PDA

View Full Version : Low Carb restaurants.

Maxt
04-04-2013, 07:16 PM
Looking for good low carb food places to eat in Calgary area.
I am starting to get sick of the light salad style of meals. Haven't found anywhere that will just give me steak without everything else, thus wasting food and money.
One of the reasons the low carb diet works, is because there is F'all to eat if you stick to it, it seems...:nut:

ercchry
04-04-2013, 07:25 PM
http://www.tmdish.com/

steak is a silly amount of calories btw...

Disoblige
04-04-2013, 07:34 PM
Low carb and restaurants usually don't mix well haha.

Maxt
04-04-2013, 07:44 PM
Yeah true..^ I am just mainly trying to cut out the usual starchy suspects and restaurants love to fill you up with the cheapest foods(pastas,breads, potatoes,rice).

ercchry
04-04-2013, 07:47 PM
really? most restaurants give you a choice of sides. even the keg lets you do mixed greens instead of potatoes

taemo
04-04-2013, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by Maxt
Yeah true..^ I am just mainly trying to cut out the usual starchy suspects and restaurants love to fill you up with the cheapest foods(pastas,breads, potatoes,rice).

when I go for steak/ribs at any restaurant, I ask for vegetables only as side instead of potatoes or bread

max_boost
04-04-2013, 10:12 PM
Yea just substitute salad for rice or potatoes. Get your veggies, protein (fish/beef/chicken etc) and drink water lol might take a bit of adjustment as carbs give you that full feeling. And also play more hockey dude haha

mo_money2supe
04-04-2013, 11:56 PM
You could always go for those order your meal and have access to the buffet bar type restaurants. Smugglers has basically exactly what you're looking for: you get nothing but a steak on a plain white plate - you don't have to entertain their buffet bar if you don't want to. Gaucho's or Bolero are also good ones where you can just eat the meat they bring you and not ever visit the buffet bar. Of course, my bowels always hate it whenever I indulge in nothing but a protein diet.

black13
04-05-2013, 01:09 AM
I've noticed alot of restaurants offer some kind of healthy option now with even a calorie count in some. Boston Pizza has their chicken salad.

And if not I always mix and match stuff to my liking. Never had a problem with anyone refusing. Does feel weird though when the GF is ordering steak and I'm ordering a salad :nut: but I stopped giving a shit now that I got some muscle to show.

I do have about one take out cheat meal a week though. Just to get rid of cravings and home made food can get boring if you don't switch it up every so often. But it's nothing crazy, usually Japanese or Thai food which has rice or noodles.

Maxt
04-05-2013, 06:02 AM
This is my hockey mod, I am going to try to drop 15-20 and see if I get faster on the skates. With my work being as physical as it is, I need to eat to maintain energy..
Its just that greens is getting so boring.. Be nice if I could get something like a couple of pork chops, some kind of egg,tofu,olive,cheese side dish.
Smugglers isnt a bad idea.. So hard to eat healthy, yet fast... Might have to go do some kind of Yakiniku..I had Koryo Korean BBQ at North hill the other day, and got sick from it. :barf: ....

hurrdurr
04-05-2013, 09:54 AM
Edo

Ask them not to cook with the teriyaki sauce, veggies only. a little soy sauce, hot sauce. done.

most soy sauce has 1g/carb per tbspn.

It's not as bad as it sounds, and it's a fast easy meal.

Subway Salads are easy. You can get pretty much any fast food burger with no bun (not recommending this as it's terrible for you).

Hot wings if they're not breaded. However they are deep friend and full of sodium.

I think BPs bakes their wings (but they taste terrible IMO)

Lots of ways to not eat carbs when eating out.

Steak w/ Mixed Veggies and/or Asparagus.

Lots of people with low carb normally up their sodium intake (unintentionally) so drink lots of water and stay active.

Maxt
04-07-2013, 10:16 AM
Managed to eat zero carb yesterday at Swiss Chalet, skinless chicken and black coffee.. Low calorie to.

ricosuave
04-07-2013, 12:26 PM
Just ask the server to replace (carb) with (vegetable) and most will do so

you have to speak up and ask, my wife usually is too shy to do so LOL

but ive found that most places will accomodate

Maxt
04-13-2013, 06:31 AM
Some vegetables have higher carb levels, so just substituting vegetables doesn't work that well. For instance I went to Phils and they held the pancakes on the steak and eggs and gave me a pile of carrots and sliced yam. Both are high carb vegetables.. I am looking for Restaurants that know the difference, which seem to be few and far between.
Besides Swiss Chalet, the only low carb friendly meal I have found was at my friends restaurant called Cerezo. He makes a number of menu items for people he knows with diabetes, and knows how to hold back the carbs. Had a good sugar free soup and beef/lettuce/meatsuace wrap there.
But so many places think serving potatoes , corn and carrots is low carb friendly.:nut: ..

bigbadboss101
04-13-2013, 06:47 AM
Carb from veggie should be fine? It's the refined starchy food and gluten that does the damage.
Most place you would have to ask them to hold/substitute the sauce.

Maxt
04-13-2013, 07:29 AM
No, some vegetables are really starchy as well.. I was a big fan of corn, peas and potatoes and ate some with almost every meal.. Just not eating those has made a big difference in my waistline.

CompletelyNumb
04-13-2013, 09:02 AM
High GI carbs will still be worse for you than those from vegetables. That said, I have yet to see a real restaurant deny me when I've asked for substitutions. I don't expect them to know what veg are good, I ask them specifically to swap things out for broccoli/asparagus/etc.

