PDA

View Full Version : Mobile internet for laptop

sxtasy
04-06-2013, 11:47 AM
I'm doing a lot of travelling here (around bc) and am looking to get internet on my laptop in various places. I have never tried tethering to a phone and have never tried those usb sticks. I don't want to spend a fortune on it either. What do you guys recomend?

TYMSMNY
04-06-2013, 11:53 AM
I have mobile broadband unit on my laptop (basically taking the sim card out of the rocket stick and inserting it into the laptop). Long term option.

If you're just doing it while in BC, just tether it to your phone. It's not long distance and/or roaming on data so you'll be fine. Looks like you're needing it on occasion anyways.

That or free wi-fi. :D

sxtasy
04-06-2013, 11:59 AM
whats the best way to keep track of data useage while tethered (mac book pro and iphone 5). Do I have to contact my cell provider (Fido) to enable tethering?

What are the costs of your broadband unit on your laptop? Do you typically have to sign a contract like a cell provider?

TYMSMNY
04-06-2013, 12:04 PM
Tethering, i'm sure there's an app for that. I just don't remember it. Don't need to contact Fido.

I have it from Rogers, called the rocket stick. 2 year contact, 0$ cost.

Mar
04-11-2013, 06:38 PM
There used to be an option for tethering with your phone and you had to pay for it but thankfully technology caught up recently and you no longer have to do that. Your phone actually works just how you expect it would. You turn on the hotspot option on your phone and then look for the Wi-Fi network on your laptop just like if you were at home. Connect to the network like usual and you're online.

If you want to specify a name or password for your network you can do that in the options. I use my phone all the time, if you're not downloading media nor watching YouTube, you'll be fine.

sabad66
04-11-2013, 06:55 PM
On Rogers you can get an app called My Account to track usage. I'm sure Rogers has something similar

Mar
04-11-2013, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by sabad66
On Rogers you can get an app called My Account to track usage. I'm sure Rogers has something similar
Android itself does that .Which kind of phone is it?