PDA

View Full Version : Rogers Cancellation Fees - Anyone know how much?

BokCh0y
04-05-2013, 04:57 PM
I currently have 3 BB plans with Rogers at the moment, I am about 2 months away from my contracts expiring, I'll be returning to the devil i know - Telus.

Does anyone know what the best way to go abouts doing this without incurring stupid cancellation costs?

I'm going to be porting the numbers over btw. I was planning on doing this in May sometime, that way I only have like 1 month remaining on each of the 3 contracts. My understanding is Rogers will charge me something like $20/month remaining on Voice and $25/month remaining on data plus $100 for early termination costs. So I could be in the hole for $145 minimum per device. Looking to find out if anyone knows the exact costs or if it is better for me to wait till June when my contact expires. If I wait till the expiration date in June, I will be month to month. So will I still have to pay the cancellation fee of $100 per device? I assume since it's month to month I won't have the fees for voice/data per month to pay.

Advice please ont eh best way to do this.

Thanks.

EK69
04-05-2013, 05:13 PM
I think the old cancellation policy was this:

Voice: $20/month, to a max of $400
Data: $5/month to a max of $100
AFAIK there is no other early $100 fee for cancelling..
so it should be $50 per line, not $145 (2months *20 + 2months *5)

the new cancellation fee is just 12.50 plus ( the subsidized amount /36 ) * number of months remaining.

im guessing you fall under the old cancellation policy (since ur 3 months away from the contract expiring, assuming it was a 3 year contract)

after you do port rogers will tell you they will charge you for 1 month of service since a 30 day notice is required. Ironically they will still charge u for 1 month of service anyways even if you provide the notice. So follow this to get your monies back

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/merged-do-not-pay-rogers-fidos-30-days-services-when-porting-number-1000126/

why are you cancelling and going to telus?
Odds are Rogers will give you retentions offers to try and keep you, which will be better prices than new customer plans with telus (unless you have access to better corporate plans or something)

eblend
04-05-2013, 06:02 PM
EK69 is right on the money on everything, went through this a while ago. Keep in mind that you may think they didn't charge you the extra 30 days...but you always pay for the month in advance (plus whatever extra you incurred outside of your plan for the current month), so if your deadline is March 1st for example and you paid on March 1st, and then canceled on march 2nd, your bill will come and you will see that they will only charge you for the cancelation fees of the plans....and no extra 30 days stuff....that's because your March 1st payment was actually from March 2nd to April 1st...even though you canceled on March 2nd. Do the crtc complaint and you will get your refund, which would be the bulk of your march 1st payment if you didn't have any extra charges for that month.

Hope that made some sense

BokCh0y
04-06-2013, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by EK69
I think the old cancellation policy was this:

Voice: $20/month, to a max of $400
Data: $5/month to a max of $100
AFAIK there is no other early $100 fee for cancelling..
so it should be $50 per line, not $145 (2months *20 + 2months *5)

the new cancellation fee is just 12.50 plus ( the subsidized amount /36 ) * number of months remaining.

im guessing you fall under the old cancellation policy (since ur 3 months away from the contract expiring, assuming it was a 3 year contract)

after you do port rogers will tell you they will charge you for 1 month of service since a 30 day notice is required. Ironically they will still charge u for 1 month of service anyways even if you provide the notice. So follow this to get your monies back

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/merged-do-not-pay-rogers-fidos-30-days-services-when-porting-number-1000126/

why are you cancelling and going to telus?
Odds are Rogers will give you retentions offers to try and keep you, which will be better prices than new customer plans with telus (unless you have access to better corporate plans or something)

Cool thanks.

When I called rogers with intent to cancel, they said there's a $100 cancellation fee no matter what + month remaining on voice and data, that's why I mentioned that additional cost. i'll call again and verify.

As for moving Rogers to Telus...I left Telus after 10 years, they sucked balls. Customer service, coverage, you name it. Rogers was the best when I went over about 4 years ago....but no they're more and more like the old Telus. Telus from what I've experienced, still sucks balls, but the customer service has improved, wait times are lower and much better coverage now. Also now they use a sim card, so I can toss the card into whatever phone I want kinda deal.

