PDA

View Full Version : Roger Ebert dead at 70

D'z Nutz
04-04-2013, 02:01 PM
Giving that a two thumbs down :thumbsdow :thumbsdow

http://news.yahoo.com/sun-times-famed-movie-critic-roger-ebert-dies-194432507.html

CHICAGO (AP) — Roger Ebert, the most famous and most popular film reviewer of his time who become the first journalist to win a Pulitzer Prize for movie criticism and, on his long-running TV program, wielded the nation's most influential thumb, died Thursday, the Chicago Sun-Times reported. He was 70.

Ebert had been a film critic for the Chicago Sun-Times since 1967. He had announced on his blog Wednesday that he was undergoing radiation treatment after a recurrence of cancer.

Sucks that he announced he was stepping back from his movie reviewing duties just a day ago.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2013-04-03/entertainment/chi-roger-ebert-leave-20130402_1_roger-ebert-rogerebert-com-sun-times-colleague-richard-roeper

Roger Ebert cuts film review workload after cancer returns
April 03, 2013|By Mark Caro | Chicago Tribune reporter

Roger Ebert announced late Tuesday night that he is stepping back from some duties as the Chicago Sun-Times' film critic after a recurrence of cancer.

Calling the move a “leave of presence,” Ebert wrote on his online journal: “The ‘painful fracture’ that made it difficult for me to walk has recently been revealed to be a cancer. It is being treated with radiation, which has made it impossible for me to attend as many movies as I used to.”

flipstah
04-04-2013, 02:16 PM
:( :( :thumbsdow :thumbsdow

eglove
04-04-2013, 02:53 PM
:thumbsdow :thumbsdow RIP

GS430
04-04-2013, 03:11 PM
I was shocked to see this, I was just looking him up the other day. Pretty amazing story with his fight with cancer.

:thumbsdow :thumbsdow RIP to a legend.

theken
04-04-2013, 03:43 PM
RIP

Inzane
04-04-2013, 03:54 PM
Very sad to hear, but not unexpected.

I was extremely disappointed when he first went off the air from his TV show several years back due to his illness. I always hoped he'd recover enough to come back.

After his co-host (forgot his name) then retired from the show shortly after, it quickly bombed into oblivion with the attempted replacements. :thumbsdow

RIP Roger. I didn't always agree with some of your reviews, but there was always respect! :thumbsup:

Xtrema
04-04-2013, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by Inzane
Very sad to hear, but not unexpected.

I was extremely disappointed when he first went off the air from his TV show several years back due to his illness. I always hoped he'd recover enough to come back.

After his co-host (forgot his name) then retired from the show shortly after, it quickly bombed into oblivion with the attempted replacements. :thumbsdow

RIP Roger. I didn't always agree with some of your reviews, but there was always respect! :thumbsup:

I think the format of the show past its prime anyway. Online presence is much more effective.

RIP

Feruk
04-05-2013, 01:00 PM
After his co-host (forgot his name)
Gene Siskel or something like that. I remember the TV commercials saying "Siskel and Ebert give it two thumbs up" when I was a kid. He died a while back.

Tik-Tok
04-05-2013, 01:19 PM

He didn't retire, he died, which is why they got replacements until "Siskel and Roper"

JordanEG6
04-05-2013, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by Feruk

Gene Siskel or something like that. I remember the TV commercials saying "Siskel and Ebert give it two thumbs up" when I was a kid. He died a while back.

I was going to mention this. That was a classic line to all the movies I watched as a kid. Especially anything from Disney.

RIP

Inzane
04-05-2013, 03:59 PM
Guys I wasn't referring to Gene Siskel and I'm well aware he passed away, quite a long time ago.

Richard Roeper was the name I was trying to remember. He was Ebert's most recent co-host who carried on the show after Ebert's had to step down a few years back. While the show was Roeper + guest of the week, it was "ok" depending on the quality of said guest (some were brutal). My wife & I continued to watch it religiously for those last couple years. But once Roeper decided he himself was going to retire from the show, it really took a nose dive after that. The producers tried all kinds of things with different reviewers and changing up the format of the show and it just STUNK. It got to be unwatchable for us. :(

D'z Nutz
04-05-2013, 05:39 PM
These guys have been arguing about movies before the internet.

BxD42FSRjXA