PDA

View Full Version : What does your bike get for gas mileage?

Boosted131
04-02-2013, 03:55 PM
Just want to see what different bikes are getting, I'll start

Cbr- average 6.0-6.5 L/100 km fairly heavy hand (foot)

ercchry
04-02-2013, 04:01 PM
i cant be bothered to pay attention to it... so i will just cite data from crazy ass people that actual pay attention to such small expenses...

http://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/buell/blast

shakalaka
04-02-2013, 04:03 PM
:werd:

Don't even bother looking at my car. lol

Graham_A_M
04-02-2013, 04:17 PM
The instantaneous fuel calculator on my bike reads about 4.0 on the highway. In the city its about 6-8 on average. When Im goosing it, it climbs to 12-15 though.

HHURICANE1
04-02-2013, 04:25 PM
No idea what l/100km is but I average ~45 mpg combined. Been as high as 51 mpg highway.

turbotrip
04-02-2013, 06:25 PM
Some serious ballas in this thread...

Mibz
04-02-2013, 08:50 PM
Never cared. I can tell you that it costs about $12 to fill up and that's about it.

haggis88
04-02-2013, 09:08 PM
having done a grand total of about 10km on it since i got it, i've no idea :thumbsdow

does anyone buy a bike based on it's gas mileage though?

Graham_A_M
04-02-2013, 09:31 PM
^ Only people that would buy a moped or a scooter would. Its been about 5% of the decision process for me. :dunno:

AE92_TreunoSC
04-02-2013, 09:33 PM
Range is a far more important question.

toor
04-03-2013, 07:58 AM
I've blown through an entire tank in 180km, but stretched one to 290km before while following my pops on his Harley, so it really depends! With an approximately 15+3L tank, that's between 6 and 10L per 100km, while the spec is 5.8L/100km which would be perfectly doable if I was basically asleep at the wheel... Typically I put in 15L at about 220km, so 6.8L/100km.

2009 Honda CBR600RR
Fuel Capacity: 4.8 gallons, including 0.9-gallon reserve
Estimated Fuel Economy: 40 mpg

Edit: I like the dudes who are too "baller" for basic knowledge of their rides and/or simple math, you so cooool, brah

RedlineMS
04-03-2013, 07:59 AM
ZX10r, I average 6.6 (35.64 mpg) Range is around 240 km's

Boosted131
04-03-2013, 08:21 AM
It's nice to know how my bike does, since it's 3x cheaper than my truck lol.

chkolny541
04-03-2013, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by Boosted131
It's nice to know how my bike does, since it's 3x cheaper than my truck lol.

My bike does nearly the same as my honda civic, but is about 100X funner to drive.:guns: :guns:

I haven't measured my fuel capacity yet, got the bike about a month ago and usually I end up filling up after the end of every cruise (around 10$ at a time), and I always forget to reset the odo :banghead:

ercchry
04-03-2013, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by toor

Edit: I like the dudes who are too "baller" for basic knowledge of their rides and/or simple math, you so cooool, brah

not all of us have OCD... i bought my vehicles to transport me, when they are empty i fill them. i must travel, travel uses fuel. knowing how much is used does not change anything

toor
04-03-2013, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by ercchry
not all of us have OCD... i bought my vehicles to transport me, when they are empty i fill them. i must travel, travel uses fuel. knowing how much is used does not change anything

There's nothing OCD about having sufficient knowledge of your ride to plan/execute a roadtrip while considering your real-world fuel consumption. I'm lucky enough to have a gas gauge but many bikes don't. Being able to quickly calculate remaining range is a very useful skill as you approach the point of no return... Travel basics.

You really should get into the habit of assessing your gas situation as you approach half-tank, and always be aware of it in harsh winter conditions or remote areas. If you ever leave the urban safety net of 24hr gas stations, you might find that your vehicle is empty, and there is nowhere to fill it.

The smart dashboards that show you consumption/range make people dumb. Then again I like math, numbers infect my brain and the five seconds of mental math it takes to play the L/100km while I pop the cap back in is FUN :D

ercchry
04-03-2013, 09:14 AM
my bike isnt fun outside of its urban safety net, as its a dinky little bike that loses against crosswinds. i can also run it dry, flip to reserve and go another 50kms

my car has a gauge... it does not go off the highway, as long as i fill it around 1/2 tank as i pass through small towns. im golden.

i'd rather use my math for good... like making money

Mibz
04-03-2013, 09:49 AM
LOL @ toor

I genuinely can't believe how upset you're getting at the fact that people use their bikes differently than you, or that some of us don't pay attention to how many litres are going into our bikes at each fill and match those numbers to our odos to calculate another number that has no bearing on our rides at all.

