PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy compact car batteries?

coupesx
04-02-2013, 02:22 PM
Need to replace the battery for my 240sx and in order to fit into the engine bay it must be fairly compact. I was hoping to find one of these Westco 12V mini batteries since it has 475 CCA:

http://www.frsport.com/Westco-Mini-Battery-12V_p_1064.html

Ordering online is terrible because of shipping/brokerage. I will settle for other brands, the main thing is having decent CCA. Most of these mini batteries only have like 180-225 which IMO isn't enough.

So, know of any local places that deal in this sort of thing?

coupesx
04-02-2013, 03:39 PM
Ok after looking at reviews and size requirements I am now looking for an Odyssey 680. Anyone know where I can get this in the NW?

Supa Dexta
04-02-2013, 04:11 PM
Theres stores in town that only deal in batteries, check one out.

ercchry
04-02-2013, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by coupesx
Ok after looking at reviews and size requirements I am now looking for an Odyssey 680. Anyone know where I can get this in the NW?

vex carries odyssey

rx7_turbo2
04-02-2013, 10:35 PM
Battery Direct, get ready, the Odyssey's are awesome but they come with a price to match.

cam_wmh
04-02-2013, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by rx7_turbo2
Battery Direct, get ready, the Odyssey's are awesome but they come with a price to match.

Just bought one. $440.

EM1FTW
04-02-2013, 11:29 PM
Battery world sells them.
I bought mine here http://www.saskbattery.com/ecommerce_154.htm
Cheap, and fast free shipping!

jdmgt
04-02-2013, 11:50 PM
A n d batteries, they stock odyssey battered.

A n D Batteries Ltd
535 Manitou Rd SE Calgary, AB T2G4C2

coupesx
04-03-2013, 12:15 AM
Originally posted by EM1FTW
Battery world sells them.
I bought mine here http://www.saskbattery.com/ecommerce_154.htm
Cheap, and fast free shipping!

Did you buy the SAE top post terminals as an accessory as indicated on that website? Why aren't those included? Guessing because it's not an auto battery by design

coupesx
04-03-2013, 12:39 AM
Anyone know if Braille batteries are sold locally?

v2kai
04-03-2013, 12:58 AM
Lucked out and found a Shorai on kijiji recently
http://www.buyabattery.com/ShoraiLFX36L3-BS12lithiumbattery.html

comes with a price tag but would fit your battery needs. No price listed on this particulary site though. Seems to go for around 300-350 shipped from most Canadian and US retailers. Cant find the retailer I was looking at earlier out east... will update if I find it

coupesx
04-03-2013, 03:35 PM
Unable to find Braille locally so far :(

rx7_turbo2
04-03-2013, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by v2kai
Lucked out and found a Shorai on kijiji recently
http://www.buyabattery.com/ShoraiLFX36L3-BS12lithiumbattery.html

comes with a price tag but would fit your battery needs. No price listed on this particulary site though. Seems to go for around 300-350 shipped from most Canadian and US retailers. Cant find the retailer I was looking at earlier out east... will update if I find it

I've had pretty bad luck with the Shorai's. I've gone through two of them, and of the 4 other people I know who gave them a try ALL of them failed at about the 1 year mark. All of the batteries acted the same way.

Brand new they fucking rock! Can't be beat! Then almost like clockwork at the 1 year mark, without warning, toast. I mean toast like worked 30 seconds ago flawlessly like new and now won't even crank. All of the other people who had them experienced the exact same thing, and all of us were Con'd into buying the Shorai charger as well so....

Shorai always warrantied the battery's to their credit, but when they're installed on dirtbikes that find themselves miles from anything you're a little reluctant to give them a second chance.

Maybe in automotive applications they've proved better?

coupesx
04-03-2013, 03:54 PM
So I just called a shop and they basically told me that Odyssey 680's and the other $200 alternatives are not suitable for daily driving as the battery is just too small. I was recommended a lithium battery that is also compact but unfortunately is like $500. Kind of stuck for options at this point, don't really want to spend that much.

Are there any people here running compact batteries in their cars as DAILY DRIVERS? I am not talking about winter driving when it's terribly cold, just spring/summer/fall. I need some more opinions.

ercchry
04-03-2013, 03:58 PM
i use to go through a cheapy tractor battery every season... it sounds like you talked to jimmy, tell him to eff off and get the odyssey :rofl:

coupesx
04-03-2013, 04:01 PM
^ Lol replacing cheap batteries is one thing, but the Odyssey is like $200. He basically said it's unreliable as a daily driver. Aint nobody got time fo dat

ercchry
04-03-2013, 04:03 PM
its warrantied, isnt it? the tractor ones were... they caught on quick though... only got one free replacement :rofl:

coupesx
04-03-2013, 04:05 PM
Haha yeah but that's not really the issue....I want my car to start every time I use it.

ercchry
04-03-2013, 04:08 PM
then drop $500... or, relocate a fullsized to your trunk

v2kai
04-03-2013, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by rx7_turbo2

I've had pretty bad luck with the Shorai's. I've gone through two of them, and of the 4 other people I know who gave them a try ALL of them failed at about the 1 year mark. All of the batteries acted the same way.

