a habit.

I guess I started doing it a little while walking back in high school when my mom noticed it and told me about it. Ever since then I make a conscious effort to stick my chest out and have my back straight when I walk. Now I am always like that naturally.

flipstah
04-01-2013, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by shakalaka
Just make a conscious effort to fix it. Every time you notice yourself slouching just correct yourself. This includes while sitting, walking and doing anything. Before you know it'll become a habit.

+1. I noticed it too when I was walking so now I always go chest out, back straight when walking.

Eventually, it'll be second nature.

fayzed
04-01-2013, 09:56 PM
my posture is horrible as well, i started wearing MBTs about 3 years ago, they look ugly, on my 2nd pair, maybe a bit gimicky but i do find my posture is better.

http://ca.mbt.com/Home/Benefits.aspx

ExtraSlow
04-02-2013, 07:15 AM
I've got awful posture as well. My physio suggests that it's due to weak core muscles, which I definetly have. I'm working on that, and just trying to make an effort.

Another thing, if your posture is poor while sitting, take some stretching breaks during the day. Just two minutes can really loosen you up.

403ep3
04-02-2013, 11:30 AM
I try my best to have good posture but it doesn't always happen. New job has desks that can have the height adjusted with the click of an arrow so I might use that to my advantage!:burnout:

Mibz
04-02-2013, 11:38 AM
When I crashed my car and started going to physio I was given a bunch of exercises to help with posture as well as fix my back/neck and they've definitely helped. Like others mentioned, you'll start catching yourself slouching more and more often, and eventually it just becomes more comfortable to have good posture.

That's not to say my posture now is stellar, but it's certainly better than what it used to be.

bspot
04-02-2013, 11:39 AM
How many people read the thread title and then sat up straight? :rofl:

Tej.S
04-02-2013, 11:50 AM
I used to do the same thing and my dad would ALWAYS catch me and call me out on it. Like mentioned above, once you start making a conscious effort to fix it yourself, you'll eventually improve.

msommers
04-02-2013, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by bspot

Guilty

flipstah
04-02-2013, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by bspot

Whenever I roll my shoulders back, I hear cracks. :(

LollerBrader
04-18-2013, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by shakalaka

I disagree.

A logtime habit of slouching and bad posture takes more than just correcting on the fly - It requires the restrengthening of weakened muscles...

A combination of weakness and tightness is the reason you're slouching.

You need a program that will increase strength and flexibility. Yoga is one path. See a physiotherapist for something more focused.

GS430
04-18-2013, 03:02 PM
Apparently yoga is a great way to fix posture.

theken
04-18-2013, 03:25 PM
push your shoulders back is what I have heard, especially while driving