PDA

View Full Version : Tax / Write off question

nonofyobiz
04-04-2013, 06:28 PM
Hopefully there is an accountant on here ;)

What happens if I want to write off an eligible expense, but the person I paid is most likely not claiming it as income. The only proof of payment I have are the cheques written.
I don't want to possibly get this other person in sh1t for unclaimed income.

It'll probably get me back around $250 if I can write it off. It's not the end of the world if I can't, but $250 is $250!!!:thumbsup:

leftwing
04-04-2013, 06:33 PM
Not an accountant, but my logic says it'll be fine unless you get audited and they look into that claim and see if he claimed it.

nonofyobiz
04-05-2013, 05:43 AM
Ya that was petty much my line of thinking, but even if I got audited, and they weren't satisfied with just seeing the cheques and an explanation of the cost, what is the chance they would even look into this other person?

nitram
04-05-2013, 04:52 PM
Not an accountant, but from what I understand, if they audit you, you'll have to present the documents. If you don't present it, you have to pay the refund back and it'll end at that. If you do present it, you keep your refund and they most likely would follow up with other person as to why it wasn't claimed as income.

Books have to balance so if you're claiming payment, someone else has to claim income.