PDA

View Full Version : Not happy Lad's Auto pushing to get more $$$ out of me

ewol
04-02-2013, 10:28 AM
Up until I got a couple of follow up calls from Lad's Auto I was ok with their service.

I had alot of work to be done with my car but worked it out with the service guy Nathan to put off some work until I got more dough-I already paid more than I expected.

Couple of days later I get a call to see how my car was then BAM they're asking me when I'm available to bring my car in to finish the reset of the work! I'm asking what's the deal as I'd already worked it out to do the rest later got nowhere with an answer.

Then I get another call from the service manager Jamie who says he looked over my invoice and in his professional opinion I shouldn't put any of this stuff over and to book soon. WTF? He goes on to say if I don't they wouldn't be liable for anything. Dude I signed some papers to say I'm putting off some work on the car.

Not impressed with the pushy service. Not impressed with the money grubbing. Not impressed period.

Never going back to finish the work. Never recommending Lad's Auto.

JRSC00LUDE
04-02-2013, 10:31 AM
Ummmmm........what's the problem?

Mibz
04-02-2013, 10:31 AM
What sort of work are we talking about?

Kloubek
04-02-2013, 10:36 AM
Is it possible that the work that still needs to be done could be making your vehicle unsafe? And if that is the case, is it that unreasonable for them to want to cover their butts to ensure you can't claim down the road that they said the issues were no big deal?

Granted, you'd have a hard time making a case to blame a shop for your vehicle failure... but in this word of people suing because coffee is too hot you never know...

DeleriousZ
04-02-2013, 10:38 AM
Um, is the work necessary to make your car safe to drive? If they're recommending it that strongly, either they're really shady, or your car is in rough shape.

Maxx Mazda
04-02-2013, 10:58 AM
It's just good business practice. I'll reserve judgement until we hear what exactly you need to bring it back in for.

ercchry
04-02-2013, 10:59 AM
coles notes:

-i drive a piece of shit
-i am a cheap prick
-shop thinks my car is unsafe
-tell shop that one day i will fix my car with them
-shop asks wtf i am waiting for
-i cry on the internet

Mibz
04-02-2013, 11:08 AM
Bout time you changed your avatar

ercchry
04-02-2013, 11:10 AM
i figured i should have a current car for at least a few months up there :rofl:

...or maybe it will give me the willpower to not buy something new... but i doubt that

Mibz
04-02-2013, 11:13 AM
You'll start snatching up bikes soon enough. After shopping for cars for months, nothing feels so good as seeing 4-figure pricing on exactly what you want.

ercchry
04-02-2013, 11:15 AM
yeah... i've been doing that too, easy to justify with how much i'd save on gas :rofl:

the buell isnt big enough to be enjoyable for the commute to work... but i want European, so... 5 figures :rofl:

Mibz
04-02-2013, 11:34 AM
Haha, shit, I'm doing the opposite. German car, Japanese bike. Your way sounds much better.

heavyD
04-02-2013, 12:07 PM
Sounds like a legit business simply covering their bases and possibly even being concerned about your well being if the car is not road worthy in its present state. Best part about this thread is that if the OP's car does fail and he gets into a bad situation he has now let the shop off the hook for liability now there's documented proof they followed up and recommended the work. Way to go.:thumbsup:

CanmoreOrLess
04-02-2013, 12:21 PM
Just another reason we need provincial inspections every one or two years in Alberta, too many unsafe vehicles running about thinking they are safe. If you cannot afford to keep your vehicle in proper shape, take a bus, Car2Go, taxi, bum a ride or hitchhike. And to the 99.13% of the HD motorcycle owners, FM get a proper muffler.

Tik-Tok
04-02-2013, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by CanmoreOrLess
Just another reason we need provincial inspections every one or two years in Alberta, too many unsafe vehicles running about thinking they are safe. And to the 99.13% of the HD motorcycle owners, FM get a proper muffler.

Waste of tax payers money.

Most people who drive POS's, have mechanic friends (or friends of friends) that pass anything for a case of beer. Just look at Nova Scotia, PEI, and New Brunswick. Tons of shitty cars out there as well, and they have annual "inspections".

Twin_Cam_Turbo
04-02-2013, 12:43 PM
Personally I just put a line on a customers work order after they decline safety or repercussion related work and leave it at that.