You think I'm somehow more likely to end up stranded on the side of the road because I don't know my mpg?

Ha.

ercchry
04-03-2013, 09:51 AM
he is clearly the rainman of the motorcycle world...

Mibz
04-03-2013, 09:59 AM
he is clearly the rainman of the motorcycle world... I seriously need to learn Photoshop or something.

http://i.imgur.com/ihIKXfl.jpg

toor
04-03-2013, 10:05 AM
I'm not upset, I just think you're dumb. Not "durr, math is hard", more in your ignorance of something so basic.

ercchry
04-03-2013, 10:07 AM
it has no affect on my life... i am aware of a vague range for a full tank on all my vehicles.. but i do not feel the need to track an exact number every time i fill up

Mibz
04-03-2013, 10:10 AM
If you routinely insist on calling people out for little things that you think they should be doing, and intentionally insult them in the process, you're gonna have a bad time.

toor
04-03-2013, 10:17 AM
Yeah, I liked your explanation and understand the reasoning. I never knew the mileage of my work van, just that it wanted moar and I wasn't paying. For me it's a nasty mental habit from road trips and hunting up north.

shakalaka
It's okay guys...we must all be just dumb as toor says. I guess good for him that he isn't then. :rofl:

Graham_A_M
I'm not upset, I just think you're dumb. Not "durr, math is hard", more in your ignorance of something so basic.
Um, no Errchy is not "dumb", nor anybody else thats posted in this thread thus far. The fact you'd get all butthurt and call others names makes me earnestly wonder about you though.

Its cute you have a rampant fetish for math. Im sure it gives you a hard-on, but you're one a kind in terms of that. I have a few more important things then simple pointless math to worry about through out the day, so its just not something I could care less about really.

I think for the most part we all know how many km's we can get out of a tank, in both the city and the highway, so I for one dont analyze things past that point. I know of purely highway riding, that I can get about 300-330km's per tank if I dont ride like an idiot.

Given those numbers with a 15 liter tank, it just reaffirms my instantaneous and immediate fuel economy that the computer already calculates.

toor
04-03-2013, 10:19 AM
Do you bother resetting your trip odo, or have any idea how far that $12 usually gets you? Don't be alarmed, but you may actually know enough to calculate your mileage... sorry, but having this level of knowledge of "small amounts" automatically revokes your baller status.

shakalaka
04-03-2013, 10:24 AM
Just cause we don't incessantly calculate our fuel consumption, doesn't mean we think we are 'ballers' or something...but clearly you're way too smart to see that.

I see that math isn't the only thing you're good at. You're douchecanoe skills are right up there too.

Graham_A_M
04-03-2013, 10:24 AM
Do you bother resetting your trip odo, or have any idea how far that $12 usually gets you? Don't be alarmed, but you may actually know enough to calculate your mileage... sorry, but having this level of knowledge of "small amounts" automatically revokes your baller status.

$12 from when the fuel light is on would get me about 220kms. I dont need to reset my trip meter, I think mines at about 8,000k now since I never bother with it for much of anything. I just add the proposed 220kms to my odometer, simple math eh?
:nut:

toor
04-03-2013, 10:26 AM
It's not about the numbers, it's about knowing how much you've got and how far you can go... which means you know the numbers... but are too cool and baller to bother with them?

Now that you mention it, I totally have a math fetish. I remember when a girl quickly solved a complex equation in class once and my panties basically hit the floor, with my dick flopping out onto the desk.

toor
04-03-2013, 10:28 AM
Your forgetting my grammar Nazi skills, shaka

ercchry
04-03-2013, 10:30 AM
the only thing i have taken from this thread is that i need to get a bigger bike again :rofl:

when i bought the thing, it had 3XXXkms... it now has 3XXXkms... i dont think i even have a trip odo?

its purely an inner city person mover. just so much easier to navigate tight streets with cabbies parked int he middle of them, super simple to find parking... i fill it like... once a month

i miss trips out to the mountains :cry:

Mibz
04-03-2013, 10:31 AM
Honest question, are you making these comments because of all the "Beyond baller" jokes that a few of us crack? I think maybe you've got the impression that I'm actually a douche, haha. I know what your main account is (and I wonder why you're not using it right now) and I don't think we've had previous beef. It just seems out of character for you to be so insulting out of nowhere, so I'm wondering if maybe there's something else here. I also don't think it's like you to keep being a dick in situations like this, but maybe you think you can get away with it because you're on an alt. I don't know.

ercchry
04-03-2013, 10:31 AM
EDIT: ^^^ do tell... :love:

Your forgetting my grammar Nazi skills, shaka

YOU'RE

Graham_A_M
04-03-2013, 10:40 AM
It's not about the numbers, it's about knowing how much you've got and how far you can go... which means you know the numbers... but are too cool and baller to bother with them?