A790
04-13-2013, 06:57 PM
No, some vegetables are really starchy as well.. I was a big fan of corn, peas and potatoes and ate some with almost every meal.. Just not eating those has made a big difference in my waistline.
Peas are not nearly as bad for you as the other two lol.

Maxt
04-21-2013, 08:26 AM
Spolumbos has sausages that are no/low carb, a nice change from regular cut meat.

http://www.spolumbos.com/Sausages/Nutrition.asp

Some restaurants serve Spolumbos' so I just have to remember which ones are diet friendly.

I am finding the majority of restaurants won't substitute without charging extra, I give up the hashbrowns, toast, fries, pancakes etc, they throw a few veggies on the plate and charge anywhere from 3 to 9 bucks extra.. Easy way to turn a 12 dollar menu item into a 20 dollar meal. :thumbsdow
Eating better definitely does cost a lot more money overall...

bigbadboss101
04-21-2013, 09:35 AM
Asian wives cook nice meals. Cheaper than eating out :-)

Maxt
04-21-2013, 11:06 AM
Sometimes asian wives get tired and want to eat out. . :).

Abbott
04-22-2013, 04:21 AM
Some vegetables have higher carbs levels, so just replacing vegetables does not work that well, For instance I went to Phils and they held the hotcakes on the meal and egg and provided me a heap of green beans and chopped, Both are high carbs vegetables....

Lex350
04-22-2013, 07:20 AM
It's not just carbs you need to look at. Pick your foods based on their glycemic index rating. The lower the rating the better in terms of keeping your blood sugar down. So min these terms there are ok veggies and then there are better veggies to choose from.

http://www.health.harvard.edu/newsweek/Glycemic_index_and_glycemic_load_for_100_foods.htm

trollolhah
04-22-2013, 08:39 AM
You doing Paleo or Keto diet, high fat, med protein, low carb?

Maxt
04-22-2013, 12:22 PM
I am not really following any diet verbatim, I just cut out the starches, refined sugars and wheat. I am eating whatever else I feel like though. Weighed in this morning down 10 lbs and feel much better.

Tik-Tok
04-22-2013, 01:08 PM
I am looking for Restaurants that know the difference, which seem to be few and far between.

You seem to be expecting far too much from a restaurant. Don't just ask for "veggies" instead of potato's, tell them specifically "Can I please have a salad with no croutons" or "Can I please have carrots".

Just assuming the server or kitchen staff know all about different diets is pretty ludicrous. It's like expecting a car salesman to know... well... anything mechanical about a car they're selling :rofl:

hurrdurr
04-22-2013, 03:53 PM
I don't know why you have so much difficulty ordering at restaurants.

I eat out 2-3 times a week and always substitute starch for seasonal vegetables, asparagus or salad (sans croutons)

I hate to be that guy to have to customize an order, but I still want to be able to be social so it is what it is.

Maxt
04-22-2013, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

You seem to be expecting far too much from a restaurant. Don't just ask for "veggies" instead of potato's, tell them specifically "Can I please have a salad with no croutons" or "Can I please have carrots".

Just assuming the server or kitchen staff know all about different diets is pretty ludicrous. It's like expecting a car salesman to know... well... anything mechanical about a car they're selling :rofl:
Starting off again, the point of this thread was to see if people knew of places that knew what the food served consisted of.
Thats why I also posted that just substituting doesn't work well either, no matter how specific I get...
Take today for example, I order the steak sandwich(listed as steak with fried onions and mushrooms,fries, garlic bread, side salad and specifically tell the waitress I want no breads,no potatoes or onions, and a plain side salad with caeser dressing(since usually caeser dressing is no carb), and any extra greens I can have to fill the plate up. So out comes the steak with mushrooms, a side salad with 2 cups of croutons poured over it and little cup of dressing and a salad with 4 or 5 big onion slices set beside it. Besides going into their kitchen and fucking cooking it myself, I don't know how much more specific I can get.
So basically I am after places that know what they are serving, and realize the difference, so far the edge goes to chains because most publish the nutritional make up and the servers get to know what a meal consists of.
But I asked the question because I thought some people on here might know a place where they know the difference and I don't have to follow the chef from the fridge to the grill.

rx7_turbo2
04-22-2013, 05:26 PM

Starting off again, the point of this thread was to see if people knew of places that knew what the food served consisted of.
Thats why I also posted that just substituting doesn't work well either, no matter how specific I get...
Take today for example, I order the steak sandwich(listed as steak with fried onions and mushrooms,fries, garlic bread, side salad and specifically tell the waitress I want no breads,no potatoes or onions, and a plain side salad with caeser dressing(since usually caeser dressing is no carb), and any extra greens I can have to fill the plate up. So out comes the steak with mushrooms, a side salad with 2 cups of croutons poured over it and little cup of dressing and a salad with 4 or 5 big onion slices set beside it. Besides going into their kitchen and fucking cooking it myself, I don't know how much more specific I can get.
So basically I am after places that know what they are serving, and realize the difference, so far the edge goes to chains because most publish the nutritional make up and the servers get to know what a meal consists of.
But I asked the question because I thought some people on here might know a place where they know the difference and I don't have to follow the chef from the fridge to the grill.

Back when I was avoiding gluten like the plague the "no crouton thing" was an ongoing battle. I bet I was in the neighborhood of about 25% success rate. More often than not the salad arrived with croutons. Mostly I found places accommodated my requests but croutons always slid under the radar it seemed.