BokCh0y
04-06-2013, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by eblend
EK69 is right on the money on everything, went through this a while ago. Keep in mind that you may think they didn't charge you the extra 30 days...but you always pay for the month in advance (plus whatever extra you incurred outside of your plan for the current month), so if your deadline is March 1st for example and you paid on March 1st, and then canceled on march 2nd, your bill will come and you will see that they will only charge you for the cancelation fees of the plans....and no extra 30 days stuff....that's because your March 1st payment was actually from March 2nd to April 1st...even though you canceled on March 2nd. Do the crtc complaint and you will get your refund, which would be the bulk of your march 1st payment if you didn't have any extra charges for that month.

Hope that made some sense

Thanks too Eblend, and yes it makes sense. I'll call and get my monies back too.:thumbsup:

pheoxs
04-07-2013, 12:12 PM
Why not just wait the one extra month until June and then cancel when your on month to month and avoid the cancellation fee?

black13
04-07-2013, 12:28 PM
Came to post exactly what EK69 said.

I did this back in January and switched to Mobilicity and despite having a year left on my contract (cancellation fee of $160, iPhone plan), I did the calculation and after only 4 months with mobilicity it would be worth the switch for the huge savings. But since yours is only till June, it might be worth it to just wait till then.

And I got the exact same bullshit 30 day notice charge. I didn't even give a notice but found it stupid how I was gonna get charged 30 days of service when I only used about 4 days of it and so I found that redflag thread and went through the same process. Filed the info at CCTS and got that charge back after a month. Was super easy to fill out that page. Kudos to CCTS.

BokCh0y
04-08-2013, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by black13
Came to post exactly what EK69 said.

I did this back in January and switched to Mobilicity and despite having a year left on my contract (cancellation fee of $160, iPhone plan), I did the calculation and after only 4 months with mobilicity it would be worth the switch for the huge savings. But since yours is only till June, it might be worth it to just wait till then.

And I got the exact same bullshit 30 day notice charge. I didn't even give a notice but found it stupid how I was gonna get charged 30 days of service when I only used about 4 days of it and so I found that redflag thread and went through the same process. Filed the info at CCTS and got that charge back after a month. Was super easy to fill out that page. Kudos to CCTS.

Thanks!!! Maybe i'll just ride it out a couple more months then.

So you're cancellation fee is just the months remaining for voice and data correct? No additional $100 for early cancellation? I keep hearing different things from different people...and that's when i call rogers haha.

NoMoreG35
04-08-2013, 09:18 AM
Why don't u just call 611 to find out? Instead of asking on beyond to get a ball park figure, u get the exact answer... :dunno:

toor
04-09-2013, 11:03 AM
FYI, getting your 30-day Rogers/Fido rape-charge back via CCTS no longer works. If you chargeback the CC, they'll just tack $25 onto it and bill you again. Call them 30 days before you port out, inform them that you are recording the conversation, get the rep's name/number and provide them with the 30 days notice required by your month-to-month contract. There's a good chance they'll fuck it up and set a pending cancellation on your account, which will block your port out. If you have evidence that you attempted to give them 30 days notice, then the CCTS can help you. Have fun and good luck!

HomespunLobster
04-09-2013, 11:12 AM
I cancelled rogers and all I had to do was buy out my Galaxy S3

eblend
04-09-2013, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by HomespunLobster
I cancelled rogers and all I had to do was buy out my Galaxy S3

This is the new cancelation policy, which came into affect in Jan of 2012 if I remember correctly. Doesn't apply to old contracts.

BokCh0y
04-09-2013, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by NoMoreG35
Why don't u just call 611 to find out? Instead of asking on beyond to get a ball park figure, u get the exact answer... :dunno:

Reading > You

Sorry i'm asking the beyonders for some real life experience and advice, in a forum....instead of talking to Rogers...again...and having their reps tell me something different everytime.

:facepalm:

Originally posted by BokCh0y

When I called rogers with intent to cancel, they said there's a $100 cancellation fee no matter what + month remaining on voice and data, that's why I mentioned that additional cost. i'll call again and verify.

....blah blah...

Originally posted by BokCh0y

blah blah.... I keep hearing different things from different people...and that's when i call rogers haha.

BokCh0y
04-09-2013, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by toor
FYI, getting your 30-day Rogers/Fido rape-charge back via CCTS no longer works. If you chargeback the CC, they'll just tack $25 onto it and bill you again. Call them 30 days before you port out, inform them that you are recording the conversation, get the rep's name/number and provide them with the 30 days notice required by your month-to-month contract. There's a good chance they'll fuck it up and set a pending cancellation on your account, which will block your port out. If you have evidence that you attempted to give them 30 days notice, then the CCTS can help you. Have fun and good luck!