Now that you mention it, I totally have a math fetish. I remember when a girl quickly solved a complex equation in class once and my panties basically hit the floor, with my dick flopping out onto the desk.

Wow.... I just adore how you're so quick to judge and call someone dumb, It has abso-fucking-lutely nothing to do with being a baller, its just knowing how far you can go between fill ups, using what? simple math and knowing a proposed route. I dont understand why you over-analyze things to the extent you do, then say were foolish with our money for not having to do the same.

EDIT: Who is this "Toor" guy? whats his real account?

japan_us
04-03-2013, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M

I know of purely highway riding, that I can get about 300-330km's per tank if I dont ride like an idiot.

If I'm lucky, and relatively well behaved, I can MAYBE get 190kms of highway riding before my light comes on. Add another ~30kms worth of reserve and yeah, my range sucks.

toor
04-03-2013, 11:03 AM
There's a couple posts at the start that seem to imply that "gasoline expenditures are not of sufficient impact to my budget for me to bother knowing how far I can go on a tank of gas" which, combined with the technology in today's vehicles, is the kind of attitude that leads people to drive around with their automatic headlights "off", and is especially unnerving in a space that fancies itself a "car enthusiast forum". The way it was later explained makes perfect sense and you can see that I agreed with it. I'm still puzzled that someone can "not know their mileage" (and get hella defensive about it), but know how far they can go on a tank of gas?

Beyond that, trolls gonna troll, and math is awesome. New account so I can be an even bigger asshole without soiling my Good Name :)

Edit: I don't recall criticizing anyone's money management skills, just their attitude and intelligence.

ercchry
04-03-2013, 11:09 AM
let the record state:

i still dont give a shit about a $10 bike fill up once a month... since i fill my car or truck weekly at $70+

ercchry
04-03-2013, 11:25 AM
lets dive a little deeper into this though...

knowing your range:

good, dont want to get stranded.

knowing your consumption:

no care.

why? well, the only reason to track this is to know how MUCH gas you use, this is only useful if you are adjusting your driving style to use less. why use less? well, either you are a hippy, or you're poor/cheap.

why no care? well, we are talking bikes... bikes are recreational vehicles. they are built for fun, while having fun with motors. more gas used=more fun... oh, and also cause they ALL sip fuel compared to their 4 wheeled friends... :nut:

SkiBum5.0
04-03-2013, 11:31 AM
I usually have to get off the bike and stretch before a required fuel stop but typically I get between 6-8L/100km. Bad headwind yesterday led to terrible fuel mileage heading west

Good to see so many riders out yesterday - extra points to the tiny lady riding the CBR1000 turning into Elbow Valley

toor
04-03-2013, 12:15 PM
well, the only reason to track this is to know how MUCH gas you use, this is only useful if you are adjusting your driving style to use less. why use less? well, either you are a hippy, or you're poor/cheap.

I already agreed with your scenario and I'm sure you can see that range is just a function of mileage, but let's delve deeper, by all means: Let's say you fill up in Cochrane, do a solid rip out the 1A and bomb down highway 40 to Highwood pass without a Canmore detour for gas, planning instead to top up with MysteryGas(tm) at the pump n dump along the way. You get there and they only have regular. She needs premium, dude...

http://p.twimg.com/A359ml8CcAAamdf.jpg

So now what? Topping up with regular probably won't hurt the bike, with its fancy EFI and such, but you can totally make it to Longview as the whole ride is just over 200km... So you hit the road and you're buzzing along nicely when you notice the trip odo hit 180km. You start getting nervous, because you're more than the 30km out that your current riding style will allow. So you ease off, squeeze 216km out of the tank and roll into the Longview Esso on fumes because you know your bike and don't like walking.

tl;dr My reserve can get me 50km or 15km

Basically, you need a bigger bike ;)

Boosted131
04-03-2013, 12:21 PM
It's nice to know your economy and what distances to expect when riding hard/easy. Not so much the cost, but knowing how far I can get from a tank for long trips (put 2k on mine already this winter). Might as well get 6L/100km instead of 20 when I can

ercchry
04-03-2013, 12:24 PM
i cant decide... i know you are one of the old farts... but i cant put my finger on exactly which one since your writing style isnt unique enough

Mibz
04-03-2013, 12:36 PM
Pretty sure he's only a year older than me, haha.

