PDA

View Full Version : Utv Importing Into Canada Riv Process

2BLUE
04-06-2013, 01:36 AM
So today I called RIV about importing a side by side (2012 Polaris RZR)

The lady say yes it needs to go through RIV process etc.

I forgot a question to ask and called them back, getting a new person I asked again, the guy tells me NO RIV needed on side by sides.

Google searches seems to be a hit or miss!

Right on RIV website it states yes you do...

Keep seeing the same thing...

As for the importing fees, you only need to pay taxes (in AB just the GST) on the purchase price, you do NOT have to pay the $195 + taxes RIV. These fall under box 16b on Form 1. I received the following from RIV "The Registrar of Imported Vehicles does not have jurisdiction on side by side quads/UTV's. These types of vehicles are not required to enter our program or pass a federal inspection." So you do not need to get the Recall Clearance letter either

Section 9 - RESTRICTED-USE MOTORCYCLES

4 WHEELED ALL TERRAIN
VEHICLES (ATVs) Only units purchased in the United States.

Also, see Notes.

Units purchased in countries OTHER than the United States.

Vehicles manufactured before December 1, 2004, must have a Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) between 14 to 17 alphanumeric digits as required by CMVSS 115.
Vehicles manufactured after December 1, 2004, must bear a 17 digit alphanumeric VIN as required by CMVSS 115.

Alak
04-06-2013, 06:26 PM
When my old roomate imported his Polaris Sportsman 700 X2 he had to get an out of province inspection done at canadian tire. They made sure there was french and english labels and as far as I know thats it, but it was for the sake of paperwork. Im not sure why or how, but he said it was part of the import process if you are getting it plated and insured (which you need to, to use it on crown land).

If you are buying a polaris it's a fairly simple process as most dealers are co-operative and have most of the paperwork ahead of time. Huge savings to be had on ATV's cross border. Usually the markup is THOUSANDS.

2BLUE
04-07-2013, 01:24 AM
I have never heard of a out of province inspection for quads.

Supa Dexta
04-07-2013, 08:11 AM
But, You don't know a lot of things though^

If you got 2 answers call them back up and ask them for a final answer in writing, either to site a official source, or fax you paper work telling you one way or the other.

2BLUE
04-08-2013, 12:40 AM
This really is hit or miss, just picked up a 2013 Polaris Rzr, I get to the border (sweetgrass) paid taxes and done, No RIV, buddy of mine followed down but on the return he crossed at a different border crossing, Nailed with RIV and taxes. Which was a 2012 commander.

Its really hit or miss.

You would think after spending $18k, customs would know :dunno: