PDA

View Full Version : Amaluna - Cirque du Soleil Calgary

jampack
04-03-2013, 02:57 PM
Cirque du Soleil is back again. I actually haven't seen them since Corteo (back in 2007?). Wondering who here are going? :)

Mixalot27
04-03-2013, 03:12 PM
I'm a big fan of Cirque du Soleil shows. However I find the tent that they use provides very uncomfortable seating and poor viewing experience. You are way too tight to the person beside you. Also the rows aren't vertically staggered enough, so if you aren't that tall and have a tall person in front of you, it's often hard to see. The shows I have seen in actual theaters in Vegas are a far superior viewing experience.

JC522
04-03-2013, 04:54 PM
Got my tickets last month, really excited about it. I've never been to a cirque show in Calgary. Closest I got was Cavalia which I didn't enjoy all that much

J@Tuner
04-03-2013, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by Mixalot27
I'm a big fan of Cirque du Soleil shows. However I find the tent that they use provides very uncomfortable seating and poor viewing experience. You are way too tight to the person beside you. Also the rows aren't vertically staggered enough, so if you aren't that tall and have a tall person in front of you, it's often hard to see. The shows I have seen in actual theaters in Vegas are a far superior viewing experience.

+1 but will go to this anyways :)

Ichigo
04-03-2013, 05:17 PM
Is there a dress code for this kind of stuff?

SIC1
04-03-2013, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by Ichigo
Is there a dress code for this kind of stuff?
Nope.

personally have been to 12 different performances with 6 in Las Vegas, 4 in Toronto, the one in Orlando and one in Boston and Ovo in Calgary last year and have tickets for next Wednesday. My Wife always preorders these with my CC as her Xmas/birthday/anniversary gift to herself.

EDIT:

The shows I have seen in actual theaters in Vegas are a far superior viewing experience.

+1 The Permanent shows are properly set up. 'O' and Ka are absolutely worth it. If you have never been to one and Las Vegas is a trip with the significant other, I highly recommend it.

jampack
04-03-2013, 09:38 PM

I would agree. I guess it's just a matter of booking it and choosing location of the seats although, seats vary with prices.

I can't wait to see Cirque again but not until May :D

Lex350
04-04-2013, 08:30 AM
Going to the show. Pre-booked a long time ago through their website. Yes, the Vegas shows are more comfortable but I'm not taking my kids to Vegas so this is a good opportunity for them to see a show like this.

cet
04-04-2013, 08:50 AM
I'm going as well - on the 14th which I guess is just over a week away.

Mitsu3000gt
04-04-2013, 10:20 AM
I've never been to a Cirque. How bad are the "Price level 2" seats? Will I still see the stage pretty good?

ajooo
04-04-2013, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
I've never been to a Cirque. How bad are the "Price level 2" seats? Will I still see the stage pretty good?

in my opinion any seats in the cirque tent are pretty decent, unless you're behind one of the lighting poles.

vtec4life
04-04-2013, 11:24 AM
Just bought a few tickets for May 14th, Happy Mothers Day Mom!!!

GOnSHO
04-04-2013, 11:32 AM
i have tickets for May 1st.. so stoked!

austic
04-04-2013, 12:47 PM
April 18th, I go to all of these the GF really likes them

icky2unk
04-04-2013, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by GOnSHO
i have tickets for May 1st.. so stoked!

Work at pengrowth? Haha

Mitsu3000gt
04-10-2013, 09:36 AM
Can anyone tell me what the seating is like? Is it benches? I am trying to buy tickets but when I select 2 tickets, it says "seats may not be grouped together". Is it first come first serve or assigned?

I'm trying to get 2 seats on Saturday April 20.

Thanks!

BigDL
04-10-2013, 09:41 AM
Can anyone tell me what the seating is like? Is it benches? I am trying to buy tickets but when I select 2 tickets, it says "seats may not be grouped together". Is it first come first serve or assigned?

Thanks!

They are assigned seating. It might be possible that there is only single tickets left and none next to each other.