Thanks for the advice, i will record the convo when i call them.

HomespunLobster
04-11-2013, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by eblend

This is the new cancelation policy, which came into affect in Jan of 2012 if I remember correctly. Doesn't apply to old contracts.
i still had 8 months on my old contract, signed anew contract, said fuck it after 2 months and cancelled. worked out golden.

BokCh0y
07-02-2013, 07:31 PM
BUMP.

So I cancelled the phones - 3 out of 4 of them May 28, my contract expiration date was June 2nd.

I received my Rogers bill today....I will scan these tomorrow and post them up.

Anyways, heads up for ALL of you...

Rogers does in fact charge $100 for early cancellation fees on voice, + an additional $25 early cancellation fee for the data portion. On top of that, they charge you the month remaining + the month remaining for partial charges up to the end of the month.

So....on my bill for this month, I have an additional $421.00 in cancellation and partial service charges - WTF!!!

I called Rogers and spoke with some cunt, they would not do anything. She kept changing the story on me about this and that but wouldn't budge on the charges, so now I am stuck with an additional $421.00 in early cancellation charges from Rogers.

I did try and explain that everything I've seen and was told was that I would only be responsible for the month(s) remaining on my contract for voice and data, she didn't give a fuck. Said because I choose not to speak with Rogers or Rogers retention that I am stuck with this full charge, and it's because I cancelled my contract 1 week before the end of the contract. I cancelled a week early because I was worried the assholes would somehow auto renew my contract, I have heard of it happening before.

Anyway....anything I can do about this to try and avoid paying the $421? I did ask the cunt on the phone if they would meet me half way. She said why would we credit you for leaving our service...haha. Cunt.

Big fuck you to Rogers!!!

eblend
07-02-2013, 08:00 PM
Other than what was mentioned before, best you could do is get back your last 30 days of service on each line by submitting a complaint to crtc.

Not going to lie, but canceling 1 week prior to contract expiring is pretty dumb. They can't auto renew without your consent, automatically goes on month to month. You should have called and said you want your service to end the date your contract is up.

Better yet, on the date your contract was up, go to Telus and port your number over. It is ported over within hours and they will automatically cancel your Rogers for you on the expiry date of your contract. At that point you got no extra fees, just their typical 30 days of service BS that you can easily get back.

Regardless, this is all irrelevant right now. Best you can do it submit a case with CRTC, tell them you were told one thing but another happened, and at some point a representative from the office of the president of Rogers will call you and try to negotiate a deal.

BokCh0y
07-02-2013, 08:22 PM
They autorenewed my contracts - all 4 of them before, I can't remember for what though. If I recall correctly, it was for a plan change, that's why the paranoia. I know I shoulda waited the week, but like I said...just didn't want them to screw me somehow. Guess in the end I got bent over anyway. Lesson learned though - don't go with Rogers. And the other reason I didn't wait it out was because I was under the impression that it would just be the month remaining and such, so I said fuck it.

In terms of giving them 30 days notice with intent to cancel/port and what not, I just didn't want to give them notice and have them screw up a number. Even when I did port everything out on May 28th, they did fuck up my sons number and it took a lot of back and forth with telus and rogers to get it completed properly.

Oh well....will try complaining to the CCTC then, get back whatever I can get back.

Has anyone that did an early cancellation get pinched with the $125 fee as well?

AE92_TreunoSC
07-02-2013, 08:46 PM
I'm going through this exact process right now. 14 months left 300$ cancel fee. Plus a month notice.

The best they could offer is 6 months of 50% off my service fees and no admin on a new phone.

I'm planning on going to telus anyway. Good to know I'm not the only one with the stupid huge fees.

Z_Fan
07-02-2013, 09:57 PM
I can't believe you cancelled your contracts 1 week before they ended.

:banghead:

SOAB
07-02-2013, 10:21 PM
you people know this when you sign the contract for the cheap phone and yet you bitch and complain about the early termination fees.

have we not learned anything from the Northstar Ford thread? read your contract. don't like it, don't sign it.

toor
07-03-2013, 02:21 AM
Wow, smooth. Even after multiple people told you exactly how to proceed, you went and did pretty much the exact opposite, and now you're surprised that Rogers is going for maximum gape? Hey, best of luck with that, hope your butthole returns to regular dimensions soon!