HO2S
04-02-2013, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by heavyD
Sounds like a legit business simply covering their bases and possibly even being concerned about your well being if the car is not road worthy in its present state. Best part about this thread is that if the OP's car does fail and he gets into a bad situation he has now let the shop off the hook for liability now there's documented proof they followed up and recommended the work. Way to go.:thumbsup:

I'm sure their is a big disclaimer on his invoice that says the vehicle is not safe. The customer and the shop both have copys of that invoice.

In no way shape or form would the shop ever be blamed if a incident were to happen with this car. Automotive shops can only make recomendations and assume no liability when no work has been preformed. They are only liable for the work that they preform. If the car needed both lower ball joints and the customer only wanted the left one replaced the shop is liable for just the left one, not both.

If the shop was concerned about public saftey they would have contacted CPS. The cops would track him down force him to get a inspection and remove the plate off the vehicle if repairs were not made.

It is a pushy sales tactic. The owner of the car is content on driving his vehicle is the state that it is in, and he assumes all of the responsibility if he kills some one and he is ok with that.

As far as we know the extra work could be a coolant flush.....

ndhal417
04-02-2013, 12:49 PM
I think Lads is that place the chick with the shitty avalanche from calgary Hyundai worked. This could be interesting.

Weapon_R
04-02-2013, 02:37 PM
It's sales. People follow up on leads. Get used to it and stop crying.

Kramerica
04-02-2013, 02:47 PM
Can we make it a forum rule that you have to be atleast above newbie to make a thread accusing businesses of shitting on them for doing standard practice?

I can't wait till we he drops some bullshit like he got them to convert his back brakes from drums to discs and thinks they're trying to upsell him on the proportioning valve or some other idiotic thing.

sr20s14zenki
04-02-2013, 03:07 PM
Ill just leave this here, good day y'all

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t46/Jimbomonkey/Whambulance3.jpg

Supa Dexta
04-02-2013, 03:44 PM
No we don't need fukin inspections.. Good lord.. :rolleyes:

How does this affect you? Because he wined on the net? When has an unsafe car ever caused you an issue? (besides a break down that may back up a lane - but that can happen to a new vehicle) Pisses me off when people think the gov't always need to do more babysitting. :banghead:

M.alex
04-02-2013, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by DeleriousZ
Um, is the work necessary to make your car safe to drive? If they're recommending it that strongly, either they're really shady, or your car is in rough shape.

Oh, you know, leaking fuel lines and a faulty brake master cylinder .... nothing that's a big deal :nut:

Jeeper1986
04-02-2013, 05:55 PM
http://thenonsequitur.com/wp-content/plugins/2013/03/fry-can-t-tell-meme-generator-can-t-tell-if-satire-or-just-troll-1e7d86.jpg

ewol
04-04-2013, 09:05 AM
Wow the assumptions that are posted....

Sorry I didn't detail my invoice. My car is not a piece of shit. The work that was put off is not detrimental to the car's road worthiness. We are talking about blades, belts, battery, fluid change - we're talking spring package stuff.

Calling me on this stuff to do asap spells desperado for dough.

GS430
04-04-2013, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by ewol

Sorry I didn't detail my invoice. My car is not a piece of shit. The work that was put off is not detrimental to the car's road worthiness. We are talking about blades, belts, battery, fluid change - we're talking spring package stuff.

lol you make one shady post and you don't expect people to jump to conclusions?

You didn't specify ANYTHING. :dunno:

ercchry
04-04-2013, 09:12 AM
not to mention it was his first and only post on beyond... kind of like the thing a competing shop would do to sewer the competition cause they are "desperado for dough"

FraserB
04-04-2013, 09:14 AM

It's a sales based business, they would be remiss if they didn't follow up with you.

I would however say that if you wipers are shot and your battery/belts are on the way out, only a fool wouldn't replace them.

Tik-Tok
04-04-2013, 09:25 AM

That's what happens what you're vague as hell, then don't come back and post for days.

Xtrema
04-04-2013, 09:52 AM

So you are bitching about up-sell?

clem24
04-04-2013, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by Xtrema

So you are bitching about up-sell?

Hmm a shop that fixed his car to his satisfaction and didn't rip him off. They gave professional advice but OP is cheap. I guess +1 to Lad's Auto and -1 to OP? That's what I am getting out of this thread.

Would love Lad's Auto to chime in.