Ass.

EDIT: He did give a significant clue in a previous post

ercchry
04-03-2013, 12:40 PM
damn... now not sure... i was thinking 40+ crowd since he had a post mentioning smoking in the work place

shakalaka
04-03-2013, 12:48 PM
Lol. Too funny. Who else is a grammar nazi that's like a year older than Mibz, rides bikes and likes math?

RedlineMS
04-03-2013, 12:59 PM
I always reset my trip odometer when I fill up - it's my gas guage as I don't trust my gas light. I'm pretty sure the Japanese are still pissed about loosing WW2 and so they gremlin up the light so it doesn't always work the way it's supposed to. I feel kinda stupid when I run out of gas so I try to avoid it. I also avoid filling up at nasty gas stations with dirty washrooms as I have an aversion to germs. Crazy eh?

toor
04-03-2013, 03:09 PM
So not only am I not unique enough for you, but you're calling me OLD? WTF :P I don't care if members and the NSA knows who I was/am, I'm just trying to distance myself from certain Google results and this is the only way it can be accomplished here. I'm making efforts to change up my style but I'm sure someone will figure it out eventually, or you could ask someone/me over a beer.

Graham_A_M
04-03-2013, 05:01 PM
^ I dont think too many people will be asking you out for beers given your posts in this thread.

Perhaps you're a great guy in person, but you sure come off a lot differently in this thread at least. :nut:

ercchry
04-03-2013, 05:25 PM
i'd laugh if it turned out to be unknown or cos :rofl:

or the greatest irony... mar (cause of the boner for math)

roll_over
04-03-2013, 05:42 PM
2.8l/100 km

Graham_A_M
04-03-2013, 05:48 PM
i'd laugh if it turned out to be unknown or cos :rofl:

or the greatest irony... mar (cause of the boner for math)
No I've met the first two, quite recently actually, it wouldn't be either of them. Mar would be the best chance, but IIRC, he doesn't have a bike.

It would likely be someone thats easily traceable in real life.
I'd wager a guess and say "Rony_Espenza" or whatever it is, but I've met him as well, and Im quite sure that wouldn't be him.

Fuck I wish Mibz would just say it.:banghead:

The only other easily traceable person would be me, since my user name is Graham_A_M, which is short for Graham Austin M.

Mibz
04-03-2013, 07:25 PM
Lewl

I highly doubt anybody will figure it out, and if he wants to be outed then he'll tell you himself. The only reason I brought it up was to try and figure out if he was being personal or not and he answered that question for me.

shakalaka
04-03-2013, 07:52 PM
It's my dark passenger unfortunately, hi...my name is Dexter.

Graham_A_M
04-03-2013, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by Mibz
Lewl

I highly doubt anybody will figure it out, and if he wants to be outed then he'll tell you himself. The only reason I brought it up was to try and figure out if he was being personal or not and he answered that question for me.
:rofl: Dude, whats keeping you from just spilling the beans already? seriously? Of what cost is it to you?

ercchry
04-04-2013, 08:52 AM
okay, its A970...

...but i think he is younger than mibz.. so... maaaybe... would make sense since his other account is now business related

Mibz
04-04-2013, 09:26 AM
This is fun

codetrap
04-04-2013, 08:09 PM
FJR1300

Disoblige
04-04-2013, 08:18 PM
What I gained today: Mibz is not an old fart (apparently).

Graham_A_M
04-04-2013, 09:38 PM
okay, its A970...

...but i think he is younger than mibz.. so... maaaybe... would make sense since his other account is now business related
No, Cam doesn't have a bike, and even if he did, he sure as hell is a lot more classy then to post that kind of garbage.
Hes a damn good guy in person, the kind you can trust with the keys to your house, while on vacation. I can never see him stooping so low as to pull this kind of shit. Id be willing to bet money its not him.

ercchry
04-04-2013, 09:40 PM
:rofl:

im just fishing for responses from these guys!

...cam use to have a bike though ;)

Mibz
04-04-2013, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by Disoblige
What I gained today: Mibz is not an old fart (apparently). Haven't we met? Twice? Did I look over 30 (which is the bar for "old as fuck") to you?

ercchry
04-04-2013, 10:32 PM
having a hard time dealing with turning 29 this year? :rofl:

Disoblige
04-04-2013, 10:33 PM
^^ LOL

Just jokin around Mibz.

On a sidenote, I'm bringing my bike out of storage tomorrow yay. At ~$17 a fill, I don't care about mileage on something that is considered a toy. Plus if you go to those Cycle Work events where they give out free gas, that's already money saved :P