Brand new they fucking rock! Can't be beat! Then almost like clockwork at the 1 year mark, without warning, toast. I mean toast like worked 30 seconds ago flawlessly like new and now won't even crank. All of the other people who had them experienced the exact same thing, and all of us were Con'd into buying the Shorai charger as well so....

Shorai always warrantied the battery's to their credit, but when they're installed on dirtbikes that find themselves miles from anything you're a little reluctant to give them a second chance.

Maybe in automotive applications they've proved better?

couple guys on s2ki have run the larger Shorais for a few years and have nothing but praise. I hope it goes smoothly, good to hear some feedback though. Got nothing to lose. Didnt pay full price so if it bites the dust in a year... ah well. I was debating the Shorai charger.. still on the fence and even more so taking your info into account.
:hijack:

Maxt
04-03-2013, 08:27 PM
The problem with the AGM batteries is they need a higher finishing voltage than standard batteries, and older cars don't have high enough alternator voltage to really keep them at 100% charge. Odyssey wants IIRC above 14.1, preferablly 14.5. The cars I had them were consistently in the low 13's for alternator voltage, and I never got much life out of odysseys, the longest lasted maybe 2 or 3 months. I bought a special approved charger for them, and tried to bring them back to life but had no luck.
The little Lithiums are way better.

coupesx
04-03-2013, 09:11 PM
^ What brand of lithium did you go with? I know Shorai makes one for around $350 (that fits compactly).

rx7_turbo2
04-04-2013, 08:55 AM
A lot of guys have had great luck with Turntech
http://www.turntechbattery.com/TurnTech%20Battery/Welcome.html

The website is a little sparse but if you contact them they have built custom batteries for people at pretty reasonable prices.

Ca_Silvia13
04-04-2013, 10:23 AM
Wow people are willing to pay 200+ for battery. I'm with Eric on this just get a lawn mower battery from CT. They are 50 bucks, come with a 1 year warranty and even if they crap out you can buy 4 for the price of 1 Oddessy battery.

I run a lawn mower battery in my Silvia, works perfectly fine.

gamman
04-04-2013, 11:47 PM
As someone who uses a pc680 sized batteries for my supercharger, I can tell you there are so many things to regulate etc (see maxt post), its up to you, $200/400 or $50. Btdt.

Just don't think about cca. If its a summer car, you don't start it in the cold? Temps wreak havoc on all batteries. It needs to be in a/hr. we have found that 18a/hr will start a 2.0 golf for almost two years if you take care of it. If you leave lights on etc, they can't last. Our two years was also including outdoors and winter. 22A/hr is not much more money and isn't much bigger but better for an all rounder. There is much more to this, but this is my Coles notes summary.

Cca is like 30 secs of cranking. I was told starter motors don't like it more than 10.

Low priced batteries from sites above work as well as oddessey's we have found.

coupesx
04-05-2013, 01:05 AM
Yes I am likely going to go with a compact lithium battery over the AGM style compacts. It will be a bit more expensive but there shouldn't be any issues from what I've been reading.

TheStigz
04-05-2013, 12:13 PM
Or spend a couple hundred bucks on thick gauge electrical wire and relocate to the trunk? Run a normal battery? Hey look now you can drift your 240sx and race in compeitions! (depending on rules for cages, relocations, fire supresison systems etc)

Dont get raped by compat shit prices?... There is an app for that.

ercchry
04-05-2013, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by TheStigz
Or spend a couple hundred bucks on thick gauge electrical wire and relocate to the trunk? Run a normal battery? Hey look now you can drift your 240sx and race in compeitions! (depending on rules for cages, relocations, fire supresison systems etc)

Dont get raped by compat shit prices?... There is an app for that.

can be a bitch to relocate to "spec" though... lots of bodies require proper venting and what not

coupesx
04-05-2013, 02:18 PM
Anyone know if Westco Miata batteries are sold locally?

omfgcurtis
04-05-2013, 09:42 PM
I use a honda fit battery in my car, it was about half the size/weight of my original battery, It may not be as light/compact as some of the other options but the CCA rating was good enough for a year round battery.

962 kid
04-05-2013, 10:16 PM
I bought my Shorai from Blackfoot motorsports, seen too many PC680s and PC925s shit the bed in under a year. Pricey, sure but in terms of weight reduction it's about the best dollar per pound you can get without a recip.

If the $350 is too much to spend, I've had really good luck with Harley Davidson batteries, can be had locally for about a hundred bucks

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00688Q8LS/ref=asc_df_B00688Q8LS2448084?tag=thefind0271049-20&creative=395261&creativeASIN=B00688Q8LS&linkCode=asn

roll_over
04-05-2013, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by omfgcurtis
I use a honda fit battery in my car, it was about half the size/weight of my original battery, It may not be as light/compact as some of the other options but the CCA rating was good enough for a year round battery. . Beat me to it I was going to suggest a fit battery or miata