Mitsu3000gt
04-10-2013, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by BigDL

They are assigned seating. It might be possible that there is only single tickets left and none next to each other.

Damnit. Yeah I think that is what is going on.

Maybe I will make a WTB thread instead haha.

403ep3
04-10-2013, 12:13 PM
I have always wondered how these were compared to the permanent ones in vegas. Would see how they are but going to vegas soon so I might as well save my money for those;)

SIC1
04-13-2013, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by 403ep3
I have always wondered how these were compared to the permanent ones in vegas. Would see how they are but going to vegas soon so I might as well save my money for those;)

The Productions in LV are quite spectacular, as with anything in Sin city.
If you haven't seen a Cirque Show, then the "Blue and yellow big top" traveling performances will wet your appetite. Any seat in the house is usually great for the touring unless you get a very side or behind a pole.

We always try and order aisle seats so I can stretch my legs out and it's easier to get in and out if the bathroom calls.

In regards to permanent shows in LV, Florida etc are a lot more involved - theatrics and performances. With several of the resorts having exclusivity rights to the production, you won't see them in any other cities unlike the touring ones that do stints through N. America, Asia and Europe.

If you're planning on going to LV "O" was my personal favourite. fi you have don't have a set schedule, Go on Craigslist and scoop cheap tickets the day before, or the day of the performance. ( **For peace of mind is to go with the seller and meet at the box office to confirm the tickets are Authentic.) Ive picked up last min tickets tapis rouge for 50-75% off retail just perusing CL. Also good for other attractions in LV as well.

Myrrinda
04-16-2013, 11:25 AM
I took my mom to Amaluna on Sunday. It was pretty incredible. I've only seen KA and Le Reve (not a Cirque show, but similar), and this was on par with Le Reve for me. A couple of the characters were annoying, but they're just fillers during scene changes, so I got over it as soon as the next scene started. I would actually go see it again just for the unicyclists.

Zewind
04-16-2013, 01:04 PM
This was my first show by Cirque du Soleil, I found it very entertaining.

I recommend it for all ages. :thumbsup:

C_Dave45
05-09-2013, 07:29 AM

Thanks!

In case you haven't gotten seats yet, here's some info:

Almost not a bad seat in the house. I got two seats side-by-side right on the first row. Literally I could touch the stage. The best seats would be around 3 rows back, but being able to stretch my legs out was good. Very tight seating. It was impossible to find two good seats together on a weekend, so we went mid-week. But it looked like a sold out show last night. But even being on Tier 2 would be a great view. It's not like a "balcony"..You don't even realize there are two tiers. If you're looking to save money, don't be afraid to get those top seats. Our seats cost me $300.

Onto the performance;

I was fucking BLOWN AWAY!!!! I didn't have high expectations, being to a few Cirque shows in Vegas at a full theatre, and this being in temporary tents...but I was amazed at the facilities. I was expecting stupid long line ups, not being able to get to the cans, etc. But everything was fast and smooth. Debit/Credit card machines at every kiosk. Booze kiosks, souvenirs, etc.
Even going out for a smoke (bowl haha :devil: ) was quick an easy.

The show was just indescribable. There was one act, that once I knew what she was going to do...I kept telling myself "there's no way in hell she can do that..." Amazing!!

The bodies on these performers are amazing. The show almost has an "L-word" feel to it. Read the story line before you go, it will help you appreciate the "play" better.

Totally worth every penny. Way better than I expected.

http://www.cirquedusoleil.com/en/shows/amaluna/default.aspx

LdF4B_nkh64

Vagabond142
05-09-2013, 08:21 AM
C_Dave: was the "she can't POSSIBLY do that?!?" part the first act after the intermission? I ask because I was wondering what she was doing for the first half, my jaw hanging slack the second half of that performance. I know it's pure physics, but DAMN....

As to the show itself: I've seen Alegria and Quidam in the tent. In terms of performance, I think this show was better than Alegria, but the story wasn't quite up there with Quidam. Then again, Quidam has a very involved, very accessible story to the audience, and is in my opinion the best storyline Cirque has.

Then again, *any* Cirque du Soleil show is worth seeing. Even if it was just performers prancing about and doing amazing things with no story, it'd be worth the admission price. There were two acts that really blew my mind completely out of my skull.

C_Dave45
05-09-2013, 08:49 AM
That's the one!!! I just kept saying "..no way.." Lol. Course the "bowl" at intermission helped. ;)

benyl
05-09-2013, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by C_Dave45
[B]
I got two seats side-by-side right on the first row. Literally I could touch the stage. The best seats would be around 3 rows back, but being able to stretch my legs out was good.

Damn, I guess we will be too close? Did you have to crank your neck?

C_Dave45
05-09-2013, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by benyl

Damn, I guess we will be too close? Did you have to crank your neck?
No it's not that bad at all. The cool part is having the performers RIGHT THERE!! They often jump off stage and some audience interaction. The lizzard man is awesome!!!! Get seated at least 10 minutes before the show starts...

BananaFob
05-09-2013, 10:29 AM
Hrm... maybe it's just me, but I actually thought Amaluna was the worst one I've seen. I actually fell asleep during the tight rope act, no exaggeration. I liked Kooza from a couple years ago and this one was much, much worse.

anarchy
05-09-2013, 10:55 AM
Went last night - I think it's the 5th Cirque show I've been to in Calgary. It was amazing as always. As C_Dave45 said, the execution is so polished. Line-ups are fast, washrooms are easy to access, just a really smooth experience. The show itself was amazing.

The first few acts were great, I found myself getting bored near the end of the first half (the uneven bar girls were pretty bland and the random screaming was annoying), plus the clowns weren't very funny (I forget which show it was but the clowns were hilarious).

The second half was incredible though - every act was mind blowing and the clowns were actually funnier. Hats off to stick girl, that was unbelievable lol, whether you had a 'bowl' or not lol.

Overall, a great experience. Highly recommend it for those looking for a fun night out.

Vagabond142
05-09-2013, 11:14 AM
I found the "clowns" to be the worst part of the show.... especially the whole "birth" scene... got a huge "WTF?!?!?" out of me, and my brother even commented "that was probably the most disturbing thing I've seen at a Cirque show"

The clowns during Quidam were amazing, as they are central to the story and HAVE to be good, instead of rest break for performers.

Lex350
05-09-2013, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by BananaFob
Hrm... maybe it's just me, but I actually thought Amaluna was the worst one I've seen. I actually fell asleep during the tight rope act, no exaggeration. I liked Kooza from a couple years ago and this one was much, much worse.

I agree....I enjoyed the show but not the best one I've seen even in Calgary. I like OVO much better. The water show "O" in Vegas is my all time favorite.

But as others have stated, what that one girl was doing with her body was worth the price of adminssion! :drool: :drool:

GOnSHO
05-09-2013, 12:35 PM
i REALLY enjoyed it, so did the girl i brought! i cant wait to see another one! :D

that bendy girl... :drool: /thread HAH!

HyperZell
05-09-2013, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by BananaFob

Yeah, this was my fifth Cirque show, and while I enjoyed it, it was the worst one I've seen. The acts weren't all that exciting, and it was worsened by all the mistakes.

This is pretty atypical of a Cirque show, but this one Asian bolo performer kept dropping her prop, and only made it to the third guy when she was hopping across their feet on her stomach. The girl who was balancing on the water bowl slipped off, and in the uneven bars one girl completely missed her grab and pancaked on the mat...twice!

The balancing goddess was pretty amazing though, and I really enjoyed the unicyclists (although a friend said that in the performance she went to, one fell off). The live music was excellent, but then the clowns were completely unfunny. Really a mixed bag...still glad I went, but I'm looking past it already.

Vagabond142
05-09-2013, 10:22 PM
Still the best Cirque show that I have seen, imho. Amaluna is good, but nothing to date has beaten Quidam:

BDnG83PW3OM

For those that like handbalancing, go to 46 minutes.... ;)

And for absolute, unabashed strength, 1 hour 4 minutes.